Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMyExcuse
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: North
fighting contams in unusual substrate?
    #5339963 - 02/26/06 01:36 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

so.. im growing some pre-inoculated (100% inoculated b+ BRF) cakes into a book (broke up a half pint of cake and stuck it into various parts of the book).

well these bits of mycelium have taken very well to the book and are currently penetrating page by page rather efficiently. the only problem I notice is a bit of green and red (almost looks like large pimples) mold on the outside edges of the book.

I was thinking of a light outer spray using a bit of H2O2 but was worried that it might get absorbed through the pages and effect some of the mycelium.

its pretty small now but im worried about it getting out of hand, plus I dont want it getting control of any large ammounts of the book uncollonized by the mycelium and causing problems later on (although the book is largely deformed due to being soaked to the brim, Im trying to keep it together without cutting anything out for picture purposes).

any help? (ill try to get pictures tommorow)

--------------------
"We're always watching, but it's only watching."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRemainRandom50
Do You Need ToKnow Me?
Re: fighting contams in unusual substrate? [Re: MyExcuse]
    #5340413 - 02/26/06 09:31 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

wow i wouldnt know what to say to this.
i have only HEARD about this method, never actually heard of someone doing it. could u possibly get me a picture, i would love to see this.

--------------------
At times I get consumed by my everyday life and will leave the Shroomery. Yet, every time drugs come falling into my life for fun.....I always think about the Shroomery and then I'm back!

OfflinemrTtheH
Micro Bio

Loc: C A N A D A
Re: fighting contams in unusual substrate? [Re: RemainRandom50]
    #5343177 - 02/26/06 09:43 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

In this awkward situation i would try and burn the contam off with an alk. flame. If your convinced that chemicals will be absorbed. try a physical method.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

"Human beings, the potentially highest form of life expression on this planet have built the vast pharmaceutical industry for the central purpose of poisoning the lowest form of life on the planet--germs!"--Dr. Richard Murray

OfflineMyExcuse
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: North
Re: fighting contams in unusual substrate? [Re: mrTtheH]
    #5346585 - 02/27/06 06:44 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

im just worried about my own health really. the mycelium seems like its got a steady enough hold on the book and i tried a little bit of h2o2 the other day in the area's that looked bad. seemed to help.

--------------------
"We're always watching, but it's only watching."

OfflinemrTtheH
Micro Bio

Re: fighting contams in unusual substrate? [Re: MyExcuse]
    #5347607 - 02/27/06 10:56 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

just out of morbid curiosity why did u decide to infect a book with yer cake?

i see a lot of rotteness. i cant positivily identify any of it just by looking; to determine if it would be safe to consume something that has been in contact with the bacteria/mold. i really do not like to see the gold colour sploches that clearly arnt mold. Staph. aureus grows gold and will really give you the shits/pukes. a bad case of nausia+shits+pukes might mess your plans of a good trip.
here is a list of common molds/fungi that naturally infect paper products.
http://www.mycology.adelaide.edu.au/Fungal_Descriptions/Hyphomycetes_(hyaline)/

do what you want but, my advice would be err on the side of safety and dont eat it OR touch it. no need and its not worth it...IMHO

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

"Human beings, the potentially highest form of life expression on this planet have built the vast pharmaceutical industry for the central purpose of poisoning the lowest form of life on the planet--germs!"--Dr. Richard Murray

Offlinegourmetgrower
I'ze the milkmanwhat knocked upyer maw

Loc: The Old West
    #5347860 - 02/28/06 12:11 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Throw that shit out!

I see mold(s), bacteria, and some type of mildew on that. YUK!

Yknow, paper is mostly cellulose. And since that's cubensis, it probably will never fruit off of paper.

Lol... next it'll be the "bible grow".

--------------------
Howdy, boys! Let's get down to business. I got my colt and my schofield, and they's jist itchin to be broken in.

OfflinemrTtheH
Micro Bio

Re: fighting contams in unusual substrate? [Re: gourmetgrower]
    #5347878 - 02/28/06 12:21 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

ive seen a bible grow. dont know if its fake or not.  gimme a bit ill find the pic

here

http://mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/81178.html?1072053069

:mrt: :mrt: :mrt: :mrt: :mrt: :mrt: :mrt: :mrt:

--------------------

Edited by mrTtheH (02/28/06 12:44 AM)

InvisibleDarkenshroom
PsychedelicExplorationist
Female User Gallery

Loc: I don't exist on this pla...
    #5348037 - 02/28/06 01:18 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Rodger Rabbit is now my hero on the forums, I am going to try to figure that one out one day, Ill fully colonize and fruit an open bible...would be grand.

Darken
*boggles at some of the shroomeries elites' skill*

--------------------
~The first and most important step in cultivation of the wonderful mushroom, is the cultivation of patience for without it you doom yourself to failure~

Offlinegourmetgrower
I'ze the milkmanwhat knocked upyer maw

Loc: The Old West
Re: fighting contams in unusual substrate? [Re: Darkenshroom]
    #5348065 - 02/28/06 01:31 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Well, I'll be dam.... maybe I shouldn't say that, given the situation!

Well, I'll be darned!

--------------------
Howdy, boys! Let's get down to business. I got my colt and my schofield, and they's jist itchin to be broken in.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate