Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
The Mothman Prophecies
    #529312 - 01/23/02 07:32 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

With the movie coming out in two days, someone might as well start this post.

Most of you will love this as it ties in angels, demons, UFOs, MIB, clairvoyance, etc. - basically all of your favorite subjects.

First off, note that this series of events took place 36 years ago. We love to dig up old myths because it is impossible to find out the truth this far removed in time from the occurence. Just like the Roswell incident was dormant for about the same amount of time. Perhaps it takes 4 decades to resurrect a myth as most the details get murky as the people involved have died or moved or forgotten, but there are still a few around to keep the legend alive.

Yes, there were unusual sightings and "strange" events going on in Point Pleasant, WV, but what exactly was the prophecy? Basically, the prophecy said something bad was going to happen sometime. Very farsighted. No description of when this "bad" thing might happen or what "bad" meant. As with any open-ended "prophecy" like that, it was bound to come true.

When a nearby bridge collapsed over a year later killing about 40 people, the Mothman was blamed. The fact that the bridge was in dire need of repair is apparently irrelevant. As to the size of the tragedy, well the bridge rarely received that much traffic at once, so it took the weight of all those cars to cause the structural failure - ooh! - how mysterious.

As to the movie being "based on a true story" well the main character did not really exist. He was a compilation of two people just to start, but hey - close enough.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

Re: The Mothman Prophecies [Re: Swami]
    #529925 - 01/24/02 09:45 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Did you copy that from Ebert and Roeper?
I really want to see this one even though it's getting trashed pretty badly. It's not that I think it's true, that I hope it's true, or even that I'm going to suspend my disbelief and watch it for entertainment value based on the "it could be true" mind-set; I want to see this because somebody believes this is true, and they made a multi-million dollar movie about it. I'm more interested in the human element, what's in these peoples heads... it looks pretty interesting in that regard. That is, if the movie isn't just a sequence of "scary" moments.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: The Mothman Prophecies [Re: Ulysees]
    #529943 - 01/24/02 10:10 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks Ulysees. Thought I wasn't even going to get a nibble on this one.

No, about Ebert & Roeper. I have yet to see a review of the movie. I read the book by John Keel from the library some 5 years ago.

Here is an interesting and true story to show that the Swam can sometimes be a little out there. The author mentioned that while writing the book, he often got very strange telephone calls (nothing about chapstick like the preview). While reading the book, my telephone would ring at all hours of the day. I was new to the area and only family had my new number.

Anyway, when I would pick up the telephone, I would get a strange series of whines, buzzes, clicks, etc.; though nothing digital sounding like a FAX. My voice greeting was remotely erased and in place were more of the sci-fi sounds. Not only that, but my phone would ring funny like bring, bring - pause, bring, bring. Never heard a phone sound that way before or since. It was quite spooky.

When I returned it along with some other UFO books everything returned to normal. What do I make of it? Hell if I know - coincidence I guess. Hard to believe that I pissed the Mothman off just by reading about him.

Rod Serling appears and says, "Picture, if you will a hardened skeptic brought face to face with the unknown in *dun dun dun dun* The Twilight Zone!"

If you like that story, I have some that were much weirder...

--------------------

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

#529952 - 01/24/02 10:26 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Your comments were very similar to Ebert and Roepers banter. They pretty much made a mockery of the film.

Your story is very interesting... I'd rather hear "out there" stories from a skeptic than someone who believes everything on the market. (No offence to anyone, this is a general statement.)

Coincidence is at times a strange phenomenon in itself.

--------------------

OfflineTimeleech
addict
Loc: Norway
    #532304 - 01/26/02 08:19 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I like your story, more, please. I read about the mothman prophecy a few days ago, only briefly noticing this thread thereafter, but I decided to reply today.
I'm going to get the book, and see if strange things happen. Not because I believe in the story, but as an excercise in synchronicity :smile:

--------------------
--
Eternally boggled, flummoxed, bewildered and surprised.
theophagy.org

Anonymous

#533111 - 01/27/02 05:28 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I just saw the trailor for this movie and I don't think I'm going to see it. Just looks like another fear-based x files type plot.

OfflineskaMariaPastora
Utopiate
Loc: MA
Re: The Mothman Prophecies [Re: ]
    #533175 - 01/27/02 06:58 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I saw it and I wasn't too impressed. Its marketed as a scary movie, so it is very fear-based, often times needlessly. Although even though everyone was deathly afraid of them, the aliens were portrayed as benevolent, helpful entities (although without much of a purpose). It was interesting, but I bet the book was much better.

Anonymous

Re: The Mothman Prophecies [Re: skaMariaPastora]
    #533227 - 01/27/02 08:05 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

At least they didn't make the aliens out to be evil beings here to anal probe people

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: The Mothman Prophecies [Re: skaMariaPastora]
    #533528 - 01/28/02 01:47 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

The book was more of a journalistic rather than a sensationalist piece of work. I attempted to be factual and not too speculative.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology