Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
Extracting Alkaloids From Shrooms
    #528520 - 01/22/02 07:30 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

One time I was surfing the net and I found a method of extracting mushroom alkaloids. If some one were to be inclined to do this, could they use the same method that you would use for extracting DMT? If not what is the prescribed method? I was contemplating how you would do it and I realized that if you used the DMT method you probably wouldn't need to heat up the acidified solution. Anyways if some one would be nice enough to reply I would appreciate it. Of course I only want to know for educational purposes.

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
Re: Extracting Alkaloids From Shrooms [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #528544 - 01/22/02 07:57 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I suppose you could use the same acid/base extraction method for psilocybin alkaloids, but your yeilds will be fairly low and you will likely lose much of the product. Be sure to convert back to salt again though after the base extraction.

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #528558 - 01/22/02 08:19 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

i have never dont that but theres a text on erowid that used methanol, anhydrous alcohol and acetic acid (cant remember concentration now) with various results. methanol was the best, if my memory is right...

Offlineshroom_tex
Stranger
    #528621 - 01/22/02 09:43 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Ethanol will work, methanol will work better, Ether would probably be best. Psilo/cybin/cin both dissolve in all of these readily. Powder some cracker dry shrooms and add twice the volume of chosen solvent, agitate for a couple of hours at room temp, seperate the mushroom material from the solvent (filter) and then set up the solvent in a vacuum distiller, use an aspirator from your sink or a refridgerator compressor plumbed in reverse. This will allow you to seperate the solvent and the good stuff at room temp. encase receiving vesel in ice and pull a vacuum untill solvent starts to boil (DANGER HIGH VACUUM CAN CAUSE IMPLOSION WHICH RAPIDLY FEELS LIKE AN EXPLOSION TO THOSE NEARBY) eventually you will have a clear liquid solvent in the receiving vesel (origionally was milky) and in the origional solvent vessel you should see a slight beige crystaline powder, this is the good stuff. (release vacuum slowly) (DANGERS methanol is poisonous, Ether is very explosive and never drive after drinking the Ethanol)

Edited by shroom_tex (01/22/02 10:43 PM)

OfflineElektrolurch
enthusiast
Loc: Germany
    #528818 - 01/23/02 02:04 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

The DMT extraction works well for the typical alcaloid, i.e. almost not water soluble. Now the problems with mushrooms is that it contains psilocybin and psilocin, one being very well soluble in water and the other almost not.
By applying the DMT extraction you would loose one of them. Both psilocin and psilocybin are good soluble in organic solvents like in ethanol, methanol and acetone, also acidified water solutions (acetic acid). Therefore it turns out to be much more effective to use this ones and if a high degree of purity is wanted, a chromatography is done.

Elektrolurch

--------------------
"For all the time spent in that room
The doll's house, darkness, old perfume
And fairy stories held me high on
Clouds of sunlight floating by.", Pink Floyd '67

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Extracting Alkaloids From Shrooms [Re: Elektrolurch]
    #532132 - 01/26/02 02:35 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

The DMT extraction is an "acid/base" extraction which only works with amines. If an amine is bonded with an acid, such as hcl, then it is water soluable. If a base is used to rip the acid from the amine, then the amine is no longer water soluable.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineMillencolin
journeyman
Re: Extracting Alkaloids From Shrooms [Re: Seuss]
    #533447 - 01/27/02 10:25 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

hmmmm, this seems to have answered a question that i was contemplating. Petroleum ether would probably be better for extraction purposes than MeoH, then maybe an acetone wash to clean off any remaining solvent, or would the acetone possibly damage any of the alkaloids? I think this would be of sufficient purity for almost all intents and purposes. Another question; would it not be more efficient to just extract from the mycellium through say a PDA substrate than the actual mushrooms? Thanks, any responses are greatly appreciated.

--------------------
I saw you today on the number twelve bus,
you were going my way

InvisibleSumGuy
addict

Re: Extracting Alkaloids From Shrooms [Re: Millencolin]
    #533753 - 01/28/02 07:53 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

all you have to do is grind your shrooms to a powder and soak in methanol for a day or two, filter out all yer crap and pour the methanol in a dish and let it naturally evaporate untill all you have left is very mushroomy smelling goo ... yea it'll be a goo not a pure psilo powder but i'd like to see someone extract a pure powder from a small amount of mushrooms ... anyway just make sure the methanol is evaped. all the way and then weigh your final product and do the math on how much you're eating for example if you use 2 oz's of dry mushies and get 9 grams of goo back then eating 4.5 grams of goo will be like eating an oz of dry mushies... it hits you in like 5 minutes on an empty stomach no joke

--------------------
-SumGuy :cool:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags