Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecookeman
Live and let live
Male User Gallery

Re: monotub [Re: Green420Thang]
    #6697204 - 03/21/07 09:48 PM (17 years, 12 days ago)

FAE is a major cue for pinning so if you aren't getting that many pins or if it's taking a long time to get any pins you probably need more FAE. Also, if your shrooms are very thin that's a sign of too much CO2 which means you need more FAE. Really you can't have too much FAE but you can dry out the casing if the FAE is low humidity.

--------------------
“Let’s put it this way – to lump psychedelic mushrooms into the same group as methamphetamine is like lumping the Bible into the same group as Mein Kampf.
I mean shit; they’re both books, right?”

Joe Rogan

R.I.P. - "Bones" - One of the greatest people I've ever had the pleasure of getting to know and become friends with.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMyohmy
Stranger

Re: monotub [Re: ohmatic]
    #6697323 - 03/21/07 10:11 PM (17 years, 12 days ago)

How do you Sterilize the tub? My friend tried his hand at casing, and he cleaned the containers. but still got Trich on one.

--------------------
All pictures That i post are stolen from other websites. and everything i say is a lie because i just want people to like me. Even though i don't actually know anything about these subjects.

Offlinecookeman
Live and let live
Male User Gallery

Re: monotub [Re: Myohmy]
    #6698624 - 03/22/07 09:20 AM (17 years, 11 days ago)

Did he get the ph of the casing to the right range? 6.5-8.0? That's how most contamns happen with casing layers. Did he have a good amount of FAE? If he had those two he should no doubt not have a problem for the most part with trich or any other contams of the casing layer.

But to answer your question, a lot of people use a lot of different things to clean. I know that bleach either only kills bacteria and not molds or vice versa. Either way I stopped using it for the most part and generally use rubbing alcohol to clean most things now. You can also use soapy water for most things but I find it a pain because you have to make sure you get all the soap out whereas the rubbing alcohol just evaporates within seconds. Also, just get the regular 70% rubbing alcohol instead of the 91%. The 70% works better because it has more water in it which allows the alcohol to penetrate the contaminates cell walls and kill the cell. Work fast

--------------------
“Let’s put it this way – to lump psychedelic mushrooms into the same group as methamphetamine is like lumping the Bible into the same group as Mein Kampf.

Joe Rogan

R.I.P. - "Bones" - One of the greatest people I've ever had the pleasure of getting to know and become friends with.

OfflineMyohmy
Stranger

#6698769 - 03/22/07 10:30 AM (17 years, 11 days ago)

Ok, i'm having trouble finding a good casing for this type of set up. My friend wants to do this monotub grow and see how it goes. but he only has certain materials. Can anyone help me out and give me a decent Casing Set up and procedure for these materials?

1. Rye Seed
2. Vermiculite
3. Perlite
4. Brown Rice and BRF
5. Quinoa Flour
6. Crushed Oyster shells (Flour)
7. Monotub
8. Peat Moss Potting Soil
9. Syringes

Sorry, i know this is asking alot. but after searching alot, i can't find a very good detailed casing procedure that has these materials. And would rather ask you guys for some help with this, because you know better than i do. Thanks.

--------------------
All pictures That i post are stolen from other websites. and everything i say is a lie because i just want people to like me. Even though i don't actually know anything about these subjects.

OfflineNickster_154371
entheogen enthusiast
Male
Re: monotub [Re: Myohmy]
    #6700115 - 03/22/07 05:48 PM (17 years, 11 days ago)

correct me if im wrong anyone, but with those materials given i would say use 40% peat, 40% verm, and 20% of oyster shells flour and you would be good. granted that you maintain the necessary moisture levels in the casing mix.

-n

Offlinecookeman
Live and let live
Male User Gallery

Re: monotub [Re: Nickster_154371]
    #6700278 - 03/22/07 06:40 PM (17 years, 11 days ago)

that sounds about right. It's impossible to tell you exact amounts because of the differences in ph of different peat moss and vermiculite. Oyster shell flour is somewhat slow at changing the ph, but it'll do the job and keep it where you need it. just make sure it's flour and not grity or chunky at all.

--------------------

Joe Rogan

OfflineMyohmy
Stranger

Re: monotub [Re: cookeman]
    #6700351 - 03/22/07 06:59 PM (17 years, 11 days ago)

Sweet, thanks guys. i will let him know

--------------------

Offlineexagram
Phear the shroom
 User Gallery

Re: monotub [Re: exagram]
    #6705927 - 03/24/07 10:01 AM (17 years, 9 days ago)

Sorry to bring this thread back, but I'm interested as to whether breathable surgical tape or some other such replacement can be used instead of poly-fil to cover 'breathing holes' made in a fruiting chamber.

Not to mention, why could cotton wool not be used instead poly-fil? Couldn't any problems with contamination could be sorted out by dunking the cotton wool in alcoholic cleaner?

--------------------
Raoul Duke: What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole lifestyle that he helped create - a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old-mystic fallacy of the acid culture: the desperate assumption that somebody, or at least some force, is tending the light at the end of the tunnel.

InvisibleSillicybin
Loc: Flag
Re: monotub [Re: exagram]
    #6705990 - 03/24/07 10:41 AM (17 years, 9 days ago)

The reason polyfil is preferred to cotton for gas exchange is that cotton is much too ABSORBENT. If you're wearing socks right now, chances are that they're made of cotton for that specific reason - to absorb the sweat from your feet and move it away from the skin.

Polyfil is almost the opposite. Once it gets wet, it quickly dries back out. This is desirable for two reasons -

1). If nutrients and moisture remain on the filter, contaminants will grow ON the filter, which defeats the whole purpose of the filter.

2). If the filter remains wet, it will restrict (or even completely block) airflow.

Offlineexagram
Phear the shroom
 User Gallery

Re: monotub [Re: Sillicybin]
    #6706507 - 03/24/07 02:05 PM (17 years, 9 days ago)

Ta very much.

--------------------
Raoul Duke: What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole lifestyle that he helped create - a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old-mystic fallacy of the acid culture: the desperate assumption that somebody, or at least some force, is tending the light at the end of the tunnel.

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
    #6706601 - 03/24/07 02:41 PM (17 years, 9 days ago)

okay so i have a 20 gallon monotub which i spawned to coir 12 days ago, which has been kept to incubate in complete darkness ever since.

now the thing is that i am going on vacation this coming wednesday and will be gone for 7 days.

so what i am thinking is to case the tub in the next coming days, preferably the day before i leave, and expose it to fruiting conditions while i am gone.

my question is, will i return in time to harvest? i know there's no way to be precise about this but i would like some advice from other monotub growers who've had more experience with the average duration.

any ideas appreciated. :shineon:

--------------------

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
Re: monotub [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #6707584 - 03/24/07 08:46 PM (17 years, 9 days ago)

bumping because thread left main page.

--------------------

OfflineShroomsbrrr
Frequent visitor
 User Gallery
    #7416210 - 09/16/07 10:52 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I have a quick question about the monotub...in what kind of space should the tub be placed for functionality? I mean, would this have the same effectiveness in a closet or does it need to be in a room with airflow coming through the sides?

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: monotub [Re: Shroomsbrrr]
    #7416276 - 09/16/07 11:12 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomsbrrr said:
I have a quick question about the monotub...in what kind of space should the tub be placed for functionality? I mean, would this have the same effectiveness in a closet or does it need to be in a room with airflow coming through the sides?

Any room with some air flow should do,just leave an oscillating fan in the room put don't point it directly at the mono tub or you may risk drying it out

OfflineDigitalNomad
Neophyte
Male

Re: monotub [Re: Blutjager]
    #7416326 - 09/16/07 11:30 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Oh oh oh! one more question!
When i started i invested in a green house for the smaller casings I did, and for various other plants I own. I was wonderingif I took out a shelf, if it's worth putting a monotub in it?

--------------------
Here's to the first step...

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: no clue
Re: monotub [Re: DigitalNomad]
    #7416449 - 09/16/07 12:08 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

? there is no need

a monotub is it's OWN environment, it doens't need a "Martha" to do anything...

it needs to be put on a shelf, and left alone, come back 2 weeks later and harvest.

peace.

Offlinewutang
fungi
 User Gallery

Re: monotub [Re: Green420Thang]
    #7417144 - 09/16/07 04:45 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

i dont get it, you never opened it again but how did you add the plastic covering to colonize and how'd you add a casing layer?

--------------------
:peyotespectrum:    :sanpedro: :rainbowdrink: :tripping:

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: no clue
Re: monotub [Re: wutang]
    #7417193 - 09/16/07 04:57 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

wutang said:
i dont get it, you never opened it again but how did you add the plastic covering to colonize and how'd you add a casing layer?

i dont add a plastic covering... why would I?

and of course it's opened to add a casing layer.
and to harvest.
that's it.

Offlinewutang
fungi
 User Gallery

Re: monotub [Re: jeetered] * 1
    #7417251 - 09/16/07 05:12 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

k thank you jeet i was a bit confused

--------------------
:peyotespectrum:    :sanpedro: :rainbowdrink: :tripping:

Invisiblelegallyhomeless
mooch
 User Gallery

Loc: EZRA for the Refuge
Re: monotub [Re: wutang]
    #7418955 - 09/17/07 07:13 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I throw my flushs on to my compost pile too. Nothing beats recycling

--------------------
MY TRADE LIST!!!

FULLY AUTOMATIC!! 12-Pot Multi Grow Hydroponic System for Trade.

Download PSX ISOs

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate