Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

Recording Devices
    #533724 - 01/28/02 08:44 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I am attending an outdoor event which various djs and live bands willl be show casing their various talents.

I am curious to a efficent (decent sound quality) and somewhat inexpensive way to record the shows, sets?

I need something that could fit in a bookbag.

any ideas?

thanks in advance

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Recording Devices [Re: Anonymous]
    #533872 - 01/28/02 12:54 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

how about a minidisc recorder?

Anonymous

#534421 - 01/28/02 10:54 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I was thinking about a minidisc recorder... but I have found some disadvantages
-only up to an hour recording time
-who uses minidiscs?

I am leaning towards a portable dat recorder at the moment...but sheez they are expensive....but its definetly quality..

Offlinekosmic_charlie
Truckin' in style
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep Elem
    #534428 - 01/28/02 11:01 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

You can transfer from minidisc to CD. If you get a good microphone, a minidisc recorder would do the job.

--------------------

Goin' where the water tastes like wine.

InvisibleGabbaDj
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: Recording Devices [Re: kosmic_charlie]
    #534666 - 01/29/02 05:06 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

How are you planning on hooking this up? If your recording from free air, like just placing a device near a speaker then go with a go with a good walkman or portable stereo and a good microphone, get "type 2 high bias" blank tapes and change them when you need to. Only thing you can do here to get the best SQ is to get a really good mic with good range and pickup.

If your able to hook directly up to the mixer or sound board then go DAT because you cant get any better than DAT.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG          C8.com                    http://www.beatsopjefiets.com/   

Anonymous

Re: Recording Devices [Re: GabbaDj]
    #534758 - 01/29/02 09:54 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

If I get permission from the dj/band I will most certainly hook it up directly to the mixer... what kind of attatchment would I need for this? for dat and mini disc

Mini Disc sounds promising, but if i could get hold of a dat player for less than 400 dollars (mabye on ebay) that would be great. I am thinking the most inexpensive yet effiecent way to go is with the mini disc player and a good mic.

I have until the summer to purchase something ....so keep the suggestions coming. Thanks

a few more questions

Mini disc's would be a cheaper alternative than a dat recorder correct?
is it possible to hook up a dat recorder to computer to convert it to an mp3 file?

OfflineRoger_irrelevant
War's boring,change thechannel!

Re: Recording Devices *DELETED* [Re: Anonymous]
    #535824 - 01/30/02 01:31 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by Roger_irrelevant

Reason for deletion: archive

--------------------
We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams...

InvisibleGabbaDj
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: Recording Devices [Re: Roger_irrelevant]
    #536045 - 01/30/02 04:41 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Hooking up to the sound gear direct is the best way to go but youll propably find out that theyre already recording the event.. In that case then just offer them $100 to get some Cds burnt for yourself..

I have a friend who brings a small walkman and mic to raves and concerts all over. He just leaves everything in the back pack and sets it somewhere near the speakers. I the years hes done this hes had at least 50 walkmans stolen from him but hes got a GREAT collection of events from all over california, he keeps them cataloged, labled and dated. About 2000 tapes now....

Good Luck

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG          C8.com                    http://www.beatsopjefiets.com/   

Anonymous

Re: Recording Devices [Re: GabbaDj]
    #536417 - 01/31/02 12:30 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

thanks for all the insight...

I realize that DAT recorders are really expensive, and if I was goin to pursue this proffesionally that would proly be the way to go.

I am swaying now towards mini disc. I could get a converter so I could hook it up to my home stereo, car stereo, etc. Also transfering the files from the mini disc to my computer i see is possible.
Now jus to pick up a good mic for the mini disc recorder.
any more suggestions are welcome.

GabbaDj...thats an incredible collection your friend has, I really wish I would have started on this earlier.

OfflineRichard_D_James
enthusiast
    #536440 - 01/31/02 01:14 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

"  I was thinking about a minidisc recorder... but I have found some disadvantages
-only up to an hour recording time
-who uses minidiscs?  "

Only up to an hour?  No way man that is bad info... My Sharp md722 (older model) comes with a rechargable lithium-ion, plus a little AA battery module that snaps on to the unit in case your lith-ion is running low. It holds 1 AA battery, only adds about the length and width of a AA battery then a few millimeters. Once again the AA module is optional during use.  With the Lith-Ion on a full charge and the AA battery in place, I can record for 5 hours straight, without the AA module, 3 hours.  I have tested this in the field many times.  Minidisc's are approximatley 2 bucks each.  I also have a Sony ECM-MS907 stereo microphone that runs on a single AA.  With this combo, you can get T.I.T.T.I.E.S recording quality considering the other options.  I mean most people wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between what they are really hearing and the recorded show played back.  There is even a better minidisc mic that SOny makes, MS957 or 977 or something.  If you really wanted it to sound 'pro' i'd go with the best model they make.  ANyways, my minidisc and mic combo cost approx $250 on ebay, new. 

To transfer mini-disc to computer, your soundcard should have some type of Digital input for the best results.  If your soundcard doesn't have a digital in, dont even think about wasting your money on a fucking SB LIVE.  I would recommend a Midiman Delta DIO 2448 ($100).  It has an optical in, so you dont even need any converters, just a lightpipe cable ($15). 
http://www.midiman.com/products/m-audio/dio2448.php

The difference between DAT and Minidisc:
------------------MiniDisc-----DAT
Sampling Rate:-48000khz--48000khz
Resolution:------16-bit-------18-24 bit depending
Media:------------2bux-------8-20bux depending
Cost:------------Minimal------Maximal!!!

The footprint and weight of a DAT recorder is much larger than a minidsc recorder, by approximatley 3-4 times.  Not cool if your trying to sneak a recording.  Also, MiniDisc records compressed music, similar to MP3.  Each minidisc can hold up to 74 minutes, the same as a CD.  CD's by contrast only have a sampling rate of 44100khz (higher is better).    In my opinion, MiniDisc is BETTER than CD in all aspects.  Most people don't see it like that though :smile:
The other cool thing about minidiscs is that you can divide songs as you are recording.  For example, you are recording a show, and you want there to be a track listing.  You can simply press a button while the minidisc is recording to start a new track.  When you are done recording, you can cut up the song, rearrange, and even name each song, and the album, right on the portable unit!!! 

It took me 45 minutes to type this up, so I hope is was helpful to someone.  I researched my purchase as much as I could, but couldn't get any info on the stuff I really wanted to know if it did.  I didn't even realize the complexity and genius of the minidisc format until I recieved my Sharp 722 in the mail.  It has the best features of any other portable minidisc recorder as of the time i ordered it (July 2001). I highly recommend the unit.  Its low cost and reliable.  If anyone has any other questions about MiniDiscs or pro audio in general, just ask!

Edited by Richard_D_James (01/31/02 01:16 AM)

Anonymous

Re: Recording Devices [Re: Richard_D_James]
    #536571 - 01/31/02 04:43 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Richcard d james, awesome thanks for the insightful post!!!!

another question......
can you hook up a mixer directly to the mini disk recorder to record a live set?

regarding mics...what features should I look for to obtain the highest sound quality?

Offlinethe MidWay
Loc: earth
    #536574 - 01/31/02 04:44 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah man, the Sharp 722 MDR ROCKS!!!
if only there was a rec level control on the illuminated remote...

Sometimes, if you bring your own cable,
the FOH engineer will patch you straight into the board
otherwise, If you want a good recording
you have got to invest in good mics...

check out www.soundprofessionals.com
for a sweet pair of matched Audio Technica omnidirectional minis.
they run on MD plug-in power, and can hide inside your hat.
they run $200, which is dirt cheap for mics that sound like these.
they also have very nice condenser binaural mics...

Binaural recordings are made using a dummy (or real) head with microphones placed inside of the ear. When the recording is heard through headphones it sounds like you are THERE!

This MiniDisc~earplug headphones~stereo mics in hat combo has got to be the greatest trip toy EVER!
I call it "The Temporal Transportation Apparatus"

I believe the first traveler who ever straped microphones to his head during a trip was Carl Stephenson, the god father of Trip~Hop...He co-produced Beck's "Mellow Gold" and went on to create The Best Trip Album Ever: FOREST FOR THE TREES

For an excellent example of binaural and other experimental recording techniques, BUY the album FOREST FOR THE TREES with the song YOU CREATE THE REASON on it...

Make sure your peaking...

~j

Anonymous

#536584 - 01/31/02 04:51 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

anyone have an opinion on the top mini discs recorders on the market now?

Alright thanks to all the insight here, I have decided to go with the Sony MZ-R900 MD and the Sony ECM-MS907 microphone...  this looks like a good combo,  tell help me capture those live performances this summer.

now jus to find a good price  :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media