Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Intuition
    #5225675 - 01/26/06 11:38 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Intuition. Where does it come from? My intuition tells me things are true even when I don't have enough evidence to make a logical conclusion based on the facts. Can it be trusted?

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Intuition [Re: Icelander]
    #5225682 - 01/26/06 11:40 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Can it be trusted?

Depends how good your intuition is. Does it have a good track record of being right?

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #5225693 - 01/26/06 11:42 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Intuition is thought to be the cognitive process of the limbic, or "old" brain. As it is not easily translated into words by our "new" brain (neocortex), it is experienced as a hunch, gut feeling, or intuitive sense.

It may be trusted as part of the input you consider when making a decision, but as it is communicated by a less-evolved part of our brain, IMO it is important to incorporate the cognition of our neocortex as well.

OfflineCherk
Fashionable
Male User Gallery

Loc: International Flag
    #5225702 - 01/26/06 11:44 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Maybe what links neural networks before they are physically connected  :confused: 

My intuition is usually right on if it's not actually a product of bad thought patterns in disguise.

--------------------
I have considered such matters.

SIKE

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Intuition [Re: Silversoul]
    #5225705 - 01/26/06 11:44 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
Quote:

Icelander said:
Can it be trusted?

Depends how good your intuition is. Does it have a good track record of being right?

Very good.

--------------------

Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

#5225708 - 01/26/06 11:45 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Intuition is different from opinion since opinion is based on experience. Intuition, on the other hand, is affected by previous experiences only unconsciously. It's also different from instinct, because instinct is not based on experience at all.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Intuition [Re: Cherk]
    #5225716 - 01/26/06 11:47 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Smoker For Peace said:
Maybe what links neural networks before they are physically connected  :confused: 

My intuition is usually right on if it's not actually a product of bad thought patterns in disguise.

How do you figure out which is which? Intuition would not be helpful if you were often fooled about when it was operating.

--------------------

OfflineCherk
Fashionable
Male User Gallery

Re: Intuition [Re: Veritas]
    #5225718 - 01/26/06 11:47 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I dig

--------------------

SIKE

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #5225732 - 01/26/06 11:51 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

The limbic system includes many different cortical and subcortical brain structures that differ depending upon which book is referenced. For ease of interpretation, this is a list of all the regions generally considered to be part of the limbic system:

Amygdala: Involved in aggression and fear;

Cingulate gyrus: Autonomic functions regulating heart rate and blood pressure as well as cognitive and attentional processing;

Fornicate gyrus: Region encompassing the cingulate, hippocampus, and parahippocampal gyrus;

Hippocampus: Required for the formation of long-term memories;

Hypothalamus: Regulates the autonomic nervous system via hormone production and release. Affects and regulates blood pressure, heart rate, hunger, thirst, sexual arousal, and the sleep/wake cycle;

Mammilary body: Important for the formation of memory;

Nucleus accumbens: Involved in reward, pleasure, and addiction;

Orbitofrontal cortex: Required for decision making;

Parahippocampal gyrus: Plays a role in the formation of spatial memory.

The limbic brain is clearly very important to our overall cognitive function! The trouble is that the old brain and new brain are not very well connected, and they don't "speak" the same language.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#5225738 - 01/26/06 11:52 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I think intuition is based on pattern recognition. I think this also explains why I feel more intuitive on psychedelics, as my ability to percieve patterns is enhanced(both visually and otherwise).

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#5225750 - 01/26/06 11:59 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

yes to the neural networks and yes to the pattern recognition.
intuition is the matching part of associative thought.
it happens nearly instantaneously.
it is different from discursive thought which is a sequence or dialog that can be staged in the mind.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineAkira
CosmicConsciousness
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hay Un Mundo Mas Alla
    #5225763 - 01/26/06 12:04 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

One man's intuition tells him that his reality tunnel vision is absolute truth. He is a Muslim man. Another man walking along intuitively thinks to himself, "he doesn't really believe the world works that way does he?" He then proceeds on his way to church.

I think we interpret intuition incorrectly most of the time.

--------------------

Orissa India Bulk Grow (Tub Tek)
Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek

"Our intention is our eternal fingerprint in the universe."

We know that God is good, and so are hamburgers and hot dogs. We know that hamburgers and hot dogs definitely do exist, so then by deduction of logic God too must also exist. Hamburgers + Hot dogs = God.... Duh

Edited by GodsEntelechy (01/26/06 12:05 PM)

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: Intuition [Re: Akira]
    #5225818 - 01/26/06 12:13 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

GodsEntelechy said:
One man's intuition tells him that his reality tunnel vision is absolute truth. He is a Muslim man. Another man walking along intuitively thinks to himself, "he doesn't really believe the world works that way does he?" He then proceeds on his way to church.

There are many things we misinterpret as intuition, such as wishful thinking, pessimism, or dogmatism. One must learn from experience to differentiate between these things.

--------------------

OfflineCherk
Fashionable
Male User Gallery

#5225876 - 01/26/06 12:32 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Quote:

Smoker For Peace said:

How do you figure out which is which? Intuition would not be helpful if you were often fooled about when it was operating.

The hard way is to fall on your ass over and over again.

I really like what paradigm said about this

"There are many things we misinterpret as intuition, such as wishful thinking, pessimism, or dogmatism. One must learn from experience to differentiate between these things. "

I don't think I really answered your question.  Maybe my brain is tired and will be refreshed after my DPT session in the woods today :crazy2:, or maybe I didn't think my original statement through thoroughly :blush:

--------------------

SIKE

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#5225946 - 01/26/06 01:00 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

people do use intuition to mean things that they don't want to be challenged by the regime of rational thought.

I would call that evasive intuition. or phony intuition, wishes could be included in that.

I would add that anything that fits into words easily is not really intuition. It may still be rational thought or at least discursive thought (played out on the stage of mind in words) but it is not rigorously rational, merely spilling forth out of the mind as it were.

otherwise for me intuition is really the flash stuff that you know in an instant, and my well have trouble articulating since it is not in words but in gestalt matches.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: Intuition [Re: redgreenvines]
    #5225993 - 01/26/06 01:08 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I didn't formally study math until I got to college (I was homeschooled), and I was marked down for not showing my work.  When I explained (or tried :tongue:) to the teacher that I didn't DO any work on paper, but arrived at my answers "directly," he gave me a fishy look.  "Just show the work you did to arrive at your answers."

Ermm...how do you write down the intuitive process?  I had to pretend that I needed to work the algebra problems step-by-step.

I guess math is not my subject. :wink:

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #5226254 - 01/26/06 02:15 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
Quote:

GodsEntelechy said:

There are many things we misinterpret as intuition, such as wishful thinking, pessimism, or dogmatism.  One must learn from experience to differentiate between these things.

:thumbup: Exactly! Once you learn how to distinguish which from what, you are less deceived into thinking something came from intuition when it didn't. My intuition is dead on and I trust it. It's not always easy to determine if my hunches came from intuition, wishful thinking or pessimism though.

Knowing yourself helps. Intuition usually stands out as directions going different from your usual patterns. Say you tend to shy away from something and when it comes up again, you hold back and say, "My intuition is telling me not to do it. That voice is probably just the one of a pessimism pattern. Like if you usually love doing something and it comes up again and you think a voice told you to go for it, that voice probably just came from your optimism thinking patterns.

Intuition speaks up for me, when for some reason, later learned from hindsight, its instructing me to NOT do what I normally would.

Thats one way I recognize its voice better.

Intuition is my guide for when it best serves me to break from patterned thinking.

Thats why a lot of people who get "sense/knowing" from it ignore it. It gives guidance that goes against the logical rational thinking patterns they personally developed to stay in a comfort zone and run on.

Intuitive guidance usually makes no apparent sense for doing something a different way from your norm. It only makes sense from hindsight if you become privy to more information later.

It may tell you to stay home from a party, all the while it saved you from a drunk driving accident and you'll never know. Sometimes, it brings you towards a better result or spares you from disaster and you do get to realize how it served you knowing what the alternative would've lead too. If you have enough history like that behind you, you learn to trust it.

The other way I have learned to distinguish it is that it comes from out of nowhere FAST. There was no time to think it up. It just hits your mind from out of the blue. If thinking was going on first related to something, it didn't come from intuition, it came form your normal thought patterns.

That's why people say to go with the first hunch "provided it came from intuition". The second one is just your normal thinking patterns trying to override it.

Intuition can be simplified to an understanding that its your subconscious mind paying attention to cues, and patterns that the limited awareness and patterns of your conscious mind don't allow for you to see.

I like how spud said it is not the same as instinct. Instinct is a part of preprogrammed reactions to various stimuli. Intuition runs outside of our programming and helps us to respond to stimuli our conscious programming didn't even recognize as a danger warning, a non threat that appears to be a threat or a "flashing light" to a better deal over there.

It's like the soupped up new and improved version of instinct that has a lot more safer driving and high performance handling capabilities.

:peace: :heart:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
Re: Intuition [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #5226638 - 01/26/06 04:00 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Intuition as guidance for our spotlight of attention ?
sounds good :thumbup:

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Intuition [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #5226670 - 01/26/06 04:07 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

My intuition is dead on and I trust it. It's not always easy to determine if my hunches came from intuition, wishful thinking or pessimism though.

Me no grok.  :confused:

Whenever your guess turns out right, it was intuition and when wrong it was from wishful thinking or pessimism? So intuition is merely a back-looking defined word?

BTW folks, as I have stated many times, I eat up poker and backgammon players who rely on esoteric influences (or non-data) to guide them.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlinevegitative
Stranger
Re: Intuition [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #5226677 - 01/26/06 04:09 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I remember reading an article on how our brains work, and the writer had this theory that when we're thinking about something or interpreting things, we constantly guess at what comes next and then compare what really happened to what we thought should happen and examine the differences. Which is what we then analyze for the next guess of what's going on, and so on and so forth (the thought process doesn't ever stop though). By his theory then, intuition would just be us analyzing our guesses of what should be happening, but not examing them against any hard evidence like we would with our visual process. So by that standard, no we couldn't trust intuition unless we knew what we were dealing with, I would say that if there are two options and one is to follow your intuitive response, and the other could go wrong, I would follow my intuition. When you have time to reason things out though, there are far better ways to go.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale