Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
tattling
    #5291194 - 02/12/06 11:22 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Ok you have these rules some make sense like in ODD, others are at best flawed as in P&S(people flame in there all the time in veiled attacks). There are some people who like to run around and hit that tattle tale button just to feel important. I despise this, and recognize that nothign is going to change in this department.

However why dont you get labeled as a tattle tale after say 10-15 times hitting that button in the community sections, where factual information is not at risk.

or perhaps you could just make it plain and clear on any mod edited posts who pushed the button. The annonymity of it is the problem, people should at least have to man up to their tattling.

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
Re: tattling [Re: blaze2]
    #5291235 - 02/12/06 11:50 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

There are some people who like to run around and hit that tattle tale button just to feel important.

How do you come to the conclusion that some people run around and hit the notify mod button? and how do you know that they do it just to feel important?

Quote:

However why dont you get labeled as a tattle tale after say 10-15 times hitting that button in the community sections, where factual information is not at risk.

Mods can't read every post in a forum looking for flames etc, it helps us a lot when people use the button if they think a mod should take a look at it. I don't think there is anything wrong with hitting the notify mod button if you think there is something wrong with a post, that is what that button is for.

Quote:

The annonymity of it is the problem, people should at least have to man up to their tattling.

It really doesn't matter who notified a mod.

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Re: tattling [Re: Annom]
    #5291251 - 02/12/06 11:59 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Quote:

Annom said:
Quote:

There are some people who like to run around and hit that tattle tale button just to feel important.

How do you come to the conclusion that some people run around and hit the notify mod button? and how do you know that they do it just to feel important?

Its human nature to abuse power.

Quote:

Quote:

Mods can't read every post in a forum looking for flames etc, it helps us a lot when people use the button if they think a mod should take a look at it. I don't think there is anything wrong with hitting the notify mod button if you think there is something wrong with a post, that is what that button is for.

I dont tattle I have never hit that button, and it is there for control, and censorship. Of course you enjoy the button, you are Mod.

Quote:

Quote:

The annonymity of it is the problem, people should at least have to man up to their tattling.

It really doesn't matter who notified a mod.

Just because you are of that opinion does not make it so. I would much rather have someone come to me if they have a problem, rather than tattle to a mod, and if someone does tattle I dont see why it should be a problem to let us knwo who did the tattling. After all you think its such a valuble part of the board, why be ashamed?

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5291500 - 02/12/06 01:38 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Mods aren't brainless, I'm sure they're quite capable of deciding whether or not to take disciplinary action based on the content of the post reported. I'm also sure they're able to decide whether or not to discipline someone for using the "report post" function frivolously.

It's not like "OMG, this post has been reported by randomguy420, I MUST HIT TEH BAN!!!11"

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #5291543 - 02/12/06 01:52 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

You do realize that when a mod edits a post, at the bottom, underneath the sig and everything, it says "Edited by OneMoreRobot3021" or whoever?

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Re: tattling [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #5291845 - 02/12/06 03:42 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

yes I do realize this do you realize that is not what I was talking about?  I mean the guy who is the snitch should recognized in some way.  Honestly this is a drug site how many people here like snitches???

Mods arent brainless and do make the descions neither of which im mad about its just the tattling that I dont like.  If someone does it for a good reason liek say the post is a complete and total flame or something and worthless other than its flame value then sure, these dont happen that often however, usually its some little remark mine was I believe something like

"arguing for the sake of arguing again(look kids, my post is obviously cooler than his I use graimlens  :dumblol: :epenis:)" the guy puts smileys all over his posts, its not liek im makign it up.  he especially likes to vaguely insult and follow it up with :rofl2: :lol:  mine is a flame and his isnt?

he had made some smart ass sarcastic response in the post I was responding to.  He just hapened to hit the button, and tattle.  If he was any sort of man he would have tried to work something out, but instead of reaching some rational comprimise he would rather tattle and get the mods to do his dirty work for him. 

I admit I push the rules, but I never tattle when I see others doing the same.  If I actually had a problem with something I would address it to the person, not go to the mods.  I dont care if "thast what they are there for"  the point is no one takes any responsibility. 

And this place calls itself a community...

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #5291849 - 02/12/06 03:46 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I tattle all the time. It makes the mods' jobs easier and gets rid of the idiots who don't follow the rules.

I don't see why it matters to you anyways. As long as you follow the rules, it shouldn't be an issue.

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Re: tattling [Re: Redstorm]
    #5291899 - 02/12/06 04:07 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Yet again I assert that this is a drug website and that it is FOR druggies not goody goody tattle tales.

Ayn rand in the sig, so not surprised.

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

Edited by blaze2 (02/12/06 04:09 PM)

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #5291939 - 02/12/06 04:24 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Rules are rules. If you don't like them, feel free to leave.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #5291949 - 02/12/06 04:29 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Also, I would love you to explain how Ayn Rand has anything to do with the situation at hand.

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#5292079 - 02/12/06 05:20 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

ayn rand is fool, just look at her quote in your sig "I do not grant my love without reason, nor to any chance passer-by who may wish to claim it. I honor men with my love. But honor is a thing to be earned" too many people think like this, and that is what is wrong with our world friend.

People seem to have this idea that you can have a conversation(or a sig quote) and that no one is allowed to make assumptions on their character. "You dont know me! who are you? blah blah blah"THis is crazy why do you put it there if the idea does not fit with who you are? Your interest in Ayn Rand tells me that you are stubbern and think you have all the answers. That you are cold and calculating. That you are sure you are right. That you are self centered, and vain. And lastly that you are uncaring as far as others suffering goes. Not that you dont have some good character traits too, Sinister Joe seems to have a good sense of humor, with your robot dinosaur complete with laser beam eyes, and you might be a leprechaun( from rainbow land) I bet your happy most of the time, and get along well enough with most folks, but your constantly fighing back the urge to tell people off. I bet your wealthy, but not very rich. Youve never had many problems getting where you are now, and cant understand other peoples "problems" doing the same, but most of all I bet your comfortable, and soft.

rules are rules, oh you rule following sheep love your cliches dont you? seriously tho its not about the rules, its about holding people responsible for being snitches. do you call the police everytime you see a person flick a cigarette but out of their car windows? Nope? but....their not following the literring rules.....hmmmm thats weird...

when you click report post, the said reported post should get a little message like teh "edited by so and so" stuff at the bottom that says something like "reported by so-so." If you feel something important enough to report it ot a mod then why should anyone be ashamed to own up to it?

NO ONE LIKES A SNITCH.

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #5292134 - 02/12/06 05:38 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

:bitch:

Sorry, some of us are adults here and like to hold serious conversations (hence the no flaming rules). If you feel you can not control your childish behavior, take it to OTD.

I'm not ashamed of hitting the notify button. I know it helps the mods do their job correctly, so I'm happy to do it. Everytime I see some idiot asking for a hook-up, spamming their products, or flaming in forums other than OTD, I feel it is my duty to notify someone.

InvisibleStonerguy
I smoke penis
Male

Loc: Lost
    #5292148 - 02/12/06 05:43 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I kinda feel like it is my duty to hit the notify button if it is obvious that they are breaking a rule. I am not ashamed of it, if you would like I will post "Moderator notified" when I do it....

--------------------
yawn...
SG

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
    #5292422 - 02/12/06 07:10 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

alright. i gues si can kinda see where this is soming from but ill tell you that ive hit the button a few times less than 10. but every time has been for underage users, which i feel is neccesary for the safety of the site. so the button is somewhat needed and if used correctly has a good purpose for this site.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #5292633 - 02/12/06 08:24 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

blaze2 said:

It is anonymity that this site is based on, if you want to post your drivers
license, social security number and and that 2 major credit cards I'll be
more than happy to post the names of people that 'rat' the others

The job of the mods and admins isnt just to edit post, hand out bans and answer
a few quesions, it is also to protect the users of this site, what would some
of these users see of the mods/admins if we were to run around posting their
name because they 'snitched' on another user, they'd see that they have little
protection, especialy from the interent bully that was reported to begin with.

Quote:

blaze2 said:
Yet again I assert that this is a drug website and that it is FOR druggies not goody goody tattle tales.

yes, it's a drug website, it's for cultivators, not druggies, members of many
communities online and in real life are 'druggies' but I dont see them here
I see people learning to grow mushrooms, exploring their spirituality, trading
news and views and even socializing.... dont these users have the right to
a little respect from the other members? Wouldnt you like the same sort of
respect?

now, that being said, suppose the post in question is asking for a drug hookup,
offering to solicit drugs, threats of violence against another member or any
number of other things that need to be deleted/dealt with, should it still apply
that their name should be posted, I see those as no different than someone
flaming or harassing another member. When someone starts building a history
of flaming others, why would they deserve to have that info, we know that most
would just start it in PM and at that point, we'd just permaban the offending
party

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: tattling [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #5293223 - 02/12/06 11:02 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

blaze2, to save yourself the trouble of asking for recoding the bb system, I think there's a good chance I clicked the button on you once. I vaguely recall it though, not quite sure. Got a link to the post?

If I did it, I had a good reason. I don't derive pleasure from clicking it, but people post god-fucking-awful-stupid things at times. Sometimes, they're such things that I'd rather not see there, such as sources that should be kept secret/are illegal. Or sometimes it's someone even trying to buy or sell chems and other blatently illegal things on the forum. It really does happen.

I can't say I click the button ever in the pub or anything. Tends to be the psychedelic experience, a more newbie/drug related forum. In the pub, it's generally personal issues, which I agree doesn't concern every single person. It isn't something I do often... but when needed. And you know what? Half the time, it doesn't make a difference because it says that someone else has already notified a mod.

But are you really upset with the "snitch" or the rules? If the button was pressed for a reason that isn't important, the post won't get edited, or closed, and nothing would happen. But if it does, why is the "snitch" to blame, and not the mod who agrees completely with the line of reasoning? Is the reason simply that you don't want to get in trouble for bitching out a mod, or something else?

If they didn't want the button there, it wouldn't be there. So, we can deduce that they want it there, and want it to be used as needed. Posting the 'clicker's name on the post would make people not want to click it at all. The mods wouldn't want this. But... perhaps this is your whole motivation?

This whole thing might not apply to you. I click it when people post sources, or dealing related things. Never on flaming (except stemmer back in the day... but someone usually beat me to it :smile: ) unless it's because people are treating the Psy Exp forum like it's the pub (sunshine). The fact is that it seems to be useful to the mods, not an impairment. I hadn't ever recieved a "don't click that button at times like this" message, only "thanks for helping out, it makes our jobs easier". Though one time someone did something questionable in a thread, and we all posted discussing how it might be illegal. Wiccan came into the thread and scolded us for not notifying a moderator immediately. This is when I started clicking it for source related issues, which happens more often than you'd think.

The board isn't an anarchy. Though all OMC boards stem from usenet, which *is* pretty much anarchy. There's a reason why we're not posting there anymore. The problem isn't snitching being the root of all evil. Is it not the rules themselves that are the problem (in cases where it IS a problem)?

For example, would you protect a murderer? Certainly not. Would you turn in a pot dealer? Hell no. Even if he ripped you off, you don't do that. It's all about who's rules you're playing by, and if they're fair. The problem comes with automatic respect for any rule handed to you. If there are shroomery rules I disagree with morally, obviously I'm not going to defend them. But for the majority, I think the ones in place are there for a good reason.

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Re: tattling [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #5294246 - 02/13/06 10:23 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Im not saying the button doesnt have uses you people see black and white, all I said is you should man up to it. If you hit it for a good reason liek say dangerous information/underage, in teh information forums then everyone will know that. If you hit it because you have a personal grudge with someone and just like to point out every minute rule breakage because it boosts your ego, then yea I think everyone would look down on teh freak as they should.

You people are weird you act like "adults"(occasionally), but at the same time you are so far into this little fake online world that you are way out of touch with the actual world. You talk about respect, but I get the feeling that respect to you is just playing by the rules.

"The job of the mods and admins isnt just to edit post, hand out bans and answer
a few quesions, it is also to protect the users of this site, what would some
of these users see of the mods/admins if we were to run around posting their
name because they 'snitched' on another user, they'd see that they have little
protection, especialy from the interent bully that was reported to begin with."

You mods dont need to "protect" anybody. What are you protecting me from WORDS? OOOOHHHH the HOOORRRRRORRRR! You sound like your trying to imitate the fuckin mob. You guys will still have all your own power, but if somone looks to abuse that power as well with that Goddamn button then guess what they are going to lose some reputation, as it should be.

"It is anonymity that this site is based on, if you want to post your drivers
license, social security number and and that 2 major credit cards I'll be
more than happy to post the names of people that 'rat' the others"

Thats quite a big difference. Your just being an ass.

"yes, it's a drug website, it's for cultivators, not druggies, members of many
communities online and in real life are 'druggies' but I dont see them here
I see people learning to grow mushrooms, exploring their spirituality, trading
news and views and even socializing.... dont these users have the right to
a little respect from the other members? Wouldnt you like the same sort of
respect?"

Dude this place is full of druggies, smart ones maybe, but they are still druggies. And respect? sure they have that right, thats why i never push the button.

"now, that being said, suppose the post in question is asking for a drug hookup,
offering to solicit drugs, threats of violence against another member or any
number of other things that need to be deleted/dealt with, should it still apply
that their name should be posted, I see those as no different than someone
flaming or harassing another member. When someone starts building a history
of flaming others, why would they deserve to have that info, we know that most
would just start it in PM and at that point, we'd just permaban the offending
party "

Wow hard to see logic here. Yes I do think you should post the names on all the posts. I would not(and most other people of reason as well) look down on anybody for reporting dangerous behavior, in fact I wouldnt look down on any reportings in the entire psychedelic communtiy part of the site, but the rest is just opinions man all of it, adn if someone who flames is the "internet bully"(god that sounds so dumb), then the snitch is the "INTERNET COWARD". I despise cowards.

Of course you mods like your button and where did I say take it away? it has its uses of course, but like everything else including all your God like Moderating powers, it gets abused by petty cowardly people. Respect is a two way street, tell me why should I respect a snitch?

blaze2

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
    #5294435 - 02/13/06 11:32 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

blaze2 said:
you are so far into this little fake online world that you are way out of touch with the actual world.

pot.kettle.black.

none of this shit matters really...
..isnt there something else you could be wasting your time on?

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Re: tattling [Re: 40oz]
    #5295073 - 02/13/06 02:32 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Man im only here because I lost my car when I got it impounded, the real world kicked my ass, so I'm back on the fake one. I know this, sometimes I get hte feeling some people here make this place their whole life. Pretty silly really. I wonder how many pale white single guys frequent this board?

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: tattling [Re: 40oz]
    #5295081 - 02/13/06 02:34 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

"You mods dont need to "protect" anybody. What are you protecting me from WORDS? "

Again, you're discussing the idea of moderation being wrong or right. You have a problem with authority, it's as simple as that. And again, my comments don't apply when it's simply words at stake. I could care less about flaming. Words are a tool. Suggesting that they're anything less is a bit foolish. An RC site link is an array of characters and possibly numbers and other symbols. The moderation has nothing to do with that, but what it represents.

Either you're focusing on more meaningless flaming, like I suggested before, or you don't see any responsibility in what is posted about for actual serious matters.

And if I feel like admitting anything, as I have in this thread, I'll tell you, as I have with people via PM. If it's someone whining about how he can't get acid or RC's, and would someone please PM him him to "chat", I really don't see why this person needs any information at all. He certainly doesn't deserve it at all. Would it be the end of the world? No, probably not. It's usually a new member with less than 10 posts anyway. But is it a right that everyone should have? No.

The last thing I want is for every pissy little person who has a problem with the rules to direct their frustration at me, instead of the rules I agree with that are actually enforced by the site. I didn't think so many pissy people would exist, but your thread makes a good example.

Are there specific rules that you don't like being enforced, or are you upset with the idea that there are rules in the first place? Maybe you could address them individually?

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

Edited by elgr (02/13/06 02:40 PM)

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

#5295141 - 02/13/06 02:44 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

blaze2 said:
Man im only here because I lost my car when I got it impounded, the real world kicked my ass, so I'm back on the fake one. I know this, sometimes I get hte feeling some people here make this place their whole life. Pretty silly really. I wonder how many pale white single guys frequent this board?

I think that ratio is pretty high for any message board on the net (beyond http://darkblackhusbands.org/forums) Heh. I'm two out of three though.

But are you not the one picking at the rules? If you didn't care how things were run, at least to some degree, you wouldn't even have bothered posting.

--------------------

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#5295420 - 02/13/06 03:36 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

elgr said:
"You mods dont need to "protect" anybody. What are you protecting me from WORDS? "

Again, you're discussing the idea of moderation being wrong or right. You have a problem with authority, it's as simple as that. And again, my comments don't apply when it's simply words at stake. I could care less about flaming. Words are a tool. Suggesting that they're anything less is a bit foolish. An RC site link is an array of characters and possibly numbers and other symbols. The moderation has nothing to do with that, but what it represents.

Either you're focusing on more meaningless flaming, like I suggested before, or you don't see any responsibility in what is posted about for actual serious matters.

And if I feel like admitting anything, as I have in this thread, I'll tell you, as I have with people via PM. If it's someone whining about how he can't get acid or RC's, and would someone please PM him him to "chat", I really don't see why this person needs any information at all. He certainly doesn't deserve it at all. Would it be the end of the world? No, probably not. It's usually a new member with less than 10 posts anyway. But is it a right that everyone should have? No.

The last thing I want is for every pissy little person who has a problem with the rules to direct their frustration at me, instead of the rules I agree with that are actually enforced by the site. I didn't think so many pissy people would exist, but your thread makes a good example.

Are there specific rules that you don't like being enforced, or are you upset with the idea that there are rules in the first place? Maybe you could address them individually?

damn man you just dont understand do you.  I could care less I realize I'm not taking any rules away, or changing how they are enforced.  I just want to be able to say yup that guys a snitch after I get edited or whatever. 

I figured something out reading this post, the problem with this(and any board I imagine) is that you people see EVERYTHING as right/wrong black/white, etc.  And I know why.  Because its all in writing, which is a great tool for recording facts and writing books, but having a conversation is hard.  The voice pitch intonation body language we have to do without all of these.  You cant even understand a pretty simple idea(I think so at least) I dont blame you I blame not writing it out right. 

You assume right away that I think like you do.  I odnt hink the mods are right or wrong, I think they are SEPERATE from the rest of the community.  they do their thing to keep the order, I agree someone has to do it.  However they should not be "protecting" anyone.  Its nto like they get voted in or anything, or that we could kick them out of the mod club if people get pissy about getting recognized as a SNITCH.  Who cares what a snitch thinks?  THey certainly dont care what us "rulebreakers" think. 

If you dont want to "chat" with someone then dont.  You dont have to answer every PM.  Take responsibility for yourself.  Do you answer every phone call you recieve? when you say i dont want pissy people taking it up with me, that just shows me that you dont interact with real people near enough.  And that like the rest of our society(real in this case) are scared of people.  You would call the cops if you were being robbed instead of picking up the baseball bat and hitting the guy.  SHEEP.

I have no qualms with most rules, but at the same time many are judgement calls, I have problems with people who judge anything yes, they tend to get their rocks off to it to tell you the truth. 

If the snitch report was put in effect, im sure there would be more than enough people on here who just plain dont give a shit who would keep you mods busy checking button hits.  I just think I have a right to know who fucks with my shit.  And someone who snitches repeatedly shouldnt have respect, because he is playing his own power game.  I have no respect for those who use power.  Its not like I'm asking for something that would be hard to program either so dont give me that shit.  You mods dont give people enough respect. You act like if we tell you whose snitching then no one will snitch our job will be soooo hard. :frown: booooohooo. 

Thats not how it would happen man.  people are dicks if they get their rocks off to pushing the button they will continue to do so, if they dont like those kinds of people that do push the button, then chances are they already didnt get along well and it will continue, and if it were all in the open there would be ALOT less whining to mods and the like when things are edited/deleted.  The guy could let it out on the snitch, man to man, just like it should be.  chances are the other guy would just ignore it.  the end tell me how that would disrupt/interrupt the normal way of things here.  Peace

blaze2

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

#5295577 - 02/13/06 04:02 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I just don't see why you deserve some special right to know who "snitched" if you're breaking the rules in the first place.

It'd make sense to me to have anyone who clicked the button's name forwarded to the poster if the mod decides to let the post stand. That way you'd get a good idea on who is just going around clicking everything for the fuck of it, not even in the good will of the site.

But why should you have a right to know who caused your thread to get closed a couple minutes to a half hour earlier than it would've if a mod just happened across it in his/her regular checks? When it is a matter of sources being posted, like I've stated a number of times is the reason I click the button generally, 2 minutes to a half hour is what makes the difference. Personally, I don't think that should be discouraged, and that people who help should be anonymous.

If it's a matter of respect, like you seem to think. There's no respect in simply being forwarded a person's name. If you want to encourage people to step up, so be it. But I think it should be a choice. I don't see why you'd want a collection of names of people who aren't even going to bother responding to you, unless you're compiling a hit list. :wink:

--------------------

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#5295837 - 02/13/06 05:05 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

"But why should you have a right to know who caused your thread to get closed a couple minutes to a half hour earlier than it would've if a mod just happened across it in his/her regular checks? When it is a matter of sources being posted, like I've stated a number of times is the reason I click the button generally, 2 minutes to a half hour is what makes the difference. Personally, I don't think that should be discouraged, and that people who help should be anonymous"

who said anything about this being discouraged? there are hardly any of these instances in the community part of the forums, which is what im talking about, not the psychedelic parts. I would never look down on someone who snitches on misinformation. Which I have said numerous times but you keep ignoring. you give people no credit, they can tell the difference man. When its someone using it just so he can feel like he has power, then yea hes a snitch. Thats his personality, and nope cant say I have respect for osmeone who thinks that earns it.

As far as why I should have the right? why not? if it doesnt disturb the community(which it wouldnt, but you wont believe that) and if all it does is allow people to better judge who they are talking to, then why not? its not my right its everyones right. Secret police are never cool. Impersonal enforcement also not cool(a major problem with our judicial system in real life).

"If it's a matter of respect, like you seem to think. There's no respect in simply being forwarded a person's name. If you want to encourage people to step up, so be it. But I think it should be a choice. I don't see why you'd want a collection of names of people who aren't even going to bother responding to you, unless you're compiling a hit list. "

I dont want it forwarded for one I want it on the offending post just like when you edit a post the little subscript should say something like "reported by so and so on (date/time)" EVERYONE should know who snitched. IF you did it for a good reason then no one will care, if you did it because you like to fuck with people/have the power, then your likely to lose some respect in the community(who can argue this is wrong?)

I dont want a collection of names man, if someone was to say ask me not to stick little my harmless little jabs in(which are returned in a much more "rule-following", veiled, cowardly manner, I just tend to talk straight up, I know I know its not common, but its Texan. Find me a place where people have more "respect" for each other than good old texas.), and agree to not reciprocate them I would. Snitching only pisses me off more. I know alot of people think this way as well. If they do snitch then your right I probrobly wouldnt even talk to them, but I would KNOW not to talk to them. peace

blaze2

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

#5296784 - 02/13/06 08:23 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Alright, if you're just speaking of the community forums I'll gracefully step down from the arguement. :smile:

--------------------

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Spiral staircasetechnician
Male

Loc: Ythan's house
    #5296943 - 02/13/06 08:53 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I think hitting the notify mod button should make a little badge appear next to your name for 24 hours.

--------------------
:orly:

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #5296967 - 02/13/06 08:58 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I believe the community forums (especially PAL and the Philosophy forum) need anti-flaming rules. It's hard to hold a serious discussion if some jackass(es) will not act like an adult.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #5298108 - 02/14/06 05:23 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

My problem isn't checking the occasional notify moderator message that I get in my PM box every time someone hits the button where I go investigate. My problem is with the people who hit it 10-20 times a week, for stupid shit. Quit spamming my PM box.

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: tattling [Re: Shroomism]
    #5298784 - 02/14/06 11:12 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

What is "stupid shit"?

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#5299576 - 02/14/06 03:16 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Im curious how the admin/mods feel about my idea.

P.S. happy B-day Redstorm

Edited by blaze2 (02/14/06 03:19 PM)

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #5300206 - 02/14/06 06:01 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks!

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #5300335 - 02/14/06 06:49 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I've hit the button a few times (once by mistake) usually on spammers. I don't mind a bit if they know it was me, as I hate spammers with a passion, particularly on here.

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: tattling [Re: Le_Canard]
    #5300907 - 02/14/06 09:17 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I reported you on account of your beagle.

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #5301637 - 02/15/06 12:17 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

The skull in your avatar frightens and confuses me - I'm telling! :supercrankey:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #5301683 - 02/15/06 12:37 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

stupid shit is when someone hits the notify mod button like 10 times in a day.. on a post or several posts that has no flaming or anything of that sort.

--------------------

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

#5301721 - 02/15/06 12:47 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

blaze2 said:

lol. so now u tryin to kick the fake worlds ass

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: tattling [Re: Shroomism]
    #5301771 - 02/15/06 01:05 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Touche.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #5303306 - 02/15/06 02:06 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

blaze2 said:

If you feel something important enough to report it ot a
mod then why should anyone be ashamed to own up to it? 

NO ONE LIKES  A SNITCH.

Im curious how the admin/mods feel about my idea.

You've in effect answered your own question.  As there are people who look upon others negatively for having "told" on someone else, this could be considered a deterrent for reporting potentially harmful or illegal posts.  Therefore, by keeping the system anonymous, we won't inadvertently discourage someone from reporting a post they find objectionable for fear of being labeled negatively themselves.  This is akin to the same reason the FBI and any other law agency will accept anonymous tips.. so that the person dropping the tip will not face any negative repercussions simply for aiding the enforcement agency in their implementation of policy/law.

It is because things are not always so clear as "right/wrong/black/white" that we don't need to introduce another public variable into the equation which could attract negative response to a user for an action that those dispensing the negativity may not fully understand.  If the disciplined party believes any action taken against them to be in error, they will need to present their case directly to the person responsible for the action against them, not the person who left a tip.

> I just think I have a right to know who fucks with my shit.

Remember that it is not the person reporting your post that "fucks with your shit" -- they have taken no action against you directly, merely suggested a review of your statements.  It is the moderator or admin who decides to take action that is fuckin' with your shit... and if they do edit or remove your post, you will be notified by either an edit line in your post or through our Ban-o-Matic warning system.  Since the user who may have initially reported your post did not make any definitive call to discipline you, there is no reason for you to deal with them directly as they wouldn't have the power to retract the action anyway.

By labeling people who notify moderators about posts "snitches" - the end result would be nothing more than another outlet for negativity. :nonono:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: tattling [Re: geokills]
    #5303319 - 02/15/06 02:09 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Spoken with grace, as usual.

I couldn't agree more with your statement. :thumbup:

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Re: tattling [Re: geokills]
    #5303401 - 02/15/06 02:41 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

who are these dozy mods anyway? :rotfl:

--------------------
buh

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Re: tattling [Re: shirley knott]
    #5303617 - 02/15/06 03:42 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Thats bullshit Geo, yet again you give no credit to anyone. You think anyone who cares about this place would look down on the reporting of misinformation? Nope. They would only give a damn about the petty uses of the button. Your right no one likes a snitch, but most that make that distinction between people admit there are times when its nesecary. And the guy who reports a one line "flame" in a few paragraphs just cause it hurts his feelings is a duche, ESPECIALLY when he gets in his jabs and jokes in, (if not more) just cause hes passive aggressive little coward. THAT IS A SNITCH.

You people are too comfortable with teh way things are.

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#5310572 - 02/17/06 02:00 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

So what every mod/admin just follows Geo like sheep? No offense Geo, got no beef with you, just like to see free speach. peace

blaze2

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #5310776 - 02/17/06 03:04 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

So if someone doesnt agree with you, they must be sheep?

You seem to have alot of derision towards this community and the people in it.  But you've stayed around a long time.  Whats the deal?

Like it or not, you dont have free speEch.  Even less here than in the real world.  Whether you agree with them or not, the rules are in place and are in place for a reason.  Some people here do not like being told what to do.  Thats why we have OTD.  Feel free to say whatever the fuck you want in there.  Nobody cares.

My feeling is, if you have SO many people notifying mods about your post, your probably doing something wrong.  I dont know you, and I dont know what you say, but maybe your just coming across as an asshole all the time?  I dont know.  But if this doesnt happen to everyone else, maybe the problem is on your end.

Anonymity is nice for the community.  If I see "B00M3RZ420" make his very first post asking if anyone will send him mush, I should be able to let someone know without him having the information to annoy me in retaliation.

:peace:

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: tattling [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #5310853 - 02/17/06 03:39 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, there was some idiot on here yesterday... he posted something like:

Wow, you guys are so lucky to have these RC sources. I'd never ask anyone for a source, thats against the rules. But I'm a pretty lonely guy, so if anyone wants to, um, "chat" give me a PM!

That kind of stupidity is what the button is for. Granted, in that case I wouldn't mind having a "YOUR BITCH ASS got notified by ELGR!", but that isn't always the case. :smile:

--------------------

Invisibleabrad84
Stranger
Male

#5310992 - 02/17/06 04:30 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah I saw that one yesterday, and I wasn't sure whether to press notify
or not. I did in the end but someone else had gotthere first.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#5312848 - 02/18/06 07:49 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

blaze2 said:
damn man you just dont understand do you. I just want to be able to say yup that guys a snitch after I get edited or whatever.

I understand completely now... you want someone to retaliate against

Quote:

I odnt hink the mods are right or wrong, I think they are SEPERATE from the rest of the community. they do their thing to keep the order, I agree someone has to do it. However they should not be "protecting" anyone.

why shouldnt we mode be protecting the users here? IRL I've worked as a floor
manager, I regularly had to protect some customers from others, it's a small
part of the job, being a moderator here is similar, suppose someone that has
made a few trades with you decides they suddenly dont like you, the figure it's
cool to post your info, shouldnt we delete that, suppose we got to it through
through the button, should we post the username of the person that was helping
to protect you

Quote:

Its nto like they get voted in or anything, or that we could kick them out of the mod club if people get pissy about getting recognized as a SNITCH. Who cares what a snitch thinks? THey certainly dont care what us "rulebreakers" think.

Mods can be 'voted' out, it's a fact, and your right, no one cares what the
'rule breakers' think, they're trying to disrupt the converstations and fun
of the other users, why should anyone care what they think, is having a post
of your edited such a big deal, is recieving a warning the end all for you?
I'd really hate to see what you do over a real conflict in your life.

Quote:

Take responsibility for yourself.

funny... is that what you're doing now? asking us to give up 'snitches' shows
just the opposite, when 'm arrested, I take responsibility, who cares if I was
ratted out, I did what I did and I got caught because I was careless.

Quote:

And someone who snitches repeatedly shouldnt have respect, because he is playing his own power game. I have no respect for those who use power. You mods dont give people enough respect.

respect is earned, not given, when a post is reported it's becase someone showed
a lack of respect for the community and/or a particular user, did the offending
party earn respect? do you even know what respect is or how it's earned?

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
    #5313100 - 02/18/06 11:24 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

do you think you would never snitch on someone else, blaze2?

--------------------
buh

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#5313606 - 02/18/06 03:00 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

nope I dont snitch shirley. They tried when I got arrested, but I dont play that game.

"why shouldnt we mode be protecting the users here? IRL I've worked as a floor
manager, I regularly had to protect some customers from others, it's a small
part of the job, being a moderator here is similar, suppose someone that has
made a few trades with you decides they suddenly dont like you, the figure it's
cool to post your info, shouldnt we delete that, suppose we got to it through
through the button, should we post the username of the person that was helping
to protect you"

yes you should post it then I could thank him. This is not all about retaliation man, its about being a man. Do you know anything about THAT?

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #5313821 - 02/18/06 04:09 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

This is the internet, not real life. You follow the rules put in place by the administration, and if you break them, you should be punished.

"Being a man" or being exposed as the person who hit the button is worthless, as it would deter people from doing so.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
    #5315711 - 02/19/06 06:36 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

so even in real life, you'd never go to the bosses about someone, or blow a whistle? i bet we can all think of situations where you would in a heartbeat. something bigger than you could cope with, involving a close family member or your finances, for example.

my point is that every rule has an exception, and here on the net, different people have different sensitivities. why embarass people for speaking up? let the mods take a look at the post in question, and decide for themselves.

--------------------
buh

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5315798 - 02/19/06 08:11 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

You can't compare the rules of this site to the laws of a country. You don't have to be here, you don't have to post here, your presence here is entirely volountary. By choosing to post here, you choose to follow the site rules.

If you break the site rules, it doesn't matter who informs the mods - the informant isn't responsible for what is unacceptable here, the site is.

Being a "snitch" is only considered negative if you disagree with the underlying law. I wouldn't snitch on someone who smoked weed or downloaded music illegally, because I don't agree with my local laws on those topics. If someone was a paedophile, I wouldn't feel any guilt "snitching" on them, because I agree with paedophilia being illegal. If someone was a mugger, I wouldn't feel guilty reporting them, because I agree that mugging being illegal.

By posting here, you're implicitly confirming that you agree with the site rules (or else why would you be here?). Why would you feel animosity towards someone for trying to enforce rules you agree with? Why would you want to identify people who try and help with reporting breaches of the rules if they wish to remain anonymous?

By asking for informants to be identified, you are essentially asking the site administration to implement a feature that condemns the site rules, and that makes a statement that helping them to be enforced is a negative activity.

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Male

Re: tattling [Re: OJK]
    #5315930 - 02/19/06 09:34 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

We need an "Anarchy button", or one that says "I don't give a flying fuck".

Then there would be an alternate method for those with massively developed non-snitching morals who would rather not click the little snitch-whistle.

Also, whenever the little snitch-whistle is pressed, it should animate, a loud whistle sound should play , and you should be able to see steam coming from it.

Maybe a little policeman should then come running in from the side of the screen, scurry about the post in question looking at the post line by line with a little magnifying glass.  :laugh:

--------------------

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Re: tattling [Re: Microcosmatrix]
    #5316030 - 02/19/06 10:31 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Microcosmatrix said:
Maybe a little policeman should then come running in from the side of the screen, scurry about the post in question looking at the post line by line with a little magnifying glass.  :laugh:

:thumbup:

--------------------
buh

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Male

#5316114 - 02/19/06 11:05 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Ythan, you think you can code that shit?

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#5316471 - 02/19/06 01:27 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

blaze2 said:
yes you should post it then I could thank him. This is not all about retaliation man, its about being a man. Do you know anything about THAT?

being a man means you dont have to know who ratted you out, it means you dont
whine and cry about being ratted out on a message board, being a man means you
take responsibility for your actions, not trying to find someone else to blame

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

#5316549 - 02/19/06 02:03 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

This thread sucks.  Blaze, get over it.  People are going to narc here, and you're not helping the situation at all.  I for one would be entirely more willing to report a post of yours now just because I've had to see this thread come to the top of the forum for too long now.

This is a non-issue.  The mods/admins are not going to change it so the narc gets identified.  If your feelings were hurt that bad, leave.  Trying to find out who turned you in by saying it would be the manly thing to do is ridiculous.  I'll take the blame if it makes you happy.  I'll take the blame for every notification that happens.  Everytime someone blows the whistle, put big bold letters that say "daimyo narced you".  I'll start it now, I narced on you and I'm going to do it everytime you make an inappropriate post :razz:

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #5316659 - 02/19/06 02:34 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
Well, that was amusing. But I think it's pretty clear we're not gonna implement this narc labelling system - so since the topic has been fairly well exhausted, to the bottom of the barrel it goes!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds