Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedemon2091tb
Stranger

Chemicals in Cigs VS. MJ
    #5253190 - 02/01/06 09:53 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

This is a general question really, I got in a discussion with my mom the other day, about the chemicals in Cig's vs the chemicals in Marijuana, besides the given, Nicotine, and THC, in each respectively. What other chemicals are present in each, like those possibly added by Tobacco Manuf. during the process, as well as MJ growers and such.

(I know its rather stupid to say someone would add more chemicals than needed to a personal or commercial grow of MJ, but theres some people out there i

I wonder though about the other chemicals in each. And the possibility of Cancer being much more apparent in Cig's than Marijuana.

So whats the deal, Sorry if this thread is sorta lame, just wondering really and i couldn't find any related info.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAKSE
My bruises areblue
 User Gallery

Loc: Ak
Re: Chemicals in Cigs VS. MJ [Re: demon2091tb]
    #5253198 - 02/01/06 09:55 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

As I know it, cigarette smokers are at a higher risk of cancer because of the fact that most cigarette smokers smoke alot of tobacco in a single day. There are about equal carcinogenic chemicals in both cigarettes and marijuana. I think there are roughly 400+ chemicals?

OfflineKerr
Who else would I be

Loc: My roots in the Koots
    #5253205 - 02/01/06 09:58 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
"Easy going and organic thoughts bent on self experimentation and knowledge and growth for the betterment of self and those around us"
-Playdo the philosophiser

Offlinefazdazzle
Wanderer

Re: Chemicals in Cigs VS. MJ [Re: Kerr]
    #5253558 - 02/01/06 11:05 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

aww look at the kitty

makes me miss my cat :frown:

heh sorry for the off-topic comment...

OfflineKerr
Who else would I be

Re: Chemicals in Cigs VS. MJ [Re: fazdazzle]
    #5254794 - 02/02/06 11:25 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Her name is Mary Jane :bigblunt::sun:

--------------------
"Easy going and organic thoughts bent on self experimentation and knowledge and growth for the betterment of self and those around us"

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
    #5254832 - 02/02/06 11:39 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.erowid.org/plants/tobacco/tobacco_info1.shtml

Here's another piece on the subject..

Offlineph30n1x
the next jerry

Loc: just a few notes away
    #5255006 - 02/02/06 12:25 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RyanKerr said:
and this :sun:

Somewhere in that link it says that cannabis smoke does not contain those radioactive particles that tobacco does (polonium 210 and lead 210 I think it was) which are daughter products of phosphate fertalizers that are used by those big tobacco manufacturers.  But I heard that cannabis is fertalized with these same fertalizers that is used in the tobacco industries.  Does anyone know if this is true?  Or is that exclusively for large commertial cannabis growers, and that home grown or hydroponic systems use natural plant food?

OfflineKerr
Who else would I be

Re: Chemicals in Cigs VS. MJ [Re: ph30n1x]
    #5256051 - 02/02/06 04:29 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Hey ph30n1x , if I remember correctly, David Malmo-Levine did an article for Cannabis culture on it, let me see if I can did it up :sun:

Edit:
Radioactive buds? 

Radioactive tobacco

The radioactivity debate :sun:

--------------------

Edited by RyanKerr (02/02/06 04:32 PM)

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Loc: Osage Cuestas
    #5256092 - 02/02/06 04:41 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

The source for polonium 210 is primarily the result of non-organic fertilizer. This substance is also contained in the other conventionally grown crops offered in grocery stores and farmer?s markets. The reason its presence in tobacco and marijuana are of particular concern is due to the different way out body metabolizes something when it is smoked versus when it is eaten.
Avoid this by growing your own herb if at all possible or buying from organic sources. Same goes for tobacco, American Spirit offers organically grown tobacco products? or you can grow your own tobacco which isn?t as hard as it may seem. Three or four well cared for tobacco plants can sustain a moderate smoker for a year-ish. And you can grow interesting species like N. rustica.
georgeM

OfflineKerr
Who else would I be

Re: Chemicals in Cigs VS. MJ [Re: georgeM]
    #5256123 - 02/02/06 04:46 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Great input George, I myself have grown N.rustica for the past two years and N.tabacum for the last year. Very active smoke, very dependant on curing. Anyone have any tips for curing, I know slower is better, homemade curing machines? Sorry for the derail here :sun:

--------------------

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

#5256616 - 02/02/06 07:00 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Ah howdy fellow grower. I have grown N. tobacum crops a few times. Last summer was my first crop of N. rustica.
The curing methods I have used are pretty darn simple. For rustica I remove the leaf matter and place this on screen shelves that hang suspended in a mesh bag, located in my house in room that never receives direct sunlight. After about two months the flavor began to mellow out enough to produce a fairly enjoyable smoke. I find the rustica to produce a far more intense physical sensation. Something between numbness and a tingling heaviness, quite enjoyable.
I tried both the above method for N. tobacum, with poor results. I tried hanging entire plants cut off at the base upside down in an airy barn with better results, however the flavor is still developing as this was only harvested four and one half months ago. The potency of the N. tobacum is not even close to the rustica, personally I also like the flavor of rustica more.
I?m curious, did you have pest problems with your rustica more so than tobacum?
georgeM

OfflineKerr
Who else would I be

#5256693 - 02/02/06 07:24 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Your curing technique sounds similar to my brothers, he got some real nice results with it, have you made any bluntwraps before, I took a nearly dried leaf and rolled some herb in it, let the whole joint dry for a while. I never really got my leafs to go brown, yellow yes and green because it was too fast, but very very active non the less. I agree that the rustica is a much more potent smoke.

I havent really had any problems with them other than some bugs getting stuck to the leaves, kind of a bother when trying to harvest. Have you ever used the leaves as an insecticide? I heard it works quite well :sun:

--------------------

OfflineInTheFlesh714
Drunk
Male User Gallery
Loc: (714)
    #5257018 - 02/02/06 08:36 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Has there ever been one case of an individual getting lung cancer from marijuana alone?

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Re: Chemicals in Cigs VS. MJ [Re: InTheFlesh714]
    #5259006 - 02/03/06 12:06 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

InTheFlesh... Peter Jennings and I think John Wayne :wink:

Ryan: I haven?t tried making a blunt wrap but you know that sounds like an excellent idea. I used to hate the combination of herb and tobacco however over the past few years I?ve acquired a taste for it. A little tobacco rolled into your standard jay promotes even burning. The smell isn?t blatant so you can toke up in public without worries as well. I?ll try a rustica blunt this weekend. Thanks for the reminder =)
georgeM

OfflineKerr
Who else would I be

#5259539 - 02/03/06 02:24 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I'd love to hear about it afterwards, post a little report or hit me up with a PM :sun:

Woot, 900th post :grin:

--------------------

Edited by RyanKerr (02/03/06 02:24 PM)

OfflineMenuShroom
~~~~~~~~~
    #5259850 - 02/03/06 04:19 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think anyone touched on this yet... but other than the toxic byproducts of combustion, and also the radiation from the non-organic fertilizer... flue-cured tobacco also apparently has tobacco specific nitroamines, that can cause cancer.

The swedish people around this by steam-curing their tobacco, and the swedes like to use pouches of tobacco called snus.

So in this sense marijuana doesn't have those extra chemicals from flue-curing, and is better in that way.

Invisiblemycogirl
goddamn
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Chemicals in Cigs VS. MJ [Re: MenuShroom]
    #5260262 - 02/03/06 06:33 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

This is the niche for the volcano vaporizer. It is approved by the FDA and only puts out 4 chemicals.

Here is a better list of chemicals in ciggy smoke:
http://www.avonhypnotherapy.co.uk/chemicalsincigarettesmoke.htm

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds