Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesudont
Stranger ThanFiction

Loc: Chicago
Slowed / Stopped Mycelial Growth
    #5206162 - 01/21/06 11:32 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Hi,
I'm concerned that I may be running into trouble, and need some advice. Let me first explain a bit about what I did.
I'm using the method outlined in the The Magic Mushroom Growers Guide Version 3.2. Rather than using brown rice flour, I ground my own from organic whole grain brown rice, using a blender. This "adaptation" calls for making a "coarse" flour. I wasn't quite clear about what that meant, so I just ground it to powder, figuring it would still be coarser than commercial flour. Should I have left some partial grains?
Also, it seemed to me that there wasn't much grain compared to vermiculite in the mix. Their formula was 2/3 cup vermiculite and 1/4 cup brown rice flour, and they recommended a bit more water for homemade flour: "You will need to increase the water from 1/4 cup per 1/2 pint jar by 1 and 1/2 tablespoons". Which I did. How does this sound to you?
I then over-inoculated the jars, (through four nail-holes in the lid), as this was my first batch and I wanted to insure success. I put the jars in a small aquarium, in a closet kept at 80?F by a small adjustable space-heater. After five days, it seemed to be going well, with white splotches all over the face of the jars. But now, eight days have passed and the growth has either stopped or slowed considerably. It's never really got to that fuzzy/ropy stage. It still looks kinda flat, if you know what I mean.
So, I'm wondering about a couple of things. This is Winter in the frozen North, so indoor humidity is very low. Should I be trying to maintain humidity at this stage? Do the jars contain enough food, given the above formula? Or should I just be a little more patient?
Thanks for your help!

--------------------
sudon't

sudo rm -R /*

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCapCaptain
V.I.T.R.I.O.L.

Loc: The Matrix
Re: Slowed / Stopped Mycelial Growth [Re: sudont]
    #5206190 - 01/21/06 11:51 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

There's no need to meddle with humidity at this stage, the jars have their own. About the rice, I did the same thing that you did, I've used the same guide by PF, and I've ground my own Brown Rice (and used a little more water). And also the same happened... they've stopped growing. After that I've turned the jars upside down and the growing was resumed.
BTW 80-82F is a perfect incubating temp. so you should be fine

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------

THERE IS NO SPOON
----------------------------------------------------
My first trip VVVVVVVV
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5240648/an/0/page/0

OfflineBMArts
Stranger
Re: Slowed / Stopped Mycelial Growth [Re: CapCaptain]
    #5206231 - 01/21/06 12:07 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

The reason that the myc shows slower growth later on is due to CO2 build up in the jars. Turning them over can help or just let them breath somehow...

--------------------
Everything I post on this board is pure fiction. Nothing in the post above is real. It is all made up...

May the source be with GNU

Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Slowed / Stopped Mycelial Growth [Re: BMArts]
    #5206255 - 01/21/06 12:14 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

BMArts said:
The reason that the myc shows slower growth later on is due to CO2 build up in the jars. Turning them over can help or just let them breath somehow...

It may be that that is all you need to do...but if the mycelium is looking flat/solid white/chalky..it could be drying out. That is the problem with using a space heater, it creates a lot of DRY heat, which can dry out your sub. During incubation, you don't really need to worry about humidity because the average room is at about 34%. Adding a space heater will greatly reduce that.

If you use a space heater, it has to be a good distance away from the jars...even then, I wouldn't recommend using it.....look into creating a TiT, or even incubating at room temp (70-73F) if you are not able to afford to make a tit.

dried out mycelium will look like you took a tub of white pant and panted your cakes....if that helps explain it.

Offlinekrill
absolute gonzo
Male

Loc: mars hotel
Re: Slowed / Stopped Mycelial Growth [Re: srgtm1a]
    #5206269 - 01/21/06 12:19 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

sounds like your water content is ok.
do you still have the masking tape over the nail holes in the lid?
what's the avg temp where the jars are?

--------------------
"DO NOT ADJUST YOUR MIND.  IT IS REALITY THAT IS MALFUNCTIONING." - Robert Anton Wilson

NO LEFT TURN UN-STONED

Offlinesudont
Stranger ThanFiction

Re: Slowed / Stopped Mycelial Growth [Re: krill]
    #5224131 - 01/25/06 11:04 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I didn't use tape over the holes, so I worried about losing humidity that way. I know the ambient humidity is very low because I'm having a hard time keeping my cigar humidor at the right humidity. Plus the space heater in the (large) closet where the cakes are doesn't help. The temp stays right at 80? though, and since my last post the growth has taken off again, thankfully.
Should I worry about jars drying out? Is there any "repair" should I think they're too dry? There is a plain vermiculite barrier in the jars.

--------------------
sudon't

sudo rm -R /*

Offlinesudont
Stranger ThanFiction

Re: Slowed / Stopped Mycelial Growth [Re: srgtm1a]
    #5224169 - 01/25/06 11:14 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

It's taken over most of the jars' sides, some is beginning to creep across the bottom a bit, but none of it looks rhizomorphic. It does look a bit flat, but the growth keeps moving. Does it sound like I'm ok, or what?

--------------------
sudon't

sudo rm -R /*

Offlinefungiamongi2
pharmer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Slowed / Stopped Mycelial Growth [Re: sudont]
    #5225659 - 01/26/06 11:34 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

sounds like you should be ok

--------------------
gonna bring her a kiss, make those blues run

Invisibletiny_rabid_birds
Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Loc: estados unidos
Re: Slowed / Stopped Mycelial Growth [Re: fungiamongi2]
    #5226049 - 01/26/06 01:22 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I believe it just looks flat because it's grown against the walls of the glass jar. If you case them, then you'd get to observe the "ropey" growth of mycelium.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract