Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinespearingflame03
~Gone with thewind~
Male User Gallery

Cow manure...
    #5377970 - 03/08/06 03:45 PM (18 years, 24 days ago)

Ok, I've been reading for the past week,Yes some things are confusing,Somethings are clear,But theirs specific key things that I dont understand, I am tryin to grow shrooms using the cat litter box.. I've got the 40lb organic cow manure compost. I cant find straw and the stores are out of verm. Do I need the straw ? An do I need the verm to successfully grow shrooms.. Cant's I just use the manure only ? I kno I have to bake the manure in my oven but do I need the verm or straw.

--------------------
I always have ideas that are conjured up from the manifestations deep within my imagination."Simple but complex".

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineArgo
Leader of many,Follower of manymore
Male

Re: Cow manure... [Re: spearingflame03]
    #5378018 - 03/08/06 04:02 PM (18 years, 24 days ago)

You do not NEED the straw or verm, these merely add more volume to your substraight. The straw can also add some good nutes. It is always good to experiment, but you may not want to use cow poo if you are just starting. Horse poo seems to work better.

If you do decide to use the poopoo, I would recommend agar's method.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3960973/an/0/page/0

--------------------

Offlinespearingflame03
~Gone with thewind~
Male User Gallery

Re: Cow manure... [Re: Argo]
    #5378709 - 03/08/06 06:53 PM (18 years, 24 days ago)

Hey thanks... yeah I kinda figured.. Well I have a 40lb bag of manure right behind me.. I'm gonna try it any ways.. What's this about spawning..I dont have a pressure cooker.. What in my case would I need to use in my situation..

--------------------
I always have ideas that are conjured up from the manifestations deep within my imagination."Simple but complex".

Invisiblefigment
Apothecary
 User Gallery

Loc: Quidity
    #5379311 - 03/08/06 09:12 PM (18 years, 24 days ago)

DUDE...you do need straw. You need something to make the manure less compact. Cow dung is very compressing by nature and allows for very slow colonization (the mycellium needs a path to travel). I am doing a 50/50 mix now and it's going pretty slow. I read (after I inoculated) that if you are going to use cow dung then do it 75%straw 25%dung. If I would have known that, then that's what I would have done. ALSO...to get the consistency to "field capacity" is very hard to achieve. What I had to do was mix some perilte (or vermaculite) to get rid of the excess "mud" because you will get an ooze and you don't want that. Just fairly moist. I was in your shoes about 2 weeks ago (+just starting out as you). Hope I could help.

--------------------

Offlinetonyperez420
Shaman Rasta

Re: Cow manure... [Re: figment]
    #5380338 - 03/09/06 06:40 AM (18 years, 24 days ago)

If your going to use just cow poo FAE will be very important IMO

You dont need verm or straw but it helps

A casing layer will work wonders too, especially for 2nd and 3rd flushes

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #5380400 - 03/09/06 07:35 AM (18 years, 24 days ago)

Think high visible FIBER content, when considering a substrate, for use.
A high fiber content that is bio-degraded gives you two things.

The high fiber content gives you an airy humus like texture.

A substrate, bio-degraded to a certain point allows mycelium to colonize it rapidly.

Cow manure has a mud like consistency.
Uncomposted straw is not bio-degraded.

Those are two MAJOR disadvantages of straight cow manure and/or c/poo/straw mixtures.

well weathered aged h/poo comes as close to an optimal, as you can get.

Unless, you can get an optimal compost.
(tailored just for growing mushrooms)

--------------------

Offlinesivad02487
Stranger
Re: Cow manure... [Re: agar]
    #5380695 - 03/09/06 10:16 AM (18 years, 24 days ago)

afar,
Unless, you can get an optimal compost.
(tailored just for growing mushrooms)
What's this optimal compost?

And is ffigmentte right when he says to mix 75/25 straw to cow poo? And also is he right about adding some vermiculite when I'm pasturizeng, even if I am using straw?
Thanks bro

Invisiblefigment
Apothecary
 User Gallery

Re: Cow manure... [Re: sivad02487]
    #5381169 - 03/09/06 12:37 PM (18 years, 23 days ago)

I will not be so presumptious to say that I am correct. All I know is that I had a VERY difficult time achieving "field capacity" because of the manure's tendency to mud up. All I can say is that perilite DID save me from certain disaster. Maybe you can get field consistency, I don't know. If you do, the screw the perlite. Verm works just fine too, I just had perlite on hand. The proof is in the pudding...my mixture is working right now in the incubator. But agar was right when he said you need an airy humous texture to the substrate. That's all I got. Good luck man...keep us posted.

--------------------

Offlinesivad02487
Stranger
    #5381183 - 03/09/06 12:40 PM (18 years, 23 days ago)

So let me get this right.

You make a 75/25 mix straw/poo and add some vermiculite WHILE you're pasturizing, or AFTER you pasturize? And also, does you're cow poo/verm/straw mix work pretty well? I think Im gonna start that this weekend
thanks bro

Offlinespearingflame03
~Gone with thewind~
Male User Gallery

#5382230 - 03/09/06 05:21 PM (18 years, 23 days ago)

So yeah.. But It wont colinize if I just put the manure in a dark warm place..After I bake it ?? Can I use white rice , Whats a basic mix I can do to make colonization an steps. I just want some basic shit..An can coffee beans work ?

--------------------

Invisiblefigment
Apothecary
 User Gallery

#5383200 - 03/09/06 09:54 PM (18 years, 23 days ago)

I tried with the cow/straw first and pasturized using the oven bag method. I knew that it was too wet but pasturized anyway. Then I just took it out and added sterile perlite until the "mud" went away. I don't see a problem with doing it before pasturization either. Just be clean about whatever you do. The good thing about pasturized dung and straw is that it is fairly resistant to contaminants. The best thing to do is spawn with a colonized cake.

--------------------

Invisiblefigment
Apothecary
 User Gallery

#5383213 - 03/09/06 09:59 PM (18 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

spearingflame03 said:
So yeah.. But It wont colinize if I just put the manure in a dark warm place..After I bake it ?? Can I use white rice , Whats a basic mix I can do to make colonization an steps. I just want some basic shit..An can coffee beans work ?

The best thing to do would be to put shredded straw in it. You need a path for the mycellium to travel. And no, white rice doesn't work. I have read that people at times are able to grow shrooms on white rice but there is absolutely no potency. The BEST thing is horse manure. It is very fiberous and airy by nature. Cow dung is very muddy and compacted. That is what me and this dude have been talking about. We are both in the same boat...my experiment just have a few weeks on his.

--------------------

Offlinesivad02487
Stranger
    #5384498 - 03/10/06 06:02 AM (18 years, 23 days ago)

If the straw/poo mix is too wet, could't you just add some chunky vermiculite while pasturizing?

Invisibledoubledutch
Morado PR

Loc: Puerto Rico
Re: Cow manure... [Re: sivad02487]
    #5384647 - 03/10/06 08:00 AM (18 years, 23 days ago)

spearingflame03; I hate to say it. But RTFM. Read. Read. Read.

--------------------
"A delightful, wholesome experience for the family." - Desson Thomson, THE WASHINGTON POST

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post5481456

omfg~dutch!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix