Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTurricaN
Grasshopper
Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
Listening to Terence McKenna whilst high
    #5407589 - 03/16/06 10:04 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I tried listening to Terence McKenna last night whilst rather high on marijuana. To be specific, it was "Tree of Knowledge (Tape 2 of 8)" where he is describing the DMT experience from start to finish and what it means. I'd listened to this before whilst sober, but it's just so awesome whilst high, and it made so much more sense to me! Like, I could comprehend exactly what he was talking about visually and the effects he got from the DMT, and even relate to things he said that I would normally dismiss. I almost felt like I had taken a journey with him after it finished, it was so weird. (I've never tried DMT, but I am so curious after listening to that). Terence McKenna had one very powerful mind I think, but it's so hard for most people to comprehend because he was thinking so outside the box.

I'd normally just listen to music whilst high, and this has to be one of the most interesting experiences I've ever had with marijuana.

Any thoughts?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAround In Circles
Eternally Recurring

Re: Listening to Terence McKenna whilst high [Re: TurricaN]
    #5407649 - 03/16/06 10:28 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I have done the same and with very similar results, very cool stuff to listen to.  I also listen to Bill Hicks on occasion while stoned, usually followed by Aenima :mushroom2:

Try Bill Hicks Rants in E Minor  :thumbup:

--------------------
"When you get the message, hang up the phone." - Alan Watts

We Die to Remember What We Live to Forget

OfflineTurricaN
Grasshopper
Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
Re: Listening to Terence McKenna whilst high [Re: Around In Circles]
    #5411435 - 03/17/06 06:03 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds good. Do you happen to know where I can get ahold of any Bill Hicks stuff?

Offlineoblivia
Stranger
    #5411497 - 03/17/06 06:57 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

use limewire, thats how i got two shows.

Offlinewjames
Phenomenologist

Loc: Europe
    #5412589 - 03/17/06 12:37 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I certainly agree that McKenna's thinking was out of the box.

Here's a suggestion: ever read anything by John Lilly? He had some really good ideas. And maybe things you can apply practically--more so than with McKenna.

--------------------
"We're all in this consciousness-raising business together."
"An idle mind is the devil's workshop."
"Everyone should eat hashish, but only once." - S. Dali

OfflineAnimals
Just Danson inthe Dark
 User Gallery

Re: Listening to Terence McKenna whilst high [Re: wjames]
    #5414553 - 03/17/06 09:00 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Listened to him talk on mushrooms for 4 hours on the Art Bell program.

Also listened to the whole 8 hours of the Tree of Knowledge at Work, Didn't even take a lunch break.

Edited by Animals (03/17/06 09:01 PM)

Offlinestemmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Listening to Terence McKenna whilst high [Re: Animals]
    #5414607 - 03/17/06 09:42 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

wjames said----------> "Here's a suggestion: ever read anything by John Lilly? He had some really good ideas. And maybe things you can apply practically--more so than with McKenna".

Just so you all know, mckenna was an artist when it came to his theories.
He is also very hard to understand for some because he never just comes out and explains a theory all at once. Thats why I like him so much. He is an artist, and actually most of what he says is not very "out there" when you really think about it. Then again some things take a stretch of the imagination, and those might just be the places where he is writing about something so foreign and unspeakable, that the only way to paint a picture of the idea is to be extreemely "out there" and to skip around a great deal. Like his time wave model that is well know to have no real substance to it, though it says something very interesting that *could* be true. His particulare data set makes no sense though

John C Lilly, was a very smart man, but half as artistic with his writing when compared to mckenna. His ideas are quite streight forward, and he writes like a science textbook/science fiction novel.
He however takes the cake in the realm of "crazy", though he was a more hands on scientist(his work with dolphin communication etc).
Some of his theories are so messy that I personally dont want to read any further, its just a waist of time.
He focuses a great deal on the conscious intentions of the universe. If an asteroid hit earth and kills everything, the little aliens inside his head told him it will be because all the unconscious material in the universe got together(rocks, trees, dirt, time) and desided the fate of our earth. Like as if an ongoing battle between consciousness and space time is at play at all times.
Its really nuts just to hear him give his all his logic behind it for around 40 pages. Including the fact that he admits how he really feels and which entities told him these things.
He did sort of go crazy, but when he was craziest he had some great ideas and some really crazy(less-applicable/interesting) ones. His daily use of Ketamine did get the best of him.

I think they are in the same boat. Lilly was far nuttier, and a good deal of his material are works of science fiction induced by ketamine. So I wouldnt say his work is more "applicable".
Thats my take on it anyways.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order