Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineAbstractSoul

Reality vs. the mushroom
    #539773 - 02/03/02 11:13 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

i've seen some talk on here about seeing and communicating with "aliens", among other things, while tripping. my question is: why exactly do you see these experiences as "real" and not drug induced. i have friends that have seen dragons flying above their house, elves running alongside their car and giant buddha's in the middle of the road. they dont see these visions as events that actually happened though. i have seen things like peoples faces melting, but they definitely weren't. dont get me wrong, i'm not attacking anyone's beliefs, or the spirituality associated with shrooms. just looking for a little insight.

--------------------
---------------------------------------------
house is a spiritual thing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Reality vs. the mushroom [Re: AbstractSoul]
    #539790 - 02/03/02 11:44 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Good luck on getting a rational answer.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlinegribochek
enthusiast
    #539813 - 02/04/02 12:01 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

AbstractSoul, I am challenging you, Swami and everyone else to please, please, define what you mean by "actually happened"....

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

Re: Reality vs. the mushroom [Re: gribochek]
    #539823 - 02/04/02 12:09 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Well, what "actually happened" means is this: The persons face did not physically melt. There was not a physical elf running around. "Actually" basically means physically, carbon based, on this plane, correct? Whether or not you look at the phenomenon at a deeper level is another matter. That's usually where things get interesting, but that's also where you get into "belief" territory.

--------------------

OfflineKeepAskingTime
addict
Loc: Central PA
Re: Reality vs. the mushroom [Re: Ulysees]
    #540025 - 02/04/02 05:56 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Well, the elf wasn't physical per say.....because elves (usually anyway) have their conscious bodies in a different vibration, to the 4th density.  Same thing with fairies, but I dunno about dragons and buddhas though.  Here's looking forward to post-2003!  Heheh.
:smile:

--------------------
I'm praying for infinite lapdances in heaven and an infinite supply of cocaine to snort out of Angelina Jolie's ass crack.

Offlinegribochek
enthusiast
    #540391 - 02/04/02 03:23 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

"Actually" basically means physically, carbon based, on this plane, correct?

Correct or not is not for me to say. But notice that you have shifted one undefined term (actual) into another undefined term (physical). Whatever you call it, physical, objective, real, sober, confirmed, whatever, what is that state of being?

I will expand on this a little bit with more questions.

1. Did you actually dream that dream which you dreamt last night? You did, actually, have that dream, right? Will you, can you and should you find any independent confirmation, any objective measure by which you can be assured of the dream's actuality?

2. In a mirror you can see a reflection of a vase. Is the reflection still there once you leave? The actuality of reflection _can_ be independently confirmed by _any_ observer which comes into contact with the mirror, yet, it is clear that only two positions are self-consistent in this regard, a) The reflection is always there, and b) the reflection is never there. This matter, no doubt will raise objections, such as "a reflection is a percieved object, not real, for it is just how the rays of light interact with the mirror and your eyes". To this I ask "Do you mean to say that seeing any reflection is a hallucination?" and also "what if there were no mirror at all, but just a screen preventing one to touch the object?".

The questions like this will never end in any meaningful way for as long as one doesn't understand that objective/physical/actual reality is no more then a construct of the mind. This is very-very easy to see. Suppose there was an experiement to prove objective reality of an object/phenomenon independent of perception. How would you know the results of such experiment? By perceiving them in some form (reading, hearing, seeing, etc.) dependent on human sense organs, which makes the experiment dependent on perception once again. Thus the only way to invision objective reality is to believe in it without prove.

-- Grib

OfflineLord_A
Loc: Netherlands
    #540430 - 02/04/02 04:10 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Okay, you see an alien. You could say: hmm, maybe i should investigate this further.

In the end it doesn't matter because you're the only one that really exists, so you are the one that determines what's true and real.

Doubt is Knowledge

--------------------
a strange direction can be a beautiful opportunity

Anonymous

#540520 - 02/04/02 05:50 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Well for me personally, the ratio of aliens seen while tripping vs aliens seen while sober or in a meditative state is about 1:100
Anyway if I see something..its real enough for me.
Some people see dark evil figures while walking through the woods at night...does this mean those evil forces are actually there? Or are they a manifestation of that own persons subconscious fears? Or are they just tricks of the eye with shadows?Either way, the force is very real.

OfflineAbstractSoul

Re: Reality vs. the mushroom [Re: Lord_A]
    #540522 - 02/04/02 05:51 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

definition of "actually happened": "aliens", or anything else, communicated with or seen truely exist in some form and are not the result of your mind and your mind alone creating images and experiences due to being under the effects of the almight mushroom(or anything else). hope that made at least a little sense...

--------------------

OfflineAbstractSoul

Re: Reality vs. the mushroom [Re: ]
    #540528 - 02/04/02 05:57 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

well, i have a lot of experience with meditation and i would not consider being in a meditative state sober. meditation can be as intense as a trip and meditating is a lot like dreaming. meditation is also all about the mind, so once again anything experienced can be due to your mind creating it, not that it is "actually happening".

--------------------

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

#540546 - 02/04/02 06:26 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Alright grib, you're just going to keep asking questions aren't you. :wink: I see what you're saying, but you have to have a little faith in the "real" world if you want to live in it.
That stuff about mirrors was pretty interesting though. I haven't thought of that before. A mirror is reflecting everything at once, but we only perceive a small amount of it. Can you imagine perceiving everything reflected off a mirrors surface? Maybe I'm heading in the wrong direction with this, I'm stopping because there isn't much point in continuing. It's actually not that mind boggling compared to other things, like this: When you look at your blue jeans, you see blue. The jeans are actually every color except blue, but they're all reflecting at once and cancelling eachother out... Or at least it's something like that, I can't quite remember. Anyhow, that's kind of what a mirror is doing I guess, but not really. 

--------------------

OfflineAxiom420
ADDICT

Loc: in the forest, behind the...
    #540760 - 02/04/02 10:28 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

since we can't come to a common definition of reality???
maybe the problem is that we are not capable of creating or finding a perfect definition, due to the nature of reality the definition can not be reasoned and therefore doesn't exist.
"I saw..." and "I experienced..." and "I felt..." are all very subjective. To advance you need to start communication on the level of "It was reasoned to be, in this manner..." to get a little more objective. Speak in forms of immediate inference and syllogisms and in the forms for using these. Then...maybe we could actually have a meaningful conversation in here, instead of this meaninless "My bullshit is better than yours." crap.

I'm gonna go use my Mayan calendar for toliet-paper now while I contemplate how crop circles are made by the ani of giant aliens that look like floating mushroom caps.

Barbara, Celarent, Darii, Ferioque prioris;
Cesare, Camestres, Festino, Baroko, secundae;
Tertia: Darapti, Disamis, Datisi, Felapton,
Bokardo, Ferison, habet; quarta insuper addit
Bramantip, Carnenes, Dimaris, Fesapo, Fresison.

Where does it all go?

http://www.physical-congress.spb.ru/english/Bernshtein/1/Bernshtein.htm

We have the capability to be knowledgable in areas of science, philosophy, the inexplicable, and of discussing things articulately and accurately. Inform yourself.

--------------------
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
- Albert Einstein

OfflineTimeleech
addict
Loc: Norway
    #541007 - 02/05/02 05:20 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

The jeans has no colour. It absorbs light of any wavelength, except blue. This is reflected, and hits your eye, where the light is flipped vertically through your lens. Then the cells at the back of your eye recieve the light. Some convert the wavelength to electrical signals and send the signal to your brain. The other cells convert the amplitude and convert....

Then I'd imagine that the visual cortex takes over. Neurons fire, synapses release and recieve chemicals, and somehow you percieve colour. But the jeans have no colour.
Correct me if I've got any details wrong.

A mirror reflects all the light. Thus a mirror has either no colour, or all colour, depending on how you define it.

>Can you imagine perceiving everything reflected off a mirrors surface?
Can you imagine percieven everything reflected by your jeans? You would see your pants from all angles at the same time.

--------------------
--
Eternally boggled, flummoxed, bewildered and surprised.
theophagy.org

Offlinegribochek
enthusiast
Re: Reality vs. the mushroom [Re: Axiom420]
    #541091 - 02/05/02 07:43 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

To advance you need to start communication on the level of "It was reasoned to be, in this manner..."

To advance where?

to get a little more objective

I see now.

maybe we could actually have a meaningful conversation in here, instead of this meaninless "My bullshit is better than yours." crap.

You seem to have started the "meaningful" part :smile:

I'm gonna go use my Mayan calendar for toliet-paper now while I contemplate how crop circles are made by the ani of giant aliens that look like floating mushroom caps

Here the meaninful part takes the life of its own...

'nuff said

-- Grib 

Offlinegribochek
enthusiast
    #541095 - 02/05/02 07:54 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

you have to have a little faith in the "real" world if you want to live in it.

Meaning if I don't have faith, I will not live in a the real world? Where would I live? Considering that we were talking about "real" meaning "physical"/"objective" do I have to have faith in "physical" world to live in it? How precicely correct you are, not even meaning to have been :smile:

This is exactly what happens. To perceive some kind of objective reality we must have faith in it. This is what is at the core of scientific swamism -- faith, not proof. Talk about falcification and control of the masses...

-- Grib.

InvisiblePynchon
Slow Learner

Loc: New Zealand
    #541115 - 02/05/02 08:34 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Personally, I'm prepared to accept "objective reality" purely on the grounds of modesty. It's too hard for me to believe that you're all a figment of my imagination...I'm just not that resourceful :wink: 

OfflineAbstractSoul

#541357 - 02/05/02 12:53 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

ok...i would just like to throw this whole real meaning physicall idea out the window. that isn't what i meant at all, and i tried to explain that in my earlier post.
what i meant by real was, the beings that you see or commmunicate with are not only figments of your imagination and actually exist in some form, somewhere in the universe or elsewhere.

--------------------

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

#541370 - 02/05/02 01:06 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

>what i meant by real was, the beings that you see or commmunicate with are not only figments of your imagination and actually exist in some form, somewhere in the universe or elsewhere.

That's pretty much exactly what I meant too. We're never going to overcome the language barrier.

Timeleech: Your description of the "color system" sounds right. You rang all the right bells in my head with that one. :wink:

Gribocheck: What I meant about having faith in the "real" world, is remembering to eat "real" food, and drink "real" water, otherwise your "physical existence" here is in jeopardy... I hope that doesn't pose too many parrallels or holes. :smile: 

Oh, and that deeper meaning stuff was not intended, but understood.
We have to have a little faith in this existence. If we didn't, we probably wouldn't be sportin around town, using our computers, etc etc... There are people who seem to have no cognitive recognition of this world. The lucky ones end up in good institutions or in the care of loved ones. Where exactly they are, I don't know. They don't seem to be "brain dead", so they must be "somewhere". Perhaps their minds are tuned into something that their bodies can't exist with... I don't mean Shangri-La, just something.

Anyhow, these words I've thrown out into the publics eye probably aren't conveying the same message they're meant to, but a wise man once told me not to worry so much about what message gets across... :wink:

--------------------

Edited by Ulysees (02/05/02 01:18 PM)

OfflineAxiom420
ADDICT

#541654 - 02/05/02 07:40 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

subjective levels of understanding are indeterminable as to their value. especially when no one has agreed upon a common definition of even one thing.

i recognize that i am not alone here, where ever here is. i don't believe that everyone else is just a grand hallucination in my mind, whatever that is. i just accept that other individuals exist, that i am capable of communicating with them, of being able to manipulate certain aspects of the physical universe at my will, and that i am not fundamentally different than these other individuals.

to appropriate sense, when one really has none, is to put out a foul mockery of intelligent communication. the meaning of the message is important. nonsense is not a message. monsense is just nonsense.

just because a communication is intended doesn't mean that a response, a formed opinion, or understanding that appears to happen in another individual is related to the original message. just because they occur at the same time doesn't mean they're related. this is the case when definitions are not discused. meaningless nonsense.

--------------------
- Albert Einstein

OfflineAxiom420
ADDICT

Re: Reality vs. the mushroom [Re: Axiom420]
    #541659 - 02/05/02 07:51 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

top.
i suppose that the real question is what do we mean by real.
is real that which i percieve?
or is it something static regardless of my own experience of it?

real is that which is real?
can you define something by itself?

real is....that which actually exists? out side of my mind?
do i believe in reality? or in my perception of reality?
is my perception of reality accurate?
accurate enough for the things that matter to me?
or maybe i exist in reality?

if you believe that your perception somehow dictates the nature of reality then you are being very solipsistic and then the rest of humanity is a hallucination of your brain and you're mearly indulging yourself with your perception of the shroomery.

--------------------
- Albert Einstein

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom