Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
What is the Best Lid Option for Karo Broth Teks?
    #3865008 - 03/03/05 08:53 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

This is something that needs to be addressed. I know agar has a good design but it seems a little too time intense. Tyvek flat out sucks for this for two reasons.
1. If the tyvek gets wet it WILL pull contams through the fabric.
2. The up and down breathing action that can happen when pulling the needle back out the hole can suck in contams. (Tyvek is best used on grain where a needle will only enter it once.)

So far the plastic lid with 2 holes drilled in it seem to work best for me. Once small hole under1/4th inch that is filled with silicon and becomes a resealable area where you can put a needle through it and it seals back on its self. And a 2nd bigger hole that is stuffed with poly fill. Even if the poly fill gets wet with broth it will colonize into one big chunk and seal up the hole. Only bad thing is that the poly fill will have to be replaced on the next use of the lid.

Anyone else

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineVALIS
vast activelivingintelligencesystem
 User Gallery

Loc: neverwhere, az
Re: What is the Best Lid Option for Karo Broth Teks? [Re: tahoe]
    #3865048 - 03/03/05 09:02 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

Sounds promising:

baby bottle

another link

--------------------
Nature is the Technology of the Divine.

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What is the Best Lid Option for Karo Broth Teks? [Re: VALIS]
    #3869272 - 03/04/05 05:45 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

anyone?

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What is the Best Lid Option for Karo Broth Teks? [Re: tahoe]
    #3869352 - 03/04/05 05:57 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

Taking 15 or 20 minutes to build 5 or 6 quart jar liquid culture lids w/rubber tubing isnt exactly what I would call "time intensive".

Worst cause of a LC getting contaminated is wicking through the filter, if it gets WET. A rubber tubing filter, will not allow the polyfil to get WET, because you clamp it off - prior to agitating a jar.

The other slick thing about a double rubber tubing filter is, a syringe fits right in the tubing & you can lay jar on its side to suck out the liquid culture. Remove syringe, spay lysol on the polyfil & re-insert.

--------------------

OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Loc: Parts Unknown
Re: What is the Best Lid Option for Karo Broth Teks? [Re: agar]
    #3869702 - 03/04/05 07:08 PM (19 years, 18 days ago)

I have only been growing a couple months now, but I did liquid on my first and every subsequent grow.  I read what I thought was the simplest method on some forum here and that gentleman said he has never had a contam.  So I thought I would try it.  I am up to 10 jars with no contams.

:smile: All you need is karo, distilled water, 3 pieces of saran wrap, and a lid of your choice with a single hole in it.  Put appropriate amount of karo in bottom of jar.  Heat appropriate amount of water to a rapid boil, shouldn't take 2minutes.  As soon as water is boiling, pour into jar, and grab first piece of saran as soon as possible and put it on jar.  Then put on jar lid.  Then second piece of saran.  Smush those 2 pieces of saran down as good as you can while jar is hot.  Then get last piece of saran and put it on top, which you can rubber band if you want.  When ready to innoc jar, take off only top saran layer, and shoot directly thru the bottom 2.  Replace top saran as soon as possible. 

I started using the new Glad 'Press and Seal' cling wrap and have never turned back.  It is what cling wrap should be imo.  After you have done about 50 jars tho over time, you will have passed the 20 minutes it takes to make the jars like Agar has.  But hey, I'm still new hehe.

--------------------
If you cut off my head, what would I say? Me and my head, or me and my body?

Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

Loc: the Moment
Re: What is the Best Lid Option for Karo Broth Teks? [Re: Underhillmaster]
    #3869894 - 03/04/05 07:59 PM (19 years, 18 days ago)

mine's even easier. take your jar, wrap 2 or maybe even 3 squares/circles of tyvek over your jar filled with distilled water (i used a quart jar). i did this with an unknown (i didn't measure) amount of honey and microwaved it for 6 minutes, cooled in fridge, innoc'd with B+ => liquid culture. bam.

--------------------
"The more I read, the more I meditate; and the more I meditate, the more certain I am that I know nothing." -Voltaire

OfflineAmygdala
Learner

Re: What is the Best Lid Option for Karo Broth Teks? [Re: agar]
    #3874418 - 03/05/05 07:39 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Agar-
I have been unable to locate the rubber tubing which you use, even at medical supply stores. All i have found is latex tubing, which can only withstand 10 psi & 180 degrees F, any tips on where to locate the stuff? Also, with the length of those tubes, how does the syringe reach far enough into the jar to suck the liquid out?

Edit: duuhhh, i guess you already had answered one of my questions and I was too blind to notice it... but why 2 tubes? Is it simply for more air exchange?

--------------------
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Edited by Amygdala (03/05/05 07:42 PM)

Offlineshazoom
Al G. ain't no fun guy
Male

Loc: California Flag
Re: What is the Best Lid Option for Karo Broth Teks? [Re: Amygdala]
    #5281931 - 02/09/06 01:57 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Agar, I'd also like to know what rubber tubing you use?
Please let us know.
Thanx

--------------------
" This hobby teaches us patience, and this community teaches us to share."
~Shazoom

OfflineSnaggletooth
Stranger in a Strange Land
Male User Gallery

Loc: blinks stupidly
Re: What is the Best Lid Option for Karo Broth Teks? [Re: shazoom]
    #5281969 - 02/09/06 02:09 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

You can also use automotive vacuum hose, just make sure that it will handle the heat, it will say on the box.

want to try something new, no idea if it will work but...........

I just have not gave it a go yet, so I don't know...

--------------------

Atheist Chat

Offlinesadi
Stranger
Loc: penntucky
Re: What is the Best Lid Option for Karo Broth Teks? [Re: Snaggletooth]
    #5282826 - 02/09/06 06:20 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

the second tub is stuffed with polyfil. it allows clean air to be sucked into the jar when you're sucking the LC into the syringe (so you dont get a vaccume in the jar)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag