Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDyeGreen
Super Stud
Mushroom KITS
    #5286903 - 02/10/06 06:51 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

First, sorry if this is posted a lot, I tried and search and didn't have too much luck.

Me and my buddy are having one heck of a hard time finding shrooms in Michigan, so we decided to grow our own!

Our local head shop sells the Homestead Mushroom Kit for about $160 bucks, they never seem to tell us how much weight we'll get, but I've heard around 2 ounces WET. Not the best deal, I know.

My question is how easy are these things? We're basically looking for the best kit of all worlds, cheap, EASY (have to do it in a college apartment) and gives us a lot of quality shrooms haha!

Am I correct in thinking that Mushroom kits are the easiest way to grow? Has anyone had experiance with the homestead kit? Or *most importantly* Do you recommend any other kits? The guy in the shop said the grow needs to be kept in about 75-80 degree air, which is a problem living in an apartment... Any good tips?

Thanks SO much for any help!! You're talking to a complete mushroom freshman here haha.

-Dave

Edited by DyeGreen (02/10/06 06:55 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSnaggletooth
Stranger in a Strange Land
Male User Gallery

Loc: blinks stupidly
Re: Mushroom KITS [Re: DyeGreen]
    #5286927 - 02/10/06 06:57 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Stay away from 'kits'....you can do it your self cheaper why make someone else's rich cause you don't want to put in the time and you need to learn along the way.

If you are going to grow one or two times just to check it out then maybe.

Don't' worry about weight, you'll get no where near that and that is if your even successfully.

best bet is to start small, then grow into it  :thumbup:

--------------------

Atheist Chat

Offlinejoker_66599
NOOB / SMALLTIME GROWER
Male User Gallery

Re: Mushroom KITS [Re: Snaggletooth]
    #5287197 - 02/10/06 08:25 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

yeah 12 1/2pt jars for 8 bucks
little bag of verm. for think it was 2-3 bucks
bag of brf for think it was like 5 buck not sure tho.
spores 15 bucks about

i just used 2-2 1/2 bags of verm. and about 1 bag of BRf to make 36 1/2pt jars and 2 shot glasses.

even cheaper if u go with cracked corn or wbs.

thats what i think fuck that 160 for a kit. now remember i am still a noob so don't take my word. but have gotten 12G from 2 cakes so far they are fuiting again right now (4 flush)

Joker

--------------------

?¿
¿?
I don't really grow mushrooms I just act like it to be coo.
?¿
¿?

OfflineDyeGreen
Super Stud
Re: Mushroom KITS [Re: joker_66599]
    #5287311 - 02/10/06 09:07 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

How long does a kit take to grow vs. starting from scratch?
And more importantly, how easy would it be to hide growing them "the hard way" from a room mate who would prolly rather I didnt? (Note, seperate bedrooms, but I can't keep the heat in my apt above 70). It just sounded easier - as far as being in apartment goes - to use the kit, that's mainly why I was thinking along those lines.

Thanks for the info guys! I'm very interested in growing, just unsure about a few things I havent read in FAQ's.

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #5287329 - 02/10/06 09:18 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I wouldn't even try in your situation . It's bad enough trying to hide it from someone , let alone someone who prolly wouldn't appreciate it . Its a felony . If you got caught , chances are your roommate could get in some trouble .

And you already know he might object .  :thumbdown:

If someone , besides myself , where to put me in that position , I might turn em in . I don't need any friends going behind my back , in my own home , it's 1/2 his , getting me in trouble .

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

OfflineDribblesmeer
explorer
Male
Loc: Uranus
Re: Mushroom KITS [Re: HippieChick]
    #5287347 - 02/10/06 09:25 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

you would turn him in......damn thats a little extreme don't you think?

--------------------
Shroomites often have to refrain from the temptation to dose their straight friends, since dosing anyone without their permission is just not considered ethical behavior among psychonauts.

OfflineSnaggletooth
Stranger in a Strange Land
Male User Gallery

Loc: blinks stupidly
Re: Mushroom KITS [Re: Dribblesmeer]
    #5287349 - 02/10/06 09:27 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I don't know, if they did that then there not friends, I am not going to jail because of an idiot

--------------------

Atheist Chat

OfflineDribblesmeer
explorer
Male
Re: Mushroom KITS [Re: Snaggletooth]
    #5287362 - 02/10/06 09:32 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

so you would turn them in. Why not just move? All im sayin is comments like that make you sound like a narc or somethin. you know what i mean?

--------------------
Shroomites often have to refrain from the temptation to dose their straight friends, since dosing anyone without their permission is just not considered ethical behavior among psychonauts.

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #5287451 - 02/10/06 10:00 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Would you want to go to jail for something your buddy was doing in your house behind your back?

Anyway, to answer your question, I'd go with a Double Tub setup. It'll give you alot of shrooms with very little work and without any fancy gadgets.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineDribblesmeer
explorer
Male
Re: Mushroom KITS [Re: FooMan]
    #5287509 - 02/10/06 10:22 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I don't know where u all are from but turnin someone in around uranus is a good way to get shot.

--------------------

OfflineDyeGreen
Super Stud
Re: Mushroom KITS [Re: Dribblesmeer]
    #5287548 - 02/10/06 10:44 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

haha well i havent even asked him if it's OK yet, but he prefers i smoke pot (prolly once every week) in my room, and i can tell that gets on his nerves a little bit.

So lets assume it is OK, can yall help me with a few of the questions I listed? haha.

By the way, if he actually is against it - I wouldn't do it... It's really not worth jail time to me, and I dunno how many of yall are college students, but room mates arn't people to "f" with :smile:

OfflineMycophreek423
Late For TheFuture!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Tenth Kingdom
    #5287734 - 02/11/06 12:41 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

well if you are still willing to risk your nutsack then ,rather than a kit , try to look up pf tek it will prolly be more productive then a kit. and prolly less then 160. there are a lot more productive methods but require more attention to sterile technique.

--------------------
I Thought You Where There , But you Where not. It Mushed Have Been Somthing I Ate.

OfflineKeen_Eyed
Keen_Eyed

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Mushroom KITS [Re: Mycophreek423]
    #5287808 - 02/11/06 01:31 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

just look at the teks avaiable on the shroomery and then decide what is right for you and your conditions. Nobody can tell you what tek to use but your self, study up on teks (How else are you going to learn?), and then make your decision. (You do know how to study right?) but my recomendation is the pf tek. (Cake tek) It is easier for a first timer. Like you.

--------------------
U & I, Well Go Get Keen Eyed!

OfflineDyeGreen
Super Stud
Re: Mushroom KITS [Re: Keen_Eyed]
    #5288589 - 02/11/06 12:44 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Well I've read through a lot of stuff, (like the guy who linked the double tub method) and my major problem is I have no idea what anyone is talking about!

I dont know what a Tek is, I don't know what substrate is, I don't know what a casing layer is, the list goes on and on and on... So now that you truely know what a beginner I am, can I anyone link a complete, ground zero, place to start with maybe that PF Tek? (whatever that is).

My other concern is that after reading a few things, it looks like at some point I need to use cow poo. Is there a way to mask the nasty smells?

InvisibleJaeger
Dreamer
    #5288600 - 02/11/06 12:47 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Start here, you have lots of reading to do.
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/3171

Also, check out the top threads in this forum, like the faq's.

Offlineheadbig
Stranger
Re: Mushroom KITS [Re: Jaeger]
    #5288726 - 02/11/06 01:32 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

mushroom kits make arrogent growers. my friend stole my idea to start growing ( dont realy care about that), but because hes using a kit that does everything itself he now thinks everything im doing is wrong, thinks hes gunna get close to a pound of shrooms (no matter how much i say he isent) and keeps goin on about how he dosent care if i saved over a hundred bucks ( even movre if you count the recharge kits they over charge for too) and gained experience doing it myself.
what im tryin to say is starting from scratch is easyier than it sounds. read the teks, do your homework, work out a plan, and then make a decision. youl feel better about yourself when you grow them yourself.

Offlinexxanxx
Mycophile
 User Gallery

Re: Mushroom KITS [Re: headbig]
    #5288822 - 02/11/06 02:02 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Purple East??

Actually, the Homestead Kit is one of the better ones out there, although INCREDIBLY OVERPRICED.

--------------------
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
-Hunter S. Thompson, RIP

Offlinexxanxx
Mycophile
 User Gallery

Re: Mushroom KITS [Re: xxanxx]
    #5288823 - 02/11/06 02:03 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

^^And you might get 2 ounces wet out of it......not 2 zips dry though...

--------------------
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
-Hunter S. Thompson, RIP

Offlinecaboomers
Stranger
Re: Mushroom KITS [Re: xxanxx]
    #5288895 - 02/11/06 02:29 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

ya, 2 oz wet it lize, 2 fairly large fruits, or 3 average sized ones, about the kit, i will hoever if ur a new jack and just want mush with little work, figure out how to make...acually if u want no work and have money to spend, get the homestead kit, if u wanna little work, figure out how to make ur own spawn, then call up homestead and tell them u want a compost fill, mix the 2 together in a bag with a hole large hole and large bandain covering it and wait, ur golden

OfflineDyeGreen
Super Stud
Re: Mushroom KITS [Re: caboomers]
    #5289024 - 02/11/06 03:20 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah purple east haha... you around GR? GVSU student myself

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck