Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHammerloaf
addict

Loc: Canada
Straw cultivation
    #536679 - 01/31/02 07:46 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Is it common for the fuzzy mycelium base of a fruit to encompass about half of a 4" tall fruit when using a OT Straw TEK casing?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Straw cultivation [Re: Hammerloaf]
    #536797 - 01/31/02 10:45 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Probably. The fuzzy mycelium base of fruits is more a product of the individual strain reacting to it's environmental parameters than it is a result of the substrate or tek. It's certainly nothing to worry about if the fuzz is the only symptom. If it does concern you, then I'd take a closer look at the environment.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineHammerloaf
addict

Re: Straw cultivation [Re: mycofile]
    #537353 - 01/31/02 10:38 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

hmm.. how about fruit bodies splitting as they grow.. what does this mean?

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #537581 - 02/01/02 07:29 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

splitting? Like caps splitting cuz it's too dry or like stems splitting cuz they look a little gnarled. Caps usually split due to lack of humidity. Stems can split and gnarl due to verticillium contamination and possibly a mushroom virus. Then again, sometimes shrooms just look funky.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more it sounds like Verticillium, AKA dry bubble. Does it sound like this?

Slightly infected mushrooms characterized by brown colored spots or streaks on the basal or upper regions of the stem and on caps of primordia....Afflicted mushrooms often bend toward the side that is infected...More mature but diseased mushrooms have a deformed pileus, sometimes with a "hair lip", and freuently with a downy grayish mycelium over the cap. The stem can be covered with a downy mycelium and often vertically splits, roughly resembling a peeled banana. The cap becomes disproportionately small relative to the fatter than normal stem. The overall texture of the mushroom is dry and leathery.
Symptoms specific to Verticilium on cubes, Caps frequently become plane at an early stage. The stem becomes swollen and hollow, narrowing radically towards the apex. Only in extreme humidity does downy mildew develp over cap.

promoted by excessive humidity combined with inadequate air circulation. often introduced into the growing environment via casing materials or soils.

Does that sound like what you got? Downy mycelium, split stems?

--------------------

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineHammerloaf
addict

#537742 - 02/01/02 11:24 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds exactly right. I guess I should toss the casing then.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #537907 - 02/01/02 03:07 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Damn, I was hoping you'd say it was wrong.  Oh well.  Verticillium isn't known to be pathogenic, so you shouldn't have to worry about going to the hospital like the dude a few days ago.
I don't know what your particular policy is regarding contamination, but if it's only a few shrooms, you might be able to halt it by lowering humidity and increasing air circulation.  Then again, you might just spread it to anything else in the area.  I guess it depends how much effort you have invested...  I'd toss it. :frown:

--------------------

OfflineHammerloaf
addict

#539434 - 02/03/02 04:08 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

hmm.. is it common for one of the fruits to be afflicted, and others to not be? only 1 large fruit was mutated, and another grew almost picture perfect... there were on opposite sides of the casing however.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #539641 - 02/03/02 08:30 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

This one I'm a little unsure of, but feel that verticilium is to blame. I had some others show slight symptoms such as streaks in stems, caps pointng down etc. Only two came out this twisted. Everything was harvested, (I ate the one pictured above!) I sprayed the casing with a h202 solution (which I don't put much stock in...) I sprayed to casing the terrerium etc. Set up a fan, and let the casing air out over a 24 hr period, rehydrating the casings periodically. Never saww anymore for a wile.

--------------------

Edited by mycofile (02/03/02 08:34 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds