Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Pressure Cooker, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineUnder_net
enthusiast
Loc: kentucky
First Time 50-50
    #535376 - 01/30/02 12:06 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

This is my first time attempting casing, and I decided to give the 50-50tek a try. I used 50/5- verm:peat with no additives. I dampened to just weer i could queeze a little juice between my fingers and used the 50-50 for both below and above the mycelium.
After that I covered it with aluminum foil and I just placed it in my terrarium for a clean environment and poked a few holes in the top.

My question is this. The aluminum foil is touching the casing on a part of the casing. Is this bad, should I take the aluminum foil off. I kept it on to conseal the humidity becaue I have a hard time getting my system up to a high humidity. I know mycelium will grow on the sides of jars where it is touching glass so I assume it will work. But I dont like to assume things.

Thanks in advance

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMattycelium

Re: First Time 50-50 [Re: Under_net]
    #535426 - 01/30/02 12:54 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Couple questions : 1) did you sterlized the soil?  2) why did you poke holes in the foil?

During the first stage of casing no light should get to the casing.  Doesnt matter if the foil is touching less its got contams on it, but just pop it in the oven....the oven solves all probs, the oven tek is great :smile:

Also whats your system?? maybe i could give some suggestions... 

--------------------
the cubensis planet is full of magical fruits

OfflineUnder_net
enthusiast
Re: First Time 50-50 [Re: Mattycelium]
    #535436 - 01/30/02 01:20 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

hey, that would be great. As far as the foil being contaminated, I guess its possible. I did spray both sides with lysol before I used it though. I didn't scrub it or anything, but it was fresh from the roll, sprayed and used.
As for the holes. I made them with a pin, and I did it because it was recommended to me by a friend from here. I didn't make that many of them.

Here is a pic of my setup. This is really my first chance of getting to try it out.

The 3/4" PVC goes down the back of the enclosure and runs all the way down the back of the shelving. Every 4 inches there is a 1/4" holes drilled in 3/4" pvc.
I just recently set it up so that there are 2 of those pipes shooting down the back, and one of them shooting up the front.
I did this to promote airflow inside the chamber so as I won't have to fan it off all of the time. I am hoping this will help keep air running in a circular direction throughout the chamber.
I have yet to get a chance to use it yet however.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

One problem I have encountered is my heating. I am using a small fan/coil heater which uses up all of the rooms humidity, thus making it hard for the humidifier to fight against it. When I turn it off and let the temp go to the rooms ambient temp it drops to the low 70's inside of the terrarium.
I tried getting a fishtank heater, but the damn thing has no way of regulating heat. Its a 100 watt wal mart deal for like 15 or 20 dollars. Made by Whisper. Anyways either its broke or its standard temp isn't very warm. Either way it's done me no good. I would like to try a good one that lets me raise the temp of this system, but I'm concerned that its rather large.

Thanks in Advance!

OfflineUnder_net
enthusiast
    #535437 - 01/30/02 01:23 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Oh
Whats up with that oven tek. Do I just put a covered casing tray in the oven for s hort perios od something. With mycelium and all.

Also I did sterilize trhe casing. I made my casing mixture first and dampened it. Then I put it in pint jars in my pressure cooker and put it on 15 lbs for 30 mins. When it came out it had dried a bit so I added distilled water untill it was damp enough to squeeze through my fingers. about an iunch on the bottom. Then ontop of that is 1/2 cake all the way around(8 cakes total) Then 1/4" casing ontop. Covered with foil and its in the terr at 80 - 82 degrees.

OfflineMattycelium

#535446 - 01/30/02 01:42 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

nah the oven tek (its in the tek pages) is more for innoculation of spores into you jars....i wasn't thinking to well i have solid aluminum cover casings for my pans...Wipeing them down with rub alc works fine same with lysol (clorox spray is better, no bleach in it)....

For casings i usually do an inch on each, i think it provides better rooting...

Your setup looks great.... can tell you put alot of work into it... I would say with the heating thats a tough one...is your humidifer an ultrasonic or cool mist? since you have multshelfs i don't think a fish warmer would do much. maybe someone with the similar setup can help? i use hugh containers instead of the shelf cover....no problems in anything, nice and humid and temps round 75-77. I use similar to the mmgg tek...also on the shroomerys tek page.

hope this helps....latta

--------------------
the cubensis planet is full of magical fruits

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Pressure Cooker, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation