Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: [Re: JayBin]
    #1415097 - 03/27/03 05:10 PM (21 years, 25 days ago)

That is scary stuff...

I woulda taken that jar into the doctor if I still had it, and MADE him sniff it for ignoring me. Bullshit that they found it was funny that you may have had a source for your illness.

I am never opening a contaminated jar again, not worth trying to clean it out. I do not have a biohazard suit, but apparently we all should have one just in case...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Smelt Jars for contamination. I was taken to ER!!! [Re: Hector]
    #1415120 - 03/27/03 05:21 PM (21 years, 25 days ago)

Sorry but this post is about a year old...

Anonymous

Re: Smelt Jars for contamination. I was taken to ER!!! [Re: bizarro]
    #1418310 - 03/30/03 01:02 PM (21 years, 22 days ago)

Dear JayBin:

I hope you feel better. Sometimes, we are all unlucky and misfortune finds us. But no worries, you will be fine. I just hope this incident doesn't deter you from continuing a hobby you love, or may grow to love.

Best of luck in the future, don't get sick again! :smile:.

Regards,
daba

OfflineSlapnutRob
Toolhead

Loc: Michigan
Re: Smelt Jars for contamination. I was taken to ER!!! [Re: bizarro]
    #1419716 - 03/31/03 11:28 AM (21 years, 21 days ago)

I'm trying my hand in growing for the first time, and I tried smelling a jar last night which I wasn't sure if it was mycelia or cobweb. It was a strong mushroom smell, it didn't smell rancid or anything. It was a mistake I won't make again though, and I wish every FAQ would point it out... I feel fine except for sneezing, and I did it first about 12 hours ago. Should I be worried?

--------------------
Anything stated above is fictional roleplay dialog by the character that is Slapnut Rob, in no way representing the actions or beliefs of the man behind the keys.

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Smelt Jars for contamination. I was taken to ER!!! [Re: SlapnutRob]
    #1479555 - 04/21/03 04:20 PM (21 years, 8 hours ago)

I wish that I had read this post four hours ago. I didn't sniff any open jars but I did have to dispose of six heavily contaminated jars. I would have taken alot more precaution if I had read this first. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Edited by Ekstaza (04/21/03 07:51 PM)

OfflineAwake_and_Away
Stranger

Re: Smelt Jars for contamination. I was taken to ER!!! [Re: ChangLee]
    #26924978 - 09/08/20 04:45 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ChangLee said:
At the risk of sounding like everyone's father:
<br>
<br>When we sterilize substrate and make conditions perfect for the proliferation of mycelium, it's also perfect for concentrated growth of any other opportunistic organism--like unwanted bacteria, mold and fungus. 
<br>
<br>You're not dealing with a singular pathogenic spore or cell.  You are dealing with a STOCKPILE!!  You have mass produced the shit. 
<br>
<br>IT CAN KILL YOU EASILY! 
<br>
<br>The shit that makes us sick exists in nature in parts per million.  This is a scant amount.  And as a result, we don't get sick too often. 
<br>
<br>Our sterilized jars of substrate, if inoculated with the WRONG organism becomes a lethal dose.  This isn't a stray spore entering our lungs.  THIS IS A HIT OF CONCENTRATED POISON!
<br>
<br>We unwittingly create a potent biological time bomb.  The amount of bacteria that we can grow in a jar  is present in numbers higher than the population of people on this planet. 
<br>
<br>An analogy for those unconvinced, breathing off the top of a contaminated jar is about as intelligent as licking a petri-culture of HIV virus. 
<br>
<br>Read the teks and use common sense!!  If a jar becomes contaminated DON'T open it up.  PRESSURE COOK IT, and dispose of the contents as soon as it comes out.  Use a pot holder.  Either down your in sinkerator, or outside to the dumpster. 
<br>
<br>If you even THINK a jar MIGHT be contaminated, don't gamble with your life.  You should almost be able to smell it through the metal lid.  And DEFINITELY through the inoculation holes we drill in the lid if the tape is removed. 
<br>
<br>IF YOU'RE GONNA SMELL IT, HOLD THE JAR A FOOT FROM YOUR FACE AND G E N T L Y WAFT A WHIFF TOWARDS YOUR NOSE.
<br>
<br>These contaminated jars are like the product of a biological weapons company.  Only difference is we make it by accident. 
<br>
<br>Jaybin, you're fuckin' lucky to be alive.  If you suspect contams, ditch it. 
<br>
<br>I'm amazed by how some people ask if a known contaminated mushroom MIGHT be safe to consume.  And they're encouraged by responses of those who have done so, and lived.
<br>
<br>WHY BE STUPID AND RISK IT? 
<br>
<br>Ditch it.  That way you'll be alive. 
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br> 

I realise I'm bumping an ancient thread here, but I'm wondering if there are any experts here who can answer a question.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of guides out there about making sourdough starter. Sourdough starters will typically contain Bacillus cultures (which contribute to the sour flavour) and probably can grow Pseudomonas too.

Every guide says you can diagnose your starter by smelling it. Not one guide has a warning that this can cause illness.

Why would this be different from a bacterial/yeast contaminated jar?

Speaking with personal interest as I just opened a jar (indoors :/) that looked a bit bacterial, and it definitely had the sour, apple cidery smell that people seem to be suggesting is evidence of Bacillus (if not Pseudomonas). I probably smelled it from just a couple of inches away... I hope I'll be alright, but this thread has me worried.

I feel like TEKs on this site (and on the web in general) should not tell you to expect a mushroomy smell from your cakes... because that will make newbies like me likely to smell their cakes... I just hope I didn't make a terrible mistake.

Any new knowledge in the intervening years since this thread was posted?

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Smelt Jars for contamination. I was taken to ER!!! [Re: Awake_and_Away]
    #26924988 - 09/08/20 04:54 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Giving a bacterial jar a quick smell test isn't going to make you sick.

Relax.

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

OfflineAwake_and_Away
Stranger

Re: Smelt Jars for contamination. I was taken to ER!!! [Re: Forrester]
    #26925061 - 09/08/20 05:50 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Thought so, I wonder if this thread is filled with a bunch of coincidence and confirmation bias.

... But what about several sniffs, and flushing the cake down a toilet (aerosolising?)?

Thanks for the reply btw

Offlineborderline
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Smelt Jars for contamination. I was taken to ER!!! [Re: JayBin]
    #27124617 - 01/03/21 07:37 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

lots of idiot docs out there, but it certainly doesn't help to lie to them. So many of the organisms that can grow in your jars can be deadly. Don't take them lightly. I know I have in the past.

OfflineSpaceBaby
alchemist
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: SPACE
    #27149176 - 01/15/21 06:15 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Docs are often totally clueless, unless maybe they have specific experience with the very thing you are presenting. It is called PRACTICING medicine.

Glad to hear you aren't dead. That would suck.

--------------------
SpaceBaby
SPACEBABY'S LAGM22 THREAD
MUSHBOY'S SHROOM TEA TEK

Me as a cube

Another Day's Work:

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #27149276 - 01/15/21 06:15 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
Replying to someone who's been gone over a decade

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale