Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleisis
addict
Lies about sex.... lies about the budget
    #520999 - 01/14/02 09:43 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Bill Press is a syndicated columnist and the co-host of CNN's Crossfire, which airs Monday-Friday at 7:30 p.m.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill Press: Bush leads U.S. from A-OK to IOU
August 29, 2001 Posted: 4:23 PM EDT (2023 GMT)

By Bill Press, Tribune Media Services

WASHINGTON (Tribune Media Services) -- Which would you rather have, a president who lies about sex, or a president who lies about the budget?

We know Bill Clinton lied about his personal sex life. He said he didn't have an affair with Monica Lewinsky when in fact he did, sort of. At the time, that was considered the worst thing any president could do. Americans were shocked. He was even impeached for it.

And now we know George Bush is lying about the budget. And that?s pretty shocking, too.

The big Bush budget lie was unveiled this week by the Congressional Budget Office. Let?s stop there for a moment. There are two sources for budget information: the White House and the CBO. In any administration, one is partisan, the other is non-partisan. One cooks the books, the other reports the facts. No matter who is president, I'll trust the CBO over the White House. You should, too.

According to the CBO, the mighty U.S. surplus -- on which Bush?s across-the-board tax cut was based -- has melted quickly and dramatically, from a projected $275 billion in May to $153 billion today. That?s a loss of $122 billion in expected revenue in just 4 months.

Only one-third of that reduction, says the CBO, is due to the ongoing economic slowdown, but two-thirds of it disappeared in the Bush tax cut.

Making matters worse, almost every penny of that still-intact $153 billion isn?t really a government surplus, at all. It?s extra money collected by Social Security taxes. It?s that famous ?lockbox? -- which every Republican and Democrat has promised never to steal from again, under pain of death, because it belongs to seniors and should not be tapped to pay for fixing potholes or paying government salaries.

But this year, the White House and the Congress will be forced to raid the lockbox. Just paying for current government obligations -- no new spending -- will require taking $9 billion from the Social Security surplus in the current fiscal year, $18 billion in 2003, and another $3 billion in 2004.

Dancing to explain how he managed to lead the country from A-OK to IOU in just 4 months, President Bush has come up with two answers, neither of them convincing. First, he blames the Congress for big spending. This is absolute nonsense. The only new money in the budget this year is for education and defense, both of which Bush asked for himself, and neither of which has yet been approved.

Next, Bush does what all Republicans do whenever there?s bad news. He blames Bill Clinton, arguing that Clinton?s policies caused the economy to decline, but that it will bounce back, as soon as the tax cut kicks in. Wrong again.

The eight Clinton years were a time of unprecedented economic growth, at the end of which came a natural slowdown.

But there?s no sign the Bush tax cut has re-stimulated the economy at all, so far. And, again, according to the CBO, the worst is yet to come, because the Bush tax cut grows over time, requiring even more money to be stolen from Social Security in the years ahead.

Which is just what George Bush promised never to do. As a candidate, he insisted there was enough money to cut taxes, increase military spending and pay for prescription drug benefits without dipping into the Social Security surplus. As president, he vowed he would never, never touch the Social Security surplus. He?s lucky his nose didn't grow.

The truth is, Bush has nobody to blame but himself. On a macro level, he made the same stupid mistake everyone of us, on the micro level, has learned to avoid. He spent money he didn't have. Worse yet, he gave away money the government didn't have. He pushed a tax cut through Congress without knowing how much money was in the bank. He squandered the surplus on an irresponsible tax cut. And now he has no choice but to steal from Social Security or go back to the days of deficit spending.

Which would you rather have, a president who lies about sex, or a president who lies about the budget? Frankly, I'd rather have a president who lies about nothing. But lying about the budget is a lot more serious than lying about sex, because it hurts a lot more people. Impeachment hearings, anyone?

Edited by isis (01/14/02 09:44 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
Re: Lies about sex.... lies about the budget [Re: isis]
    #521021 - 01/14/02 10:01 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I know what you mean. I guess when this guy got his degree in politics, it was a bought grade. Because just like how his state ranked 48th in statistics, the country is going to follow the same example. Anyways what do you know, are you not some evil god that polytheistic egyptians worshipped?
If you know of any good reading of isis, you should post it, i just recently became familiar with the concept.

Invisibleisis
addict
Re: Lies about sex.... lies about the budget [Re: nugsarenice]
    #521093 - 01/14/02 11:03 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

LOL. Yes, she's an egyptian Goddess. She's a supreme god of egyptian mythology. Evil.....no. I guess it depends on what side she was on. Check your PM's because the history of Isis can get very long.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #521419 - 01/15/02 04:02 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

oh no whe're all gonna die...GWB is satan...run and get your welfare checks before he steals them from us....Clinton did nothing for the economy during his term and you know it...we are seeing them effects as we speak. Economics 101 will sow you this.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
Re: Lies about sex.... lies about the budget [Re: Innvertigo]
    #521800 - 01/15/02 11:03 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Yep, I'm sure the seed that inspired your post was sown in Econ 101.

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Loc: Fire in the sky
    #521816 - 01/15/02 11:17 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Bush lied about the budget during his campaign too. His numbers just don't add up, never have. I don't think Bush intends to lie about the budget. He's just not a very bright man.

And Clinton didn't just lie about sex. He lied about everything. He lied about smoking pot, about Chinese campaign contributions, about the statistics he used in his crime bill, about his budget, etcetera. You name it he probably lied about it. He was the king of political liars.

Comparing GW to Clinton's lieing isn't a fair comparison. Clinton was just a liar, cheat, and a theif and didn't care as long as he benefited in some way... Hillary is a real peice of work too...

Innvertigo, the economics 101 argument is the last ditch argument of the desperate. Using it shows the weakness of your positions.

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Lies about sex.... lies about the budget [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #522119 - 01/16/02 06:31 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

and your conspicy rants are just plain pathetic...all of them

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Invisibleisis
addict
    #522138 - 01/16/02 07:21 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Iam well aware that economics 101 has everything to do with poor GWB's predicament. I read an article about a 8 months prior to the election stating that the party that won the election would in a way loose. This recession has been along time comming. It would have happenned no matter who won the white house.Basically the article discussed how who ever won would be screwed because during the next few years the economy is expected to be rocky.The losing party will gain from not being in control at this time. The party in power will be blamed and will pay the political price. Democrat or republican would not have mattered. Either party would have paid the price. So, basically who ever got elected to be our next president was screwed from the start.It so happens that GWB will be paying the price. It may not be his fault, but he will pay for it politically.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#522151 - 01/16/02 08:03 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

***I read an article about a 8 months prior to the election stating that the party that won the election would in a way loose. This recession has been along time comming****

I thought it was GWB's fault?...actually the downturn happen coincedentaly the same time microsoft got pounded by Klinton. GWB got pounded on by the media for "talking down the economy" before the election....maybe he's smarter then people think

****It would have happenned no matter who won the white house.****

i agree....we have Klinton to thank for it

****It so happens that GWB will be paying the price. It may not be his fault, but he will pay for it politically.****

so far he's the highest rated president....so we'll see

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Invisibleisis
addict
    #523748 - 01/17/02 06:18 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I don't so much blame the recession on GWB.However, I hold him responsible for fiscal mismanagement. What surplus he did receive he squandered.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#524226 - 01/18/02 06:42 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

****I hold him responsible for fiscal mismanagement. What surplus he did receive he squandered. ****

what fiscal mismanagement?....a surplus is not the governments money, hence "SURPLUS", it's the taxpayers money...

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Invisiblewingnutx

#529712 - 01/24/02 01:10 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Deficit spending is perfectly justified during an emergency, just as personal debt is sometimes appropriate.

The economy was long overdue for a correction. You can only sell so many shares of discount-spatulas.com before people wonder if they're actually worth anything.

I don't think Clinton even realized when he was lying anymore, he did it so often.

Invisibleisis
addict
Re: Lies about sex.... lies about the budget [Re: wingnutx]
    #530682 - 01/25/02 12:52 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

For me it is not a question of is it justified or not. Just don't lie about it.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#530865 - 01/25/02 08:42 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

when did he lie about it?

Bush got slammed for "talking down" the economy before he was president..and when it happened who got blamed? Bush did. Kilinton not only lied about sex (i could really care less) he lied about the economy and much, much more.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Invisibleisis
addict
    #530995 - 01/25/02 12:17 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

There's a huge difference between the budget statements comming out of the white house and the ones comming out of the CBO. The white house is painting a much rosier picture of the budget. They are lying about their numbers. We are into huge deficit spending. Blame the recession,blame new tax laws,blame 9/11,the war, but we are into deficit.

Edited by isis (01/25/02 12:26 PM)

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#531020 - 01/25/02 12:53 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

****The white house is painting a much rosier picture of the budget. They are lying about their numbers. ****

I'm sorry i'm a creature of proof..where is your proof? I don't think there is an argument about whether we're in a recession and the economy is back up to where it was around 911 (or in the general area) Bush has said that. He also warned us it was coming before he was in office.

****We are into huge deficit spending****

Relative to what?

****. Blame the recession****

No blame it on the pathetic prior administrations policies..Bush's policies could not possibly have affected the economy that fast...no president could .

****blame new tax laws****

Cuyting taxes based on a surplus doesn't cost money so this is a mute point

****blame 9/11****

has something to do with it..at least the defense spending

****the war, but we are into deficit. ****

no one is arguing that except you..even Bush agrees..

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Offlinethenetherworld
journeyman
    #541312 - 02/05/02 12:17 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Politics is all about lies and sex. It doesnt really matter what "small " transgression the public is aware of at the moment, there are thousands we will never know about. Politicians lie to us then **** us constantly, you are utterly correct!!

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Re: Lies about sex.... lies about the budget [Re: thenetherworld]
    #541481 - 02/05/02 03:21 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I'd say that bush's private and most important agenda is making sure we secure the atlantic pacific border. That is where he and his whole cult are battling the threat of a cuba/china staging point for 2013.

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
    #541484 - 02/05/02 03:24 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

What I was saying is that is where we are hurting economically. War money in the amounts of hundreds of billions that was not being spent during the clinton administration. What is that? 100 dollars a person per month? That can mean the difference from lower class to homeless for some people.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#541575 - 02/05/02 05:36 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

eh?

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies