Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
MUFON
    #527084 - 01/21/02 05:06 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Someone left several recent copies of the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) UFO Journal at my apartment complex library.

Here are a few notes from AUG, SEPT, OCT, 2001:

1. There is a report about an Ice Cream Truck flying outside of a reportee's window complete with music. Draw your own conclusions...

2. A beat-up rectangle hovered over a cow in a barn in Wayne, IN. OK...

3. A more typical report is from a Nevada couple seeing a glowing orange orb. Now how ANYONE seeing an unidentifed light source like this can jump to the ETH (Extra-Terrestrial Hypothesis) is beyond me!

4. Frequent reports state that the light "followed them". This is an illusion. Go out for a walk into the forest on a moonlit night when the moon is below the visual tree line and you will feel as if the moon is following you. Don't take my word for it - try it!

5. One point I brought up before:
Report A: Radar confirmed visual sighting.
Report B: Object did not appear on Radar.
Both observations are used as "proof" of something. Sorry, one cannot have it both ways.

6. Flying Triangle In New Hampshire reported. In the same magazine there is an article stating the the US Air Force indeed has triangular-shaped aircraft that contribute to many "sightings".

7. A book, written by well-known UFO author Karl T. Flock, called "Roswell, Inconvenient Facts and the Will to Believe" was reviewed. Flock, a hard-core UFO proponent agrees with the Air Force (on this particular case) that the Roswell incident was most likely a *drum roll please* Mogul baloon. Surprise!

(On a related note - Not in the MUFON Magazine)
Some alleged pieces of the Roswell debris were sent to Art Bell. The analysis done by an independent lab says this: "As stated in the above analysis, the Fragments' isotopic ratios are not unusual. They are typical of terrestrial values. "

8. This from Tom Deuley, MUFON Corporate Secretary:
"The day of the UFO might be dying.We have become sophisticated enough to quickly cast out the misperceptions of known phenomena and events to keep only the quality sightings,...and there just aren't that many quality sightings recently."

Perhaps there never were, Tom.

It seems that several of those that have dedicated their lives to this fruitless pursuit are starting to feel a little uncomfortable with their choice of "career".

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: MUFON [Re: Swami]
    #527101 - 01/21/02 05:33 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

"The day of the UFO might be dying.We have become sophisticated enough to quickly cast out the misperceptions of known phenomena and events to keep only the quality sightings,...and there just aren't that many quality sightings recently."

Not many quality sightings? I disagree..I think sightings have been increasing significantly.
How about This one with video
or these sightings
or perhaps this one
or this video
or this
or that
or MUFON

Sightings are abundant

Edited by Anonymous (01/21/02 05:35 AM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: MUFON [Re: ]
    #527105 - 01/21/02 05:41 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Please note that that quote was from a UFO proponent, not me. Methinks as he regulary takes reports that he is in a position to know better than either one of us.

--------------------

OfflineTimeleech
addict
Loc: Norway
    #527512 - 01/21/02 07:00 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

You should read on about what Robert Anton Wilson or Terence McKenna have to say about UFO's...

'nuff said, do your own homework :tongue: 

--------------------
--
Eternally boggled, flummoxed, bewildered and surprised.
theophagy.org

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: MUFON [Re: Timeleech]
    #527733 - 01/21/02 11:56 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

You should read on about what Robert Anton Wilson or Terence McKenna have to say about UFO's...
You are making an erroneous assumption. I have read their take, so what?

Perhaps you should read what Robert Anton Wilson has to say about "experts".

--------------------

OfflineTimeleech
addict
    #527967 - 01/22/02 07:47 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Hehe, you got me there. I am sorry, but that didn't come out quite right. Had a bad day yesterday and was just eagerly punishing my keyboard with no thought about those on the other side of it.

We see ufo's all the time, but the cream truck made me laugh. I don't supppose extraterrestrials (er extradimensionals, if that is a word) would fly around in an ice-truck, would they? Or perhaps they are testing the human brain's ability to ignore what, in it's experience, shouldn't be there, as often mentioned in the Discworld series. (meybe we should all read more discworld :laugh:)

I see UO's (unidentified objects) all the time, some of them flying. I have stared at a truck or tracktor only 15m in front of my car, not grasping what I was looking at (completely sober even) before maybe after 5-10 seconds (one time it looked like a gigantic sci-fi robot ala the ones in terminator, another time the lights were the eyes of a gigantic monster). Trees disguise themselves as people, shadows lurk in the corner of my eye, and there are infinetely complex fractal patterns in the grass. My point? UFO's might not be as special or interesting or an external event as some might think at all.

but that's just my (current) opinion of many. Say something smart and I will change my mind :smile:

>I have read their take, so what?
Well, what do you think then? About UFO's *and* their thoughts about them.

--------------------
--
theophagy.org

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: MUFON [Re: Timeleech]
    #528024 - 01/22/02 10:05 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I have seen three "once-in-a-lifetime" bolides (huge, bright meteors) that were absolutely astounding. They all looked completely different, yet fit the explanation; i.e. they travelled at a high rate of speed, noiselessly, in a straight-line and had a glowing tail of a spectrum consistent with the typical metallurgical composition osf such objects. Make no mistake - these had a strong visceral impact and to susceptable minds could be misconstrued as something else due to their rarity and beauty.

Note: for me to have seen 3 means that I am extraordinairliy blessed in this regard or I spend more time than average observing the night sky, yet have never seen a flying saucer.

I saw one truly unidentifed object in daytime. It was white and shaped like the old Gemini capsule. As I watched it it seemed to disintegrate into nothingness. It was moving too fast for a balloon. I was quite puzzled, but never once thought,"Aha! Alien spacecraft."

I saw the FUJI blimp at night which looked as close to a "standard" UFO as anything that I have seen. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out what it was. This object was reported the next day on the internet as a certified UFO.

My summation:

People frequently get all excited about something that that have not seen before and will apply whatever defintion that suits their particular frame of mind even if it is incorrect or make huge leaps of inference to fill in the blanks. People hate to have no explanantion and will make one up, even if it is wrong.

Even UFO buffs will acknowledge these two facts:

1. There have been many hoaxes.

2. Common objects are frequently misidentified.

--------------------

OfflineTimeleech
addict
    #528223 - 01/22/02 02:24 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

There you are then. Wev'e both put into words what I meant with my initial statement. The UFO dispute can go on then, but without me, good bye, have fun :wink:

--------------------
--
theophagy.org

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Terrence McKenna

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology