Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Bush Saved Los Angeles From Terrorist Attack
    #5282841 - 02/09/06 06:22 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Article
BY RON HUTCHESON

WASHINGTON - The plot envisioned a ghastly replay of the attack that brought down the World Trade Center, only this time the terrorists wanted to crash a plane into the tallest building in Los Angeles. The plan unraveled in early 2002 with the arrest of one of the ringleaders, but President Bush provided new details about it Thursday in defending his handling of the war on terrorism.

The timing of his chilling disclosures, four years after the plot was discovered and four months after he first discussed the broad outlines of the scheme, raised suspicion that his remarks were politically motivated. At the very moment that Bush was defending his aggressive approach to terrorism, two of his top advisers were trying to quell a revolt in Congress against his domestic eavesdropping program.

Bowing to bipartisan pressure, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and Gen. Michael Hayden, the deputy director of national intelligence, gave a closed-door briefing on the surveillance program to members of the Senate Intelligence Committee. The warrantless surveillance, which the president authorized without congressional or court approval shortly after the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, targets communications between suspected terrorists overseas and their contacts in the United States.

The session, conducted a day after a similar briefing for members of the House Intelligence Committee, failed to resolve doubts about the program's legality. Committee Democrats and at least one Republican, Sen. Mike DeWine of Ohio, said they wanted more information.

"If they came with the idea that this was going to stop an investigation on the part of the Senate Intelligence Committee, they were wrong," Sen. John "Jay" Rockefeller of West Virginia, the top Democrat on the panel, said after the meeting.

Bush and his advisers said the Los Angeles plot illustrated the need to move swiftly against any suspicious activity.

"It took the combined efforts of several countries to break up this plot," the president told members of the National Guard Association. "By working together, we stopped a catastrophic attack on our homeland."

As described by Bush and Frances Townsend, his top counterterrorism adviser, the plot grew out of early planning for the Sept. 11 attacks, when al-Qaida leaders considered simultaneous assaults on both coasts. They scrapped that idea but quickly began work on an encore attack on the 73-story Library Tower, a gleaming, granite-and-glass edifice now known as the US Bank Tower. (In the 1996 movie "Independence Day," aliens destroy the 1,018-foot-tall building.)

"We now know that in October 2001, Khalid Shaikh Mohammed - the mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks - had already set in motion a plan to have terrorist operatives hijack an airplane using shoe bombs to breach the cockpit door," Bush said.

According to administration officials, Mohammed, fearing that Arab terrorists would generate suspicion, recruited a four-man terrorist cell through Jemaah Islamiyah, an Islamic terrorist group in Indonesia. The four operatives were sent to Afghanistan, where they pledged their loyalty to al-Qaida chief Osama bin Laden in an oath known as a biat.

Townsend said intelligence officials weren't sure whether the meeting occurred shortly before or sometime after the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan, which sent bin Laden into hiding. Also unclear is how close the plotters were to executing their scheme when the cell leader was arrested in an undisclosed country in February 2002. Townsend refused to discuss whether electronic surveillance played any role.

Townsend said all four cell members were currently in custody, but she declined to identify them, to say where they were arrested or to disclose where they are being held. The plotters didn't include Richard Reid, the would-be shoe bomber who was arrested in December 2001 on a flight from Paris to Miami.

Although Reid had been trained in the same bombing technique that the plotters planned to use, intelligence officials don't know whether Reid had any contact with them, Townsend said.

In a conference call with reporters, Townsend took issue with suggestions that the White House had released new details about the plot to help deal with the controversy over domestic eavesdropping. Bush first mentioned the Los Angeles plot in vague terms in a speech last October as one of the administration's successes in the war on terrorism.

"The problem is you can't share these details when you have operational leads," she said. "It takes time."

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Edited by daimyo (02/09/06 06:33 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Bush Saved Los Angeles From Terrorist Attack [Re: daimyo]
    #5283044 - 02/09/06 07:14 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: Bush Saved Los Angeles From Terrorist Attack [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #5283048 - 02/09/06 07:15 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

:rofl:

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #5283055 - 02/09/06 07:16 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I was talking to one of the trainers for SLATT, and he was telling me how many of these types of things are thwarted all the time. I was pretty suprised.

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

#5283130 - 02/09/06 07:34 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

So he saved us, huh? He doesn't even know the name of the fucking building. These people are LYING TO US.

How convenient: Suddenly its safe to release information about this elaborate plot, just as Scooter Libby's crimes are in the process of being exposed, not to mention the whole wiretapping situation.

Maybe its true, but my gut tells me its a complete fabrication, or at least a runaway embellishment packed with lies. I wouldn't put it past them, would you?

Link: Patt Morrison: Bush Renames West Coast's Tallest Building--Oops, Never Mind

Patt Morrison Thu Feb 9, 1:25 PM ET

George Bush revealed in a speech today that a building in downtown Los Angeles was evidently the target of an Al Qaeda plot hatched in 2001. The building he named, "the Liberty Tower in Los Angeles,'' does not exist.

There is, however, a building which matches Bush's description of the ``the tallest building on the West Coast.'' It is the Library Tower, not the Liberty Tower.

The 73-story Library Tower was built after the devastating 1986 arson fire at the downtown Central Library. Its name has changed a couple of times. Right now it's the U.S. Bank building, but that too will probably change one day. So almost everyone just calls it the Library Tower.

The White House issued a correction about the ''Liberty Tower.'' But we in Los Angeles are left to wonder. Was this a simple slip of the tongue? In this White House, is there any such thing? Bush has been using the word ''liberty'' a great deal about other countries, but not so much about this one lately, given that it's usually been coupled with the word ''civil.''

Maybe the president figures Los Angeles needs liberating -- from what, I'm not sure. Gas prices? The Hollywood Foreign Press Association? Maybe the White House thinks a presidential re-christening will make us decide to change the building's name to Liberty Tower, the way the House changed the name of its cafeteria spuds to Freedom Fries. Or does Bush -- even though he's married to a former librarian -- have some aversion to libraries, and the word just couldn't come out?

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Bush Saved Los Angeles From Terrorist Attack [Re: Noviseer]
    #5283136 - 02/09/06 07:37 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Noviseer said:
Maybe its true, but my gut tells me its a complete fabrication, or at least a runaway embellishment packed with lies.  I wouldn't put it past them, would you?

No!  :shocked: Surely not Bush!  :rolleyes:

InvisibleLeft Nut City
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #5283163 - 02/09/06 07:45 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I detect MUCH bullshit.

Bush couldn't save a damn thing, nor could his mindless cronies.

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Re: Bush Saved Los Angeles From Terrorist Attack [Re: Left Nut City]
    #5283193 - 02/09/06 07:50 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

bullshit from the minute i heard it.

funny and indicative the "liberty tower" thing was. from what we've seen so far "liberty" is one of the few words he can say, even though i don't think he knows what it means.

--------------------
"I didnt fight a secret war in nicaragua so you could walk these streets of freedom bad-mouthing lady america in your damn mirrored sunglasses."

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Re: Bush Saved Los Angeles From Terrorist Attack [Re: kilgore_trout]
    #5283290 - 02/09/06 08:17 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

wouldn't it be awesome if afer bush or cheney or gonzales or whoever starts their lies and crap a senator did the (cough) (cough) "BULLSHIT" (cough). i'd do it, and then i'd flash my wang out at them and say "i got osama right here, and osama's been bombin' yo momma"

--------------------
"I didnt fight a secret war in nicaragua so you could walk these streets of freedom bad-mouthing lady america in your damn mirrored sunglasses."

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Bush Saved Los Angeles From Terrorist Attack [Re: kilgore_trout]
    #5283291 - 02/09/06 08:18 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Fascism is sad.

Draconian measures don't really prevent anything from happening..... all this time and money invested in destroying our liberties could be spent towards fixing foreign policy and figuring out just why "terrorists" (are they even a legitimate threat!?) do what they do in the first place is a better move.

This administration is only contributing to the collapse of this nation. Waging shady wars and distancing ourselves from the entire world while striking down almost all sense of freedom this nation has ever known is NOT how you win a war on "terrorism"

It is, however, how you enslave a population into thinking that they are constantly in danger and therefore need to tighten down security, increase frivolous military spending, and forfeit their liberties. There's no need for the war to be real as long as we convince people that it is.

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Edited by leery11 (02/09/06 08:18 PM)

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: Bush Saved Los Angeles From Terrorist Attack [Re: leery11]
    #5283352 - 02/09/06 08:34 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

leery11 said:
This administration is only contributing to the collapse of this nation.

dont think it's only with this one administration, Dubya is here to make the upcoming president look like the Messiah

OfflinePhoshaman
Litteringannnnddddd?
I'm a teapot

Loc: FLAHHHIDAAA Flag
Re: Bush Saved Los Angeles From Terrorist Attack [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #5283452 - 02/09/06 08:52 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

you know i was actually kinda scared this morning

that building and all of the blocks surrounding it were completely off limits to all pedestrians and filled with police/swat/fire trucks/etc

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: Bush Saved Los Angeles From Terrorist Attack [Re: Phoshaman]
    #5283469 - 02/09/06 08:55 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

about 15 years ago they were doing military training in atlanta in the same mannor
rapelling from helicopters and shit... it looked like a war zone in some parts

Invisiblesupercollider
superconducting

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Waxahachie
    #5283644 - 02/09/06 09:28 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Some quick questions:

Have the suspects been formally charged?
Has evidence of their guilt been made public?
Are their constitutional rights being respected while in custody? (Bonus question: Where are they being held? Right, right... undisclosed location.)

It's easy to catch a terrorist when you don't have to prove he's a terrorist.

--------------------
Supercollider? I just met her!

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: Bush Saved Los Angeles From Terrorist Attack [Re: supercollider]
    #5284946 - 02/10/06 08:31 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Noviseer said:
So he saved us, huh? He doesn't even know the name of the fucking building. These people are LYING TO US.

Him saying the wrong name means it's a lie? I'm sure you have a few grammatical errors in your time, were you lying?

Quote:

Noviseer said:
How convenient: Suddenly its safe to release information about this elaborate plot, just as Scooter Libby's crimes are in the process of being exposed, not to mention the whole wiretapping situation.

More evidence that the ones who call the administration stupid are clueless people.

Quote:

Noviseer said:
Maybe its true, but my gut tells me its a complete fabrication, or at least a runaway embellishment packed with lies. I wouldn't put it past them, would you?

Nope.

Quote:

Phoshaman said:
you know i was actually kinda scared this morning

that building and all of the blocks surrounding it were completely off limits to all pedestrians and filled with police/swat/fire trucks/etc

Do you have a time machine? This happened four years ago.

Quote:

supercollider said:
Have the suspects been formally charged?
Has evidence of their guilt been made public?
Are their constitutional rights being respected while in custody? (Bonus question: Where are they being held? Right, right... undisclosed location.)

Don't know any of the answers, you'll have to ask someone involved. I posted the article to add to my list of dissenters I'm collecting for the agency.

--------------------

Offlinemediman0078
Stilllooking.....

Loc: Here, there, EVERYWHERE
    #5284975 - 02/10/06 08:46 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I'm a ex-military "expert marksman" with a nice sniper rifle...

:sniper:

you recruiting? :evil:

--------------------
........someday I'll find it.

Edited by mediman0078 (02/10/06 08:48 AM)

Offlinedrtyfrnk
PresidentialCandidate 2008
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Bush Saved Los Angeles From Terrorist Attack [Re: mediman0078]
    #5285029 - 02/10/06 09:01 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Who does bush think he is?

Jack Bauer?

Only Jack saves Los Angeles from terrorists single handedly!

--------------------
It's Krang, Bitch!  :krang:

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: Bush Saved Los Angeles From Terrorist Attack [Re: Noviseer]
    #5285625 - 02/10/06 12:00 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

bingo.

I think there might be a grain of truth, but that truth is so wrapped up in dishonesty and hype much like WMD/Iraq. All of this is timely PR, really - straight from the strategy books of Rove.

OfflineRebirtha
I really like bread
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: over there
    #5285948 - 02/10/06 01:40 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

You gotta give Bush some break, its like when the administration makes a mistake everybody goes crazy, and when they do right, everybody says its a lie or it out of place and context. Not EVERYTHING is a lie.

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Loc: Cypress Creek
    #5286008 - 02/10/06 01:53 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

As dirtyFrank said.. Very Jack Bauer-ish. :lol:

Also..
I heard he saved the building cuz liek there was oil in it.  He is only after the oil!  He lied!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom