Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Important - All Cultivators please read. [Re: Peyotl]
    #526078 - 01/19/02 11:36 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Peyotl, I think you're confused.

First of all, the reason that many of us are unhappy is because we see the same question asked again and again. If all the novice growers here knew about the search function and how to use it the problem would be automatically solved. Unfortunatly, that just isn't going to happen. Out main goal here is to compile a list of commonly asked questions and give the best possible answers in a single document that will be know as the offical shroomery mushroom cultivation FAQ (or something like that). Anytime we see the questions we can link them to that very FAQ. Hopefully newbies will read this before they post and get many of there answers questions before they need to ask them and annoy us. Just so you have an idea of the type of questions we are talking about some of the most common are:

Who is the best vendor?
What is the best Psilocybe Cubensis strain?
What is a spore print? What is a spore syringe? What is the difference?
My spore syringe looks clear, is it okay?
Who is the best vendor?
What is the best tek?

etc. etc. etc.

You see, we are not at all bothed at helping wiht any questions or concerncs other might have, we were all newbies once, but we dont feel like answering all those questions over and over and over.

Moreover, I think a BRF/DRF tek. board discussion is way too limiting. We might as well just call it a beginners cultivation fourm and kill two birds with one stone (or in this case, thread).

Theres my 0.02

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefresh357
addict

Re: Important - All Cultivators please read. [Re: Peyotl]
    #526103 - 01/19/02 11:55 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

i dont mind easing peoples minds and helping people be patient or the correct timing of birthing, and other finer case-by-case basis questions, but...how can you possibly condone a question like "whats the difference between a spore print and syringe?" That is downright pathetic.

I think something that we are all forgetting here is that this is not " the grow your own houseplantery" this is a board on psychadelic mushroom cultivation...if you are too dumb to figure out even the most basic questions,then YOU SHOULDNT BE GROWING/EATING SHROOMS. you may think that when some of us flame that we are just eing assholes for the sake of it, but think of it this way: those morons we flame have always been the reason that things like shrooms are illegal, and may be the reason that spores may be banned in the future.

Think about that next time i tell someone to use the search engine and you get on my ass...(you know who you are)

can i get an amen?

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Important - All Cultivators please read. [Re: phrozendata]
    #526299 - 01/20/02 03:28 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

The FAQ is being worked on aggressively as we speak. Once we can get that up it will be a great start to helping remove the redundant questions in this forum.

As for the splitting up of forums I'm still unsure of the best suggestion, maybe the FAQ will solve many of the problems without the need for a forum split....

But keep the ideas coming, I'm sure we can figure a good solution with all the smart people here :smile:

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Important - All Cultivators please read. [Re: Thor]
    #526383 - 01/20/02 05:31 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Is it possible to require as a part of the registration process, at least a visit to the FAQ page? I realize there would be no way to ensure they read it, but at least they would know it's there.

Perhaps on the forum page, put the various forums in he following order... FAQ, Vendors, Contams, Mush Pics, Cultivation, Advanced, Spore Exchange, Hunting, Gourmet.

This might help those that are too lazy to look find there answers before posting.

And to fresh357.... AMEN!!

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineZip_lock
Loc: UK
    #526472 - 01/20/02 10:35 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

This is a very firtile thread with some nice ideas.
I think the FAQ would be very useful, as a newbie, I would have found that very helpful. Perhaps it would be possible to incorporate an archive into the FAQ to make it easier to write (and more extensive).
In order to help the beginners post I think it would be good if some users(anno puscleetc), who were willing to frequent the begginers board could be nominated for a experienced grower user account, so that beginners would have someone to ask questions to. Then newbies would have a reliable source of information in the newbie forum.

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Important - All Cultivators please read. [Re: Zip_lock]
    #526559 - 01/20/02 12:48 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I'm not sure I have too much input on how the forums should be split. I think that I like how they are setup now. If anything I think I would like to see it split down to Beginner, Novice and Advance cultivation. The only thing we would be acheiving is one new forum in which one is for totall beginner questions are asked and another where novice questions are asked after people have a firm understanding of the various teks. However, I see the problem that whatever forum becomes the most popular all the questions will just pile in there. Beginner questions in the novice forum and vice vera. I think that, if at all possible, we should try and keep the setup that we have right now. Hopefully, some more of you will comment on this matter and give your $0.02.

Do it, for the community.

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

Invisibleoscill8
*bondage fairy*
    #526640 - 01/20/02 02:41 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

1.) Rely on a well written faq. q's that are in the faq or in teks (obvious questions that have been documented somewhere else than in a thread on the bbs) get locked with a link to the appropriate document (or not, could just get locked). The search function, while seemingly popular, is not the most efficent way to glean information. The best is to ask someone (which, is too much now). The second best is to find your question already answered in a static document. Its not fair to newbies to ask them just to rely on the search function, since it often brings up invalid information, unfinished answers and debates, and sometimes wrong answers.

2.) Dont use scare tactics, or make them jump thru hoops. They wont join. And yes, we want them to join, new people mean new hobbiests... i dont want it to be too controlled in there- i mean, there is a very steep learning curve as to this hobby, and i do get irritated at silly questions, or people who try and reinvent the wheel (can i use marijuana as a substrate... etc.) But, you also dont want to scare away the newbies, or make it so people are afraid to register and post. Especially if this site wants to get serious about finding funding: the traffic this place generates is enormous, a marketing dream. 18-24 year old white males...the ad execs/counterculture sites are creaming their pants now. Its NOT selling out to pay the bills. but ive already said my peace/piece on that, so... next point...

3.) Moving questions to a newbie "already answered" forum will just cause no one to visit that forum, even the expereinced who frequent mc. If i had my q moved to a trashpile without explanation id be sad. Cry for days, i tell you.

4.) Locking threads may be a good idea (more work, more mods needed.) Then again, 2 mods for mc and 3 for adv cult? Seems the busiest forum (that doesnt allow for free-speech rights, otd) should have more mods to take care of the problem. This is NOT a slam on the mods here- its just too fucking busy for 2 people. i think all the mods do a nice job here. /end ass sucking, apparently.

5.) Encourage people to use the "notify mod" button- this way redundant questions could be dealt with (locked, moved, etc.) without the mods having to scour each and every thread (and theres a lot)...

6.) Encourage reading of relevant materials by dedicating a button or link to the grow/find page, and keep it updated. (the g/f). Theres no link to the "outside world", shroomery.com, or its touted teks (where all the answers can be found). I notice when i want to know something, i have to go all the way out to the main page, and into grow/find. (i dont access the bbs thru the main page). If it were easier to find, and if the material were updated- then perhaps we wouldnt have so many posts about things that have been answered in faq/tek form.

7.) Encourage members to retool old teks. Enlist us to revamp grow/find, since many teks in there arent worth the html theyre written in. KUDOS TO ANNO for his pf writeup. shtuff like that is necessary. If people wanna bitch about things, then have THEM make it better by contributing some time and effort here.

8.) Make me queen for a day.

That is all. ::grin::

--------------------
? oscill8 2001, 2002
"Any data submitted to Shroomery.org becomes our property"

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Important - All Cultivators please read. [Re: oscill8]
    #526665 - 01/20/02 03:05 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

Loc: Tennessee
    #526767 - 01/20/02 05:21 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

After some further thought on my part I don't think it would be a bad idea to leave the forums the way they are as long as there is a permanant post at the top of each forum that says "Read this FAQ before you post any questions here or someone will come to your home and give you a wedgie!" This will also be much easier to implement. Nothing to change except to add a FAQ. At least you could try it this way first before you go and change the forums all around eh?

bassplayer74

--------------------
If you will it, it is no dream.

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Loc: under the Amanita
    #527147 - 01/21/02 06:35 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

go for it!

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

"if you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - timothy leary"
Anno: "-I can do anything with those clouds!"
Annos Tek

Offlineemptyvessel
Re: Important - All Cultivators please read. [Re: Sterile]
    #528082 - 01/22/02 09:46 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I agree with bassplayer, add a FAQ page and see how things go.

Offlineemptyvessel
Re: Important - All Cultivators please read. [Re: emptyvessel]
    #528086 - 01/22/02 09:48 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

O, and I think if the search engine was better it would make things all the more goood. Those two things I think would be the most influential.

Peace

Invisiblezilch
enthusiast
Re: Important - All Cultivators please read. [Re: emptyvessel]
    #528087 - 01/22/02 09:49 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, actually this sounds like a good start. Maybe that is all what is needed.

Hows things going for the FAQ? Where can you see/submit new questions? I would like to help, but still I need to see what is in there first.

zilch

Offlinesillvyr

Loc: under a tree
    #528266 - 01/22/02 01:24 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

This idea sounds good, but will any more experienced growers "drop in" on the newbie forum to lend support? I have found that the folks with experience to be an invaluable resource. I don't want to lose their input.

--------------------
The "Little Mushrooms" are but emisaries to the Overmind.....

InvisibleMushroom_Madness
enthusiast
Loc: Quaint New England Villag...
    #528947 - 01/23/02 08:31 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

That sounds like a great Idea

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Re: Important - All Cultivators please read. [Re: Mushroom_Madness]
    #528955 - 01/23/02 08:48 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Well this thread has been up for a while now, thank you to all of you for your thoughts.

I will try to make a decision soon, honestly my mind has been changed a few times throughout this thread.

Thanks to Oscill8 and Anno the FAQ is coming along very nicely and we may just start off by adding that to see if it reduces the traffic in the forum.

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

#528956 - 01/23/02 08:50 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

oops

Offlinethebiggerfig
Re: better search engine [Re: Thor]
    #557391 - 02/20/02 11:03 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

if the search engine would just find the original posts instead of all the repleys we could look through the topics much quicker; also if the search button link was on the main index page; the link would bring you to another page and have the option of which forum(s) you would like the search engine to look in and some other options like who is the poster.

--------------------
shit happens, you just have to grow shrooms on it

Offlinewindex
old hand
    #557502 - 02/20/02 01:45 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Instead of having an off fourm faq page, like now. And putting a huge post with the top questions make several sticky "mock" posts. Make up a username and post the question have the top shroomery members reply to it. I think this approach would work a lot better then the search or off fourm faq (the style the faq is now). Also it would work out better then one long faq type post as it would be easier to sit and read

OfflineCrazyBusiness
Stranger thanyou think
 User Gallery

Loc: Under the stairs.
Re: Important - All Cultivators please read. [Re: windex]
    #4238390 - 05/30/05 10:42 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I agree that there should be three levels, and suggest that there be a quiz scripted in for each one. Your user in the DB as a field "cult level" 0,1,2, each being allowed to access one more level up on the cult forum level scheme. pass the quiz to get 1, and maybe a tougher quiz or the approval of a mod for level 2 access.

--------------------
...in my opinion

Life's too short, man.. Life's too short. Dont hate me, and I wont put space between us. Dont lie to me, and I wont dislike you. Keep an open mind, and I'll love you.

My advice of the week(do this, you'll like it): listen to Mahogany Rush.

Representing Beatiful British Columbian classic dank. Just think, Columbia for coke, British Columbia for buds. truth

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder