Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Dehydrator

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

drying problem.
    #5337614 - 02/25/06 12:50 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

If you fan dried your fruits for 24 hours, then put them in a container with damp rid, then 14 hours later, you checkd them and realized that your containter was not air tite, and your fruits absorbed some moisture instead of losing it, would it be ok to correct the problem and continue drying the fruits, or should they be tossed?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: drying problem. [Re: Fraggin]
    #5337622 - 02/25/06 12:54 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

as long as they're not rotting you're alright.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

Re: drying problem. [Re: coda]
    #5337625 - 02/25/06 12:56 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

I don't know if they are rotting or not. When I put them in the dessicat chamber they were a stiff and rubbery. When I checked them, they were limp. That was the only noticeable difference other than lots of blueing.

Offlinegourmetgrower
I'ze the milkmanwhat knocked upyer maw

Loc: The Old West
    #5337673 - 02/25/06 01:24 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

If they don't smell bad, they are likely just fine.
Mushrooms IME go limp after absorbing atmospheric moisture.

--------------------
Howdy, boys! Let's get down to business. I got my colt and my schofield, and they's jist itchin to be broken in.

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

Re: drying problem. [Re: gourmetgrower]
    #5338368 - 02/25/06 05:40 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

They definitley smell. But they smell like they taste. If they were bad, what exactly would they smell like? I hate to throw out 30G's of fruits if they are not bad.

Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

#5338403 - 02/25/06 05:57 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

For fraggin's sake PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong but...

As long as they haven't grown any kind of nasty mold on them what could hurt you? It hasn't been that long since they were picked right? And they were semi-dried. I say just finish off the process and dry them fully and they will be fine.

I mean there mushrooms, I wouldn't be surprised is at some point you ate a pizza with mushrooms on it that were stored in worst conditions.

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

Re: drying problem. [Re: musher_420]
    #5338419 - 02/25/06 06:06 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

Yes. I agree bro. When I buy edibles at the store, sometimes I end up tossing half of them out when I get around to cooking them.

They were plucked Thursday night, put on the fan immediatley. Friday night, they were somewhat dried, stiff, and rubbery and I put them in the dessican chamber. Saturday morning, I checked them and they were limp and a bit moist because my dessican chamber was obviously not air tight so I took two identical large bowls, put my desiccant in it's little desiccant holer, and put it inside one bowl, and put my fruits around it and then put the other bowl on top and taped the seam. (all I have for the moment) so, there are the details...

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #5338464 - 02/25/06 06:36 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

if your mushies were rotting they'd have a sickly sweet smell to them and would be turning black (the black would also be gooey not powdery like spores are. If you dont have any nasty molds growing off of them, dont see any black gooey spots, and dont notice any truly funky smells, you SHOULD be ok to eat them. Just dont let them sit wet any longer then they have to.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

Re: drying problem. [Re: coda]
    #5341871 - 02/26/06 07:12 PM (15 years, 12 days ago)

Well, I checked them again today and the conclusion was that there were just too many fruits for the amount of damp-rid I was using. I tossed them into the compost pile.
However, feeling beat by my own defeat, I put shoes on my feet, jumped in my car seat, on my sunday retreat and went to find what's used by the elite.
I was on a mission to find an nesco fruit dryer to dry my fruits.
I went to bed bath and beyond, no luck (but did find some nice air tite containers) then when to target, then to best buy, then to wal-mart and what I found out is that most stores that sometimes carry dehydrators classify them as seasonal items. However, I did chat with this one bloke who said that Academy Sports and Outdoors always has them, and lucky me, they had two in stock. I grabbed one for $28. Not bad considering I threw out 3 times that value in fruits. So behind me is the ambient noise of freshly harvested edibles being dried. For everyone with $30, consider this a smart buy in the hobby of food preservation.

OfflineBUSHY
i am the POPE
 User Gallery

#5343284 - 02/27/06 12:07 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Forget spending $30 for a food preservation machine... Just use some DAMP RID in a tupperware container with a fan blowing in. I happen to have a ton of extra computer parts so I use old Pentium 1 CPU fans.

I can dry 200 grams wet in each in 24-36hrs.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Dehydrator

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation