Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinerajisus228
Loc: Jerzee
help with rye tek
    #522849 - 01/16/02 10:03 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Hey, i followed the rye tek from Lilshopofspores.com. i bought BALL wide mouth jars, and filled each up with 200gm of organic rye grain, and 150 ml of water and let the sit overnight for the water to absorb into the grain. the only problem is they've been sittin for about a week now.would i have to start over before pressure cookin them? or can i still procee? the 3 jars' lids have been tight, and there is one hole in the center of each lid, covered with masking tape. please help anyone? also, i jus harvested mah first two babies ever :) successful in mah first try, thanks to pf tek and this forum and lilshopofspores. thanks guys. shroom on.
peace,
raj

* of course, this is all hypothetical ;) *

--------------------
* of course, this is all jus hypothetical :smile: *

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineElektrolurch
enthusiast
Loc: Germany
Re: help with rye tek [Re: rajisus228]
    #523110 - 01/17/02 03:51 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Did you sterilize them and let them for one week without incoulation?
Or did you let them soak for 1 week (the rye would have germinated long time ago)?

I don't recommend to resterilize, because the rye consistence changes a lot and you would get a clump of rye and not something shakeable (the actual purpose of using rye). Also many of the nutrients would be destroided by the second sterilization. I would inoculate them and hope that it works, before I would throw them away without giving it a chance.

For the future: You should always incoulate as soon as the rye has cooled down to room temperature.

Elektrolurch

p.d. BTW this isn't really a "Advanced Cultivation" question, you could also have posted this one in "Mushroom Cultivation".

--------------------
"For all the time spent in that room
The doll's house, darkness, old perfume
And fairy stories held me high on
Clouds of sunlight floating by.", Pink Floyd '67

Offlinerajisus228
Loc: Jerzee
Re: help with rye tek [Re: Elektrolurch]
    #523430 - 01/17/02 01:01 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

wutup,
sorry about that. (not being really an "advanced question." nah, i haven't pressure cooked em yet. i jus put the grain and water in the jars, then i let em sit. and they've been sittin for about a week now. should i proceed and sterilize? or jus do it all over again? and why or why not? kay, thanks a lot i appreciate it.
peace,
raj

--------------------
* of course, this is all jus hypothetical :smile: *

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #523500 - 01/17/02 02:19 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Dump them and start anew.
Soak them for at most 24 hours, shorter if they are beginning to sprout.

OfflinejokerGD
interestedindividual
Loc: Earth
    #523537 - 01/17/02 03:31 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Hey,

As far as RYE Tek. I would HIGHLY recommend Micron Magick Filter Disks. This guy sells them, Micron Magick.

The filters are absolutely amazing, order some from him and help him out, as well as get yourself probably the best advantage, the power to harness rye.

The tek on that page is great, here's my quick summary of it with my observations.... simmer the grains for 40-45 mins (or more if you want) always mixing it, watching it, and adding water so to keep the top of the grains covered. Not necessary to stick to any water/grain ratio, just make sure whatever you're cooking the top of the grains has at least 1/2inch of water over them, of course try and use only spring water.

Watch for grains starting to pop, if you see too many popped, your crop wont be destroyed, however before even innoculating, you'll already have an obstacle to get over -> clumping/sicky crap.

Anyway, try not to boil them over. After the simmering is done, throw them into a pasta strainer/colander/cheesecloth, whatever you want. Cover them up with fresh Aluminum foil while they're draining. Let them drain for apx 20 mins. Take jars, and fill them up to apx 70%, thats what i do, the more you put the more difficult it will be to shake them up later, but you will also have more spawn, weigh your options.

Load up the jars, pressure cook with one fiter on and the lid upside down, lightly. Pressure cook for 60 mins at 15 psi, of course countdown starts after reaching 15 psi.

I usually rapidly cool the pressure cooker, and take the jars out and put them into a safe, draft free environment. Let them cool overnight.

Innoculate with any type of medium, everything works great.

That URL again -->
Micron Magick

My success with this method -->
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Pictures&Number=500385&Forum=All_Forums&Words=jokerGD&Match=Username&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=500385

-joker

Offlinesponzere
Loc: Michigan
    #523726 - 01/17/02 07:52 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i also use micron magick's method of preparing the rye but i add a little twist. i simmer the grain for 45 minutes and then strain and rinse but i don't let it sit, i just get most of the water out. i then add enough worm castings to soak up all the access water. after this is done, instead of using quart jars, i put a shitload of this substrate into a filter patch bag. i love these bags, you can put so much substrate into them and i have yet to have any problems with contams after 10 bags. i only fill the bags up about 1/4 of the way but it's still worth 2 or 3 quart jars at least. i innoculate with a spore syringe, and it takes about 15 days to fully colonize. then case with 50/50 and you're money.

happy shroomin

--------------------
"If god didn't exist, man would invent him."
-Plato

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology