Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Oyster Shell, Paul Stamets, Peat, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleplaastikbob
Stranger

Is lime necessary?
    #530054 - 01/24/02 12:19 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Ok i read all this stuf that Stamets and other people say about buffering the PH of peat moss and vermiculite with lime or something. I'm wondering if this really necessary. I'm curious becasue after all this hype, a couple of days ago a guy posted on here with all kinds of pictures of his P H A T casing results. You all saw the pictures. It looked liked perfect casing results (at least to me). No overlay, good pin set everything. Then the guys says he didn't even use a buffer, just peat moss and verm. What the hell is that about. So is lime really neccessary. If you feel it is please let me know. I'm particularly asking people who have experimented with casings a lot who can tell me what the differences they have seen between straight up verm and peat moss as opposed to something like the 50/50+. C'mon, hook a guy up with tsome info. By the way this web site kicks ass and I would like to thank everyone here who has contributed.

--------------------
Any posts by this user is for information only. At no time has this user attempted to grow mushrooms.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleTCatz
Manic
Re: Is lime necessary? [Re: plaastikbob]
    #530277 - 01/24/02 05:20 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

getting the Ph right is "recomended" highly.

Go to =the Forest Floor, look in cultivation..."Damn Trichoderma!" on Dec. 16th 2nd page
and look for my post, I go by the name of TomCat over there.
Gives you some strong reasons for nailing down the Ph
good luck

--------------------
Flying in a Blue Dream

Invisibleplaastikbob
Stranger

#530283 - 01/24/02 05:26 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks a lot

--------------------
Any posts by this user is for information only. At no time has this user attempted to grow mushrooms.

OfflineNumba9
Veteran tripper
 User Gallery

Loc: State of "Euphoria"
    #530292 - 01/24/02 05:38 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Straight peat is acidic and will up your chances of green mold. I`d go for 3 parts Peat moss... 3 parts verm.... 1 part crushed oyster shell....... or about 15% of the mixture.......ph is just right..... You can find it in most local nurseries. Get the medium or coarser grade instead of the fine..... but the fine will work. When you harvest shrooms, they pluck much easier too without ripping up or disturbing large areas of casing with it. Great flushes too !!!!!!!!

--------------------
Remember..what the Door Mouse said..."Feed your Head".......... Jefferson Airplane

Edited by Numba9 (01/24/02 05:41 PM)

InvisibleTCatz
Manic
    #530391 - 01/24/02 08:01 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Your Welcome......""any posts by this user is for information purposes only""????

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre it is plastikbob

--------------------
Flying in a Blue Dream

Anonymous

#530436 - 01/24/02 09:25 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

It is not neccessary for Psilocybe or Copelandia mushrooms.

If you are gonna use , use a combination of coarse and fine buffering materials, or just fine materials. Don't waste your money on Coarse alone. By the time it works, your casing will be spent!!!! Lime is the best.

All the funnny mushrooms perform well at a broad range of PH. Some long term casings will definetly benefit from the addition of coarse buffering materials. Casings that don't begin to fruit for months.

Trichoderma THRIVES in ACID conditions, but it grows in buffered casing soils. To limit contamination, when using peat as a casing component:
Sift out all twigs, or larger pieces of wood and woody debris.
Sterilize at 15 psi for 45+ minutes, or pasteurize for an hour.
Avoid prolonged exposure to Air, on cool down, or during handling.
Trays, bags, Jars, spoons, forks, your hands, everything should be clean.
Do not let your casing soil hang out for a period of time before using.
Avoid Saturation of the Peat, or excessive humidity in the AIR, 95+%

All of these things will help far more then Buffering your soil. If you do get Trich. learn to identify it quickly, and contain it with Baking soda. You don't have to lose your entire casing to it immediately. You can get several flushes from your casing, if you contain it early. You want to treat it before it starts to spore, worst case scenario, immediately after it shows a VERY SMALL SPOT of GREEN.

Buffering of Casing soils, is required for other mushroom species to fruit successfully, I have not found any Psilocybe or Copelandia to have this limitation, YET.

Buffering with a highly soluble liming product will definetly slow down a Trich. contaminants spread, but it won't prevent it's growth. The Best course of action is always EXCLUSION. If you use this lime directly on Trich. it will kill it, contain it. But when you mist, or circulate air, any spores present, will and do spread.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Oyster Shell, Paul Stamets, Peat, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation