Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
Measuring the % alcohol of distilled spirits
    #5191390 - 01/17/06 02:47 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

If I remember correctly, the best way to do this is measuring the specific gravity. I seem to remember that there is a culinary apparatus that measures this for candy making or some shit. Anyways what is it called, how exactly do you measure it, and is this the best way?

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePinback
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: Measuring the % alcohol of distilled spirits [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #5191418 - 01/17/06 02:55 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrometer, also note that it can be called an alcoholometer.

Invisibleshamantra
hobbyethnobotanist

Loc: ¯\(º_o)/¯
Re: Measuring the % alcohol of distilled spirits [Re: Pinback]
    #5191654 - 01/17/06 03:55 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

or alcometer. i have severals and can trade one if intrested

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Re: Measuring the % alcohol of distilled spirits [Re: shamantra]
    #5192399 - 01/17/06 07:29 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

So does the one(s) you have have the scale written out so that you can easily tell the % of alcohol? I was thinking that it would be alot more complicated than that!

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Invisiblekoppie
astral projectile
Male

Loc: cloud hidden
    #5197894 - 01/19/06 04:47 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

The problem with a hydrometer is that you need a large quantity of liquid for it to float in.

If you want to measure the content of small quantities, you could always use a vinometer, which uses a capillary tube to measure alcohol percentage.

These usually only go up to 30%, so you may have to dilute your sample before measuring, and calculating the original percentage from that, say dilute to 50% by adding an equal amount of distilled water and doubling the reading you get on the meter.

vinometer

It is less accurate than a hydrometer, but you usually only need to know within 5%.

Edited by koppie (01/19/06 05:03 AM)

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Re: Measuring the % alcohol of distilled spirits [Re: koppie]
    #5199871 - 01/19/06 06:23 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Oh, if all goes well I will have ppplleenntty of fluid to float it in. I'm hoping to get at least 2 gallons of 95% shit. Did anybody say White Lightning? That's not the end product though, just a base...

--------------------
-Stephen Hawking

OfflineTrunkspace
Televangelist

#5199968 - 01/19/06 06:47 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

What kind of still will you be running?

--------------------

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
    #5200427 - 01/19/06 08:49 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

doesn't really matter what percepentage you get if you cut it you will end up with the same amount of alcomahol in the long run. do you plan to strip it or put it through carbon filter?

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Invisiblekoppie
astral projectile
Male

Loc: cloud hidden
    #5201790 - 01/20/06 06:31 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

In my experience, if you can light it, it's strong enough. Just dilute it to taste. :crazy2:

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Re: Measuring the % alcohol of distilled spirits [Re: koppie]
    #5202427 - 01/20/06 11:23 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Well I'm going to be using a 1.5 liter tabletop reflux still. I found the one I'm going to get on E-Bay for $160. I have about 10 gallons of mash that has been fermenting for a few months it's 50lbs of sugar boiled into water with a bottle of molasis added. I'm going to distill that and add as many bottles of Golden Grain as I can afford. I'll run that through some carbon, distill it run it though some more, and distill it again. I think it was a year or so ago some one posted a section of a document from the School of Medicine in Paris about the fabrication of liquers. The section he posted was on making Absinthe. Thank God it was translated into English. Anyways I found my recipie there. It basically calls for you to water it down to 70% for the maceration process because apparently some of the herbs will harden and not release all of their flavor and such if you add too high of a proof to it. SO you add whatever fraction of water and then the alcohol. The way that they were saying to do it is run your still at a low temp for 24 hours with the herbs soaking in the alcohol. My still isn't that big so I was going to do that part in my pressure cooker. Then you distill it, reduce it to 70% (or lower in some recipies) But it said that a 70% product would be self clarifing. It was talking about using a licorice powder made from pulverising it, flash boiling it, draining/drying it, and then agitating it in your product. It said that could be done in the place of or in conjunction with barrel aging. Anyways there it is.

--------------------
-Stephen Hawking

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

#5202604 - 01/20/06 12:26 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I have an alcoholometer. Vinometers work rely on surface tensions too and are not very accurate for spirits at all.

To get a high % use very little power. I have got over 95% before.

If you have an accurate thermometer you can tell the % from the vapours in the column

Edited by blackout (01/20/06 12:28 PM)

OfflineTrunkspace
Televangelist

Re: Measuring the % alcohol of distilled spirits [Re: blackout]
    #5204125 - 01/20/06 07:51 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Isn't it going to take FOREVER to distill 10 gallons with 1.5 liter? What is the wattage? Then again, with a smaller volume it would probably heat quicker. All I know is it took afoaf aboout 6 hours to do 5 gallons in a 20-ish gallon reflux still...

--------------------

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Re: Measuring the % alcohol of distilled spirits [Re: Trunkspace]
    #5204176 - 01/20/06 08:06 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

if you want high % it is better and more effiecient to go low power in a insgle pass than multiple passes at high power. It is all there in www.homedistiller.org if you care to read it. I am not saying it is easy to grasp or understand but all the info is there

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Re: Measuring the % alcohol of distilled spirits [Re: Trunkspace]
    #5218347 - 01/24/06 04:00 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

It might take forever, but I don't have a life. I take that back, I do have a life but it mainly involves school books. Knowing that you are multitasking by learning and making Absinthe will making the studing less painfull. I'm getting the still mainly for solvents and such. Anyways the 1.5L is what I can afford. The 3L round bottom was about $300 I think. I wanted to know the % so I would know how much distilled water to add to take it down to 70%.

--------------------
-Stephen Hawking

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
    #5220133 - 01/24/06 11:51 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

its about a half the amount of water of what you brewed.

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

#5221414 - 01/25/06 11:34 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mr_minds_eye said:The 3L round bottom was about $300 I think.

for just a flask? or a complete fractional distillation setup?

check out www.brewhaus.com

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Re: Measuring the % alcohol of distilled spirits [Re: blackout]
    #5226626 - 01/26/06 03:58 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I think for just the flask although I don't remember to be honest. I liked that link alot, thanks. I was just thimking that glass would be the way to go so that I could use it for lab purposes.

--------------------
-Stephen Hawking

Edited by mr_minds_eye (01/26/06 04:08 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale