Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSyd_barret
The Greatest
Premature mushies, tell me whats wrong
    #531833 - 01/26/02 09:25 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Ok, I have a few casings setup via sea of shrooms tek using brf. I keep it in a terranium that is always in the temp range of 72-78. The humidity is always above 90%, but how far above 90% I cannot tell. If I leave the terranium for a good 8+ hours without fanning water droplets have formed on the sides of the terranium.
I also have a aquarium heater that emits a small amount of light, kind of an orange light. I thought that this may be the problem with my mushrooms breaking their veil too early, so I covered it with a black plastic bag partially, but light was still able to get through. Not nearly as much though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMklangelo
enthusiast
Loc: Continental United States
Re: Premature mushies, tell me whats wrong [Re: Syd_barret]
    #531870 - 01/26/02 10:21 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

My friend has Cambos cased 50/50 and conditions similar to yours. He had similar early maturation, particularly in the later flushes but still enough to be concerned about in the first ones too. It isn't the orange light from the heater causing this and I am assuming they do have some source of light other than that though. My friend has a 75 watt bulb on the floor in a medium sized closet. It keeps temps in range and light 24/7.

--------------------
[red] Life:[/red][blue] Live it foward, understand it backward...[/blue]

Anonymous

#531872 - 01/26/02 10:22 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

What makes you think they are breaking thier viels too early?

Your little light has nothing to do with it, its jsut the way they grow.

OfflineSyd_barret
The Greatest
Re: Premature mushies, tell me whats wrong [Re: ]
    #531890 - 01/26/02 10:42 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Because these bastards are extremely small.

I am assuming they are breaking too early because they are just wayyyyy too small.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #531907 - 01/26/02 10:59 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Are they smaller than the shrooms on my PF cake under pictures? What strain are you growing? Some strains grow small. I am growing KS right now, they tend to grow small. I also have PF growing small on PF cakes.

I feel your pain.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

OfflineSyd_barret
The Greatest
Re: Premature mushies, tell me whats wrong [Re: Joshua]
    #531913 - 01/26/02 11:05 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Yeh I'd say my shrooms are prolly about that size as well. Maybe even a bit smaller.... I am growing the B+ strain, at least thats what I think it is, it may be Golden Teacher but I am fairly sure it's B+

Offlinejag192
Loc: Ilidantia
    #531917 - 01/26/02 11:08 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

i have some tc's on rye grain cased with 50/50+ that are tiny as well. the biggest one in the first flush was under 3 inches and some were hardly an inch with full open veils. right now the second flush is growing and two little bitty ones (about an inch long with 2cm wide caps) have already opened again. i can't figure out what is causing this but it is pissing me off. does anyone know how to fix this or what might cause it? my theories are a thin substrate layer and/or lack of moisture in the substrate.....but i have done everything in my power to keep it moist and humid.

--------------------
"The man of Tao remains unknown
Perfect virtue produces nothing
'No-Self' is 'True-Self'
And the greatest man is Nobody"

OfflineMattycelium

Re: Premature mushies, tell me whats wrong [Re: jag192]
    #531964 - 01/26/02 11:51 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

My cat really hasnt had problems, but recently shes had this casing of aussies that grow to about 3in and then don't break the veil. I would think its similiar to your problems.. lack of nutrition is all i could think, temp and humidity is a ok....and all the other strains shes has in the tank are growing fine... who knows....try honey tex or some other substrate..hers were on brf also.....but trying a new some new teks with aminos will let ya know how it works out

--------------------
the cubensis planet is full of magical fruits

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #531997 - 01/26/02 12:20 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

What kind of substrate? I am using BRF and have heard that the fruits are smaller off of BRF than other substrates. Water content and substrate volume may have something to do with it also. I have seen casings where the substrate was broken up and not allowed to form back together. When this happens you get little island of substrate under your casing layer. These little islands have very little capacity to produce larger fruits. As I said before I am having the same problems. I guess we just need more practice.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Anonymous

#532029 - 01/26/02 01:02 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Lower your humidity. this can be accomplished simply by fanning manual twice a day, leaving the lid to your chamber cracked slightly. For mushrooms to develope properly there has to be a good difference between the moisture content of the casing, and shrooms, and the moisture content of the air. This gradient is responsible for their developement from button to mature mushroom. If your humidity is too high, they just won't develope properly.
85-90 % for the RH around the casings, for mushroom developement.
95+ for pinning to button stage.
If you want to keep humidity up, you have to fan alot more.

Cakes require the higher humidity, just so they won't dry out.

Offlinejag192
Loc: Ilidantia
    #532049 - 01/26/02 01:12 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

my casing is in a small flimsy plastic container the casing is about 1/2 the bottom of the container (the other 1/2 was lost to green) it is self-humidified as the container is aprox 7 inches tall and has a tight fitting top that i have fitted with a filter patch. i open it 3-4 times daily for fanning and lightly mist after fanning and if it seems dry. what should i change?

--------------------
"The man of Tao remains unknown
Perfect virtue produces nothing
'No-Self' is 'True-Self'
And the greatest man is Nobody"

Anonymous

#532050 - 01/26/02 01:13 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

P.s. some strains(spore races) are very tolerant to high humidity and low air exchange. The best I have seen so far for this is the Sporeworks GT. It will pin and mature with zero air exchange, fanning, and higher humidities.

I found the Cambodian, Lipa Ya, and B+ to have higher demands for good air exchange, and an increased Water vapor gradient between the casing and the Air.
The B+ was more tolerant then the Lipa Ya, which was more tolerant then the Cambodian. I had the most trouble fruiting the Cambodian indoors in my minimalist set-up. Once it was put outdoors in a rubbermaid, SOUTH FLORIDA SHADED PORCH, with perlite humidification, after one day they started swelling up Like crazy. In the end they turned out to be monsters. They required a very fast evaporation rate to mature properly for me.

The Equadors were similar to the B+ , and the P. Ricans but alittle more forgiving. Nothing like the GT.

OfflineSyd_barret
The Greatest
    #532054 - 01/26/02 01:17 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I do leave my terranium lid cracked.......... oh wells

OfflineMklangelo
enthusiast
Loc: Continental United States
    #532097 - 01/26/02 01:59 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah I'm fanning twice per 24hrs and humidity is 80-90% (my gauge has a +-5 accuracy) I get the occasional 6 incher but most a pretty puny. (Cambos in 50/50 on Finch seed)

--------------------
[red] Life:[/red][blue] Live it foward, understand it backward...[/blue]

OfflineSyd_barret
The Greatest
Re: Premature mushies, tell me whats wrong [Re: Mklangelo]
    #532129 - 01/26/02 02:31 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I think my absolute largest so far has been a 3 incher :frown:

Oh well I am using a shitty casing tek.. I had no choice (don't ask)

Anonymous

#532433 - 01/26/02 09:17 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Crack it some more. Leave up to 30 % of it exposed if need be. Just make sure you don't let your casing dry out. How big of casings are you using, depth and area? I didn't have a single B+ under 3 inches tall, the majority were much taller. The cambos, once put in the right environment, got tall, but their girth was more impressive, very meaty shrooms. Maybe you guys just got bad matings, but it is rare with cubensis.

My substrate is about 1 inch thick, 8x8 inch area.

Contamination?

I have seen plenty of good flushes posted on both BRF and millet.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate