Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Biker Gangs vs. Homophobes
    #5323790 - 02/21/06 11:59 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/21/funeral.motorcyclists.ap/index.html

FORT CAMPBELL, Kentucky (AP) -- Wearing vests covered in military patches, a band of motorcyclists rolls around the country from one soldier's funeral to another, cheering respectfully to overshadow jeers from church protesters.

They call themselves the Patriot Guard Riders, and they are more than 5,000 strong, forming to counter anti-gay protests held by the Rev. Fred Phelps at military funerals.

Phelps believes American deaths in Iraq are divine punishment for a country that he says harbors homosexuals. His protesters carry signs thanking God for so-called IEDs -- explosives that are a major killer of soldiers in Iraq.

The bikers shield the families of dead soldiers from the protesters, and overshadow the jeers with patriotic chants and a sea of red, white and blue flags.

"The most important thing we can do is let families know that the nation cares," said Don Woodrick, the group's Kentucky captain. "When a total stranger gets on a motorcycle in the middle of winter and drives 300 miles to hold a flag, that makes a powerful statement."

At least 14 states are considering laws aimed at the funeral protesters, who at a recent memorial service at Fort Campbell wrapped themselves in upside-down American flags. They danced and sang impromptu songs peppered with vulgarities that condemned homosexuals and soldiers.

The Patriot Guard was also there, waving up a ruckus of support for the families across the street. Community members came in the freezing rain to chant "U-S-A, U-S-A" alongside them.

"This is just the right thing to do. This is something America didn't do in the '70s," said Kurt Mayer, the group's national spokesman. "Whether we agree with why we're over there, these soldiers are dying to protect our freedoms."

Shirley Phelps-Roper, a daughter of Fred Phelps and an attorney for the Topeka, Kansas-based church, said neither state laws nor the Patriot Guard can silence their message that God killed the soldiers because they fought for a country that embraces homosexuals.

"The scriptures are crystal clear that when God sets out to punish a nation, it is with the sword. An IED is just a broken-up sword," Phelps-Roper said. "Since that is his weapon of choice, our forum of choice has got to be a dead soldier's funeral."

The church, Westboro Baptist Church, is not affiliated with a larger denomination and is made up mostly of Fred Phelps' extended family members.

During the 1990s, church members were known mostly for picketing the funerals of AIDS victims, and they have long been tracked as a hate group by the Montgomery, Alabama-based Southern Poverty Law Center's Intelligence Project.

The project's deputy director, Heidi Beirich, said other groups have tried to counter Phelps' message, but none has been as organized as the Patriot Guard.

"I'm not sure anybody has gone to this length to stand in solidarity," she said. "It's nice that these veterans and their supporters are trying to do something. I can't imagine anything worse, your loved one is killed in Iraq and you've got to deal with Fred Phelps."

Kentucky, home to sprawling Fort Campbell along the Tennessee line, was among the first states to attempt to deal with Phelps legislatively. Its House and Senate have each passed bills that would limit people from protesting within 300 feet of a funeral or memorial service. The Senate version would also keep protesters from being within earshot of grieving friends and family members.

Richard Wilbur, a retired police detective, said his Indiana Patriot Guard group only comes to funerals if invited by family. He said he has no problem with protests against the war but sees no place for objectors at a family's final goodbye to a soldier.

"No one deserves this," he said.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegiz
daydreamer
Male

Loc: EU
Re: Biker Gangs vs. Homophobes [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #5323808 - 02/21/06 12:04 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

hmm what a bunch of fucktards

Male

Re: Biker Gangs vs. Homophobes [Re: giz]
    #5323814 - 02/21/06 12:06 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

...which ones?

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleCherryBomM
Yoga Gypsy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
    #5323834 - 02/21/06 12:12 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

That's really awesome. I love it when people come together to HELP. It's so refreshing.

--------------------

InvisibleTYL3R
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#5323847 - 02/21/06 12:17 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #5323879 - 02/21/06 12:29 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I wish they would just go and beat the shit out of Fred Phelps.

--------------------

OfflineHarmonic_Order
Nshudimasupatogata
Male User Gallery

Loc: Out on the Street
Re: Biker Gangs vs. Homophobes [Re: TYL3R]
    #5323962 - 02/21/06 12:50 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

What a question.
And our military doesn't stick up for the gay and lesbian servicemen.
How can we expect them to serve?
and one shudders to think what solution rev.phelps offers to the "homosexual problem."

H_O

--------------------
.oOo. Are you high? .oOo.
.oOo. You look like you're on some kind of drug .oOo.

Male

Re: Biker Gangs vs. Homophobes [Re: Harmonic_Order]
    #5323965 - 02/21/06 12:51 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Harmonic_Order said:
What a question.
And our military doesn't stick up for the gay and lesbian servicemen.
How can we expect them to serve?
and one shudders to think what solution rev.phelps offers to the "homosexual problem."

H_O

Dude, I totally agree. It's sad that the army itself hasn't stepped forward asking Phelps to cease and desist.

Or have thye? Anyone know?

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

Loc: Israeli in
    #5323985 - 02/21/06 12:58 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

this is the exect same mechanisem which made religion so great!
taking advantage of stupid people!

meh :crankey:

--------------------
:mushdance::sanpedro::peyote::mushroom2: :heart: Shr:supershroom::supershroom:mery :heart: :mushroom2::peyote::sanpedro::mushdance:
      Visit & Support Free Spore Ring Earth
      :sun: Please help spread live Salvia Divinorum :sun:

OfflineHarmonic_Order
Nshudimasupatogata
Male User Gallery

Loc: Out on the Street
Re: Biker Gangs vs. Homophobes [Re: Simisu]
    #5324078 - 02/21/06 01:33 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

When Ike wanted to integrate the Armed Forces, he said, "We are now integrating black servicemen. You will comply, or surrender your commission." And all the roughnecks fell in line with it.
Clinton left the Rainbow People out in the cold, really, with his half-assed integration. It had no teeth in it. The Armed Forces didn't respect him, I have heard. He gave them a dangerous place to work, all right! You can serve, but if you get jumped by anyone, keep your mouth shut! Reporting the reason can get you fired. Gay servicemen have complained in the press that they are discharged "just before" their commission matures, on any pretext. that way, Uncle Sam gets their BS&T but doesn't pay them retirement or any other bennies

Double meh and nays on that

H_O

--------------------
.oOo. Are you high? .oOo.
.oOo. You look like you're on some kind of drug .oOo.

Offlinemediman0078
Stilllooking.....

Loc: Here, there, EVERYWHERE
Re: Biker Gangs vs. Homophobes [Re: Harmonic_Order]
    #5324098 - 02/21/06 01:42 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

If that had been me that wound up in the grave when I served in the gulf, i would hope that my entire family would beat the living hell out of anyone that fucking retarded. What the fuck is tormenting people who just lost a relative going to do other than really piss them off? That isn't even remotely helpful, even to their own anti-gay agenda... it's just makes them supreme assholes. I'd love to find out if those fuckers are doing that anywhere near where I live, cause that'd be a well deserved ass kicking to hand out. I wouldn't even mind going to jail for assault to fuck up a few of those dickheads. :crankey:

--------------------
........someday I'll find it.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Biker Gangs vs. Homophobes [Re: mediman0078]
    #5324109 - 02/21/06 01:44 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

we just need to give dick cheney a shotgun and some birdshot and have him attend every funeral.

Offlinemediman0078
Stilllooking.....

Loc: Here, there, EVERYWHERE
Re: Biker Gangs vs. Homophobes [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #5324128 - 02/21/06 01:49 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

"here dick, here's a AA12 automatic shotgun... see those guys over there? They said you're a big nancy boy that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.... now remember, this shotgun pumps out 120 rnd a minute, so be sure to sweep quickly to hit them all."

:evil:

--------------------
........someday I'll find it.

InvisibleTYL3R
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Biker Gangs vs. Homophobes [Re: mediman0078]
    #5324132 - 02/21/06 01:50 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

:rofl:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder