Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDribblesmeer
explorer
Male
Loc: Uranus
double tub tek question?
    #5275330 - 02/07/06 09:31 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I was just reading up on the dubtub and I was wondering, does all the humidity come from the spawn medium?  If not where?  If I get my spawn medium from high mountain compost do i still need to do roadkills horse manure tek or Agar's on it?  thanks in advance :grin:

--------------------
Shroomites often have to refrain from the temptation to dose their straight friends, since dosing anyone without their permission is just not considered ethical behavior among psychonauts.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletiny_rabid_birds
Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Loc: estados unidos
Re: double tub tek question? [Re: Dribblesmeer]
    #5275366 - 02/07/06 09:38 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

You're confusing spawn with bulk substrate. Spawn is the fully colonized grain that you add to the compost/poo/straw (bulk substrate), in order to encourage mycelial colonazation of said bulk substrate. Yes, the humidity comes from the bulk substrate. And yes, you pasteurize the compost using either of those pasteurization teks.

--------------------

Offlinedjsage420
aka DJQBNSIS
 User Gallery

Loc: Panhandle
Re: double tub tek question? [Re: tiny_rabid_birds]
    #5275391 - 02/07/06 09:42 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

On a double tub the water in the bottom container is there for temp contol not humidity.
And all of high mountains compost is pre pasturized and ready to use, you may need to add a little water though, give it a squeeze if a few drops comes out then your fine.

--------------------
If you put your head to the grass, you can hear it growing

Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Re: double tub tek question? [Re: djsage420]
    #5275408 - 02/07/06 09:45 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

On a double tub the water in the bottom container is there for temp contol not humidity.

No no no, you're thinking of a Tub-in-Tub incubator. He's talking about a double tub for bulk substrates.

--------------------

OfflineDribblesmeer
explorer
Male
    #5275544 - 02/07/06 10:12 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
You're confusing spawn with bulk substrate. Spawn is the fully colonized grain that you add to the compost/poo/straw (bulk substrate), in order to encourage mycelial colonazation of said bulk substrate.

Now your confusing me ,isn't spawn medium what you put your spawn into?

--------------------
Shroomites often have to refrain from the temptation to dose their straight friends, since dosing anyone without their permission is just not considered ethical behavior among psychonauts.

Offlinegourmetgrower
I'ze the milkmanwhat knocked upyer maw

Loc: The Old West
    #5275575 - 02/07/06 10:20 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

A "medium" is something that you grow on.
A "spawning medium" is a medium you use to produce mycelium intended for innoculating another substrate.
"Spawn" is short for "spawning medium," and should not be confused with what fish do.

Spawn is used to inoculate the bulk substrate, or bulk medium.

--------------------
Howdy, boys! Let's get down to business. I got my colt and my schofield, and they's jist itchin to be broken in.

Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Re: double tub tek question? [Re: gourmetgrower]
    #5275614 - 02/07/06 10:32 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Heh, sorry for confusing you dribble, but gourmet cleared up what I was trying to say. Nevertheless, despite the confusion in vocabulary, your main questions have been answered. Yes, the bulk maintains humidity. And as djsage stated, high mountain compost is pre-pasteurized. It had slipped my mind that all phase 2 compost is pasteurized, as pasteurization takes place during the second phase. Good luck with your grow.

--------------------

OfflineDribblesmeer
explorer
Male
    #5275717 - 02/07/06 11:04 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

quote from the Dubtub tek:
"The next step is to take the materials for your spawn medium. You can use either Roadkill?s horse manure tek or Agar?s. Both work great."

So what he's sain is get the poo ready to mix with the SM?

--------------------

Edited by Dribblesmeer (02/07/06 11:06 PM)

Nocturnal
 User Gallery

#5275746 - 02/07/06 11:12 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Okay.. so here's the deal. If you have phase 2 compost (from high mountain or elsewhere), it is pre-paseurized and ready to use. So you take your fully colonized spawn (whole grain or BRF cakes) and mix it up into your compost at a ratio of 1:5 - that is, 1 part spawn to 5 parts bulk substrate.

--------------------

OfflineDribblesmeer
explorer
Male
    #5275784 - 02/07/06 11:23 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

So would I probably need to add water to compost for it to work properly in this tek, right?  Since there is no perlite to keep the humidity up the actual compost would be keeping it.

Sorry if i'm being a pain in the ass i'm just inquisitive.  :weirdeyes:

--------------------

Edited by Dribblesmeer (02/07/06 11:29 PM)

Nocturnal
 User Gallery

#5275828 - 02/07/06 11:44 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

It's totally fine. You need to ask questions to learn.

Okay, well I have not bought any compost from there before, but my guess is that you will have to add water. What you need to do is just add a little bit of water at a time, stirring often and stopping often to check the moisture content. When you can pick up a handful of it and squeeze, a few drops should come out. Not a solid stream, and you shouldn't have to squeeze super hard. Just a regular firm squeeze should yield a couple of drops.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate