Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemogur
regnartS

Loc: Puget Sound
Liquid culture parameters
    #5274821 - 02/07/06 07:27 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

"I know nothing, I see nothing, and I say nothing!" John Banner [Sgt. Schultz, "Hogan's Heroes"]

What a great man, one who lost his entire family to the Nazi regime. A Jew, he finally was able to spoof the third Reich in the American sitcom, Hogan's Heroes. I salute you, Sargent Schultz.

Since I'm a lot like the sarge, I need to experiment to find out stuff, so here goes. What concentration is best for liquid culture? What sugar is best? And finally, what nutrients are ideal?

I know that 3% Karo and potato juice work quite well. So, with that as a control, here's the experiment. Group one- try various ratios of light Karo syrup. Group two- try various nutrient solutions, with 3% light Karo as a carb base. Group three- try different sugars with a potato nutrient broth as a constant.

Group one: five concentrations of light Karo syrup in well water.

Group two: five types of nutrient broth with a 3% Karo solution. Potato broth is two medium russets boiled for a half hour in 1 liter of water. Broth is strained, settled, and diluted to one liter. Soil broth is just a cup of garden soil, fractionally sterilized, strained through coffee filter, and sediments settled, with supernatant extracted. V8 broth, strained and supernatant extracted. Rye broth, fractionally sterilized, strained and extracted. Bullion is a packet of very low sodium Herb Ox sitting in my cupboard, boiled and extracted.

Group three: Five sources of sugar are diluted to 3% concentration. Dark Karo is from a jar that has been in my cupboard for years. Maple syrup from a plastic gallon jug that my neighbor just gave me, probably a few years old, but unopened until now. Honey is a packet that I just got from my local pub/restaurant. It isn't organic or anything, just honey. Sugar is generic table sucrose. Apple juice is Walmart commercial, with added ascorbic acid (Vitamin C). 30 ml figures to be about 3 grams sucrose, 2 grams fructose, a little glucose, and an unknown amount of sorbitol (probably in the range of .3g).

More boring details and pictures tomorrow.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Liquid culture parameters [Re: mogur]
    #5274856 - 02/07/06 07:38 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

3% solution of 50/50 mix of light dry malt & dry dextrose is my old standby.

--------------------

Offlineshroomsynergy
Fungi Freak
Male

Loc: Andromeda
Re: Liquid culture parameters [Re: agar]
    #5274899 - 02/07/06 07:51 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

i like the honey tek because its simple, and quick, yet i did it in the baby bottle like another tek said. i too like to experiment, and for me the honey worked the quikest. (keep in mind that my environment is hobby, and in no way a government science lab.)

....but i got tiny myc in a little over 2 days, and was able to use my LC in just over a week, were as for me the syrup tek took like 3 days longer (for me).

p.s. AGAR, is that a marble that i see in your LC??? i have never used a marble, just shake the shit out of it. do you recomend a marble???
good luck, and keep us posted.

--------------------

OfflineSnaggletooth
Stranger in a Strange Land
Male User Gallery

Loc: blinks stupidly
    #5274905 - 02/07/06 07:52 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

"I know nothing, I see nothing, and I say nothing!" John Banner [Sgt. Schultz, "Hogan's Heroes"]

What a great man, one who lost his entire family to the Nazi regime. A Jew, he finally was able to spoof the third Reich in the American sitcom, Hogan's Heroes. I salute you, Sargent Schultz.

Weird....I did not know that, wish I did before now it might have gave some insight, but good for him. :thumbup:

Ok very cool, I have waited for you to step your foot out, cool this should be a very interesting thread. Honestly I have near no clue as to the possible out come, but am very interested.

Thanks for sharing  :thumbup:

I think that is a stir bar :wink:

--------------------

Atheist Chat

Offlineshroomsynergy
Fungi Freak
Male

Re: Liquid culture parameters [Re: Snaggletooth]
    #5274941 - 02/07/06 08:01 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

ok, i'm kinda new, so what the hell is a stir bar, and what does one use as a "stirbar"? :justdontknow:

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Liquid culture parameters [Re: shroomsynergy]
    #5274946 - 02/07/06 08:03 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

It is a STIR BAR, used with a stir plate.

--------------------

OfflineHoss
Stranger
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Liquid culture parameters [Re: agar]
    #5274981 - 02/07/06 08:12 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

3%? Damn! I thought it was 4%! LOL!

So that's why my LCs have been performing so crappy!

Offlineshroomsynergy
Fungi Freak
Male

#5275066 - 02/07/06 08:29 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ShrOOmSynEgry said:
ok, i'm kinda new, so what the hell is a stir bar, and what does one use as a "stirbar"? :justdontknow:

--------------------

OfflineSnaggletooth
Male User Gallery

#5275091 - 02/07/06 08:38 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

Atheist Chat

Offlinemogur
regnartS

#5279349 - 02/08/06 09:16 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

This jar is just dirt and well water settled. The 'soil' nutrient is just liquid extracted from the clear part and filtered through coffee filters.

On the left is potato water filtered about eight times, in the middle is the filtered soil extract.

On the left is rye grain broth, in the middle v8 juice extract, and on the right is beef bullion.

Took me forever, but here are all fifteen trials ready to be inoculated.

Will inoc tomorrow evening, I'm pooped. The trial containers are just cheap (but clear) cups, with tyvek siliconed to the rim. I dab a little silicone to cover up any jab holes. I learned that measuring 100ml plus amounts with a 20ml syringe is an exercise in stupidity.

Thanks for the input, guys. Yeah, agar, I know these aren't the ideal ingredients, but I've seen so many different recipes that I thought I would take the time to investigate some common household items. Who knows? My setup is so cheesy, I probably won't get a lot of good info, but gotta try.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #5279537 - 02/08/06 09:46 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

So are you saying those have all been PCed right? If not your way over your head already bro, but it sounds like one hell of an interesting thread anyway! GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineSnaggletooth
Male User Gallery

#5279542 - 02/08/06 09:47 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mogur said: I learned that measuring 100ml plus amounts with a 20ml syringe is an exercise in stupidity.

Ah man I know what you mean..........LOL

--------------------

Atheist Chat

Offlinemogur
regnartS

#5282918 - 02/09/06 06:43 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Noc'd up today. South American CFSR print. 1.5ml per, very heavy spore density.

PC? No. Triple fract. on rye, boil 5 minutes on the rest. Aseptic? No.

Here's the final concentrations-
Top row: 25% potato nutrient all. Sugars from left to right, dark karo, honey, sucrose, maple, apple juice, 3% all.
Middle row: 3% light karo, all. Nutrients from left to right, potato, soil, rye, v8(15%), bullion (all 25%, except v8).
Bottom row: No nutrient added, light karo from left to right, .75%, 1.4%, 3%, 6%, 24%.

Why is the bottom right cup squashed? Cuz I was experimenting with the broth temperatures. Yeah, that's the ticket, experimenting.

Edited by mogur (02/14/06 06:22 PM)

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #5283308 - 02/09/06 08:23 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Triple frac should work but a 5 min. boil especially the soil LC is going to possibly leave you open to contams and you know how difficult they can be to see in LC's. Either way GL have fun we be watching no doubt about that! :thumbup:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinemogur
regnartS

Re: Liquid culture parameters [Re: hyphae]
    #5283624 - 02/09/06 09:24 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I knew there were two that I fracted, but couldn't remember the other one. The soil was triple fractionalized, also. Thanks for reminding me. You know way better than I do, Hyphae, it's just that right now I couldn't get my hands on that many PCable jars, so this may well be just a contam race. I learn from my mistakes, since I pay more attention when I screw up. I should be a genius by now.

Offlinemogur
regnartS

#5300228 - 02/14/06 06:08 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Here's an update-

Here's a problem- :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Green mold in the apple juice/ potato broth cup. And, I have to confess, that it was the last cup processed, I got lazy and didn't even boil it. I really didn't mean to leave that info out of my earlier posts, I simply forgot about that, and obviously didn't do proper note-taking, either.

Only minor fluffies so far, guess I need to heed hyphae's advice, and improve my sterile technique.

Floggings are on Fridays, so I think I'll go get drunk on grog for now.

OfflineSnaggletooth
Male User Gallery

#5300264 - 02/14/06 06:23 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

You have Floggings Fridays.....I liked Caining Saturdays :grin:

--------------------

Atheist Chat

Offlinemogur
regnartS

#5313976 - 02/18/06 05:18 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Ouch!

Well, here's the haps, paps. The first group are various sugars with potato broth added to all of them. We're missing the contaminated apple juice cup. Looks like ring around the bathtub in most of them.

The second group are all light karo with various nutrient broths added. Most look like sawdust has settled out on the bottom of the cups.

The third group are the various concentrations of light karo only, from .75% to 24%, left to right. All are showing good growth, except the 1.5% cup, which is way behind the others. Why, I don't know.

The most interesting one is the 24% concentration cup, which only has a few fluffy flakes, but a half inch jellyfish looking growth. Maybe more like a transparent mushroom shape. This photo isn't very clear, but it's the best I could get of this growth. I'll try again in a few days.

OfflineSnaggletooth
Male User Gallery

#5313993 - 02/18/06 05:24 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Do you have a way that your going to 'test' them :stoned:

--------------------

Atheist Chat

Offlinemogur
regnartS

#5314015 - 02/18/06 05:33 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Rye grain quarts. Gonna give em another week or so. Will only do the cups that look 'right', that is, fluffy stuff. Maybe one jar of the sawdust, just for laughs.

PS [edit]: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that they are incubated at 72F to 75F, which may explain the slow growth.

Edited by mogur (02/18/06 05:37 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale