Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerequieminadream
The ChainsawChihuahua
Male
Loc: Ventura County, CA
Re: A foolproof method for making Liquid culture [Re: faceyneck] * 1
    #5840651 - 07/09/06 10:21 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I see. So if I were to use the PF-Tek and instead of injecting the jars with Spores, I would inject it with this liquid culture and save a lot of that terrible waiting period?

Like I said, please forgive me for my newbieness. I've been up for the past 4 nights reading grow logs and tek guides and I'm trying to wrap my head around all of this.

--------------------
It's all part of my secret evil plan.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefaceyneck
Legitimate Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: upper body area
Re: A foolproof method for making Liquid culture [Re: requieminadream] * 1
    #5840904 - 07/09/06 11:35 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Its alright. We all have to learn sometime. I once posted a question about condensation, thinking that my humidity might be too low because there wasn't any condensation on the walls of my fruiting chamber!

I had completely forgotten that its just basic science: condensation comes from temperature difference.

So, as far as the liquid culture goes: it is MUCH faster that way than using spores. I personally see growth in under 48 hours, and I'm talking about growth that would normally take about a week with spores. I sort of cheat, though. I take a piece of colonized PF cake and put it in a half pint jar with water and a piece of glass, shake the shit out of it, and inject little pieces of mycelium that break off into the water. Works just as good.

--------------------
Anything posted here, is total bullshit.
My Meyers-Briggs Personality: INTJ
New growers, or anyone else just needing help; I'm always glad to help right here. :grin:

We give cultivation advice here. :super:

AMU Q & A - We're glad to help
My Doggy Door Greenhouse!          First Ever Shmuvbox Tek!          Do Manure Right!

Offlinesuperftp
Stranger
    #5841032 - 07/10/06 12:17 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

great tek man...after reading this thread it convinced me to do this tek instead of injecting spores into the PF jars....so like 2-3 ccs of spores into the LC jars?

Invisibleliamtheloser
Advanced Idiot
Male User Gallery
Re: A foolproof method for making Liquid culture [Re: superftp] * 1
    #5841053 - 07/10/06 12:23 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

yeah, i do 2-3ccs in all of my LC's, makes them grow faster when you use 3ccs, but you can make one with just 1cc. you'll love it... i've got growth in all my jars after 24 hours... LC's are fast

--------------------

Offlinebeatnicknick
The Innovator
Male User Gallery

#5841244 - 07/10/06 01:40 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

faceyneck said:
Its alright. We all have to learn sometime. I once posted a question about condensation, thinking that my humidity might be too low because there wasn't any condensation on the walls of my fruiting chamber!

I had completely forgotten that its just basic science: condensation comes from temperature difference.

So, as far as the liquid culture goes: it is MUCH faster that way than using spores. I personally see growth in under 48 hours, and I'm talking about growth that would normally take about a week with spores. I sort of cheat, though. I take a piece of colonized PF cake and put it in a half pint jar with water and a piece of glass, shake the shit out of it, and inject little pieces of mycelium that break off into the water. Works just as good.

Hey shit that's not a bad idea either, you get to skip the grow process... So there's really so far three different methods we have collectively come up with as good, simple variations to this already simple Tek.

--------------------
I don't think for myself. I think as though I'm explaining my thoughts to someone else. I'm concerned only for those listening.

OfflineCapless
Student
 User Gallery

Re: A foolproof method for making Liquid culture [Re: beatnicknick] * 1
    #5841579 - 07/10/06 07:10 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for your Tek I used it this morning in making an LC. Thanks much.

--------------------
http://www.toolband.com/
"... This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality.
Embrace this moment. Remember, We are eternal.
all this pain is an illusion...."

Offlinenoob_queb
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: A *beginner friendly* method for making Liquid Culture [Re: _OttO_] * 1
    #5841619 - 07/10/06 07:50 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Hello everyone,

My first attempt at using this TEK does not appear to be successful. I thought I would document what I've experienced so far, and continue to post as I attempt to resolve my problem in the hopes that it might aid someone else.

There are no signs of any contams. I still see what I believe are small clumps of spores - the kind of clumping you see in a syringe. If these are spores then I have to presume they were either dead in the syringe already (which had been unused and sitting in the fridge for about 2 months) or that they were killed somwhere in my process.

I used a PC to sterilize the honey water at 14 PSI for 30 minutes. For the time being I am ruling out carmelization as a problem. I have found information that tells me that the various sugars carmelize at well above 300 degrees Farenheit (except for processed white sugar). The manual that comes with my PC indicates that the temperature inside the PC only reaches 250 degrees at 15 PSI. I am presuming that honey does not fall in to the processed white sugar category. If someone with scientific knowledge about this knows better, please fill me in.

I can think of two areas where I may have gone wrong.

1. I flame sterilized the needle and may not have given it long enought to cool. This seems very possible - I basically forgot to let the needle cool. It cooled only during the time that I took off the foil and peeled back the tape I'd put over the hole to ready for inoculation.

2. I may have gone overboard by using a glove box leaving too much Oust lingering within which may have drifted into the jar.

The honey water contained about 2 teaspoons of honey and I used about 2 and a half CC's of syringe solution.

Here's what I'm doing to help ascertain the problem:

1. Yesterday, I inoculated 3 PF TEK jars with roughly 2 CC's each from the spore solution remaining in the syringe. If I start to see growth in these in a few days, then I'll know my syringe wasn't the problem. I inoculated these jars in a glove box. I flame sterilized the needle and let it cool for 10 minutes.

2. I removed the syringe from the glove box and as an afterthought decided to inject the remaining 1 CC+ in the syringe into my existing honey water jar (the one that hasn't shown any growth). In hind sight, this may not have been thought out well enough. But, if I start to see growth in this honey water and in the PF TEK jars inoculated above, then I think I can presume that the needle had not cooled enough in my first attempt with the honey water.

I hope this post is clear enough. I can't review it very will right now as I'm rushing out to work.

I welcome all respectful comments and ideas.

OfflineSDP
ChronicAficionado
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A *beginner friendly* method for making Liquid Culture [Re: noob_queb] * 1
    #5841659 - 07/10/06 08:36 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the GREAT tek! Just finished PC'ing my first batch of baby bottles! Im so excited! I've been eyeballing LC for a while, attempted some lame *other* method but never followed through... but this looks awesome! I cant wait to see some sweet sweet mycelia liquid floatin around!  :grin:  :thumbup: :mushroom2:

-SDP :bigjoint:

--------------------
Teonanacatl, open up my eyes
This sacrament, this prayer, beyond the world of lies
Guide me clearly through that which I dont understand
Give me strength to find the path
Help me fight any demons as you flow through me wholely
This is my prayer, that you protect me from evil, and bring me closer to peace
And open up my eyes, so i can see things as you do
Amen

Offlinebeatnicknick
The Innovator
Male User Gallery

Re: A *beginner friendly* method for making Liquid Culture [Re: SDP] * 1
    #5847680 - 07/11/06 04:47 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I made two LC's with mycelium that I dunked in h202 for it was full of bacteria, and there is a nice 1cmx1cm chunk of mycelium in each jar, and I'm just wondering, is it going to branch off into smaller, more suck-upable mycelium when it starts growing, or will that block just continue to grow?

I hope I didn't screw up.

--------------------
I don't think for myself. I think as though I'm explaining my thoughts to someone else. I'm concerned only for those listening.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: A *beginner friendly* method for making Liquid Culture [Re: beatnicknick] * 1
    #5847745 - 07/11/06 05:10 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

> I have found information that tells me that the various sugars carmelize at well above 300 degrees Farenheit

Carmelization doesn't usually cause much of a problem. It just darkens your LC and can cause precipitates to form, unless it's really bad.

Carmelization is not a specific reaction it is just a term used to describe heat producing darkening of sugars. As such, anytime you heat a sugar and it darkens, you have experienced "carmelization".

I would make sure your LC is in the 2-4% sugar range. 5cc(ml)/100ml is about 4%. 20 min should be long enough to sterilize your LC.

-FF

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A *beginner friendly* method for making Liquid Culture [Re: fastfred] * 1
    #5847748 - 07/11/06 05:11 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

> is it going to branch off into smaller, more suck-upable mycelium when it starts growing

Only if you shake it up. Otherwise it will just get larger.

-FF

Offlineajna
Hunter
Male

Loc: Qld, AUS
    #5847780 - 07/11/06 05:22 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks again Otto for your wisdom. it's taken me a while to get my shit together but my first LC attempt is underway, 24 hours in the incubator so far :wink: hopefully all goes to plan!

just a quick Q for someone; does the honey normally turn into a whitish sediment at the bottom of the jar, or is this the beginnings of mycelium already?

edit: here's a pic if it helps...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/voltaaa/100_5879.jpg

--------------------

what i'm listening to: http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/ajnachakra/

Edited by ajna (07/11/06 09:43 PM)

Offlinenoob_queb
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5848465 - 07/11/06 08:05 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the feedback FastFred.

I won't be concerned about carmelization anymore, but I will pay close attention to my honey/water ratio. I used two teaspoons for around 175 ml. It sounds as if I should ideally be using much less.

Could too much honey inhibit growth?

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A *beginner friendly* method for making Liquid Culture [Re: noob_queb] * 1
    #5848595 - 07/11/06 08:50 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

2 teaspoons is about 10 ml. For 175 ml of H2O that's not too far off.

> Could too much honey inhibit growth?

Yes. I don't know what the upper limit is, but too much can cause problems.

-FF

--------------------
It drinks the alcohol and abstains from the weed or else it gets the hose again. -Chemy

The difference between the substances doesn't matter. This is a war on consciousness, on our right to the very essence of what we are. With no control over that, we have no need to speak of freedom or a free society. -fireseed

"If we are going to have a war on marijuana, the least we can do is pull the sick and the dying off the battlefield." -Neal Levine (MPP)

I find the whole "my drug should be legal but yours should be illegal" mindset disgusting and hypocritical. It's what George Bush and company do when they drink a cocktail and debate the best way to imprison marijuana users. -Diploid

Offlinenoob_queb
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5851905 - 07/12/06 07:25 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

OK, here's an update to my entry a few posts up:

About 3 & 1/2 days after squirting another 1 CC+ into my week old and apparently lifelesse honey water, there are still no visible signs of growth.

In the meantime, the 3 PF Tek jars I inoculated (same syringe in all cases) at the same time are showing the beginnings of what I believe to be mycellium growth. I don't state that emphatically because I have a question about one of the jars. A patch of mycellium in this jar (say about an 1/8 of an inch wide) is radiating out from a couple of short, thin, black strands. I am guessing (and hoping) that those could be some spores that got bunched up together since they seem to have the tendency to clump up in the syringe. And since I forgot to agitate the syringe for the first jar I inoculated I thought it might be a possibility. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Anyway, presuming that I do have mycellium in my PF jars I can rule out the possibility that my honey jar isn't showing growth due to an inviable syringe. I think I can rule out the syringe being too hot on the first try as well. Which seems to point to a problem with the solution itself. Maybe I just over did it with the Oust in the glove box.

I may try just following this Honey Tek exactly as written (no PC and no glove box) and see if that produces a different result.

Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

Loc: Up Over
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A *beginner friendly* method for making Liquid Culture [Re: ajna] * 1
    #5853982 - 07/13/06 08:54 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ajna said:
Thanks again Otto for your wisdom. it's taken me a while to get my shit together but my first LC attempt is underway, 24 hours in the incubator so far :wink: hopefully all goes to plan!

just a quick Q for someone; does the honey normally turn into a whitish sediment at the bottom of the jar, or is this the beginnings of mycelium already?

edit: here's a pic if it helps...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/voltaaa/100_5879.jpg 

Yeah man, I do tend to get a bit of sediment - but it looks pretty heavy in your pic.

I think that the clearer the honey you choose to start with, the better. Try it anyway - should be ok.

OfflineWeebl8bob
Psychonaut
Male
Loc: Ohio (USA) Flag
    #5854786 - 07/13/06 01:55 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Okay, i am starting my first LC today... Using 10mL of agave necter (instead of honey) for 100mL of water
When sterilizing i forgot to put the foil on for the first 10 mins but it still looks the same colour as when i first stirred the agave necter in...
Hope this turns out well!

--------------------
"You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offlineajna
Hunter
Male

Loc: Qld, AUS
Re: A *beginner friendly* method for making Liquid Culture [Re: Weebl8bob] * 1
    #5855428 - 07/13/06 05:50 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

cheers mate, the honey i used was the cloudy kind i believe but hopefully it will still be good to use. see how it looks in a couple more days :cool:

--------------------

what i'm listening to: http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/ajnachakra/

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A *beginner friendly* method for making Liquid Culture [Re: ajna] * 1
    #5855550 - 07/13/06 06:33 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

> Okay, i am starting my first LC today... Using 10mL of agave necter (instead of honey) for 100mL of water

What would make you think that "agave necter" would work?

Fructose does not work well. It will almost certainly fail. Picking some random sweetner and hoping it will work is not a good way to start your first LC.

-FF

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5855558 - 07/13/06 06:35 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Just to head you off at the pass... Don't try nutrasweet or sweet & low. They won't work either.

-FF

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract