Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblekaniz
That one, overthere.
Male

Loc: Ontario
Help, I?m having a bad trip ? what do I do : Advice Thread for new trippers.
    #5358408 - 03/02/06 05:16 PM (18 years, 30 days ago)

No, I?m not actually having a bad trip right now. Just starting a bid of an advice thread of how to help stop a bad trip. Again, seems to be quite a few ?first time trippers? posting the last week or so, and figure this could be a useful thread for them to read.

So, you?re about to trip ? and would like to know how to avoid or get out of a bad trip? Some suggestions.

For me, if I feel a trip starting to stray into bad-territory, I usually have a mental check-list of things to run down.

- am I too hot or too cold? Try putting a blanket around you, if that doesn?t help ? try taking something off. Your body temperature can fluctuate a lot while tripping and you may not notice, or know why you are uncomfortable.

- Do I have to go to the bathroom? When your sober, your body sort of has an ?automatic? mode ? and has ways of telling you that you need to take a piss, or do a #2. However, when tripping ? its kind of like these things go into ?manual mode?. Your body may be trying to tell you that you have to go to the bathroom, but your mind is not in a state to automatically recognize this. If your starting to feel uncomfortable, you may just need to go and take a piss. Yes, I have had bad-trips turn good simply by taking a piss.

- Change the music ? Music can do wonders for creating a positive vibe for a trip. However, it can also have a great role in making a trip go bad. The music may be too loud, too fast, too angry-sounding. Try switching songs or CDs to different styles/genres. Or, simply reducing the volume level ? the sensory overload can lead to too much to handle at times. Some times, it may just be a good idea to turn off the music until you calm down.

- Change the setting ? maybe an object in a room is giving you bad vibes. Simply getting up and moving to another location can help set things right

- Turn off the lights ? when tripping, all sensory seems to get imploded 10x, at times having too many bright lights around can just give too much sensory input for you to handle. Dimming the lights can help reduce that over-load, and help make you feel more comfortable

- Or ? turn on the lights. Some times, visual distortions can increase in low-light, and this can become over-whelming or scary. Turning on the lights can help base your visuals back in reality and help connect you.

- If you are feeling sick ? try and throw up. There are ways to help minimize nausea while tripping such as smoking weed, or taking ginger. This can help a lot while tripping. However, I have found a few times throwing up is the best thing I can do. The actually process of throwing up is not very fun ? however, the contrast to how I felt after, to how I felt before can be WORLDS apart and help set me down the right path again.

- Remind yourself that THE TRIP WILL END ? even if you think its 3 days later, and you are never going to come back ? you will. While this can be easier said then done, try your best to re-assure yourself that its just the mushrooms doing this to you ? and in a few hours you will be back to normal.

- Trust the mushrooms ? They wont kill you, they wont make you insane. Yes, you may feel sick, bloated, gross ? but keep in mind that you are physically and mentally safe, and you will return to normal in a few hours.

- Sit down, cross your legs, sit up right and take some DEEP breaths. Take long, slow, deep breaths and try and clear your mind. Basically : meditate for a short bit. This can help calm down the energies going inside of you, and help bring you back to a better place mentally.

- Don?t fight the mushrooms ? Some times, mushrooms can bring up some issues that you need to deal with and face. You may not want to think these thoughts, and try to ?fight? the experience ? for me, this has always been the sure way to have a trip go bad. Learn to let go and trust the mushrooms.

For me, many of my mushroom trips are a mix of good and bad. I very rarely have a trip that is 100% fun-times and laughs. Usually, my trips follow a trend of.

1. Come-up ? fun, giggly, maybe a bit edgy
2. The ?Trial? ? this is the difficult part of a trip where it brings up issues that I need to think on, confront, and overcome
3. Then, ?The Payoff? ? once I?ve dealt with the ?bad? aspects of the trip ? I usually get thrust into a nice state of bliss. I had to go through a bit of hell to get here, but its usually worth it.

If I try and fight the ?trial? aspect of the trip too much ? I don?t get to the payoff.

Well, that?s all I can think of for the time being ? feel free to add your advice.

And, for you first time trippers ? have fun, be safe.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewallydam
Stranger
Re: Help, I?m having a bad trip ? what do I do : Advice Thread for new trippers. [Re: kaniz]
    #5358426 - 03/02/06 05:20 PM (18 years, 30 days ago)

lol omg same here i had bad trips turn good when i taik a piss lmao i thought i was te only one :thumbup:

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali, Contra Costa Co. Flag
Re: Help, I?m having a bad trip ? what do I do : Advice Thread for new trippers. [Re: kaniz]
    #5358446 - 03/02/06 05:24 PM (18 years, 30 days ago)

In my experience when a trip starts to go bad its when i get stuck in thought circles that i cant break. It sux. I find the best way to stop the thought patteren is to just put my mind on something else, anything be it guitar, the shroomery, trying to watch tv, music, anything.

Alot of people swear by writing a note in their pocket that says 'that you took a drug that cant hurt you and you will comedown' so that its there if you start to freak out a little.

In retrospect IMO bad trips arnt so bad. Sure they may be at the time, but you learn just as much from a bad trip as you do from a good trip.

--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix

Offlineduggan18
Stranger
Re: Help, I?m having a bad trip ? what do I do : Advice Thread for new trippers. [Re: sui]
    #5358474 - 03/02/06 05:32 PM (18 years, 30 days ago)

getting into bed helps. i haven't had a bad trip on mushrooms, but i've had some bad experiences with weed where i was too high/having a bad high and kept telling myself ''this is fun, i'm fucked! i want to be fucked!'' but it still wasn't helping. lying down in bed helped alot.

also looking in the mirror might help, assure yourself that you're still alive and well. but i guess this could potentially be a bad idea as well.

Edited by duggan18 (03/02/06 05:33 PM)

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#5358484 - 03/02/06 05:36 PM (18 years, 30 days ago)

I agree you got to first check if it's not something silly, because often it is. Quite often low bloodsugar is to blame so a fruit smoothie may fix that.

But when you're having a true bad trip..

SUFFER IT.

Thats right, no fleeing, no clever distractions: nosedive into it and feel it to its full extent.
Lie down, close your eyes and suffer Hell.

Fleeing life or the trip got you into this mess and whats consuming you is your worst fear. Death, insanity, that kind of stuff. Just go insane and then die, you'll see every dark cloud has a silver lining :crazy:

You don't have to like it but you got to live it. All those tricks are in vain: either you suffer more now or suffer more later.

There is a growth experience there, so pay close attention and dont rationalize.

It takes superhero courage but if you can't lie down and suffer you shouldn't trip *at all*.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

OfflineAlwaysFlowin
Never Pass onGrass
 User Gallery

Re: Help, I?m having a bad trip ? what do I do : Advice Thread for new trippers. [Re: duggan18]
    #5358495 - 03/02/06 05:40 PM (18 years, 30 days ago)

Having a sober friend nearby who knows you're tripping always helps. When I'm tripping, those who aren't dosed generally bring me back into reality- as they are reminders of what it is to be sober and grounded.

Invisiblekaniz
That one, overthere.
Male

Re: Help, I?m having a bad trip ? what do I do : Advice Thread for new trippers. [Re: AlwaysFlowin]
    #5358511 - 03/02/06 05:46 PM (18 years, 30 days ago)

Wiccan, I like that little graphic. While I've never had what I'd consider to be a 'bad' LSD trip - there have been times where I have come to enjoy/accept the pain/insanity.

Its weird. I cant quite pinpoint the exact sensation - but, its like you just need to give up and surrender your mind/body to the expierence and accept it for whatever it has to throw at you - good or bad, and to not fight it.

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Help, I?m having a bad trip ? what do I do : Advice Thread for new trippers. [Re: duggan18]
    #5358514 - 03/02/06 05:47 PM (18 years, 30 days ago)

In addition to the above:

Sipping on something sweet can help. I like Mountain Dew or sweetened green tea. Real sugar is important, no sweet in low or diet soda.

It also can be incredibly relieving to get outside and experience some nature, even if its just watching the grass grow in your yard.

Another thing that can help is doing some repetitive task with your hands. De-seeding pot, scraping a bowl or something like that.

Don't trip too often! It wears out the body and the mind. If you trip three times in a week you are almost certain to have a bad trip.

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
Re: Help, I?m having a bad trip ? what do I do : Advice Thread for new trippers. [Re: shroomydan]
    #5359067 - 03/02/06 07:18 PM (18 years, 30 days ago)

Well depends of what kind of trip you expect.
And if you want an intense tripping, then you must allow yourself to go deep in it. And then it's possible to meet some obstacles on the way. But I think that's why it makes the trip meaningfull and signifiant.

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Offlinedoomsdayrobert
Stranger
Male

Re: Help, I?m having a bad trip ? what do I do : Advice Thread for new trippers. [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #5359247 - 03/02/06 07:54 PM (18 years, 30 days ago)

In all of my experiences there is a point of the journey that kinda drags me down...

There's not a whole lot to do about it...

If you fast for a couple of hours before you dose, try eating something or drinking a glass of water.

Offlinestemmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Help, I?m having a bad trip ? what do I do : Advice Thread for new trippers. [Re: doomsdayrobert]
    #5359397 - 03/02/06 08:32 PM (18 years, 30 days ago)

Just take a walk, a long-ass walk. Give that kick to your metabolism, and hope for the best or just know you will atleast be able to come out of it alive(thats the worst kind of trip but often ends up to be the best). It helps me to find a common cognative and physical ground with the normal functioning of the mind and body.
Ive had many potentially terrible trips, fighting it never worked unless it made me realize I need to just exist there for a short while, and if I pass out from anxiety so be it(when on one of these helpful walks I just knew to stay on the sidewalk). I have had many insanely high doses and it somehow never came to that, though I have seen certain people totally loose it, and one guy who seized right in front of a group of people after taking 8 grams of shrooms(foaming at the mouth, the real deal).

I cant think of anything but making the physical effects go away when having such a trip because my heart rate and blood pressure is directly correlated to the comfort my mind has with the greater cognative changes that take place.
SO id go with the "walk it off" method. If not just to give your heart a reason to be beating way too fast.
As far as thinking you are loosing it mentally while not being concerned by any physical effects this might have, id still just walk it off. Walking and finding out how unprepared you were really helps bring light to the experience.
In my experiences, on the hardest trips I have ever taken, I felt very unsafe about what I had just done to myself at first, but at the most intense level I know of, when you cant see a damn thing around you, you can still make that trip the best ever.
Accepting imminent death may be illogical for most people on hallucinogens, but it will make the trip only better because you will be ready for death, and the world will start over for you anew.

In my experience the worst moments of mental and physical torment always ended up to be the best trips because I beat it and understood it. Once I walked for six hours in sandals until my feet bled. Im not talking like 3.5 grams of shrooms, or 500+ mics of acid. It was a massive dose of ayahuasca, and I still have what are the equivalent of tattoos, on alternate middle toes on each foot.
Other than that, I have had to take long walks only 2 times on mushrooms, and once when I took 3 hits of strong acid and 2 grams of shrooms(needless to say, I didnt expect it to be as intense or as profound as it actually was).
I think its best to work out the problems you have with the drug you have taken, instead of staring at you shoelaces, trying not to think, or struggling with it for longer than you have to.

Offlinemorphogenetic
Stranger
Re: Help, I?m having a bad trip ? what do I do : Advice Thread for new trippers. [Re: stemmer]
    #5359436 - 03/02/06 08:43 PM (18 years, 30 days ago)

I agree with Stemmer that walks can definitely be calming, unless you're super paranoid, then it can just make things worse.

I've never had a bad trip on mushrooms, but from experience with lsd, I agree with everyone that says to just make sure you know that everything is IN YOUR HEAD. Everything will be fine in a few hours, and you'll end up being only a bit ragged around the edges. It feels like hell going through it, but for me, the bad trips teach the biggest lessons.

InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
Re: Help, I?m having a bad trip ? what do I do : Advice Thread for new trippers. [Re: morphogenetic]
    #5359560 - 03/02/06 09:13 PM (18 years, 30 days ago)

I've never had a bad trip on mushrooms, I've come close several times, amd I've found myself in many situations that were anything but ideal for tripping (walking down the street, one person having a bad trip, 2 people piss drunk and making a huge public scene with pain occasionally shooting up from my foot to my left testicle (which I later found out was tendinitus)

My best advice is just try to keep in a positive mindset, keep yourself calm, tell yourself "I am on a drug, my perception is altered, what my body and brain is telling is not real, this discomfort is nothing to be concerned about, and if it is I can deal with it once the drug has worn off and I can respond more rationally" I usually find that this helps me to push any irrational problems into the back of my mind...

As said, try to run through a little mental check list

-When did I last go to the bathroom
-When did I last have something to drink
-try to slow down your brain, try to get a mental foothold and ask yourself "does anything around me stand out?" if so, change it, get rid of it, get away with it, see if that helps

Again, as mentioned this is sometimes easier said than done, I myself have found myself completely unsure of whether or not I had to go to the bathroom... If you do have some dark thoughts don't freak out, don't fight it, just let it come... As I've never had a bad trip myself this is about the only advice I can offer...

Having a bad trip is one thing, but knowing how to handle someone having a bad trip can be just as important. The first thing is don't overreact... They are in no physical danger, don't overreact. Ask them if they're alright, ask them if there's anything you can do to help, don't force them to do anything they really don't want to do, pay attention to their facial expressions, often people give off signs to how they're feeling. Just make it clear to the person that you're there to help them in any way you can, just don't harass them about it and let them handle it themselves. If they want to leave the room and be alone, let them (although it may be a good idea to just let them know that you'll be down to check on them in a bit just to see how they're doing)... Talk to the person if they don't seem to mind following conversation, keep a positive mind and just try help them through and possibly out of it. I was with a couple friends once, one of them was completely withdrawn and was just kind of avoiding conversation, the other was being a little more talkative but revealed to me that they weren't having a very good trip, everything felt dark, cold and empty, I talked to them, tried to get their mind elsewhere, and then finally I just said "come on, cheer up, we're in the park, it's Saturday, it's sunny, it's warm, we're on shrooms, we have no school, no obligations, nobody's wanting us to do anything, this is OUR day, we can do whatever we want". He just pulled his head up from the table and said "holy shit, everything just got brighter, you're absolutely right" and from then on his trip took a completely different turn, I guess the sudden uplift of the vibes or whatever must have also had an effect on my less talkative friend cause after that he started to get more involved in the conversation and we all had a really good trip... Sometimes all it takes is the right words to completely turn someone's trip around (also feels pretty good while tripping to know that you've just pulled someone out of their own personal hell)

OfflineShroomRunner
Stranger
    #5359921 - 03/02/06 10:49 PM (18 years, 30 days ago)

Thats so amazingly written, and in my experiences, you hit the nail on the head.

My first experience is incredibly unique though. I did 5.7 grams and didn't even know what mushrooms were and had never been high before. It was pretty crazy because I never realized anything that was going on (aside from the incredible sensation of the come-up) was because of the shrooms. I doubt any day of my life could ever match that insanity, and I've had some pretty crazy and amzing unique experiences in life I think.

Offlinestemmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Help, I?m having a bad trip ? what do I do : Advice Thread for new trippers. [Re: ShroomRunner]
    #5360029 - 03/02/06 11:25 PM (18 years, 30 days ago)

I was refering to taking a walk if you are alone and tripping. Tripping harder than you are likely talking about, the kind of trip where you need either a quiet sitter or no one at all.
Taking a walk is a very true to good form, and a way to deal with your problems with anxiety, heart rate, and blood pressure. Its like killing three birds with one stone while you figure out why it is that happened to you and how it in inherently good if you let it be. I wasnt talking about the "oh damn I feel shitty and unhappy" type of bad trip and my testical hurts(that has happened to me too). Im talking about the, well if I dont move about this thing will be harder to keep under control, "I think I will be able to figure this thing out if I take a walk ALONE".....
Walking just gives the body a reason to keep going. You forget about the anxiety because anxiety is psychosomatic and has much to do with heart rate and blood pressure. Walking just helps alot.

Invisiblemecreateme
YoUisMEEMsiUoY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Memphrica
Re: Help, I?m having a bad trip ? what do I do : Advice Thread for new trippers. [Re: stemmer]
    #5360039 - 03/02/06 11:28 PM (18 years, 30 days ago)

Yeah, occupying the mind is very powerful, but as Wiccan_Seeker said, all these are diversions from spending time alone with yourself. But, hell, are we all here to not be lonely? Is that one of the worst parts, being lonely, only occupied by your own self, for all of time? Is that really scary? Not if you create your reality, not if you make it what you want it to be. Know you can change everything around with a different view on your situation, and know that neither of these views are right or true, but both of them coexist in this thing we call reality, which is much more simple than most people think it is. :wink:

--------------------
No ONE wants to know the ultimate TRUTH, as soon as YOU find IT out, YOU want to forget IT.

You are everything's way of feeling itself.

Happy Schwag, everygodly!

Offlinestemmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Help, I?m having a bad trip ? what do I do : Advice Thread for new trippers. [Re: mecreateme]
    #5360161 - 03/03/06 12:03 AM (18 years, 30 days ago)

I dont think occupying the mind has anything to do with taking a walk. The whole point is being true to form, or as close as you can be to being alone in the dark without passing out at the time.
mecreateme, I think you missed my point and everyone elses with that comment filled with questions already answered and advise thats just downright meaningless. You were being sort of creative thats for sure. Im not so sure you got the point, or made linear conversation with those who posted thus far.

Thats why i suggested walking, not to keep your mind off the trip but to get the body and thus the mind more in synch as you deal with your problems, in a way you wouldnt have been capable of dealing with as quickly unless you just took a walk.
I can hadle a pretty high dose while alone, and in the dark or light of day. Im pretty sure alot of these people can. Walking alone does not break my concentration unless im looking for something that has less to do with cognition, and more to do with visual/audio visuals. Thats part of the reason why taking a walk works. I dont think many of the people here were saying its best not to "think".
Taking a walk just gets the blood flowing more evenly, and reduces anxiety as you reach the deeper aspects of the trip. Being alone while walking is not much different that being alone and sitting around in the dark. As long as there are no real distractions it is just as "out of this world".

Edited by stemmer (03/03/06 12:10 AM)

Invisiblesupersapien
Sapient

Loc: US Ohio
    #5360256 - 03/03/06 12:32 AM (18 years, 30 days ago)

I like the "using the bathroom" tip. I often feel like I have pissed myself. I have trouble feeling moisture when tripping or high and often need to do a check, and usually, when shrooming, the only indication I have that I need to piss is warmth in the vicinity of my crotch, which, of course, is also an indication that I pissed myself. So it can get confusing.

And for the record, no I haven't pissed myself before. :p I just always THINK I did.

Invisiblemecreateme
YoUisMEEMsiUoY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Memphrica
    #5360281 - 03/03/06 12:45 AM (18 years, 30 days ago)

Do you have to be so direct? No, I don't think I missed your point at all. Can you see the difference between being alone, by yourself, with nothing to take your mind off of anything and, walking, constantly filling your visual receiving device with new input, data, as it were? Those are a little different and as I said, has to do with taking one's mind off what is going on, at that very moment. They can walk on, or they can face it. I think you need to get off your high horse, stemmer. You post like you are the only person to have "gone so far.."

I will agree, though, walking is a type of meditation, if you want to resort to such words. Sure, they are similar, but not the same. Many of mankind's problems relate to him not being able to be in a room by himself. Probably misquoted, but very similar. Are you really for the human spirit, stemmer, if so, your posts reflect alot of negativity, I usually like all you post, but sometimes you get overly sensitive, direct, and angry? Those are not very becoming. :heart:

Try and reread my other post, stemmer, perhaps you could gleam something from it. It has to do with taking control of one's life, and I am looking at the results right now, it feels sweet, so sweet. To see what you want, and go after it, and achieve results. You can do it, you can. I think you missed the point of my post. Oh well, can't relate to someone who is not willing to listen.

Invisiblekaniz
That one, overthere.
Male

Re: Help, I?m having a bad trip ? what do I do : Advice Thread for new trippers. [Re: mecreateme]
    #5452518 - 03/28/06 06:51 PM (18 years, 4 days ago)

*bump for the new trippers, spring is in the air, and mushrooms seem to be on the mind for many first-timers.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate