Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleraytrace
Stranger

Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: iangato]
    #557499 - 02/20/02 03:45 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

of course you shouldn't be ashamed for eating meat.

if meat-eating aliens were about to land on earth soon, would you prefer to be hunted to get eaten or would you rather be born and raised in a building with thousand others waiting to be eaten?

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlineketamatic
poolshark
Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: raytrace]
    #559401 - 02/22/02 09:37 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I have been vegetarian since May of last year. I have noticed no ill effects from not eating meat, but knowledge about nutrition is key if you are going 'out of the norm' so to speak. Check out the library, figure out how much protein, carbs, fat, etc. you need in your diet. You can get 100% nutrition you need without any animal products. Here's my contribution on veggie recipes: 1 can of stewed tomatoes, 1 can of whatever bean you like the most(I prefer kidney), 2 servings of cooked rice, a handful or so of shredded cheese(I think mozzarella is the best), and whatever spices you think will add to it, I like a dash of chilli pepper. Mix everything together and heat to your preference.

--------------------
"Tyin' off the dinosaur tonight used to be so cool, but now I've got the needle, and I can't shake, but I can't breathe, you take it away, but I want more and more, one day I'm gonna loose the war..."
--Bradley Nowell

OfflineGod_Killer
enthusiast
    #559707 - 02/22/02 03:01 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Damn you guys are wacked out. Pynchon is about the only vegetarian in this thread that made any sense. Meat isn't bad for you. Hell, scientists are now begining to find out that red meat is only bad for you IF the animal was fed a diet heavy in grains. Eating grass fed beef9what their suposed to eat) actually helps keep your arteries from getting clogged. So yous guys do have something of a point about factory farming being relatively unhealthy but a diet consisting of lean meats/wild game, vegetables, fruits, nuts etc. is completely healthy for you and is what your body has been designed to eat. I have personaly noticed that "long term" vegetarians usually look older than their actual age. By long term I mean 20 years more of vegetarianism. Damn hippies. I gotta stay out of this forum. Damn new age kooks get me all worked up with all this half thought out mumbo jumbo. Sorry for the rant. have a nice day.

--------------------
Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy.-Benjamin Franklin

OfflineGod_Killer
enthusiast
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: God_Killer]
    #559722 - 02/22/02 03:18 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Heres a link to bit of info about pre-historic human diets and such that might make you Krazy hippies rethink your belief that humans are herbivors.
http://www.beyondveg.com/cordain-l/metab-carn/metabolic-carnivory-1a.shtml

--------------------

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
    #559864 - 02/22/02 05:31 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Humans are neither herbivores or carnivores, they are both. You have the option to choose either one. I will let you think about this though, a person who eats only meat is less healthier then a person who eats everything but meat and dairy products. So how can meat be healthy? The reason most people eat meat is because their lazy, they would rather eat a quick meal of a hamburger, then sit down and eat 2 cups of rice and vegatables. About a 30 hour time difference.

Here are some more recipes that people here might like, even meat eaters.

Noodles fried in peanut oil
Cashews, 3$ a pound where I am
oatmeal with pineapple and pears, boil the oatmeal with them
rice cooked with vinegar and seaweed, (sushi without fish)
corn with sugar

I really don't have that many recipes, but I eat these same ones over and over again.

I also want to add, that their are studies which show that people who eat meat are lazier. So maybe the fat cell inhibits your energy synopsysis cells. I doubt you know much about these types of nervelike cells that are in your body, but neither do I, except that certain chemicals can dull your mind, or dull the pain, depending on how they react with your body, and the fat from meat is one of them. If you have ever been given lidocaine or novacaine you have experienced something like this, your nerve cells were made unfeeling, by clogging all your pores with a solution made up of some type of amino acid ( ?? not sure ??) . Also my body cannot handle acid and meat, maybe you can, but I cannot, I used to try to mix the two, and would always end up being sick, this is actually the root of me becoming a vegan. I decided that I would fast when I would trip, and found out that it really did help, so I just redesigned my diet of hamburgers, cheese type pastas, and made it the above.

OfflineArCh_TemPlaR
enthusiast
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: emptyvessel]
    #559898 - 02/22/02 05:53 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Meat: Some people cannot go on any vegen diet, no matter what. Meat is a necessity for some to maintain their health equal that of a vegan.

That may change due to the inethical production in the meat industry

Offlinemm.
addict
 User Gallery

Loc: England
    #559915 - 02/22/02 06:07 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

God_Killer heres some facts:

Cancer rates among vegetarians are 25-50 per cent less than non-vegetarians.

Vegetarians have half to three-quarters the risk of dying of heart disease compared to non-vegetarians.

Hypertension (high blood pressure) in vegetarians is one third to one half that of meat eaters.

95 per cent of all food poisoning comes from meat and animal products

Diabetes is much less likely to be a cause of death in vegetarians.

35 per cent of the world's people can be fed on a meat-based diet. A plant diet could feed everyone

--------------------
MAPS.org: supporting psychedelic and medical marijuana research since 1986

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: mm.]
    #559922 - 02/22/02 06:15 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

with all these facts, it makes people wonder whether we originated from herbivores or carnivores...

OfflineGod_Killer
enthusiast
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: nugsarenice]
    #560005 - 02/22/02 07:09 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

"Humans are neither herbivores or carnivores, they are both"
Ok, so far so good. We calls dem critters omnivors.

"You have the option to choose either one"
While I agree that as a free individual you have the choice to eat what you want, studies of the diets of pre-historic and modern primitive peoples shows that humans have evolved over [at least] hundreds of thousands of years twards a diet that includes quite a bit of meat.

"a person who eats only meat is less healthier then a person who eats everything but meat and dairy products"
While this may be true there is a goodly amount of evidence that sugests that a diet that includes lean (grass fed) red meat, fish, and lean poultry along with large servings of vegetables, fruits, some WHOLE grains and nuts is healthier than a vegan/vegetarian/frutarian/raw food diet.

"The reason most people eat meat is because their lazy"
I disagree. Convienience is not laziness. Many people who eat meat work long hard hours and acomplish many things in life but still neglect a healthful diet. Also, many simply do not like vegetables. While I enjoy and eat all types of non processed foods I enjoy and perfer the taste of meat(especially fish) to most plant foods.

"Also my body cannot handle acid and meat, maybe you can, but I cannot, I used to try to mix the two, and would always end up being sick, this is actually the root of me becoming a vegan."
I don't have any problems eating and tripping other than the fact that a full stomach(anything not just meat) seems to inhibit/slow the high. I just don't eat the day that I'm gonna trip. Then again i don't trip as much as I used to either. I must be gettin old.

"so I just redesigned my diet of hamburgers, cheese type pastas, and made it the above."
Hmburgers(i assume you mean from fast food joints) are loaded with saturated fats. Also the white bread that it's served on is processed all to hell and has no real value as food other than caloric value + because it's no longer a whole grain so it is metabolized very quickly( Complex vs. simple carbs and the glycemic index etc.) The same thing goes for the cheese in the pasta and the pasta itself. In my humble opinion you would have been as well off to simply switch to the type of diet I recommend than to deamonize meat.

OK I said my peace. I feel better now. Silly hippies:)

--------------------

OfflineGod_Killer
enthusiast
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: mm.]
    #560056 - 02/22/02 07:47 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I'm fairly certain that these statistic compare vegeterians to the general population. Problem is the general population eats shit. White bread, Processed food out of a box covered in white sugar. Not much fruit, fish, or vegetables. I personally know people who eat nearly zero veggies and lots of captain crunch and fatty meat. Compare the diets of oh lets say okinawans (they eat gobs of fish and have a cool kung fu sounding name for the art of not overeating) to the veggie heads and you'd be suprized. I believe i read that seventy percent of the that pop. lives to be 100. I'm not defending the standard american diet here. Hell man the plains indians ate shitloads o' buffalo and most of them that didn't die as children etc lived damn near forever. Recent studies have shown that the meat from cattle fed ONLY grass contains something that actually keeps plaque from building up in the arteries. I'm not sure but I think it's CSA or something like that? it's pretty hard to find grass fed cattle as it's more expensive to raise but some companies are beggining to carry it. it's quite a bit of work to eat healthfully in our society but to compare the modern american diet to vegetarianism is simply unfair. I'm saying eat some fish, eat some meat, eat up to 10 servings of vegetables, about five of fruit(lots of berries), some whole oats/barley/wheat/etc. and some nuts. As to feeding the world? I could care less about the world. It's grossly overpopulated already. Them damn third worlders are sittin on prime grazin land. if we quit feedin em i could get a nice estate in argentina and raise me some cows. Moo. Silly hippies:)

--------------------

OfflineGod_Killer
enthusiast
    #560063 - 02/22/02 07:51 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

"with all these facts, it makes people wonder whether we originated from herbivores or carnivores... "

We evolved from herbivors to a omnivorous diet. This is pretty much the oposite of how most other omnivours evolved.

--------------------

Offlineemptyvessel
    #560905 - 02/23/02 08:40 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

"Them damn third worlders are sittin on prime grazin land. if we quit feedin em i could get a nice estate in argentina and raise me some cows. Moo. Silly hippies:)"

Funny.

Why must you stigmatize bro? do we not feel seprate enough as it is? ... I know you could probably say the same about me but hey that's alright... I'm not ripe yet.

OfflineCoolMojo
Imagination iswhat you make ofit
Folding@home Statistics
    #560921 - 02/23/02 08:58 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I beleive nug said he saw eating fatty foods decreased brain activity. Keep this in mind if your a vegan....
The neurons in your brain are coated with protein, this protein acts as a sorta lubricate/insilator. The less of it you have the slower the nuerons in your brain fire and subsequently the slower you think. If your not eating meat make VERY sure you are  getting enough protein, someone else said they can't eat something they're made out of but keep in mind that if you are eating something your made out of your getting most of what you need to create yourself :blush:) if you eat meat or not doesn't matter just make sure you get a varied diet as in don't eat carrots all day long or you'll get sick, same for steak. Variety is the only need humans have in their diet, the rest is just nit picking.
Shroomism: If you would like to give up meat but not milk and cheese I'd like to point out that dairy cows are kept MUCH!!! better then they would be in the wild or at a meat farm. They live like royalty so if thats your reservation, don't worry and eat all the cheese you want.

OfflineGod_Killer
enthusiast
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: emptyvessel]
    #561008 - 02/23/02 10:38 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Just ignore some of the stuff I say or at least take it with grain o' salt. I tend go out of my way to avoid political correctness and to make sure everybody knows I'm a nuckle draggin neanderthal redneck.

--------------------

Offlinedrunkgoat
addict

#561096 - 02/24/02 12:25 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
Give a man a match and he will be warm for an hour. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Edited by 3DSHROOM (02/24/02 12:48 AM)

Anonymous

#564483 - 02/27/02 03:40 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I think even those in this discussion who are not ENTIRELY veggy may like some of the recipes here.

http://www.harekrishna.com/col/books/VEG/ht/welcome.html#Chapter%207

It is a VERY cool place for recipes and maybe a new idea or two for some. :wink:
It may be a bit redundant for some, but covers almost every point brought out in this thread. The health aspect of veggie diets,economic advantages,ethical reasonings and also spiritual meanings in diet and offerings. But most important for some here, it has some of the best recipes EVER from all ethnic backgrounds!! YUM!

:tongue: ~K~

InvisiblePsilocyberSpace
addict

Loc: Being
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: ]
    #564486 - 02/27/02 03:48 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Perfect thank you!

--------------------
Ours is not a better way, ours is merely another way.

Invisibleraytrace
Stranger

Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: ]
    #564605 - 02/27/02 09:40 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

great! thanx

OfflineChonger
Olive grower

Loc: England
    #570306 - 03/05/02 08:20 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I've been a vegetarian for about 2 years now, and i think i am much healthier than i was when i was eating a lot of meat.
I started by limiting all the meat which i ate, then i slowly removed red meat from my diet, followed by all meat, and then finally fish.
It wasnt hard at all, and i dont miss meat much at all anymore.
I eat a mostly mediteranean diet, lots of olive oil, garlic, onions, peppers, pasta, nuts, beans, and lentils. Theres so much diversity in a vegetarian diet.
The reason i chose to be vegetarian was because i have serious doubts about the meat industry, and living in the UK, you can probably understand why. But mostly because i dont like the idea of meat being packaged and dealt with in a way so that when it reaches the consumer, its easy to forget just where it came from, and what was done to it.
Meat is obviously a major food source for us these days, and i doubt it will decline too much in popularity, although vegetarianism is increasing in popularity.
I agree with what someone else said about meat making them feel intoxicated, and i have found this the case with me also.
I think this is caused by meat being particularly hard to digest, which adds to the debate of whether humans were ever  intended to eat meat. Another point which suggests not, is that we cook all our meat. Strange indeed :wink:

My favorite vegetarian foods are those with lots of garlic, herbs, tomatoes, olives and olive oil, mmm.

--------------------
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than have a frontal lobotomy

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: Chonger]
    #570396 - 03/05/02 11:45 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

There are a couple buddhist books, which mention that people used to have longer lives, around 900 years. Then we all became a bunch of lazy inbred meat eaters, and drastically killed our life span. Just look at parrots, most live longer then us. There might be some truth to it, this information does come from a chinese buddhist sect, so I don't know if this is a belief of all buddhists.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder