Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineheidegger
Stranger

Fungus the Source of ergolines in Morning Glory?!
    #5404249 - 03/15/06 04:00 PM (18 years, 8 days ago)

LINK

Planta. 2006 Mar 9;
Molecular characterization of a seed transmitted clavicipitaceous fungus occurring on dicotyledoneous plants (Convolvulaceae).

Steiner U, Ahimsa-Muller MA, Markert A, Kucht S, Gross J, Kauf N, Kuzma M, Zych M, Lamshoft M, Furmanowa M, Knoop V, Drewke C, Leistner E.

Ergoline alkaloids (syn. ergot alkaloids) are constituents of clavicipitaceous fungi (Ascomycota) and of one particular dicotyledonous plant family, the Convolvulaceae. While the biology of fungal ergoline alkaloids is rather well understood, the evolutionary and biosynthetic origin of ergoline alkaloids within the family Convolvulaceae is unknown. To investigate the possible origin of ergoline alkaloids from a plant-associated fungus, 12 endophytic fungi and one epibiotic fungus were isolated from an ergoline alkaloid-containing Convolvulaceae plant, Ipomoea asarifolia Roem. & Schult. Phylogenetic trees constructed from 18S rDNA genes as well as internal transcribed spacer (ITS) revealed that the epibiotic fungus belongs to the family Clavicipitaceae (Ascomycota) whereas none of the endophytic fungi does. In vitro and in vivo cultivation on intact plants gave no evidence that the endophytic fungi are responsible for the accumulation of ergoline alkaloids in I. asarifolia whereas the epibiotic clavicipitaceous fungus very likely is equipped with the genetic material to synthesize these compounds. This fungus resisted in vitro and in vivo cultivation and is seed transmitted. Several observations strongly indicate that this plant-associated fungus and its hitherto unidentified relatives occurring on different Convolvulaceae plants are responsible for the isolated occurrence of ergoline alkaloids in Convolvulaceae. This is the first report of an ergot alkaloid producing clavicipitaceous fungus associated with a dicotyledonous plant.

PMID: 16525783

I cannot access the full paper, but this seems to hint on an involvement of fungi in the production of ergolines the convolvulaceae (morning glory, HBWR etc). If this is true, that would be almost breathtaking news.

Edited by heidegger (03/15/06 04:01 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshriek

Re: Fungus the Source of ergolines in Morning Glory?! [Re: heidegger]
    #5404299 - 03/15/06 04:09 PM (18 years, 8 days ago)

yes you can smoke the roots to morning glories and other plants that has this fungus and get effects actually. there is a thread about this at shaman australis thats called smokable lsa from common house plants.

Offlineheidegger
Stranger

Re: Fungus the Source of ergolines in Morning Glory?! [Re: shriek]
    #5404393 - 03/15/06 04:28 PM (18 years, 8 days ago)

I don't think that anyone was really aware that the active chemicals might be produced by a fungus sitting on the plant, not by the plant itself. Not in the case of morning glories and woodrose.

This hypothesis might lead us to rethink a lot of things about these plants. Maybe the puzzling difference in potency between hawaiian woodrose and woodrose from other locations is caused by the strain of fungus? Maybe this tells us more about the exact location of the active chemicals in the seed? Will we soon be inocculating jars with woodrose seeds? (Ok, that is quite speculative)

Edited by heidegger (03/15/06 04:42 PM)

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

#5404522 - 03/15/06 04:55 PM (18 years, 8 days ago)

Interesting indeed... but I have no idea how this kind of thing would work generation to generation.

Not understanding lots of the text might have something to do with that.

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

Invisibleshriek

Re: Fungus the Source of ergolines in Morning Glory?! [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #5404588 - 03/15/06 05:06 PM (18 years, 8 days ago)

yes that is an intresting question. i was wondering much of the same about nitrogen fixing bacterias on the roots of some plants as well.

Offlineheidegger
Stranger

#5404609 - 03/15/06 05:10 PM (18 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Koala Koolio said:
I have no idea how this kind of thing would work generation to generation.

"This [...] is seed transmitted."

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

#5404623 - 03/15/06 05:14 PM (18 years, 8 days ago)

Well, I caught that. I'm just wondering... how?

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

InvisibleMezcal
    #5405493 - 03/15/06 07:56 PM (18 years, 8 days ago)

Microscopic fungal spores/cultures within plant cells perhaps.

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: Fungus the Source of ergolines in Morning Glory?! [Re: Mezcal]
    #5405660 - 03/15/06 08:28 PM (18 years, 8 days ago)

I just find it amazing that they would continue on in such a stable manner. That's nature I guess...

--------------------

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
    #5405845 - 03/15/06 08:59 PM (18 years, 8 days ago)

The two probably have some sort of symbiotic relationship. While it's probably not mutually beneficial, I wouldn't be surprised if the plant is unharmed by the relationship.

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

InvisibleMezcal
    #5405899 - 03/15/06 09:09 PM (18 years, 8 days ago)

Most exciting aspect, IMHO: given the right conditions and lab equipment, one might be able to culture the fungi on its own, despite this valliant team's failure.

Invisibleshriek

Re: Fungus the Source of ergolines in Morning Glory?! [Re: Mezcal]
    #5411342 - 03/17/06 04:21 AM (18 years, 6 days ago)

I have been thinking alot about this latly heh this thread sparked a intrest in me

here are some quotes of what i have found intresting

Quote:

WARNING;THESE PLANTS MAY CONTAIN MAO INHIBITORS,YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS.............................................this has been a pet subject of mine for a while.
'pharmacotheon' mentions the smoking of the roots of an ipomoea sp in india.
trout and ott mention the use of carex brevicollis as an ayahuasca admixture.
trout further states the roots are active when smoked.
hbwr roots have some activity when smoked.
carex are in the cyperus family and i find the carex plants look very similar to the common house plant cyperus alternifolia[?].
my extreem sensitivity to lsa's responded to the cyperus roots.
further research indicated 12 inches of the long thin root to be more active than one hbwr seed when smoked.
the carex sp in sth am are called piri piri and the root nodes are usually used[as a tea?].
the cyperus is known as dwarf umbrella grass and sometimes as spider grass,it is very easily propagated.
t s t .

Quote:

actually it may be even more interesting.
according to trout,carex brevicollis contains harmine,harmol and a few other beta carbolines.
combined with the lsa containing fungii this corresponds with the experience which is very smooth,no nausea or 'quantum weirdness',virtually identical to s rue and rivea c at that dose.
t s t .

Quote:

Ipomoea leptphylla roots were burned by north american indians to treat sufferers of nervousness and "bad dreams" with smoke (gilmore 1919) This potentially psychoactive use points to possible content of visionary ergoline alkaloids

Quote:

with trout in hand,lol.

cyperaceae
carex brevicollis.....harmine and several other beta-carbolines[harman,brevicarine,brevicolline,dehydrobrevicolline,homobrevicolline and harmol]
cyperus digitatus.........and
cyperus prolixus.....both claimed hallucinogenic if smoked.all pharmacological activity beleived due to the presence of the fungal endophyte balansia cyperi.

i insist the activity i talk of is most likely that of lsa's combined with an maoi,i laugh at science and its need to deny what i experience if it does not fit current theories,change the theories ,they must be wrong,lol,ego,lol

reports

a puff or two of 2 feet in a tobacco cigarette......nice flavour

four or five puffs on j laced with 2 feet......very nice visual enhancement of previous low dose cactus

over a metre.....very nice,smooth,about 3hbwr seed level,no side effects even a this dose!consumed as three doses over a few hours.

over a metre + 1/2 to 3/4 gm dried pedo ricans.....wow,had trouble communicating for a prolonged period,stronger than 5gms subs[?],still affected next day!
t s t .

Quote:

There seems to be alot of doubt about spider grass so I thought i'd post what i've found.

When I was pulling the stems away from the petals from a large batch of spider grass I collected I noticed that after a few minutes of handling the material I was getting mild LSA/LSD type effects such as breathing walls, slight CEV and a general not quite sober feeling.

When one cone of dried spider grass petals/buds (not sure what the technically term is for the part of plant i was smoking) is smoked it results in a foggy/hazy pyschdelic feeling which I attribute to the harmine alkaloids in the plant. This feeling lasts about an hour.

I've also tried using spider grass before taking mushrooms (P.subs) and cacti (T.Pachanoi).

When combined with mushrooms I smoked 1 cone of spider grass and ate half of what i'd usually take of mushrooms. This resulted in a very intense trip, probably one of the strongest mushrooms experiences i've ever had in fact. Repeated experiements led me to believe that spider grass potentiates mushrooms by atleast 3 times.

When combined with cacti I smoked 1 cone of spider grass and then at a relativley small amount of dried cacti powder. I wasn't really expected too much but was pleasantly suprised by the intensity of the trip. The alkaloids from the cacti also seemed to come on alot quicker than usual. Within 1 hour I was where i'd usually be at the 2-3 hour mark of a regular cacti experience. I also noted that the trip seemed to finish up quicker than usual, its possible that the cacti alkaloids where worked through my system quicker due to the spider grass. Although i've had much stronger experiences from cacti before this trip was very strong for the amount of cacti ingested.

Quote:

from entheology.org
Scirpus atrovirens - Bakana
- Cyperaceae - Cosmopolitan

One of the most powerful herbs of the Tarahumara of Mexico is apparently a species of Scirpus. Some medicine men carry Bakana to relieve pain. The tuberous underground part is believed to cure insanity, and the whole plant is a protector of those suffering from mental ills.

ACTIVE PRINCIPLES:

Alkaloids have been reported from Scirpus as well as from the related genus Cyperus.

EFFECTS:

The intoxication which it induces enables Indians to travel far and wide, talk with dead ancestors, and see brilliantly colored visions. Some medicine men carry Bakana to relieve pain. The tuberous underground part is believed to cure insanity, and the whole plant is a protector of those suffering from mental ills.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRADITIONAL PREPARATION: The tuberous root of this plant is used, exact preparation is not known.

just a note that as narayan has said the flowers of spider grass are also active.seriously its worth learning to id spider grass plants cos they are very common and you should be able to locate a source near you!
i beleive most cyperaceae will prove to have some activity!
t s t .

so well, spider grass eeems like a plant that need more research. this is all very intresting.

OfflineDrJ
Shaman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Celtic Isles
    #5412124 - 03/17/06 10:24 AM (18 years, 6 days ago)

Surley one would be able to do an extraction on these alkaloids (from say rye ergot) and disolve these crystals in ethenol to acheive a substance similar to LSD?
Any one tried this?

--------------------

"Worse?? Or Better?!"

Invisibleshriek

Re: Fungus the Source of ergolines in Morning Glory?! [Re: DrJ]
    #5412149 - 03/17/06 10:30 AM (18 years, 6 days ago)

i wouldnt tried extracting the ergot fungus unless you have some really good chemical background and equipment and are 100% sure what you are doing, the risk of ergotism is too big:

Definition of Ergotism

Ergotism: Ergotism could be called a "cereal killer" for its cause, ergot, comes from cereals such as rye and wheat and is quite capable of killing someone. A fungus (Claviceps purpurea) that contaminates rye and wheat produces substances (alkaloids) termed ergotamines.

Ergotamines constrict blood vessels and cause the muscle of the uterus to contract. They have been much used and been very useful for the treatment of migraine. They have also been used and misused as abortifacients (agents of abortion).

In excess, however, ergotamines can cause symptoms such as hallucinations, severe gastrointestinal upset, a type of dry gangrene, and a painful burning sensation in the limbs and extremities.

Chronic ergot poisoning (ergotism) was rife during the Middle Ages due to the consumption of contaminated rye. Because of the burning pain, it was known as "ignis sacer" (holy fire), "ignis infernalis" (hell's fire) and St. Anthony's fire.

but if you have these skills you can make ergotamine tartrate from this fungus , a chemical precursor to make LSD. but making the precursor itself is just as risky as making lsd in the eyes of the law.

OfflineDrJ
Shaman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Celtic Isles
    #5412178 - 03/17/06 10:38 AM (18 years, 6 days ago)

am fuuly aware of this and have alot of extraction experience (mescalin,DMT, LSA) And i do know the proper extraction method for ergot...but don't have the equipment. Was just wondering if I could use one of these basic extracton methods on the ergot alkaloid...or would i have to worry about all the heat/light factor that affect the LSD from ergot process?

--------------------

"Worse?? Or Better?!"

Invisibleshriek

Re: Fungus the Source of ergolines in Morning Glory?! [Re: DrJ]
    #5412199 - 03/17/06 10:44 AM (18 years, 6 days ago)

Michael Valentine Smith: Psychedelic Chemistry

From pages 105-107:

The Culture and Extraction of Ergot Alkaloids

Make up a culture medium by combining the following ingredients in about
500 milliliters of distilled water in a 2 liter, small-neck flask:

Sucrose .......................................... 100 grams
Chick pea meal .................................... 50 grams
Calcium nitrate ..................................... 1 gram
Monopotassium phosphate ......................... 0.25 grams
Magnesium sulphate .............................. 0.25 grams
Potassium chloride ............................. 0.125 grams
Ferrous sulphate heptahydrate ................... 8.34 milligrams
Zinc sulphate heptahydrate ...................... 3.44 milligrams

Add water to make up one liter, adjust pH 4 with ammonia solution and
citric acid. Sterile by autoclaving.

Inoculate the sterilized medium with Claviceps purpurea under sterile
conditions, stopper with sterilized cotton and incubate for two weeks
periodically testing and maintaining pH 4. After two weeks a surface
culture will be seen on the medium. Large-scale production of the
fungus can now begin.

Obtain several ordinary 1 gallon jugs. Place a two-hole stopper in
the necks of the jugs. Fit a short (6 inch) glass tube in one hole,
leaving 2 inches above the stopper. Fit a short rubber tube to this.
Fill a small (500 milliliter) Erlenmeyer flask with a dilute solution
of sodium hypochlorite, and extend a glass tube from the rubber tube
so the end is immersed in the hypochlorite. Fit a long, glass tube in
the other stopper hole. It must reach near the bottom of the jug and
have about two inches showing above the stopper. Attach a rubber tube
to the glass tube as short or as long as desired, and fit a short glass
tube to the end of the rubber tube. Fill a large, glass tube (1 inch x
6 inches) with sterile cotton and fit 1-hole stoppers in the ends.
Fit the small, glass tube in end of the rubber tube into 1 stopper of
the large tube. Fit another small glass tube in the other stopper.
A rubber tube is connected to this and attached to a small air pump
obtained from a tropical fish supply store. You now have a set-up for
pumping air from the pump, through the cotton filter, down the long
glass tube in the jug, through the solution to the air space in the top
of the jug, through the short glass tube, down to the bottom of the
Erlenmeyer flask and up through the sodium hypochlorite solution into
the atmosphere. With this aeration equipment you can assure a supply
of clean air to the Claviceps purpurea fungus while maintaining a
sterile atmosphere inside the solution.

Dismantle the aerators. Place all the glass tubes, rubber tubes,
stoppers and cotton in a paper bag, seal tight with wire staples
and sterilize in an autoclave.

Fill the 1-gallon jugs 2/3 to 3/4 full with the culture medium and
autoclave.

While these things are being sterilized, homogenize in a blender the
culture already obtained and use it to inoculate the media in the
gallon jugs. The blender must be sterile. Everything must be sterile.

Assemble the aerators. Start the pumps. A slow bubbling in each jug
will provide enough oxygen to the cultures. A single pump can, of
course, be connected to several filters.

Let everything sit a room temperature (25 C) in a fairly dark place
(never expose ergot alkaloids to bright light - they decompose) for
a period of ten days.

After ten days adjust the culture to 1% ethanol using 95% ethanol
under sterile conditions. Maintain growth for another two weeks.

After total of 24 days growth period the culture should be considered
mature. Make the culture acidic with tartaric acid and homogenize in
a blender for one hour.

Adjust to pH 9 with ammonium hydroxide and extract with benzene or
chloroform/iso-butanol mixture.

Extract again with alcoholic tartaric acid and evaporate in a vacuum
to dryness. The dry material in the salt (i.e., the tartaric acid salt,
the tartrate) of the ergot alkaloids, and is stored in this form because
the free basic material is too unstable and decomposes readily in the
presence of light, heat, moisture and air.

To recover the free base for extraction of the amide of synthesis to
LSD, make the tartrate basic with ammonia to pH 9, extract with chloroform
and evaporate in vacuo.

If no source of pure Claviceps purpurea fungus can be found, it may be
necessary to make a field trip to obtain the ergot growths from rye or
other cereal grasses. Rye grass is by far the best choice. The ergot will
appear as a blackish growth on the tops of the rye where the seeds are
and are referred to as "heads of ergot." From these heads of ergot sprout
the Claviceps purpurea fungi. They have long steams with bulbous heads when
seen under a strong glass or microscope. It is these that must be removed
from the ergot, free from contamination, and used to inoculate the culture
media. The need for absolute sterility cannot be overstressed. Consult any
elementary text on bacteriology for the correct equipment and procedures.
Avoid prolonged contact with ergot compounds, as they are poisonous and
can be fatal.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#5413823 - 03/17/06 05:10 PM (18 years, 6 days ago)

I've got the full text if anyone is interested.

Invisibleshriek

Re: Fungus the Source of ergolines in Morning Glory?! [Re: Gumby]
    #5413828 - 03/17/06 05:11 PM (18 years, 6 days ago)

i am defently intrested.

InvisibleHermes_br
~~~
 User Gallery

#5997807 - 08/25/06 10:52 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

hey,

here is another interesting find, it seems the plants do not produce the ergolines.  :tongue:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/xvfrb9uerlkx/

"Elimination of ergoline alkaloids following treatment of Ipomoea asarifolia (Convolvulaceae) with fungicides"

http://www.springerlink.com/content/kby3dh4vedhcn14l/fulltext.pdf  (1,507 kb)

this last link is for the paper mentioned in the first post

http://www.springerlink.com/content/p42013651623q484/fulltext.pdf (444 kb)

Edited by Hermes_br (08/25/06 11:15 PM)

Invisiblejellyfish

#5997906 - 08/25/06 11:24 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Shulgin mentions in tihkal that the cause of staggers in sheep from consuming phalaris arundicea (spelling?) may be caused by ergot fungus within the plant. Is this fungus they say is in the morning glory the same ergot alkaloid producing ergot that grows on rye? If so then why can people have good experiences on morning glory when ergot contains so many other poisonous chemicals that can kill you.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds