Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Shroomery Sponsors Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Agar, Microscope, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offliner05c03
The Slug Scourge
Loc: Indiana, US
For Sporeworks
    #538542 - 02/02/02 01:29 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I am curious if the P. mexicana strain A (the sclerotia former) ever exhibits an asexual spore. I saw some pictures of of sample taken from a small colony growing on an agar plate and it was filled with phragmospore-like condia (condia that look like several hypahal cell have become detached from one another). There were no clamp connection visible (unlike with the other colonies). Lastly an observation scope showed that the hyphae had a didtictly whorled appearence compared with the other colonies. However the colony is white and very much the others to the naked eye (i.e. not an obvious cotamiant, and an unusual one if it is). So I am thinking it is either an asexual spore produced by haploid P. mexicana or a contaminant. Before anything drastic action occus I wanted to ask you guys if you have seen anything like this.

--------------------
Listen! Do you smell something?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineWorkmanV
Psilocybe Microscopist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington, USA
Re: For Sporeworks [Re: r05c03]
    #538776 - 02/02/02 07:40 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Not that I have ever observed. I would think that is most likely a contaminate that reproduces by conidial fragments. I have seen many "not so obvious" agar contaminates of this type over the years. They generally start at the edge of the plate (airborne contaminate) but otherwise look quite like normal mycelium of an aggressive nature. I remember many futile attempts to cultivate Psilocybe pelliculosa from spores which are slow to germinate. A very healthy contaminate mycelium fooled me into working with it for months. I didn't even think to use a scope at the time.

On most agar formulations, the mexicana mycelium will age to a yellowish color. The contaminate won't.

I am intrigued that anyone has looked at P. mexicana (A) mycelium under the microscope. I haven't even done that myself. You obviously have more than just a passing interest in cultivation. Keep up the good work and get rid that that crap in your petri dish.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Offliner05c03
The Slug Scourge
Loc: Indiana, US
Re: For Sporeworks [Re: Workman]
    #538810 - 02/02/02 08:42 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, well I am in the position to do that. So I will, and will post back to you. Cool, a quest!

--------------------
Listen! Do you smell something?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Agar, Microscope, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Shroomery Sponsors Forum