Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSalmon_Cake
Stranger
 User Gallery

Need help to ID these
    #5417482 - 03/18/06 10:43 PM (18 years, 14 days ago)

I just found these about two hours ago, I'll post all the information and pictures I possibly can. I live in A.C.T Australia and found these in a city park, in a grass patch undersome Oak trees. In the same area there was a shaggy ink cap, some (I think) death caps, and a lot of small puffballs.

These mushrooms have:
Cap diameter - 0.75-2cm
Cap height - 1-1.5cm
The cap is dry to the touch, bell-shaped, chesnut brown, and has an obvious 'mushroomy' smell which I would say is similar to common field mushrooms.
There is a distinct membrane from the edge of the cap to the stem that looks a lot like spider webs. The edge of the caps become wavy(it's hard to describe but you can see it in the pictures). The gills are dark brown. I'm doing a spore print right now but it doesn't seem like very much is coming out, i'll post the print later if it works.
The stem is pale grey with a slight tinge of creamy pink.
Stem height- 1.5-2cm
Stem diameter- 0.5-1cm

Hopefully that's enough information to succesfully ID. I also have a few pictures:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Need help to ID these [Re: Salmon_Cake]
    #5417503 - 03/18/06 10:53 PM (18 years, 14 days ago)

The spiderweb like veil is called a cortina. It is typical of the genus Cortinarius, but other genera also exhibit this trait. Your mushroom s are immature so it may be difficult to get a spore print from them, however, spore print color will be essential to help us pin down what you have collected.

OfflineSalmon_Cake
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Need help to ID these [Re: shroomydan]
    #5417655 - 03/18/06 11:45 PM (18 years, 14 days ago)

The spore print I had was dark brown/black. Are the majority of mushrooms in the Cortinarius family inedible/poisonous? Also, if it helps, the gills are actually pale coffee-brown, the 'meat' is white, and no part of the mushroom stains.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: Need help to ID these [Re: Salmon_Cake]
    #5417789 - 03/19/06 12:44 AM (18 years, 14 days ago)

if they are quite robust and solid stiped then theres a good chance of them being stropharia rugosso-annulata

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Need help to ID these [Re: Mitchnast]
    #5418103 - 03/19/06 08:07 AM (18 years, 13 days ago)

The cortina rules out rugosoannulata, which exhibits a robust persistent ring, however, the dark spore color and general appearance do seem to suggest Stropharia. Cortinarius have lighter brown spores.

Quote:

Are the majority of mushrooms in the Cortinarius family inedible/poisonous?

Cortinarius is the largest genus of gilled mushrooms; many are poisonous and very few are considered edible.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates