Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleraytrace
Stranger

vegetarianism - dietary practices
    #542228 - 02/06/02 07:01 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Pythagoras of Samos, a very wise teacher of ancient Greece (philosopher, mathematician and musician) believed in immortality and transmigration of souls. He and his disciples followed moral and dietary practices in order to purify the soul for its next embodiment.

George Bernard Shaw, Anglo-Irish playwright, critic, believed vegetarians have radically different experiences from meat-eaters: ?pain is different, pleasure different, fever different, cold different, even love different?.

everyday we eat animals someone else has killed for us ? no blood, no dirty hands. since we eat them, why not try to cut some heads off first, watch them running around bleeding without a head, then remove skin and internal organs, then cook and eat

would you eat a dog or a monkey? if you?re open to other cultures, why not?

what impact do you think can a diet have on your life in general?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLord_A
Loc: Netherlands
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: raytrace]
    #542422 - 02/06/02 11:34 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I feel very good, i'm 38 and have been a vegetarian from when i was 15. Can't tell anything about the difference because i just don't remember meat anymore.

--------------------
a strange direction can be a beautiful opportunity

Anonymous

#542432 - 02/06/02 11:44 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I would like to not eat meat but it seems unavoidable sometimes. I believe the eating of animals has caused humanity to get very out of touch with nature. Especially in this fast food society..
When I go several days without eating meat I usually feel great, fruits and vegetables and beans and grain are so good as well.
Although red meat does play a role in increasing the sex drive.
I think we'll be at a good point when we can genetically engineer a pear to taste like a nice juicy filet mignon

OfflineLord_A
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: ]
    #542459 - 02/06/02 12:06 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

"Although red meat does play a role in increasing the sex drive"

I have a very high sex drive.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #542753 - 02/06/02 04:53 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I read an article a few days ago where they merged genes from a spinach plant into a pig or some other animal. They claimed it was the first time a plant gene had been inserted into an animal. They were hoping one day to make meat that had all the good stuff from plants as well. Ick. I would much rather just eat fruits and veggies and leave the meat to itself and the genetics to nature.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisibleraytrace
Stranger

#543488 - 02/07/02 09:26 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

come on now man, why would you like a pear to taste anything else but a pear? i think i agree with seuss, we better leave genetics to nature

inserting a plant gene into an animal will only cause millions of animals to be treated like food (not that it is not happening now), as if their existence is only to serve man.... chains of fast food restaurant serving *healthy* ?veggie-pork? - marketing campaigns with smiling little green pigs - this can only do further harm and alienation from nature.

the idea of fruits tasting like meat, doesn?t sound much appealing either... like japanese over-working-never-seen-the-light-of-day scientists trying to invent an implant that?ll make your dog sound like nightingale? i think there are a lot more to explore, and invest our energy on? not to mention problems to solve? why not just try to minimize our consumption of meat to the least possible? but then again the big companies will be angry, won?t they?

?do not rape nature, but obey her? ? my shit translation of an ancient greek saying

OfflineTeonanacatl fan
journeyman
    #543639 - 02/07/02 11:34 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

The mighty mushroom taught me the disadvantages of meat (especially red meat). When I eat meat, I feel intoxicated and i'ts harder for me to deal with negative energy.

On the other hand, I agree with shroomism, it's hard for me to be 100% vegetarian, because I don't have the time or patience to cook for myself and I can't really afford to buy vegetarian food everyday. So, I end up eating a lot of junk.

OfflineMentalHygene
otherworldly

Loc: Somewhere...Under the rai...
    #543668 - 02/07/02 12:09 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I tend to think that genetic engeneering would be more "out of touch with nature" than eating meat. At least meat is found in nature! Anyway, I too am trying to adopt a vegitarian lifestyle. LORD A: Do you have any suggestions as far as maintaining a balance of all necesary nutrients? Could you possiby run us through a typical days worth of meals? Thanks.

--------------------
"WHATS THE USE OF AUTONOMY WHEN A BUTTON DOES IT ALL?"

Offlinegluke bastid
Stinky Bum
Male User Gallery

Loc: Charm City
    #543785 - 02/07/02 02:01 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I put a hell of a lot of thought into what I eat. Before any meal I try to ask myself what I haven't been getting enough of, or what I feel like my body really needs. Dietary practices definetely affect a whole lot of other aspects of life.

I eat meat. But I do so selectively. I don't eat fast food meat. Fuck no. I don't eat meat everyday, just a couple times a week. The vast majority of my meals are vegetarian. I don't think eating meat is unhealthy, or that it makes my body "impure." The whole concept that you can have a pure body anyway is ridiculous to me. We consume poisons everyday, and we did when we still lived in caves. There are toxins everywhere, and, fortunately, our bodies are designed to expell these toxins quite effectively.

People who spend thousands of dollars to go "detoxifying" spas to eat nothing but celery and clay (they literally do) which makes you crap pretty much constantly
are the ones who are out of touch with nature.

I can understand the moral dillema with eating meat, not because it is wrong to kill an animal for food (they do it), but because humanity is horribly out of touch with the process of meat. One time I was up at my friends cabin for a while. The only meat I ate the whole time was a rabbit that we caught, cleaned, cooked and ate. It was the only guilt-free piece of meat I've ever eaten and it was absolutely delicious. One day, for my own moral beliefs, I hope to only eat meat that I catch myself. I don't know if that is realistic, though.

Just my loose thoughts on food.

--------------------
:hst:
Society in every form is a blessing,
but government at its best is but a necessary evil

- Thomas Paine

OfflineLord_A
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: gluke bastid]
    #543856 - 02/07/02 03:11 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Well, my thoughts: Being a vegetarian doesn't make you a healthy human. If only it was so simple. But then again, although i'm a vegetarian, i think the concept health (just like the concept clean) is strongly overrated. You're born, you live, you die. How soon or through wich terrible disease doesn't interest me really. I became a vegetarian because of the animals. I was young and naive. That went out of the window very quick. Now it's a habit, i really don't know why, i just can't stand meat anymore. In those years i've tried it a few times, but no. The one thing that i feel at this time in my life is that i think it's wierd to eat something that has the same texture than me, like canibalism. But that's a very personal issue. Besides that point there is the terrible manner in which animals are abused for profit. There's totaly no respect towards what feeds most of the people, the industry based on the meat thing makes me puke. Same for genetic manipulation and that's a real problem because you can hardly find any soya that's not geneticly manipulated. The total balance get's fucked up that way and i really hate that (even without red meat, i can get very agressive). I think on a personal level it's a personal thing, on a society level it's a fucked up thing. I can respect the people that respectfuly(!) kill their own food. I also can respect everybody that eats meat, i don't have a problem with the others eating meat part.

And the question about nutrients, like i said i'm no health freak (in fact, i'm smoking my lungs out of bussiness so...). If the question is, what can you eat instead of meat and not miss anything your body needs? There are a lot of alternatives, soya produkts for instance, beans are nice. Lots of "imitation meat", preprepared burgers from soya or something like that. But i also hate the idea that i should eat something that looks like meat and sort of tastes like it but isn't. You become a vegetarian because you don't want to eat meat anymore (i don't eat fish either by the way) so why would you want the form and taste of meat? (the form of a hamburger of all things...) If you want to get or stay healthy, take some kelp, spirulina, bee pollen and stuff like that every day.

--------------------

Edited by Lord_A (02/07/02 03:14 PM)

OfflineMentalHygene
otherworldly

Loc: Somewhere...Under the rai...
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: Lord_A]
    #544028 - 02/07/02 05:39 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Thank you for the info. On a side note, my main interest in becoming a vegitarian is because of the meat industry. It is totally disgusting......but I dont think I have what it takes to kill my own food.

--------------------
"WHATS THE USE OF AUTONOMY WHEN A BUTTON DOES IT ALL?"

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: MentalHygene]
    #544113 - 02/07/02 06:59 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I was raised a meat eater, but when I moved out on my own, I started eating veggie. A little at a time, then more and more.
Now I'm pretty much a full-fledged vegtable.

It just kinda happened. I never really made a consciece choice about it. Now when I see meat (when I go home, etc.), it just looks kinda grey and dead, and quivering, floppy. Not something I really want to eat. I swear it looks gross.

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

Edited by carbonhoots (02/07/02 07:01 PM)

Offlineemptyvessel
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: carbonhoots]
    #544136 - 02/07/02 07:32 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I've been a vegitarian for a long while now and I gotta say, the body feels goood, best it's ever felt. Personally I don't think it's wrong to eat meat if you take the animals life yourself and with respect, but I think it's revolting what goes on in slaugher houses, and it clearly shows how alienated and insane humans have become. If you truly care about animals but still want to eay meat I think you should, A: Kill them yourselfs, or B: Stop supporting the brutal practices of the meat industry.

"On the other hand, I agree with shroomism, it's hard for me to be 100% vegetarian, because I don't have the time or patience to cook for myself and I can't really afford to buy vegetarian food everyday. So, I end up eating a lot of junk."

Sence when are fruits, vegtables, grains, breans, nuts, etc expensive? I thought they were the cheapist of any food you could buy. Plus most natual foods can be eaten raw, unlike meat which I think humans wern't meant to eat in the first place.

Anyways, just some more jibberish to fill your minds. -Peace

OfflineLord_A
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: carbonhoots]
    #544531 - 02/08/02 04:59 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

"Now when I see meat (when I go home, etc.), it just looks kinda grey and dead, and quivering, floppy. Not something I really want to eat. I swear it looks gross. "

That kinda sums up my feelings as well. It's just too wierd.

--------------------

Anonymous

#544738 - 02/08/02 10:50 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

If they made fruit that tasted exactly like nice juicy bacon, I would eat it. That's all I'm saying.

Invisibleraytrace
Stranger

#547601 - 02/11/02 07:32 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

i think that if you're trying to become a vegetarian, you should know that you can get proteins from nuts (walnuts, peanuts etc), also, it would be nice to include some honey in your breakfast. then, there is this kind of fish oil, i don't know how is it called exactly - english not my parent language - you can get it probably from a pharmacy and it is used as supplementary source of nutrients-vitamins for vegetarians and other groups of people with special diets. soya is great but i don't think you can get any not genetically modified soya nowadays.

recently i heard this story that they genetically modified salmon in norway in order to increase their size, some salmons escaped the net, and now you can hardly find any naturally sized salmon.

also, there is an article i read somewhere on the net, i think there was timothy leary envolved in it, i can't quite remember a lot of it, but i think it was saying among others that a diet with increased proteins, and the use of drugs like coffee, amphetamines, cocaine etc. make your brain function more with its logical part and less with the imaginative.

some other vegetarians you might know : Allan Watts, Albert Einstein, Charles Darwin, Diogenes, H.G. Wells, Isaac Newton, Kraftwerk, Leonardo Da Vinci, Lisa Simpson, Mahatma Ghandi, Martin Luther, Nikola Tesla, Plato, Shopenhauer, Socrates, Steve Jobs, Tolstoy, William Blake, Zoroaster

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
    #547649 - 02/11/02 08:45 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I also heard that a diet high in fats decreases brain activity, as far as fish oil is concerned, I don't eat fish either. Is that where fish oil comes from? How about cheese, is anyone here having a hard time getting off the cheese? I don't buy cheese, but I am a freeloader, and where there are people eating cheese, I will join in.

OfflineDivine_Madness

Loc: The Netherlands
    #547718 - 02/11/02 10:09 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Me too is vegeterian, my parents are, so I am too.
I pretty much feel like a hypcrite, since I do still consume dairy products, and sometimes eggs.

But my biggest problem is the way we handle the vegetebles . Yes, I am serious.
Most people become vegeterians becouse of the way the animals are being abused in the slaughterhouses and stuff, but look at the vegetebels. Its just as horreble. Genetic manupulations is fully being practised, they live in horrible circumstanses in greenhouses, having no normal live.
Would you like to be a plant in such conditions?

It would be the best to only eat fruit and such, since these are completely made for consumption...

--------------------
its all placebo

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: Divine_Madness]
    #547723 - 02/11/02 10:13 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I have to agree, that plants seem to be lonely.
Maybe you should go lay down with them...

Or maybe, organic farming will come into style again.

OfflineDivine_Madness

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: nugsarenice]
    #547732 - 02/11/02 10:20 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Some stuff I forget to add:
Since it is pretty much imposseble to live with only fruits, I believe it is best to just eat bio-dynamic and ecological food (I hope those are the correct words) And to be thankfull for all that you consume. Everything you eat gives you some form of energy and so you should respect is for you can take this energy to yourself. It would even be best to live completely respecting and loving everything and accept life, simply live enlightend, couse in this way the energy you consume is being used in its most useful way.
Let its death be useful. Think for what you would like to be consumed, if that would be your destiny in life.

Well, something like that.

--------------------
its all placebo

Edited by Divine_Madness (02/11/02 10:22 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order