Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblestevo

Loc: Area 51
Using a cantenna for wardriving
    #5310020 - 02/17/06 12:35 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

I just built one of these, for added coolness to my wireless network.  The problem with this is you have to spin it all around to get a good signal for wardriving.

I was thinking of taking a small motor, and a worm gear (if you dont know what that is http://www.flying-pig.co.uk/mechanisms/pages/worm.html), glued to a PC power supply box or hard drive bay, and gearing it to another internal gear, which could spin hte actual antenna through a slipring type of device, which is attached to the can, so that it pivits when I flip a switch.

For added coolness, a small enclosure mounted on my truck to eject the antenna would be cool (i'm still working on that) and optionally a sentry gun for authorities (Just kidding :smile:

Also, the switch is only a quick solution off the top of my head.  This device will only permit the convienience of pushing a button or switch.  A really automated system would be able to measure the signal strength and stop when it gets to a peak (or at least programmed cutoff level) signal strength, but tot do this at the digital level would be expensive and not be very portable for the hundreds of different cards there are.  As to perform the logic, (assuming you hacked your card) a WRT54G router makes for a good small low wattage CPU, and even has a lightweight linux distro called OpenWRT, if you are afraid of circuits, but can hack around with C code.  Still this seems like a very idea. 

Anyone have any advice on how to capture the signal strength before the signals are sent to the card?

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Jump to top Pages: 1