Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Gypsum, Hot Plate, Lab Glassware, Laminar Flow Hood, Oyster Shell, pH Test Strips, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9  [ show all ]
InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Foo Man's WBS Method * 15
    #5265629 - 02/05/06 12:10 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Edit: Updated version in my journal- CLICK HERE

OK, first off, this method that I am about to explain isn't anything new or revolutionary. This is just the way I prepare my WBS prior to PC'ing. It is basically just steeping your WBS, which is soaking it at near-boiling temperatures. This hydrates the WBS in a fraction of the time it takes for 12,24,48 hour soaks.

Before you start, get your quart jar lids set up with your inoculation holes, Tyvek, polyfil, micropore, SFDs, etc. I'm not getting into detail on that because there are a bunch different ways that you can set up your lids.

The first thing I do is take my quart jars and fill them a little less than half way with my dry WBS:

You want to do this for however many jars you'll be preparing. The WBS I'm using here is Pennington's Brand Finch Seed. This will work with just about ANY brand of WBS.

The next step is to get a pot of water boiling on the stove. You want it at a full rolling boil:

Once it's at a rolling boil, turn off the stove and move the pot to another burner. Then take your quart jars of dry WBS and pour them into the just boiled water:

The reason for moving the pot to another burner is that the one you used to boil the water on is still very hot and I find that I get more bursted grains if I don't do this. With a gas stove you probably wouldn't bother with this step. I am also using a small pot filled only about half way with water. You will need a pot big enough to hold your WBS and water. Remember, the water will rise when you add the seed in! :blush:

Then put the lid on the pot:

The lid should be tight fitting because you want the steam to be held inside as well as possible.

Now you just wait for about 30-60 minutes. You can let it go longer, even all day. The good thing here is that you can leave your house if you want because you're not leaving the stove on or having to keep an eye on the pot for any reason.

Then open the pot:

Pour the pot out into a strainer:

Then rinse the seeds well:

After rinsing, you want the excess water to drain. I myself don't wait a half hour or anything for this step, I just shake the the strainer like a chef does on the cooking shows until I don't see more than a drop or two of water.

Once this is done, load up the jars:

The seeds will have expanded now, so just divide them evenly into however many jars you used. Some brands of WBS may expand more then others depending on the types of seeds used. As you see here, what was once a little less then half full is now a little over half full:

Once they're filled, cap the jars and put foil, coffee filters or whatever else you use to stop water from dripping on your lids and place them in the PC.

I cook the jars for about an hour @ 15-20psi. If your PC maxes out at 15psi cook them for 90 minutes:

Once the time is up, I turn off the stove and leave the PC overnight or until all it cools completely. It's best if you don't open the PC to remove your jars until your work area is ready- SAB/ flow hood and transfer the jars directly into the work area from the PC.

The finished result:

My jars prepared like this always seem to have the perfect moisture content.

So, does it work Foo?

This is 7 days after 3cc multispore inoculation. (Puerto Rican strain).

Edited to add pics of the actual grow, which was a mini doubletub with uncased coir:

Pinning:

Ready to go:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebrianjamez
technofool
 User Gallery

Loc: Luna
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: FooMan]
    #5265642 - 02/05/06 12:14 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Do you tighten the lid on your jars completely before you pc, or after?

--------------------
~plop~

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: brianjamez]
    #5265648 - 02/05/06 12:16 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

You tighten the lids beforehand. Remember, you should have filtered holes with polyfil, Tyvek, micropore, etc that allow steam to escape through the lid.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinebrianjamez
technofool
 User Gallery

Loc: Luna
    #5265666 - 02/05/06 12:24 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I've heard it both ways now. Don't mean to jack your thread but I'm getting back into studying after a hiatus and I've had ridiculous over-moisture promblems with rye where I used to have zero. I'm fuckin up on some step and I haven't been able to zero in on the problem at all. I'm going to try wbs and try again, and again, and again...!!!!

--------------------
~plop~

InvisiblePremedman1
Assistant to the insistent
 User Gallery

Loc: South of Sanity
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: brianjamez] * 1
    #5265879 - 02/05/06 01:52 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Sweet Foo. If they can't follow this toilet-flush simple tek, they need to find a different hobby. :cool::thumbup:

--------------------
Build a man a fire, he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: Premedman1]
    #5266057 - 02/05/06 02:36 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

working with grains is easier then most people think. Your mehtod is great, i prefer the 1/2 hr simmer 1/2 hr drain 1 hr 1/2 PC method meself. Hasn't failed me yet, even my last batch which i kinda fucked up on (not enough water in the pot) turned out just great. Full colonization in 11 days from MS innoc.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: coda] * 1
    #5266115 - 02/05/06 02:49 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I've heard of alot of people skipping the 24h soak with success lately.

I'm definitely gonna try this. I hate starting a batch of WBS soaking and then the next day I'm to busy to be around for the drain and PC or something. I generally end up staying up really late in order to get the PC'ing done. Which is dangerous because I have fallen asleep a few times before while PC'ing. Lucky to have always waken up on time...before the PC was dry or had exploded.

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: Premedman1]
    #5266391 - 02/05/06 03:52 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Premedman1 said:
Sweet Foo. If they can't follow this toilet-flush simple tek, they need to find a different hobby. :cool::thumbup:

Thanks man! Yeah, this is as easy as it gets for WBS. Alright guys, time to get some food for the game! :peace:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineDoctor
Strangled
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5268095 - 02/06/06 01:49 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Nicely written FooManShroom. It's a lot simpler method than i use thanks for sharing.

OfflineDrone
Derka Derka Derka
Male

Loc: Maryland
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: Doctor]
    #5268971 - 02/06/06 12:41 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i might try this. but im wondering about skipping the 24hour soak for endospore germination...

--------------------

InvisibleOmnicracker
Crusted Trolltivator

Loc: Wal-Merica
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: Drone]
    #5269107 - 02/06/06 01:30 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Drone said:
i might try this. but im wondering about skipping the 24hour soak for endospore germination...

from my understanding: that is mainlyu a concern when using rye, not WBS. i guess rye has a much higher endospore count. just by looking at them, you can see why it would be hard to any contam to get into some millet or milo, as opposed to the shape and texture of rye.

--------------------

xxx..Learn Something..xxx

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: Drone] * 1
    #5269139 - 02/06/06 01:39 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I've never had a problem with contams doing this, but some people seem to be contam-prone :smirk:

Do a small test batch. If you have contams, you want to up your PC times. Rye doesn't even have to be soaked, or even simmered if you follow the "simple minds" tek of just putting the rye and water together in your jars and PC'ing.

PC times can vary by your elevation too. I'm at sea level, so my PC times will be less then someone in Denver. Trial and error is the best way to learn IME.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinefungiamongi2
pharmer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5269170 - 02/06/06 01:50 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

so i take it you just leave the sunflower seeds in

--------------------
gonna bring her a kiss, make those blues run

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: fungiamongi2]
    #5269211 - 02/06/06 02:03 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Well the Pennington's Finch Seed doesn't have sunflower seeds, just sunflower "chips". The black seeds that you see in the pics are actually thistle seed.

With regular WBS, most of the sunflower seeds will float to the top during the soak. When I go to pour the pot into the strainer, I'll pour the floaters off to the side, then pour the rest of the seed into the strainer. Other than that, I don't remove the sunflower seeds and they have never been a problem for me. You can take them out if you'd like. It seems to be more preference then neccessity IMO.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinediablovt1125
Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5269292 - 02/06/06 02:32 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I like this very much, I think Ill give it a shot with some extra seed I've got lying around.  Good work FooManShroom  :thumbup:

--------------------
Know yourself, know your substance, and know your source

OfflineDrone
Derka Derka Derka
Male

Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: diablovt1125]
    #5269319 - 02/06/06 02:40 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i think im gonna pick up some finch seed today, thats one thing ill be getting out of this write-up. Last time i used wallmart bird ration and i didnt like it that much. I still havnt decided if im going with this or agar's soak method.

LC is almost ready. gotta decide :smile:

--------------------

OfflineHUBSonDUBS
Male User Gallery

#5269330 - 02/06/06 02:43 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

so your saying you shouldn't even soak the seeds for 12-15hrs just throw them in the bowling water from the seed bag to the water, am i right?

--------------------

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #5269345 - 02/06/06 02:48 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Drone said:
i think im gonna pick up some finch seed today, thats one thing ill be getting out of this write-up. Last time i used wallmart bird ration and i didnt like it that much. I still havnt decided if im going with this or agar's soak method.

LC is almost ready. gotta decide :smile:

I like the finch seed because it's got all the good stuff in it including thistle seed, which is one of the seeds used in SpawnMate that increases flushes because of the time the myc takes to penetrate the seed. As far as which tek to use, I'm a little biased :smirk:, but Agar's tek, along with all of the other great ideas he posts, will definitely work too. I just like the quickness and ease of this method. I ain't got time to wait for soaking! :grin:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: HUBSonDUBS]
    #5269359 - 02/06/06 02:53 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

HUBSonDUBS said:
so your saying you shouldn't even soak the seeds for 12-15hrs just throw them in the bowling water from the seed bag to the water, am i right?

:yesnod:

The seed absorbs water quickly because of the heat and steam. Soaking does saturate the seeds, but I think most people do it because of endospore concerns. Like Coda said earlier, you can just simmer for a half hour with the stove on. I do this because I don't want to have to worry about the stove. It's all too easy to get distracted and forget about the stove being on.

Edit: well, don't just throw the seed in straight from the bag. :smirk: Measure it out like I did, so you aren't wasting seeds.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Edited by FooMan (12/13/07 04:45 AM)

InvisibleAndroctonus
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: L.I.S.
    #5271340 - 02/06/06 10:56 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Does anyone have a link to Agar's WBS tech. I just can't seem to find it. Thanks.

--------------------
The red grass, up to my knees
An aura comes towards me

Someone's changed the formula
Un-chaining another law

The structures, the colors
Uniform chaos is alternating

The nature of things

OfflineOatman2000
-=Outa Space=-
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Planetary Nebula
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: musher_420]
    #5271460 - 02/06/06 11:31 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

musher_420 said:
I generally end up staying up really late in order to get the PC'ing done.  Which is dangerous because I have fallen asleep a few times before while PC'ing.  Lucky to have always waken up on time...before the PC was dry or had exploded.

been there... done that... slept through 3 alarms (not like me)

my biggest mistake to this day just happened Last friday night. I ran out of jars, and decided to fill a myco bag with the rest. (good idea)
well i couldn't find my self healing filter patch bags, so i use'd one i received from a great shroomery member.... that was intended for another use (microwaving)
the bag ended up bursting mid cook, and melted all over. I have burnt rye and some plastic all over my pc. smells like tea? real nasty. i even set the bag on top of some jars, to keep most of the heat out. 

Lesson learned.    :rolleyes:

--------------------
Spawning to COIR
:thumbup:  My Chocolate Recipe
WBS QUART SPAWN JAR PREPERATION
----------------------------

4-PO-DMT; 4-phosphoryloxy-N,N-dimethltryptamine

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: Androctonus] * 1
    #5272342 - 02/07/06 07:37 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Androctonus said:
Does anyone have a link to Agar's WBS tech. I just can't seem to find it. Thanks.

CONGRATULATIONS! You get the award for worst thread jacking of the year!

Tell him what he's won Foo!

A link to Agar's Tek!  :smirk:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleAndroctonus
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: L.I.S.
    #5272367 - 02/07/06 08:07 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks Foo. Next time I'll take it to Cuba.

:pirate:

--------------------
The red grass, up to my knees
An aura comes towards me

Someone's changed the formula
Un-chaining another law

The structures, the colors
Uniform chaos is alternating

The nature of things

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: Androctonus]
    #5272370 - 02/07/06 08:11 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

:lol:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

Loc: Up Over
Trusted Cultivator
    #5272543 - 02/07/06 10:25 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

FooManShroom said:
Quote:

Androctonus said:

CONGRATULATIONS! You get the award for worst thread jacking of the year!

Tell him what he's won Foo!

A link to Agar's Tek!  :smirk:

:rofl:

Nice Bird seed advice FooMan!

Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep *DELETED* [Re: FooMan]
    #5272591 - 02/07/06 10:45 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by srgtm1a

Reason for deletion: .

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: srgtm1a]
    #5272615 - 02/07/06 10:57 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks Srgtm1a! I'm going to post more pics of the actual grow from that same jar. I'm doing a small 12qt double tub spawned to h/poo mixed with coir, verm and oyster shell flour. It seems to be colonizing nicely after only 1 day of incubation:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineDrone
Derka Derka Derka
Male

Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: _OttO_]
    #5273616 - 02/07/06 04:04 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

_OttO_ said:

:rofl:

Nice Bird seed advice FooMan!

:tongue2:

--------------------

Edited by Drone (02/07/06 04:05 PM)

Offlinefungiamongi2
pharmer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5274499 - 02/07/06 08:26 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

so you just leave in the sunflower seeds ?

--------------------

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #5281282 - 02/09/06 12:35 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

fungiamongi2 said:
so you just leave in the sunflower seeds ?

It's best to read an entire thread to avoid asking questions that have already been answered, especially when YOU were the one that already asked this and got an answer. :smirk:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5269170#Post5269170

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinefungiamongi2
pharmer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5281340 - 02/09/06 12:54 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

please pardon my being a highass

--------------------

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #5281674 - 02/09/06 02:44 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

fungiamongi2 said:
please pardon my being a highass

You are excused! I've been there myself :stoned: :grin:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleDIRTYMAN
Jesusdon'tcomethrough thecotton.
Female
Loc: CZ NIGGUH
    #5281714 - 02/09/06 02:57 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Soaking WBS is messy and stinky. Thanks for the advice, keep us posted on yer double tub.

--------------------
I'm racist.                http://k-k-k.com/

OfflineDrone
Derka Derka Derka
Male

Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: DIRTYMAN]
    #5281889 - 02/09/06 03:47 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i just prepared 6 qt jars using this method and the exact same birdseed last night, im gonna inoculate with LC here in a few minutes. I think this method really works best with this particular bird seed. I dont see it working as good with the other bird ration crap I had before.

--------------------

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #5282085 - 02/09/06 04:39 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

It works fine with any other brand WBS. I have done this with the Bird Ration and the Pennington's regular WBS. I'll post pics to prove it on the next go around with the other brands if you don't believe me. :grin:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
    #5282246 - 02/09/06 05:29 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Good job Foo !

Doc
:cool::thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineSolidcell
tolerance++;
Male

Loc: Memphis & 53rd
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: doc34]
    #5282383 - 02/09/06 06:09 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

How will flushs turn out if you don't spawn the WBS to anything and just case it?

That award is as good as mine!

Great write up Foo, bookmarked.

--------------------
Psychedelic Jar Project

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong." -Voltaire

"Everything that I accepted as being true up to now I acquired from the senses or through the senses. However, I have occasionally found that they deceive me, and it is prudent never to trust those who have deceived us, even if only once." -Descartes

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: Solidcell]
    #5282734 - 02/09/06 07:49 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I believe the picture under Doc's post show the results of cased WBS. Spawning to a bulk sub does dramatically increase yields though.

Thanks Doc!

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Edited by FooMan (12/13/07 04:49 AM)

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: Solidcell]
    #5285705 - 02/10/06 02:25 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

How will flushs turn out if you don't spawn the WBS to anything and just case it?

See the pics in my sig?  VVVV

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post4398905

Done the same way-->Straight WBS cased with 100% Coco-Coir.

:cool::thumbup:
Doc

--------------------

OfflineDrone
Derka Derka Derka
Male

#5285995 - 02/10/06 03:51 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

how long Should it be before I expect to see myc growth. Shot up with LC less than 24 hours ago. first time using an LC.

--------------------

Offlinelardnar
Pu Pu Platter
Male

Loc: Behind what appears
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: FooMan] * 1
    #5291493 - 02/12/06 03:36 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

FooManShroom said:
You tighten the lids beforehand. Remember, you should have filtered holes with polyfil, Tyvek, micropore, etc that allow steam to escape through the lid.

I don't agree completely, when just using micropore tape and tightening the jars ive had the tape get deformed and sometimes baloon out because of the steam. This decreases the filtering ability

--------------------
If your soul is sence this life is lost ...

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: lardnar]
    #5291680 - 02/12/06 04:36 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

lardnar said:
Quote:

FooManShroom said:

I don't agree completely, when just using micropore tape and tightening the jars ive had the tape get deformed and sometimes baloon out because of the steam. This decreases the filtering ability

The main point of the thread is the WBS prep, not the way you filter the jar lids. I clearly explained in the original post that I wouldn't get into how you should filter your holes. That part is up to you. Figure out what works for you and do it.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineDrone
Derka Derka Derka
Male

#5292955 - 02/12/06 11:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

well ok.... I shot up my jars prepared this way on thursday night(3days ago) with an LC-5cc each qt jar. The jars exploded with growth. all of the sides i shot down are colonized. All of the bottoms are completely colonized. The myc still looks thin so ill wait a little before I do my shake. I did not shake after inoculation because I didnt want to slow the myc down any.

I will try to get some pictures up tomarrow, but for now I can vouch that this tek rocks  :rockon:

--------------------

Edited by Drone (02/12/06 11:59 PM)

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #5292970 - 02/13/06 12:02 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

:thumbup: Good to hear!

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Invisibleliloldme
( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)つ=D
Other User Gallery

Loc: Zone 8
Trusted Cultivator
    #5333317 - 02/23/06 11:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I had alot of problems when I skipped the soak, 12 hours is fine I think, but took me 2 tries and I got his tek down, main problem I think is making sure you know what the simmered seeds look like, Simmering for 30 minutes means nothing if the seeds aren't done, but if you over do it good luck shaking the jars afterwards...

Offlinecougercruiser
reality is whatyou make it~

Loc: Cali
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: liloldme]
    #5333602 - 02/24/06 12:57 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

:piss: :goatse: :bendoverrover:

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: cougercruiser]
    #5333694 - 02/24/06 01:36 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

cougercruiser said:
:piss: :goatse: :bendoverrover:

:confused:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineFractalXplora
Grainiack
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #5333739 - 02/24/06 01:53 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

cool good tek m8, will give it a go :smile:

havent tryed WBS yet but had good results withthe cracked corn, i like it, less hassle thsan BRF cakes ,easy to get water content right...

--------------------

Offlinedown44
Johnson

Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: FractalXplora]
    #5334417 - 02/24/06 11:34 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

any1 else tried this?

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: down44]
    #5334430 - 02/24/06 11:47 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

down44 said:
any1 else tried this?

Read the whole thread, yes.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: lardnar]
    #5335713 - 02/24/06 08:29 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

lardnar said:
Quote:

FooManShroom said:

With tyvek, or micropore filtering.

I DO NOT tighten jar lids, prior to PC'ing.

I leave then half or 3/4 turn loose.

Then tighten, when I remove them from the PC.

Reason being, if the lids are TIGHT.

Steam develops inside the jars & the only place it has to exit IS.

Through the filter material.

Because the steam comes from moisture in wbs/grain jars.

It can/will carry a small amount of nutrients (from the wbs/grain moisture) - with it.

Meaning, that you can/will SATURATE filters with some nutrients.

Which, can later lead to contaminate spores germinating on the filters, and wicking into the wbs/grain jars. :mad2:

True, also, tight lids will cause micropore tape to bubble outward.

Not a good thing. As, that expands the pores of the tape.

Which DEGRADES it's filtering ability.

For that matter, I don't simmer wbs/grains - either.

To each his own & whatever works for you - does.

--------------------

OfflineOatman2000
-=Outa Space=-
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Planetary Nebula
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: agar]
    #5336030 - 02/24/06 10:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

words of wisdome
:wink:

--------------------
Spawning to COIR
:thumbup:  My Chocolate Recipe
WBS QUART SPAWN JAR PREPERATION
----------------------------

4-PO-DMT; 4-phosphoryloxy-N,N-dimethltryptamine

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

#5342001 - 02/26/06 07:38 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

It can/will carry a small amount of nutrients (from the wbs/grain moisture) - with it.

Which, can later lead to contaminate spores germinating on the filters, and wicking into the wbs/grain jars.

Well, now I know that I'm not the only one who thinks that this can/will happen!
People never look at this as a possibility when their jars contaminate--it's always the print, the syringe, the tek, or their sterility when their jars contaminate. When all along, it could have been something as simple as this.
I'm glad you pointed this out Agar---> Thanks Bro !!

Doc

:cool: :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleDexter_Morgan
Towlie's Mentor
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: higher than you
    #5350011 - 02/28/06 05:37 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Well if you check all my posts, you will see that i havent been here in a while, and have yet to fruit anything. That being said, I am trying this Tek and will report back.

--------------------
Uncleluke, getting his assbeat, then he tries to delete it
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6355469#Post6355469
Tomato-Faced Banez
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5933438#Post5933438
Dexter's Thesaurus
beer = guinness
smoke = vaporize
pubers = reasons to be pro-choice

Offlinedown44
Johnson

Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: Dexter_Morgan]
    #5362243 - 03/03/06 06:53 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

this works awesome tek much props

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: down44]
    #5362458 - 03/03/06 07:54 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'm trying this with rye as we speak right now. I dropped the rye into the steaming water and it took less then 30 minutes to swell up to the size it is after a 12-24 hour soak. I rinsed, drained and I'm now PC'ing. Will report back when I'm done.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #5362479 - 03/03/06 08:01 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Agar, I didn't even think about that one. I do my lids by drilling a 1/4" hole in the center, stuff that with polyfil. I lay a Tyvek disc down on top of the jar, then screw the lid with polyfil down over that. I cover it with coffee filter (Agar suggestion:thumbup:) during PC'ing and inject straight through the polyfil and Tyvek when inoculating. Never had a problem.  :grin:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineDrone
Derka Derka Derka
Male

#5362550 - 03/03/06 08:31 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I just spawned those jars I did with this tek to a Double Tub with straight straw. I was lazy and let the jars sit in the incubator for probly 2 weeks after they were fully colonized. They didnt contam, so you know that its ok to skip soaking and use this tek.

--------------------

Edited by Drone (03/03/06 08:34 PM)

Offlinenuk1m
Dutchman
 User Gallery

#5362931 - 03/03/06 10:49 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Why am I the only person that has incredibly wet jars when using this method? Even if I let the seeds drain for even 30 min, the jars still have a pool of water inside the jar (when tipped). I had to go as far as dry the wbs with a towel to get it to the right moisture level, wtf?

--------------------
Tucked neatly below my belt

OfflineDrone
Derka Derka Derka
Male

Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: nuk1m]
    #5362938 - 03/03/06 10:52 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I dont know, I used the exact same birdseed he used. IF anything it ended up a tad on the dry side. which isnt bad, because it was enough water to fully colonize.

--------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
    #5363773 - 03/04/06 07:32 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

steam comes from evaporation,
water turns from liquid to gas
as per laws of physics.
can someone plz explain how
birdseed evaporates ??
i do not believe the following statement is correct-
Quote:

because the steam comes from moisture in wbs/grain jars.

steam distillation creates ultra-pure water vapor.
any evidence of sugars, starches, carbs being
turned into steam which enters the filter ????

as i am very much a skeptic...
:thumbdown:

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: Hippie3]
    #5363775 - 03/04/06 07:45 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

yes i agree...heat theory 101
Hippie i cant get on your site for some reason??

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: OldSpice] * 1
    #5363851 - 03/04/06 09:47 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You are talking DISTILLATION.

Not quite the same thing - here.

I think you all would agree that various nutrients, sugars, starches, carbohydrates, salts, oils & vitamins are soluble in water.

Given that fact; simply fill a flask 1/2 full of a solution of coffee or dissolved hot chocolate (for instance), tightly cover the mouth of the flask with white filter paper, then place the flask over a source of heat & bring the solution to a rolling boil.

The resulting steam will vaporize some of the solutions soluble content into gas, which is forced through the filter covering the flask. Where it will generally accumulate & stain (discolor) the filter with a visible residue.

In the instance of grain jars (with tight lids, a hole in the lid, tightly covered with filter material), that same process takes place.

Consequently, some nutrients from the solution accumulate on the filter.

--------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#5363870 - 03/04/06 10:06 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

The resulting steam will vaporize some of the solutions soluble content into gas

that's the part i'm having trouble with,
and you did not clarify,
you just repeated.
each substance in a solution will evaporate at its' own unique temperature,
only substances with the exact same point of evaporation as water
would go at the same time.
this is clearly shown by evaporating any alcohol mixture...

one would interpret the phenomenon you mention
as being caused by the physical energy of the boiling itself
propelling minute droplets of liquid coffee, not steam, airborne
and thus some might accumulate on the filter.
and that is why
i use inert silicon adhesive instead
and add needed air via my 'airport' tek
which i believe is on file here...
also if there is no boiling, no excess standing water
in a jar of grain
i do not see how this could occur.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Edited by Hippie3 (03/04/06 10:16 AM)

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: Hippie3] * 1
    #5363940 - 03/04/06 10:53 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

PC'ed jars. :stoned:

Above is an example of what I am talking about.
(Micropore tape on lids, covered with triple coffee filters)

Note the red arrows pointing to stains on the coffee filters.

Those stains correspond to the holes in lids beneath the coffee filters.

They were caused from INSIDE the jar.

Only jars with lids TIGHTER than others formed those stains.

The stains were caused by something in the steam, escaping through the lid hole filters.

What do you suppose that something is?

--------------------

InvisibleDexter_Morgan
Towlie's Mentor
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5364278 - 03/04/06 01:15 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Well as far as this Tek goes, my jars look to me like they have the perfect water content, and i started seeing growth yesterday. Thanks for the tek, hopefully I will end up with fruits for the first time!

--------------------
Tomato-Faced Banez
Dexter's Thesaurus
beer = guinness
smoke = vaporize

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#5364289 - 03/04/06 01:18 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

are the lids metal or plastic ?
if metal
might be some rust.
if not rust then
like i said
Quote:

the phenomenon you mention
... caused by the physical energy of the boiling itself
propelling minute droplets of liquid coffee... airborne

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: Hippie3]
    #5364422 - 03/04/06 02:04 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Hippie3 said:
are the lids metal or plastic ?
if metal
might be some rust.
if not rust then
like i said
Quote:

the phenomenon you mention
... caused by the physical energy of the boiling itself
propelling minute droplets of liquid coffee... airborne

That is STEAM, is it not.

In a beaker, dissolve 10 grams of dry dextrose in 500 ml of water.

Bring the solution to a boil & boil away half the solution away.

Then, air dry the remaining solution, dry.

Weigh what particulates remain.

There be LESS than 10 grams of dextrose remaining.

Some leaves in the steam.

--------------------

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #5364461 - 03/04/06 02:21 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

FooManShroom said:
Before you start, get your quart jar lids set up with your inoculation holes, Tyvek, polyfil, micropore, etc. I'm not getting into detail on that because there are about a thousand different ways that you can set up your lids and I'm sure that no matter which way I explain it, someone will have a better way! :grin:

I knew there was a good reason not to get into detail on that. :lol:

I personally haven't had a problem with my polyfil or Tyvek staining from the steam during PC'ing, or thought to attribute any contam problem to this, but if there is even a remote possibility that this could cause a potential contam problem, I'd play it safe.

I didn't want this thread to go into a lid debate! :smirk:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinej21kickster
Stranger
    #5364483 - 03/04/06 02:31 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

So if i was to use this tech using rye- would and additional water have to be added or would they go from simmer to the jar to the PC and thats it?

Edited by j21kickster (03/04/06 02:32 PM)

OfflineGopal
Strange

#5364517 - 03/04/06 02:48 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Some leaves in the steam

I think that there would be some kind of gas/particulate which is expelled during this process, this is clear by the strong smell of grains when one removes the lid to the PC, obviously something has gotten out of the jars. However, it isn't because its dissolved in the water vapor, its just a gas, or an oil which reaches its boiling point in the process of PCing. The steam that leaves is pure H2O, but in the process the grains also expell gas and oils which cause the effect you're discussing.

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: j21kickster]
    #5365469 - 03/04/06 08:51 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

j21kickster said:
So if i was to use this tech using rye- would and additional water have to be added or would they go from simmer to the jar to the PC and thats it?

I'm still testing out the rye now. So far, I've noticed that you have to drain it longer then the WBS.

They go from simmer to rinse and strain to jar to PC.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinej21kickster
Stranger
    #5365911 - 03/05/06 12:04 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

longer as in 30 minutes longer? I like this idea because it can be hard to measure just the right amount of water to go in the jar, this way kinda takes that guess work out

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: j21kickster]
    #5365950 - 03/05/06 12:26 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, I drained for about 30 minutes, but until I get a jar 100% colonized, I'm not going to say it works yet.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineHighGuy
Stranger

#5397151 - 03/14/06 01:07 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Started my first serious grow about 36 hours ago, using this tek. Knocked up with some LC, already noticeable growth in 3/5 jars. Oh how I  :heart: LC. Loading some more into the PC right now. Awesome tek Foo.

Edited by HighGuy (03/14/06 01:21 AM)

OfflineDaCultivater
Stranger
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: HighGuy]
    #5436967 - 03/24/06 03:57 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

you think you could boil water than put in a bucket/large pot 2/3 the way full of wbs than cover with "whatever" and that way you could do it with alot more wbs than a few jars as long as you have enough pots?

if that doesn't make sence;

fill large bucket/s 1/2-2/3 with wbs
boil water in big pot
dump boiling water into bucket
cover with lid/makeshift lid
boil more water for another bucket if nessissary
repeat
wait 12-24 hours or not but if you feel like soaking this would acomidate as well but still be able to use this basic idea?

do you guys think that could work?

--------------------
as they said in some movie(i don't remember which one);

a belief is a dangerous thing, people will kill over it; instead of believing you need to find your facts and then have an opinionated idea that you are willing to change in light of new evidence

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: DaCultivater]
    #5437425 - 03/24/06 09:36 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

It's the same concept. I don't see why it wouldn't work the same. Straining all that WBS will be a PITA though :grin:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineDaCultivater
Stranger
    #5438833 - 03/24/06 06:12 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

believe me i'v strained over 400 lbs dry worth of wbs in a week b4

and it is a pita lol

i thgink this is what i'm going to do next time cause i have been having alot of trouble with jars drying out (i have never simmerd)

--------------------
as they said in some movie(i don't remember which one);

a belief is a dangerous thing, people will kill over it; instead of believing you need to find your facts and then have an opinionated idea that you are willing to change in light of new evidence

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: DaCultivater]
    #5450906 - 03/28/06 01:16 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

After a nice 1.5h pc...The wbs looks beautiful :smile:

Thanks for the tek. Good stuff.

To easy 8-)

-Gnostic

OfflineRemainRandom50
Do You Need ToKnow Me?
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #5496049 - 04/09/06 11:41 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

cant wait to try this tek out :wink:

--------------------
At times I get consumed by my everyday life and will leave the Shroomery. Yet, every time drugs come falling into my life for fun.....I always think about the Shroomery and then I'm back!

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: RemainRandom50] * 1
    #5496069 - 04/09/06 11:51 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

For some reason, AFTER like 10 mintues from cooling from the PC (still very hot), the kernals somewhat exploded :shocked: and every piece of wbs has a ringlet of water around it =/

I've used them for something else (experiemnt), so hopefully all goes well anyways.

I'm just hoping that you're correct about the Endospores :worried:

Take care man

-Gnostic

InvisibleDexter_Morgan
Towlie's Mentor
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #5638499 - 05/16/06 07:21 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

^^ So did it work for you?

Sorry to drag up an old post, but I said I would report back, and It worked!

I am doing another run right now.

--------------------
Tomato-Faced Banez
Dexter's Thesaurus
beer = guinness
smoke = vaporize

OfflineFungi_x
Firekeeper of OTD
I'm a teapot User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Michigan Flag
    #5639422 - 05/16/06 10:52 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:
Quote:

lardnar said:
Quote:

FooManShroom said:

Which, can later lead to contaminate spores germinating on the filters, and wicking into the wbs/grain jars. :mad2:

is this in the FAQ's?

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: Fungi_x]
    #5734565 - 06/10/06 05:06 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Fungi_x said:
Quote:

agar said:
Quote:

lardnar said:
Quote:

FooManShroom said:

is this in the FAQ's?

No. I've never had the "contam wicking" phenomenon myself. I agree with not tightening the lids completely with micropore tape. It will expand it.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflinePsyCode
Stranger
    #5744752 - 06/13/06 03:42 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Is using the filters really necessary? I really don't want to go out looking for it. Also, my WBS jar got dried within 2 days, the seeds don't even look as wet as they did after taking them out of the PC. Here's what I did differently: I treated the jars like BRF's with 4 inoculation points and only foil to cover. It must be all those holes releasing too much moisture from the jar...or it could be my seeds not containing enough moisture in the first place. I soaked them for 24 hours, steeped them for 50 minutes, isn't that enough??

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: PsyCode]
    #5751060 - 06/14/06 10:31 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

PsyCode said:
Is using the filters really necessary? I really don't want to go out looking for it. Also, my WBS jar got dried within 2 days, the seeds don't even look as wet as they did after taking them out of the PC. Here's what I did differently: I treated the jars like BRF's with 4 inoculation points and only foil to cover. It must be all those holes releasing too much moisture from the jar...or it could be my seeds not containing enough moisture in the first place. I soaked them for 24 hours, steeped them for 50 minutes, isn't that enough??

Try it my way just once with a small amount of WBS to see if it works for you. It always works for me. Your problem was probably incorrect moisture in the first place, not the holes.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinefungus_among_us
PhriendlyMycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #5751182 - 06/14/06 11:02 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks. I've used your tek (with slight alterations to fit my needs of course) and have great success. Five shrooms for you.

--------------------

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: fungus_among_us]
    #5804145 - 06/29/06 07:52 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Just used this for some jars last week.Nice tek Foo.5 shrooms for you

Offlinedavesj1
Stranger

Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: Blutjager]
    #5839102 - 07/09/06 04:58 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Any update on the results with rye FooMan?

OfflineCubenisseur
Mad Props
Male

Loc: Indian Land
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: davesj1]
    #5839969 - 07/09/06 09:05 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

My jars all successfuly colonized...yee haw.

Great tek-ski

Invisibleesdfsfd
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5841071 - 07/10/06 02:30 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i tried this out tonight and the jars just came out of the PC and are looking good. i will inoculate with LC tomorrow after the cool-down and let you know how they turn out.

thanks!

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: davesj1]
    #5873749 - 07/18/06 04:33 PM (14 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

davesj1 said:
Any update on the results with rye FooMan?

Haven't had much success with rye using this method. The 1 time I used this tek for rye, I had too many bursted grains and moisture content was too high. I think it might have worked if I would have drained it better after the steep. The WBS works so good and is so cheap that I don't even bother with the rye at all anymore. I wouldn't rule out using rye with this method, but it would likely need some tweaking.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinejoker_66599
NOOB / SMALLTIME GROWER
Male User Gallery

#5963041 - 08/14/06 05:08 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

i just had my 2nd try with wbs work tried the simering teks but after a few days had nasty goo stuff show up. i then did this

--i didn't make this my self followed some ones tek but forgot whos--

1 put wbs in a bowl get out all the floaters
2 drain/wash them nice and good
3 load in jars 3/4 full
4 add water 2/3's of the way up the wbs
5 PC for 1 hour (well i think i did 75)and let cool in the pc for about 24 hours

(no soaking or simmering)

didn't get any of that goo stuff or extra water.

--------------------

?¿
¿?
I don't really grow mushrooms I just act like it to be coo.
?¿
¿?

Offlinezeegos
Shroomagator
 User Gallery

Loc: bat country
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: joker_66599]
    #6040822 - 09/08/06 11:47 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Well today was the first time iv ever prepaired grain spawn and the first time iv ever used a PC. I used this tek as it cuts a lot of time since i need to do this when the folks arent home. My WBS must have consisted of 1/3 of sunflower seeds which was kind of a pain in the ass so i added more to soak.
The operating pressure of my PC is 11.6 psi so i gave it a good 1.5 hours to sterilize, i guess it was long enough.
Couple of questions though:

(1) Would it be best to let the PC cool overnight before opening and inocculating my jars?

(2) I just used a hole in the lid stuffed with polyfill like on sporeworks. I was wondering if i should maybe cover the lid with kitchen roll to act as a dust filter? I dont have any tyvek or coffee filters handy so its to only option at the mo.

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: zeegos]
    #6040868 - 09/08/06 12:29 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

1) your jars should go into the PC with the rings on loose (this prevents steam from forcing its way through your polyfill during the PC'ing, which can "taint" it with traces of nutrients creating a contam wick.)  let the PC naturally release pressure and cool a little.  take jars out carefully (they're fragile when they're hot and you dont wanna burn yourself), tighten the rings down, give them a shake to distribute the kernels one more time (since the ones on the bottom tend to end up moister than the rest after the PC proces) and return it to the PC.  put the lid back on the PC when you've tightened and shook all of them, and yes let it cool completely, preferably overnight before inoculating.

2) i'm not sure what kitchen roll is... maybe that's some kind of UK term i've not heard of? :wink: if its paper towels, sure a layer or two should work out fine.  if its something like plastic wrap, no.  you dont wanna cover them with anything that will seal them, they need to breathe.  you can also simply take the aluminum foil top you had on the lids when you PC'd, and put that back on (but don't squeeze it on tightly, leave it loosely crumpled so gases can still exchange.)

OfflineFriendlyNeighbor
Good neighbor
    #6040898 - 09/08/06 12:44 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Great Tek! Grains don't look intimidating at all now!

Foo Man you mentioned that you mix the WBS with coir "when not used as spawn." Does the word "Spawn" only apply to the colonized WBS when you decide to take it a step further and inoculate something else- maybe a Bulk tek?

If you don't go bulk, you can just mix in coir, pour in pan, top with casing of your choice, cover, colonize and fruit that way right? Just trying to get my facts straight.

Just making sure I fully understand vocab and process.

Edited by FriendlyNeighbor (09/08/06 12:55 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: FriendlyNeighbor]
    #6041052 - 09/08/06 01:26 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Spawn(noun) means the colonized grains, or when used to spawn(verb) it means to take the colonized grains and mix with a bulk substrate, such as coir, straw or manure.

I agree the terms can get confusing. They are often misused, which further complicates things.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinezeegos
Shroomagator
 User Gallery

Loc: bat country
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: creamcorn]
    #6041119 - 09/08/06 01:47 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Well i just used quart jars which contaived olives so i hope these are ok.
And yes, kitchen roll i guess is aka paper towels like 'bounty', the super absorbant and durable wipes that no ordinary brands can compete with  :grin:
I hope i can shake these up alright because i filled them almost to the top since i wont be shaking them during colonisation (using these for pan cyans)

OfflineFriendlyNeighbor
Good neighbor
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: zeegos]
    #6042314 - 09/08/06 09:30 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I just got a PC but it doesn't come with a pressure gauge reading on the lid. After sterilization is complete, how long does it usually take for pressure to drop back down to zero? I need to know this so that I may remove the lid safely to shake up my jars without blowing my head off from openning an active PC.

Invisiblemonstermitch
Growing in Bags Doesn't Work

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Arizona Bay Flag
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: FriendlyNeighbor]
    #6042436 - 09/08/06 10:30 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

about an hour or so.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: monstermitch]
    #6042514 - 09/08/06 11:11 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

If you prepare the grains properly, there is no reason to remove hot jars to shake. You should be able to let the PC cool overnight to room temperature, then have the grains completely loose in the jar with no shaking. Just turning a jar upside down should be enough to separate the kernels.

If not, you need to rinse the grains before preparing, and add gypsum when placing in the jars. Make sure the grains are dry on the outside(surface) when you load your jars.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineghostofbmarley
booyakasha
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: author's mind
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6043572 - 09/09/06 09:58 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

FMS WBS TEK---:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

It's gold, Jerry...Gold!

Is this in the permanent archive yet?  If not here is a recommendation for it.  This just works.  Period.

-ghost

--------------------
~OM MANI PADME HUM~

OfflineTheBadGuy
Stranger
Re: Foo Man's WBS Method [Re: FooMan]
    #6761305 - 04/08/07 03:44 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

for this method did you use an incubaotr? if so what kind?

Offlinedown44
Johnson

Re: Foo Man's WBS Method [Re: TheBadGuy]
    #6958283 - 05/23/07 09:35 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

best tek ever, can't recommend it enough definite archive material thanks again foo man

Offlineluca1899
Stranger
    #9927609 - 03/07/09 12:48 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

want to try your wbs simmer tek because i do not have enough time to soak the wbs today. i wanted to soak because of endospore worries.
i started soaking the wbs in hopes that my research would tell me it was ok to soak it less than 12 hours (maybe 10 hours i will ahve time for), but instead  fund your tek!
if i soak it for 10 hours, will there be anything different about the steeping? should i steep for less time because the seed is already on its way to saturaton and might burst?
thank you

OfflineCarolinaShroomer
Newbie Shroomer
Male

Loc: SC
Question [Re: Androctonus]
    #10082835 - 03/31/09 09:18 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I have the WBS and Jars and all that can you use spore swab(cotton swab)shaken in the jars? its the only spores I have left of my Amazons....

--------------------
I am the Magic Man, and the Santa Claus of your Subconscious......

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Question [Re: CarolinaShroomer]
    #10082886 - 03/31/09 09:26 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Making agar plates or syringes is your best bet. You should start a new thread for a question like this.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineCarolinaShroomer
Newbie Shroomer
Male

Loc: SC
Re: Question [Re: FooMan]
    #10086993 - 04/01/09 02:41 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks FooMan I only made one syringe and lost it on 8 jars of BRF. I will start a new thread, posing this question, Thanks again.

--------------------
I am the Magic Man, and the Santa Claus of your Subconscious......

Offlinedown44
Johnson

Re: Question [Re: CarolinaShroomer]
    #10543531 - 06/20/09 06:06 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, im doing this tek, just found out im not going to have time to pc tonight but the wbs is already in the pot with  the water is it going to be ok to leave the wbs soak in the water overnight? and pc tommorrow

Offlinedown44
Johnson

Re: Question [Re: down44]
    #10545192 - 06/21/09 01:42 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

any help?

InvisibleViruk
Stranger
    #15583812 - 12/28/11 06:38 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

My results using WBS with cracked corn.
Removed boiling water from burner, added WBS with cracked corn. After 1 hour the cracked corn had all started turning to mush.
PC'ing yieled jars with clumps of WBS that were like rock.

If you have cracked corn in your birdseed, this probably won't work for you.

I'm going to try out 30 mins soaking, and maybe 45, with the cracked corn WBS I currently have. Then I'll get some real WBS and try this out again for real. It's very fast and I want it to work.

**edit** 30 mins of soaking, and it came out the PC a little sticky, but you could break it up easy enough, and it looks like it will work great.
20-25 minutes probably would have been better for WBS with cracked corn. Definitely not an hour, that's just bad advice for any WBS, and had I left it to cool down, I'd have a pot full of paste.

Quick method otherwise, thanks foo man.

Edited by Viruk (12/29/11 06:21 PM)

Offlinesprite
Stranger
    #17963157 - 03/16/13 04:27 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

After their is colonization, do you pour the wbs mix in a tub? I am confused on if it sticks together like the BRF cakes did. It wouldn't fit out. The foil in your pictures is whats throwing me off. I saw the foil with the BRF but with the WBS method I don't get that park.
Thanks in advance!

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Foo Man's WBS Method [Re: sprite]
    #17963200 - 03/16/13 04:51 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, you shake up and separate every grain, then mix it in with your bulk substrate material in a monotub, trays, etc.

The foil is just to stop moisture from getting on the lids during sterilization.

After sterilization the foil comes off.

--------------------

THIS HOBBY IS NOT FOR THE IMPATIENT! PLEASE BE PATIENT, DON'T BE A PATIENT!
A Tale of 10 Isolates, GT Cluster Clone Monotubs, RR's Let's Grow Mushrooms DVD,
SGFC(Shotgun Fruiting Chamber), Monotub Tek, Damion5050's Coir Tek, TL's Tek List, Frank's Tek List,
EvilMushroom666's Pasteurization Tek, How It Should & Shouldn't Look - NEW CULTIVATORS GUIDE
  ^*~.,,.~*^*~.,_,.~*^*~.,_SHIT FOR NOOBS_,.~*^*~.,_,.~*^*~.,_,.~* 

OfflineDr.Mind_BendEr
Mad Scientist

Loc: The Farm
    #18326912 - 05/27/13 09:55 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

bookmark

--------------------

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Foo Man's WBS Method [Re: Dr.Mind_BendEr]
    #18326931 - 05/27/13 10:02 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Holy hell, I didn't realize this thread was still floating around. I have an updated version in my journal with minor tweaks. You definitely want to avoid cracked corn regardless of your WBS prep method.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineDr.Mind_BendEr
Mad Scientist

Loc: The Farm
    #18326974 - 05/27/13 10:18 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Can you use this same tek on Rye Grain?

Im doing WBS now, and with the amount of WBS im using simmering/boiling is out of the question, I know enough about seed through my profession to know that boiling it for 60sec isn't really doing shit compared to a 9 hour soak ( hydration wise) and any endospores left at this point WILL be killed by pressure cooking...

--------------------

Invisibleb plus
poppin' veils

#18327003 - 05/27/13 10:31 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

What cube strain is that at posted at the bottom of your tek? I love the slender stalks and large dome caps.

Edit: :facepalm: Posted at bottom of your tek..

--------------------
:mushroom2:-Reishi Grow-:mushroom2:
:mushroom2:-Grey Oyster Grow-:mushroom2:

Edited by b plus (05/27/13 10:48 AM)

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #18332717 - 05/28/13 12:30 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Dr.Mind_BendEr said:
Can you use this same tek on Rye Grain?

Im doing WBS now, and with the amount of WBS im using simmering/boiling is out of the question, I know enough about seed through my profession to know that boiling it for 60sec isn't really doing shit compared to a 9 hour soak ( hydration wise) and any endospores left at this point WILL be killed by pressure cooking...

Won't work on rye. I've tried it without success a few times. Rye needs to simmer to soak up the water since the grains are much larger. WBS hydrates much faster, but with my method the seeds aren't hydrated to full capacity during the steep. They are still pretty wet after the steep, rinse and drain, but that additional water is absorbed during sterilization so they fatten up even more. Any remaining water in your jars will be gone within a day or two IME.

Also, I don't buy into the soak to germinate endospores nonsense. We use pressure cookers because they get hot enough to kill heat tolerant endospores. If soaking germinated all of the endospores we wouldn't need a PC at all. If you feel the need to soak, soak to hydrate your grains, not to germinate endospores. IMO rinsing grains is more effective then soaking them as far as contaminants are concerned. Once the grains are ready for the PC, good filters and an adequate sterilization cycle (typically 90min @ 15psi) are the key to avoiding contaminants IME.

I've been using this same method, without a soak for almost 10 years now with a <1% contam rate regardless of the brand of WBS.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinevaneazy
Stranger

#18443999 - 06/19/13 09:13 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

just posting so its in my threads, will do this with next batch, because fuck soaking for 24 hours lol

OfflineimWhiteInMemphis
Stranger
Re: Foo Man's WBS Method [Re: vaneazy]
    #18958028 - 10/10/13 07:39 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Seems legit,  trying it out with 24 quart jars and 25# of wbs.  Rinsed my wbs first to clean it some and put it all in a 5 gallon gatorade cooler and pouring boiling water in.

InvisibleMikeBearPig
Not liked.
 User Gallery

#20517086 - 09/04/14 01:18 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Just prepped my first 12 WBS Jars tonite using this TEK!  I will post back with my results.

I already did it with some 4oz wide-mouth jars just to get the soaking down, and those are almost at 20% colonization!  Thank you for the wonderful time saving tek!

OfflineGoldenrye
uhhhh...

#20550983 - 09/11/14 12:42 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Any specific brand of wbs? Im very new to this but plan on trying this tek very soon

--------------------
Dude im stoned

OfflinecronicrM
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Foo Man's WBS Method [Re: Goldenrye]
    #20551127 - 09/11/14 01:10 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

some nice cheap stuff, things like peanut free or cracked corn free are a bonus but they dont' hurt anything

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Invisibleeatyualive
Eat's You Alive :)
 User Gallery

Loc: In Your Head
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Foo Man's WBS Method [Re: cronicr]
    #20586209 - 09/19/14 12:23 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

been testing some additions to this tek. they work. but i love the simplicity of this method. its simple, quick easy and convenient when life gets in the way.

5 STARS!:kaneclap:

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

:flame::chief:JOIN THE POW WOW:chief::flame:

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nibiru Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Foo Man's WBS Method [Re: eatyualive]
    #20586285 - 09/19/14 12:41 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

:solidnod:

--------------------
The Basics
A little civility goes a long way

The Noob Forum
The Hammock Hangers' Forum

InvisibleFilthyShroomz
starbuck

Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: SpitballJedi]
    #20648119 - 10/02/14 12:40 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Is gypsum necessary for wbs soak? Can you use straight wbs?

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

OfflinePussyFart
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: FilthyShroomz]
    #20648148 - 10/02/14 12:50 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

FilthyShroomz said:
Is gypsum necessary for wbs soak?

No.

Quote:

FilthyShroomz said:
Can you use straight wbs?

Yes.

--------------------

A Tale of 10 Isolates, GT Cluster Clone Monotubs, RR's Let's Grow Mushrooms DVD,
SGFC(Shotgun Fruiting Chamber), Monotub Tek, Damion5050's Coir Tek, TL's Tek List, Frank's Tek List,
EvilMushroom666's Pasteurization Tek, How It Should & Shouldn't Look - NEW CULTIVATORS GUIDE

InvisibleFilthyShroomz
starbuck

Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: PussyFart]
    #20648164 - 10/02/14 12:58 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Is simmering or boiling necessary?  I see that some folks here only soak and load.  :confused:

Thanks for the answer pussyfart!

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

OfflinePussyFart
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #20648169 - 10/02/14 12:59 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

I don't simmer or boil my WBS.....it all depends on the grains really.....

--------------------

InvisibleFilthyShroomz
starbuck

#20648209 - 10/02/14 01:09 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

:confused: which tek do you use

--------------------

OfflinePussyFart
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #20648217 - 10/02/14 01:11 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

I soak my WBS for 24 hours in hot tap water, then strain for 30 minutes, and load my jars while the grains are still a bit moist on the outside....

When they come out of the PC I shake them a few times as they cool, and the next day they bounce around the jar like a bunch of BBs.

--------------------

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20649804 - 10/02/14 07:25 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

if you use foo's you don't simmer or boil anything. you boil the water initially then take it off the heat. so its like a hot water bath. you can simmer grain but there is a fine line between overcooking it and making it perfect. this method for me is bulletproof and i have 100% success using it. the only time i have issues is user error. like not catching the water right when it begins to boil. that can overcook it. also, stitballjedi has been using this method with rye berry successfully and another fellow tried it with rye grass seed. he used only a 10 minute soak, and then pced and it worked perfectly for him. i do boil corn grain. but thats a whole other beast. its alot of work for me to prep corn grain. i like the simplicity of this method and actually prefer the speed. the reason its so great is that its on your time. and its very convenient if you have long days and work tons.

you can come home late and still have your grain ready before you go to bed. foo told me another method which involves doing it twice to blow up the grain a little more. i did it with success and i have a grow that used it. but to me, it adds a whole hour tot he prep time and made my grains expanded but more exploded. ill stick with the simple method because for me time is of the essence. nothing wrong with soaking grain. i used to soak, i used to steep. but for ease this method is proven and works extremely well. I don't feel like i am a "SLAVE TO THE GRAIN" any longer lol.

i actually add a dash of lime to my boiled water soak because it helps get the gunk off the grain. but isn't necessary at all.
i feel it does help though. i would assume gypsum would do something similar. although ive never tried.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

InvisibleFilthyShroomz
starbuck

#20656726 - 10/04/14 11:22 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

What happens if you pressure cook slightly wet wbs?

--------------------

Offlinepawnzy
That Guy

#20656739 - 10/04/14 11:25 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

FilthyShroomz said:

What happens if you water a lake?

lol jk but your wbs should be properly moist before you pc it, you shouldnt load your jars if the wbs moisture content is still off

InvisibleFilthyShroomz
starbuck

Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: pawnzy]
    #20656793 - 10/04/14 11:40 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Its moist but I feel like its too moist .. fml

--------------------

InvisibleSanguin3
Optimist
Male

#20656869 - 10/04/14 12:01 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

If you follow this method they're going to be moist when you load them up. As long as there isn't water pooling at the bottom of your jar you're good. When you pc it most extra water on the surface gets absorbed. When you pull them out of the pc give em a good shake to redistribute the moisture thats left and they should finish drying up in a day or two.

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: pawnzy]
    #20657235 - 10/04/14 01:53 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

pawnzy said:
Quote:

FilthyShroomz said:

What happens if you water a lake?

lol jk but your wbs should be properly moist before you pc it, you shouldnt load your jars if the wbs moisture content is still off

it may be a little wet. but shake it when its cool enough to do so to distribute the moisture.

but you can strain it 30 minutes or even an hour. an hour will make it slightly on the dry side. but it will work good.

i sometimes forget im straining it and let it strain an hour with to no detriment.

if there is too much water, after you pc it, the grain can get gooey and clump. shaking after the pc does help. but if your moisture content is incorrect you will usually know right after you pressure cook and allow the pc pressure to release. you may see clumps of grain about golf ball size. you also may see that you have mostly exploded grains. another indicator is on the glass of the jar after you have let the jars cool to room temps you may see gunk or gooey looking starches on the side of the glass. that isn't good.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

InvisibleFilthyShroomz
starbuck

Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: eatyualive]
    #20657316 - 10/04/14 02:16 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

If the wbs does end up being a little goey, is it ok still for mycelium to colonize on?  What if its a little gooey on the glass jar but the zeeds still move around freely?

--------------------

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20657350 - 10/04/14 02:25 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

let it fully dry and see if the starches on the glass go away. if the grain is shaking freely thats good.

do you have a picture? you may see this right when the jars have been taken out of the pc. usually if you let them sit a few hours this will let you see how it looks a little better.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

InvisibleFilthyShroomz
starbuck

#20657403 - 10/04/14 02:40 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

They're currently in the p.c. right now. Before I put them in the shit was just a bit starchy.  I had to rinse this wbs batch I bought for an hour and half bc it had red and green and yellow fruity pebble looking things. I rinsed it till that crap dissolved but I'm guessin tjats what the goey stuff is from. As soon as I get it out the pc I will have a picture for you. But other than that do u think ill be alright even if its a bit starchy?

--------------------

InvisibleFilthyShroomz
starbuck

#20657410 - 10/04/14 02:41 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

And if I need to let it dry more after I get them out the pc,  do I just take the jars out and put em out some whrre?  Even if the grains are movin freely?

--------------------

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20657532 - 10/04/14 03:19 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

if you followed the tek exactly you should not have an issue. they do look a little starchy but this is a common comment ive read. once its cool you will see.

to me it sounds like the seed is dirty. you can always try to float some extra gunk off the grain when your pouring it out. ill even fill the pot with water after i dump off the floaters. then do it again if there is still some stuff mixed in. its hit or miss with the cheap seed sometimes. it should still work.
i recently have been doing about 40 quart batches of inoculation at a time. so ill pc 10 jars at a time a night. so by the end of the week, some of the jars have been sitting a few days. there are not contams. don't panic. you will see that once it cools down after your shake, things will be fine.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

InvisibleFilthyShroomz
starbuck

#20657623 - 10/04/14 03:52 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Cool. What's the worst thing that can happen?

--------------------

OfflineSpinScratch
Untrusted Cultivator
Male

#20657781 - 10/04/14 04:34 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

I usually just do a 18 hr hot water soak, but I just boiled for the first time after my last soak... it makes the drying the grains soooo much quicker and easier. Ill never skip a boil again.

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: SpinScratch]
    #20657848 - 10/04/14 04:56 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

read through this thread. spj also had similar comments about the starch look. he waited it out and it didn't contam sitting for a week.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/20296604

worst that can happen is you toss them and and make new ones.

im doing this grain tek right now as we speak.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

InvisibleFilthyShroomz
starbuck

#20657931 - 10/04/14 05:16 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

http://

--------------------

InvisibleFilthyShroomz
starbuck

#20657933 - 10/04/14 05:17 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

How does that look?

--------------------

OfflinepsilocybeMANS
It gets so real sometimes.
Male User Gallery

Loc: California Flag
    #20657987 - 10/04/14 05:35 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

thanks for this fooman! got my first jar ever of wbs in the pc right now :thumbup:

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: psilocybeMAN]
    #20658036 - 10/04/14 05:59 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

try picking a different seed next time. red and white millet and some sunflower seeds is what you want. here is is a picture of what my grain looks like.

ive even had jars that had golfball size clumps of grain and i still had it colonize and fruit. be patient wait it out. a little starch on the glass is ok it will go away. read that link from spitball jedi.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

InvisibleFilthyShroomz
starbuck

#20658040 - 10/04/14 06:01 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Do my jars look destroyed?  I think its fairy moist and dry .. what do u think of my jar

--------------------

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20658062 - 10/04/14 06:10 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

be patient, read the link from sbj. a little starch is fine. it will go away.

here is a close up of what my grain looks like after. this example has liquid stem clone tissue injected into it.

also, ive even had clumps the size of golf balls colonize and fruit just fine. i normally don't ever pressure cook grain quarts more than an hour. you may have some burst grain. this is normal.

i can't see any pictures.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Edited by eatyualive (10/04/14 06:11 PM)

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20658067 - 10/04/14 06:12 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

i see now. those look fine. let it cool a few hours and look at it again. you will see that they dry up quite a bit. if you find that your having a bunch of burst grains. let it strain for 30 minutes longer before you pressure cook next time. that should bring the burst grains to a minimum. and if your worried, simply let the jars sit for a couple of days and make sure that you don't see any contams. i don't think you will.

also, try filling the jars up a little more about 1/3 more.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Edited by eatyualive (10/04/14 06:15 PM)

InvisibleFilthyShroomz
starbuck

#20658072 - 10/04/14 06:15 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleFilthyShroomz
starbuck

#20658081 - 10/04/14 06:18 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Yea that's the only jar filled like that. It was the last of the seeds I had left..

Thanks for your help man!

--------------------

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20658126 - 10/04/14 06:35 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

anytime!

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Edited by eatyualive (10/05/14 01:31 PM)

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20660928 - 10/05/14 01:24 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

filthy,

hey here is a close up of my grain jars right after a shake. this was the batch i just did.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Edited by eatyualive (10/05/14 01:36 PM)

InvisiblePastywhyteM
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #20803181 - 11/06/14 09:50 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I had some straight millet kicking around I wanted to use up. I had always heard good things bout this tek so I gave it a shot. . . and it fucking rocks :rockon:

Super easy, ya can't miss! Something this good deserves a bump, props to Foo :headbang3:

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nibiru Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Foo Man's WBS Method [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #20803314 - 11/06/14 10:20 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

:solidnod:

--------------------
The Basics
A little civility goes a long way

The Noob Forum
The Hammock Hangers' Forum

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Foo Man's WBS Method [Re: SpitballJedi]
    #20803406 - 11/06/14 10:36 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

this ones on my top two teks of all time along with slurry! combined, there is nothing faster on the net.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20958859 - 12/10/14 08:30 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

so i had to get a new strainer and i got the wrong one. for me a key factor in straining wbs is the metal mesh strainers like this.

the new ones i bought seem to hold the water in and take twice as long. make sure you get the mesh and not the metal holes below.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

InvisibleMikeBearPig
Not liked.
 User Gallery

Re: Foo Man's WBS Method [Re: eatyualive]
    #20958878 - 12/10/14 08:34 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

eatyualive said:
so i had to get a new strainer and i got the wrong one. for me a key factor in straining wbs is the metal mesh strainers like this.

the new ones i bought seem to hold the water in and take twice as long. make sure you get the mesh and not the metal holes below.

We are strainer twins!! (the good one)

You also know that, sometimes the perfect size birdseed gets into those holes and is a bitch to get out.

Edited by MikeBearPig (12/10/14 08:35 PM)

OfflineEdmunterS
Mr
Male User Gallery

Re: Foo Man's WBS Method [Re: MikeBearPig]
    #21099881 - 01/11/15 04:47 AM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Do you still advise removing the cracked corn and sunflower seeds?

InvisibleMikeBearPig
Not liked.
 User Gallery

Re: Foo Man's WBS Method [Re: Edmunter]
    #21104234 - 01/11/15 11:13 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Depends how heavy it is with it.

I remove 95% of mine because there is just so damn much sunflower.  Some people say the oil helps, have not read a definitive answer yet.  I just know using a a lot of them is not good.

OfflineMBabble
Pumpkinhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hot and humid
Re: Foo Man's WBS Method [Re: MikeBearPig]
    #21115059 - 01/13/15 04:55 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the tek, dear God there's a lot to read and analyze.
On the topic of gypsum, is there any reason not to use a little?
Again, thanks for the tek Foo, I was pretty much set on Docs, but this gives me more to think about.
I'm hoping to get started this weekend, but I'm new and can't read some threads/teks etc for 9 more days, so if I can stand it I'll hold off until next week.

InvisibleMunchauzen
Mushroom Maharaja
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Foo Man's WBS Method [Re: MBabble]
    #21256229 - 02/11/15 12:34 AM (5 years, 5 months ago)

If you have gypsum, use it! Gypsum will not affect PH levels,  so this can be added without worry.

Invisibleeatyualive
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Foo Man's WBS Method [Re: Munchauzen]
    #21256253 - 02/11/15 12:40 AM (5 years, 5 months ago)

i also use pickling lime with my soak water! works great! not for ph balance but more to clean the gunk off the wbs. old hands used to use jet dry in their grain soaks as a releasing agent for the same purpose.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Foo Man's WBS Method [Re: MBabble]
    #21551274 - 04/15/15 03:54 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

I don't mess with gypsum but a little certainly couldn't hurt.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineArush
Godfather
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
    #22732157 - 01/03/16 04:13 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

I always soak with a bit of coffee added.
It seems soaking for 30 mins or less works best. When ever I go longer my jars tend to pool up at the bottom until I shake them. No matter how long of a drain.
With 30 mins, let drain (hair dryer optional), load and pc. Have 0 issues.

--------------------
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22409475
“Psychedelics are illegal not because a loving government is concerned that you may jump out of a third story window. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve opinion structures and culturally laid down models of behaviour and information processing. They open you up to the possibility that everything you know is wrong.”
― Terence McKenna

OfflineMachiavelliavore
Vermiculite Hater
 User Gallery

Loc: The Sporetorn States
Re: Foo Man's WBS Method [Re: Arush]
    #22732305 - 01/03/16 04:51 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

I find the millet tends to be dry-ish with that short timing, and doesn't look like it colonizes that well.  The jars do shake and colonize.

If it's pooling with longer times, chances are you need to dry it better, one way or another.

--------------------

I spawned some popcorn casings and had double-overlay cause I didn't put enough hydrogen peroxide in my automated aquarium mister.  I only got one mushroom so I cut off the head part where the seeds fall from and put it in a jar of LC and sprayed it all over a tin of PF cakes I made with gravel, cardboard, and bisquick in my microwave.  I think it will be good cause B+ is so potent.
Triggered yet?

Only a square would say "a cube is a cube."

No, this does not look right...

Offlinefishroom
Stranger

#24298880 - 05/06/17 02:09 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

I feel you there. i have hit or miss with wbs, i think due to moisture and corn factor. i cant find rye or Pennington's so i have been trying to pick out the corn. i have more contam issues when i put a layer of verm on top of the wbs, even with pressure cooker at 20 psi for 90 plus minutes. for me verm on the bottom or as dry as possible wbs has been the best so far. i had a bit of trouble starting fruiting but i think i fixed that issue. now i have some small practice tubs that smell more like beer than shrooms, i assume i should chuck into the oops pile in the yard. i wasn't sure it wasn't co2 but i think its not now lol. does cobweb mold smell ? the trays look like they are colonized with something white. also what is safe ratio of peroxide and water to not injure mycelium? good luck all. happy growing.what a wonderful cure for depression!

OfflineHerbalPotion
Dreamer
Male

Loc: Hyperspace
    #25056545 - 03/11/18 05:18 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Awesome write up man thank you!!!  :mushroom2:

--------------------
~ vision without execution is just hallucination ~

InvisiblePsicomvb
Enjoying the ride
Male User Gallery

Re: Foo Man's WBS Method [Re: HerbalPotion] * 1
    #25108013 - 04/02/18 10:18 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Bumping this for awesomeness :thumbup: It's the one wbs tek that always comes out perfect for me.

InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Foo Man's WBS Method [Re: Psicomvb]
    #25108481 - 04/02/18 02:27 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

FooMan said:

Then rinse the seeds well:

After rinsing, you want the excess water to drain. I myself don't wait a half hour or anything for this step, I just shake the the strainer like a chef does on the cooking shows until I don't see more than a drop or two of water.

The only thing i do differently is remit the final rinse. The grains are soaking wet anyway from straining them for 15 minutes and finish being fully hydrated in the pc not the hot soak.

:vibin:

OfflineWolfenstein23
Stranger

Re: Foo Man's WBS Method [Re: Psicomvb]
    #25277438 - 06/18/18 09:43 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

I hope you know how good it feels to read an awesome tek from a few years ago and then have someone recently say they still use it and would recommend it :smile:

Thank you, and a big thank you to Foo! I greatly appreciate your time :thanx:

OfflineElDuderino2314
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Foo Man's WBS Method [Re: Wolfenstein23]
    #25366882 - 08/04/18 07:17 PM (2 years, 8 days ago)

How did your WBS feel after the soak? Mine are still kind of hard. I've heard they should be almost soft between your fingers, but not total mush. I had a few grains burst too unfortunately. Might need to ditch this batch

OfflineJagnabit369
Student
    #25503920 - 10/01/18 06:46 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Is that your bulk substrate? The bird seed?

--------------------
All is possible, my friend.[gradient:#F230D5,#]All is possible.[/gradient]

InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: Jagnabit369]
    #25504083 - 10/01/18 07:38 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Wbs is spawn like all grains.

Offline7Leturmeatloph
Stranger
Re: Easy "Soak and Simmer" WBS Prep [Re: JHOVA]
    #25539104 - 10/15/18 12:54 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

In the process of doing this Tek. I have only used rye grain from the Oss Oeric method which is nearly 40 years old. Just goes to show that some teks will never age. Just like this one. TY.

OfflineMimik
Local Chest monster

#26390743 - 12/19/19 03:40 PM (7 months, 20 days ago)

Bro I found your tek and tried it out. TY so much for this. Super easy and worked great, no fuss no muss, just mush :P

--------------------
Formula: 0

So be wary
        |\(%()*^^()^\
      %| |-%-------|
      %  \|%________|

Offlinejay.ach
Traveler
Male User Gallery

#26689750 - 05/23/20 08:21 AM (2 months, 19 days ago)

Thank you for the tek -- this is just what I needed!

--------------------
“One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.”  - Henry Miller

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Gypsum, Hot Plate, Lab Glassware, Laminar Flow Hood, Oyster Shell, pH Test Strips, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation