Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
The Italian Market (a photo journey)
    #5290675 - 02/12/06 01:40 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Head down the south part of Philly past Washington and 24 street and right by the famous Pat's King of Steaks, and you may find yourself in the one of the oldest Italian districts in the United States.

Welcome to the italian market. THE place to find all sorts of the most authentic, high quality ingrediants available to satiate all your italian cullinary desires.

The setup is placed with produce and meat stores set up indoors and outdoors along the streets. And the things you find, you definitely won't get at your local Whole Foods, or dare I say it, even your local Farmer's Market.

This place tops it all. From it's specialty stores to its butcher shops, the variety and product diversity is pretty much unparalleled.

So me and a couple buddies headed on down to pick up as many ingrediants as we desired, since we were(are) organizing a large cookout for 20 or so of our classmates.

THe fish markets are everywhere. Large lines and crowds lining up to place an order on the variety of fresh catches.

The prices are incredibly generous as well. I was so tempted to pick up a half-dozen blue crabs to make a broth with.

This place is amazing, almost all the markets are ran by Italians. Being from California, it was a neat experience interacting with such a concentrated population of an ethnicity whose culture isn't as emphasized out west.

The produce is incredibly cheap, and of excellent quality. Almost all the vegetables they sell go for $1 per pound. I ended up purchasing an enormous quanitity of fresh basil. Like it had been picked form the plant, the leafs were totally malleable and soft, unlike the hardened, waxy vacuum-packs they sell at trader joes or acme.

I even managed to find a bach of elusive plantane's, perfectly ripened as well. We ended up buying 7-8 of these babies, which we will fry up with a carmelized crust for desert, along with honey vanilla ice cream.

The meat stores were another spectacle in themselves. I have never seen such a variety of italian sausages in my life. They had all kinds of stuffings, veal with chili, pork with phenyl seeds, veal with cheese and spinach...etc.

And they sell every part of the animal. I have no idea how to prepare many of the things they sold. I was completely out of my league.

Some places even sold fresh game, unplucked. I found this butcher's window rather amusing.

My buddy by one of the meat shops. We went ahead and bought 5 pounds of sausage, each pound of a different variety.

Many of the shops like this one, had fresh motzarella hanging from the ceilings. Absolutely wonderfull.

Inside one of the stores. You can see whole salami hanging and curing. Many stores also sold full legs of prosciutto and pancietta, or you could obviously order by slice.

In this specific store, they actually sold fresh pasta made to order. So you would go up to the counter, and ask them what you want. They'd go grab a huge wad of dough and cut the pasta for you, wrapped and sealed.

I ended up buying 2 pounds of fresh fetuccini, along with some cheese-and herb ravioli they had made by hand earlier in the day.

So that's the Italian Market in a nutshell. Probably my all-time favorite place to go shopping for food or groceries. If you're ever in the Philadelphia area and desire some incredibly authentic italian goods, or even if you're looking for a real ethnic-philadelphian experience, I highly recomend you stop by.

Tommorrow is a big day of cooking!

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: The Italian Market (a photo journey) [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #5291281 - 02/12/06 12:15 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Great post.  Gotta love the markets.  One of the blessings Cleveland offers, is Little Italy.  Lots of shops and restraunts, yearly feasts, and great people.

I have totally given up on grocery stores.  Haven't been in one in a month.  I shop strictly at markets now.  Fresher foods and better/more knowledgeable people.

:cheers: to markets!

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Offlinechamp
pudding pop
 User Gallery

Loc: unknown trashscape
    #5291636 - 02/12/06 02:21 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

my parents used to take me there when I was a little kid and feed me pickled veggies out of big barrels. I loved it!

Haven't been in years, though. I'm definitely gonna check it out next time I'm in Philly.

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #5291756 - 02/12/06 03:02 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

:thumbup:  Kick ass post  :thumbup:

We have no little Italy around here  :mad:

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
    #5293770 - 02/13/06 04:39 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Nice illustration! I eat lots of Italian food when with my family, they are 100%.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
Re: The Italian Market (a photo journey) [Re: eris]
    #5294308 - 02/13/06 10:54 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I've never told another guy this before but nice salami. Ripe plaintains, mmmmmm.....

--------------------
...or something

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #5294530 - 02/13/06 11:55 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

> Tommorrow is a big day of cooking!

Horray for open air markets - So what'd you cook?

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Invisiblechinadoll
there
 User Gallery

Loc: dark side of terrapin
    #5311979 - 02/17/06 08:47 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

You've never been to Arthur Ave in the Bronx. That's the original Marketta. We were there for dinner tonight. You can't beat it.

--------------------
Just a little nervous from the fall.

OfflineLiquidSmoke

Re: The Italian Market (a photo journey) [Re: geokills]
    #5312611 - 02/18/06 02:12 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

*takes deep breathe*

We made the following:

A big pot of marinara sauce using organic crushed romane tomatoes, red wine, tomato paste, roasted and minced garlic, sweated onions, mushrooms, and cubed carrots.

In the sauce we put in 3 types of meats, these italian pork and red pepper sausages, Pork fat/bone pieces for flavoring, and hand-made meatballs we made from ground beef, a little bit of water, salt, pepper, lots of chopped garlic, bread crumbs, raw eggs, and diced onions.

We let that simmer all day long.

We also made parmesian breaded veal cutlets with italian herb bread crumbs and imported italian parmesian we grated ourselves.

We also made two pans of lasanga using grilled chicken breast meat, feta cheese, roasted red bell peppers, and pesto sauce we made from scratch (fresh basil, walnuts, EVOO, garlic, salt, pepper, lime juice, parsley, parmesian cheese).

For desert, i bit off your idea and baked some super-soft chocolate chip cookies with vanilla ice cream.

Oh and here's the pasta we served the sauce on, this is only a sample of the ingrediants we used.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Offlineymhrswrider
Butthead

#5313430 - 02/18/06 01:41 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

God I'm so jealous you've got something like that around. Try this next time. I make this desert alot. As your frying your bananas and they are about 1 minute from being done, add some brandy or liquor. Light it and you've got flambe'(sp?). Makes a great sauce to go over the ice cream.

--------------------
Flashbacks are God's way of saying, "This one's on me".

InvisibleArmFromTheAbyss
Old Hand

Loc: Down here in Babylon
    #5313521 - 02/18/06 02:20 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Shit, man I could walk there right now.

I'll defenetly have to check that out. Is this an everyday thing or does it only happen like once a week?

I usually go to Reading Terminal Market, but it looks like I could get some cheap food at the Italian Market.

--------------------

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#5321844 - 02/20/06 09:20 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

One time i stole a small dead pig from there! Ha ha i was drunk. But it was tasty.

I thought you were from the west coast.....

InvisibleLobsterSauceDiscord
 User Gallery

#16339384 - 06/06/12 02:10 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

LiquidSmoke said:
*takes deep breathe*

We made the following:

A big pot of marinara sauce using organic crushed romane tomatoes, red wine, tomato paste, roasted and minced garlic, sweated onions, mushrooms, and cubed carrots.

In the sauce we put in 3 types of meats, these italian pork and red pepper sausages, Pork fat/bone pieces for flavoring, and hand-made meatballs we made from ground beef, a little bit of water, salt, pepper, lots of chopped garlic, bread crumbs, raw eggs, and diced onions.

We let that simmer all day long.

We also made parmesian breaded veal cutlets with italian herb bread crumbs and imported italian parmesian we grated ourselves.

We also made two pans of lasanga using grilled chicken breast meat, feta cheese, roasted red bell peppers, and pesto sauce we made from scratch (fresh basil, walnuts, EVOO, garlic, salt, pepper, lime juice, parsley, parmesian cheese).

For desert, i bit off your idea and baked some super-soft chocolate chip cookies with vanilla ice cream.

Oh and here's the pasta we served the sauce on, this is only a sample of the ingrediants we used.

Quoting to look back on. I want to make my own pesto Calabrese sauce. I shouldn't do searches when I'm hungry.

Invisibleherman the kid
Wyld Stallyn
Male

Loc: Videodrome
Re: The Italian Market (a photo journey) [Re: LobsterSauce]
    #16355480 - 06/09/12 09:31 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Hit up Paesanos next time.  I'm particular to the sucking pig sandwich.

InvisibleJohn NadaDiscord
Toujours Frais
 User Gallery
Loc: Hotwings; race car
    #16355562 - 06/09/12 10:05 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

LiquidSmoke said:

The meat stores were another spectacle in themselves.  I have never seen such a variety of italian sausages in my life.  They had all kinds of stuffings, veal with chili, pork with phenyl seeds, veal with cheese and spinach...etc.

*FENNEL, not "phenyl". You can tell you are not really the epicurean you wish to be seen as so much, LS. You can't even spell "fennel". I eat 40% crap junk food and I fucking hate fennel and I can still spell it.

MEDICAL STUDENTS, LOL.

InvisibleJohn NadaDiscord
Toujours Frais
 User Gallery
Loc: Hotwings; race car
    #16357583 - 06/09/12 06:52 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

So wait, they sell raw noodles, and you boil them while they are still raw and floppy and shit? I don't know crap about fresh noodles obviously. My noodles come a box and they are dry and hard.

OfflineLiquidSmoke

Re: The Italian Market (a photo journey) [Re: John Nada]
    #16357642 - 06/09/12 07:05 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah they take much less time to cook, like the fresh fetuccini needs about 2 minutes max in the boil.

And the texture/flavor of fresh noodles is better, because it's fresh product.

--------------------

Invisibleherman the kid
Wyld Stallyn
Male

Loc: Videodrome
    #16357781 - 06/09/12 07:41 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I dig fresh pasta, but some people are put off by the texture if they're used to dry stuff.

Invisiblethedirtymac
Female User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: The Italian Market (a photo journey) [Re: herman the kid]
    #16358016 - 06/09/12 08:26 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Elusive plantain? Within a ten minute walk from my house I can buy plantains at three different stores. We don't have many European markets or food stores on the west coast. I do feel really lucky how many different Asian, Russian, and Mexican stores there are everywhere. I love exploring other food cultures.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: The Italian Market (a photo journey) [Re: John Nada]
    #16359365 - 06/10/12 02:05 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

StevenMichael said:
So wait, they sell raw noodles, and you boil them while they are still raw and floppy and shit? I don't know crap about fresh noodles obviously. My noodles come a box and they are dry and hard.

you're really missing out

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies