Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinegluke bastid
Stinky Bum
Male User Gallery

Loc: Charm City
The Drifter Thread
    #5238470 - 01/29/06 12:51 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Am I normal?

I move from city to city. As soon as I get somewhere, I get to work at finding a job and an apartment. But as soon as I get these things, the grass starts looking greener elsewhere and I get the need to move. I'm never happy where I am, and am always stressed out about this pattern of behavior. The things I crave in life-a community and some sort of stimulating career in the arts-are things that you need to stay in one place and work on. But I have this compulsive need to keep running from one place to the next.

Is this normal? I'm 24 years old and I'm tired of how empty my life feels. Guess I'm just looking to see if there are other shroomerites out there who went through a phase like this and whether or not it passes.

--------------------
:hst:
Society in every form is a blessing,
but government at its best is but a necessary evil

- Thomas Paine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleeligal
Noobie

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California
Re: The Drifter Thread [Re: gluke bastid]
    #5238485 - 01/29/06 12:55 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I get that, not to the extent you have though. my 2cents is basically you need to find a job where every few months or so you are given a new project which is different from the first. so you will actually stay in the same place with the same firm or whatever, yet still be able have the ever change you need.
or maybe im wrong, i dont know

--------------------
\m/ Spanksta \m/

"do you have the freedom to do with your nervous system what you want?"

"MolokoMilkPlus said:
I'll respect you if you let me give you a blow job"

"tactik said:
respect the can."

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
    #5238663 - 01/29/06 01:33 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Ive been doing that since i moved out of my parents house, and its only been 2.5 years.. but in my search for what feels right, i declare myself homeless in the summer and follow the path which presents itself - things are starting to feel right, in different places - and thats just how it is. Travellers call it "wanderlust".

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: The Drifter Thread [Re: PDU]
    #5238681 - 01/29/06 01:37 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

do you care if people perceive you as normal?

do you perceive drifting as a problem? Keep your options open you're young, I love random and spontaneous things, and when people settle they often build walls blocking out unpredicted things which in my opinion make life worth living..

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineDocPsilocybin
enthusiast

#5238692 - 01/29/06 01:41 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Man, I love it myself. Between going to school and tree planting during the summers I have no home. I wouldn't call it complete wander lust, but it's not a very stable existence...and I LOVE it. I've got all my life to settle down and find a comfortable place, but for now I'm content wandering.

--------------------
You can't hold a man down without staying down with him.
-- Booker T. Washington

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #5238707 - 01/29/06 01:44 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

"insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results" -Einstein (probably not word for word).

cant run away from yourself.

I also see this as a prominent theme in the life of the "Artist". It is laziness.... refusal to really work in a trade or craft in the hopes that one day you can sit back, drink martinis at noon and splach paints on a canvas on your whim.
While that isnt impossible to attain in this society, it is impractical.

Everyone is an artist, even accountants have to creativly crunch numbers. I am a FOH/monitor engineer and I make my work my art.... its just dealing with the people that sucks.
Dont try to make your art your job, make your job your art.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: The Drifter Thread [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #5238752 - 01/29/06 01:55 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:
make your job your art.

or your life.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
    #5238881 - 01/29/06 02:37 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

move to asheville NC...i think you will find what you need there :smile:

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

InvisibleVoidOfsPg
Stranger
Female User Gallery
Loc: San Antonio, TX
    #5238918 - 01/29/06 02:49 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Maybe you need Jesus. :grin:

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: The Drifter Thread [Re: Vulture]
    #5239990 - 01/29/06 08:24 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Vulture said:
move to asheville NC...i think you will find what you need there :smile:

YEAH! ive got asheville listed as my favorites on my myspace page, what a great place - maybe ill get to get more involved rather than just pass through this year.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

Loc: Not Enough Characters to ...
    #5240372 - 01/29/06 09:53 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Ever been to Arcata? its much better than Asheville i mean Asheville is nice but the "mountain" people live there too which if youve ever seen Deliverance you wouldnt want to have anything to do with them..Not only do they HATE nonwhite people the hate outsiders even more.

OfflineYoschie99
nomad
Male

Loc: center of earth
    #5240448 - 01/29/06 10:17 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

i'm a total wanderer... i like to relocate every couple of years.

i don't think it's necessarily an issue.. i'm fine with starting over somewhere new... but, if you feel it's impeding your personal growth, stop. Try and make an effort to stay in one place for twice as long as you usually would... see if it makes you feel any better.

yos-

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Loc: Trump Train
Re: The Drifter Thread [Re: Yoschie99]
    #5240984 - 01/30/06 01:41 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I've only moved once...but I really want to move again, I think i need to in order to help spur on my personal growth, but Yoschie is right too, only stop if it feels like it is impeding....too much or too little movement can be a bad thing I guess,

Maybe you gotta figure out what you are really running from. The stable communities you say you crave are out there, you gotta pick one if you want to....the more places you see the better the choice you can make, who knows man, maybe its like love and you won't know it until its in your face, maybe you just haven't found a place worth commiting to, that doesn't mean it isn't out there.

If you're into the arts, what about Frisco?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet Flag
    #5240994 - 01/30/06 01:47 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I've been doing this my whole life.
My best friend says I won't ever achieve the things I want because I can't stick to anything.

I need to make choices and when I do, I change my mind later. I know what I want out of life, but I can't seem to choose which direction I want to take to get there.

I've been to quite a few places. I've lived in several different places. All great. Even here is great. Still, I feel that there's something better somewhere else. I can't shake that feeling.

I need to go. That's the feeling I get.

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

Anonymous

Re: The Drifter Thread [Re: CaRnAgECaNdY]
    #5241001 - 01/30/06 01:53 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

It seems everyone lives in North Carolina now that I think about it. I live here..I don't know what I want to do with my life. I am only 18 but am worried that I am going to amount to nothing. I am going to go to a college for my bachelors in Information Technology..I'm not even sure if that's what I want. It is the only thing that I partially want. I am so confused in life right now.

Invisiblemecreateme
YoUisMEEMsiUoY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Memphrica
Re: The Drifter Thread [Re: CaRnAgECaNdY]
    #5241054 - 01/30/06 02:44 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Everyone gets that feeling because we seem to have an invisble carrot dangled in front of us that is never reached, no matter how hard we try. :shrug:

--------------------
No ONE wants to know the ultimate TRUTH, as soon as YOU find IT out, YOU want to forget IT.

You are everything's way of feeling itself.

Happy Schwag, everygodly!

InvisibleRESTLESS
C.M.L.W.

Re: The Drifter Thread [Re: mecreateme]
    #5241056 - 01/30/06 02:44 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

:foshizzle:

--------------------

OfflineToddo
Stranger
Male

Re: The Drifter Thread [Re: Anonymous]
    #5241061 - 01/30/06 02:50 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Civic said:
It seems everyone lives in North Carolina now that I think about it. I live here..I don't know what I want to do with my life. I am only 18 but am worried that I am going to amount to nothing. I am going to go to a college for my bachelors in Information Technology..I'm not even sure if that's what I want. It is the only thing that I partially want. I am so confused in life right now.

and so are many more. Just do what you love. study it in school and your own time and your going to be there.

--------------------
Shroomery Composition Contest

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: The Drifter Thread [Re: Toddo]
    #5241140 - 01/30/06 04:07 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Im 20 and havent amounted to shit. ive just got lots of great stories..

Looks like things arnt going that great right now financially and i might barely make my rent - i might head off to Ocala in a week, on a whim from BC canada...

get around and explore your options. My friends dont "fit" me... i need to find ones who do.

Exploring new places is a great way to expand your mind and it makes future evolution and adaptation that much easier. Keeps ya on your toes.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinegluke bastid
Stinky Bum
Male User Gallery

#5241317 - 01/30/06 07:31 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

PDU said:
do you care if people perceive you as normal?

do you perceive drifting as a problem?\

No I don't care if people perceive me as normal. It's more that I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who is like this. I perceive it as a problem, for me, because I'm not happy about it. I keep moving because no place I go to feels like home or even feels like it has the potential to be home. The world feels empty to me...empty of people, empty of meaning, empty of opportunities for me to do something creative and positive and helpful. I keep moving because I feel trapped by this emptiness, and when I move at least I'm doing something.

But no, I don't really embrace the constant movement. It is more motivated by loneliness than anything else.

--------------------

- Thomas Paine

Offlinegluke bastid
Stinky Bum
Male User Gallery

Re: The Drifter Thread [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #5241321 - 01/30/06 07:33 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:
"insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results" -Einstein (probably not word for word).

cant run away from yourself.

I also see this as a prominent theme in the life of the "Artist". It is laziness.... refusal to really work in a trade or craft in the hopes that one day you can sit back, drink martinis at noon and splach paints on a canvas on your whim.
While that isnt impossible to attain in this society, it is impractical.

Everyone is an artist, even accountants have to creativly crunch numbers. I am a FOH/monitor engineer and I make my work my art.... its just dealing with the people that sucks.
Dont try to make your art your job, make your job your art.

Well I think there is some truth to this, but I don't really fantasize about being lazy and not working. I love to work hard, I just don't like working hard at meaningless crap in order to make some asshole rich.

--------------------

- Thomas Paine

Offlinegluke bastid
Stinky Bum
Male User Gallery

Re: The Drifter Thread [Re: Senor_Doobie]
    #5241331 - 01/30/06 07:38 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Senor_Doobie said:
Maybe you gotta figure out what you are really running from.  The stable communities you say you crave are out there, you gotta pick one if you want to....the more places you see the better the choice you can make, who knows man, maybe its like love and you won't know it until its in your face, maybe you just haven't found a place worth commiting to, that doesn't mean it isn't out there.

If you're into the arts, what about Frisco?

Been to Frisco already. And LA. I've already exhausted the California dream  :grin:

But I think maybe you're right in the rest of your quote. Maybe I just am looking for something specific and haven't found it yet. I've only been out of college for less than two years. I feel like I'm closer to knowing what direction I'm going in than I used to.
I'm also thinking that the cities I've tried to live in are too big and expensive. Maybe I need something smaller.

--------------------

- Thomas Paine

OfflineYoschie99
nomad
Male

Loc: center of earth
    #5241341 - 01/30/06 07:43 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

one of my favorite quotes from kerouac.. sorry if i miss a word or two.. i just noticed you have a quote from dharma bums in your sig.

"we were all delighted. we all just realized, we were leaving confusion and nonsense behind and performing or one noble function of the times. MOVE!"

there is something to be said for the conviction it takes to put your life to the wind w/out fear of where you'll land... i personally think it's a great way to learn about yourself...

you probably just need to stay in one place long enough to gain a few years of steady work experience somewhere... that's what i'm doing right now. it will only help when you find it's time to move again... you will have a better history to take with you to the next stop, allowing you to find a job you enjoy more easily...

it's all just manipulating your circumstances to fit your personal lifestyle.. you have to give in some areas and take in some... just as long as you know what you have in mind for the next step you can continue to progress in life.

make any sense?

yos-

Offlinemichael_lifshitz
Student
Male User Gallery

Loc: here
    #5241345 - 01/30/06 07:45 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

You just need to find peace and love and harmony within instead of seeking it outside of you.

But that is a very hypocritical thing for me to say.

But I think it is the truth.

However, seeing the world and new things is a wonderful thing.

Offlinegluke bastid
Stinky Bum
Male User Gallery

Re: The Drifter Thread [Re: Yoschie99]
    #5246307 - 01/31/06 10:48 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Yoschie99 said:
one of my favorite quotes from kerouac.. sorry if i miss a word or two.. i just noticed you have a quote from dharma bums in your sig.

"we were all delighted. we all just realized, we were leaving confusion and nonsense behind and performing or one noble function of the times. MOVE!"

there is something to be said for the conviction it takes to put your life to the wind w/out fear of where you'll land... i personally think it's a great way to learn about yourself...

you probably just need to stay in one place long enough to gain a few years of steady work experience somewhere... that's what i'm doing right now. it will only help when you find it's time to move again... you will have a better history to take with you to the next stop, allowing you to find a job you enjoy more easily...

it's all just manipulating your circumstances to fit your personal lifestyle.. you have to give in some areas and take in some... just as long as you know what you have in mind for the next step you can continue to progress in life.

make any sense?

yos-

Wise words my friend, thanks for cheering up this gluke bastid.

--------------------

- Thomas Paine

Invisiblerod
Ψ
 User Gallery

#5246349 - 01/31/06 10:55 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I Dont think theres anything wrong with you. How can someone find
theirself, if they never go looking for it.
Variety is the spice of life.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom