Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: Azurescens in the bay area????? Pics [Re: auweia]
    #5236786 - 01/28/06 10:44 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

sorry, I messed up on the quotes above...Quankus is quoted only at the 4th paragraph > Again auweia that really sucks that your >

yes, it's quite scary to find out how closely some people look at your photos, including the background..needless to say, I won't make that mistake twice, which means, it's your loss, followers of that background stuff :P

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #5240765 - 01/30/06 12:04 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

wow... nice azure finds!

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

OfflineGopal
Strange

Re: Azurescens in the bay area????? Pics [Re: tahoe]
    #5248059 - 01/31/06 06:47 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I am no expert, but I have picked azurescens extensively. In my opinion those look similar to azurescens, but not quite the same. The differences I notice are that the caps are lighter in color on drying than azurs, which tend to keep a more orangish tone to the cap than the specimens in the patch (although sun bleaching could be a factor). Another difference is the cap shape, the older azurs cap's will become plane and even slightly upturned with age, those seem to keep the downcurved cap margin. Also the umbo on the older caps doesn't look as broad at what one usually sees from azurescens. Finally, the bluing reaction just doesn't seem to have the intensity I would expect from azurescens. Having said that they could still be azurscens, the differences are minor and could be the result of acclimation to a new environment.

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: Azurescens in the bay area????? Pics [Re: Gopal]
    #5248154 - 01/31/06 07:06 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

well, I wanted to get a fresh one to the mycological society, but that's not going to happen now, and it may not happen for quite some time, if ever. Might have to wait another year or two if we're lucky and the mycelium didn't croak

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali, Contra Costa Co. Flag
    #5248198 - 01/31/06 07:13 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

did you make any sporeprints aweia?

--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: Azurescens in the bay area????? Pics [Re: sui]
    #5248247 - 01/31/06 07:20 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

yes I did, and I got that to the MSSF, but I only made one, and it wasn't that good of a print..But who knows, maybe they can do something with it....they were mostly over mature by the time I found out tho.

Also, from what I'm told, it's not easy to determine species like azurescens and cyanescens complexes microscopically, so even if the spores take off and the mycelium is saved, I think they still need to see fruits before they can say for sure.

That will take some time

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali, Contra Costa Co. Flag
    #5248271 - 01/31/06 07:23 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

i wanted to see if i could grow them indoors. and maybe get a couple fruits out of em. might happen before next season and we could do a little more research on em.

It would probobly take a good amount of time since i have no growing experience, but id spend however long it takes.

Could you maybe get a Myc sample for me?

--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

#5248297 - 01/31/06 07:29 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

also, as far as I can telll, I might be wrong tho, but people have told me this before..Azurescens has been around for a couple of years in the bay area, but privately, some have told me there are suspicions about whether that was planted from something like spores through the mail or something.

In other words, I can just about prove that this is wild, if only I can show them fruits in that spot..But the ones I left out there were picked by somebody else.

all I have right now is those photos. Even if I could transplant it, it just seems like it wouldn't be the same as seeing it in the original wild spot

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

#5251771 - 02/01/06 04:11 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I have encouraging news tho....The first bits of mycellium are starting to grow. :smile:

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
    #5252692 - 02/01/06 08:18 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I would think that they were brought down my a person then the spores flying here. they would have had to make stops all the way down the coast. As for this being a wild patch and do they grow wild here. I would have to say yes, and for sure this patch is wild. There are millions of better places to have a private azure patch then where these were. There was no shade, no sprinklers, very thin wood chips. There is also some good foot traffic from the Realtors placing signs up here. I picked up 6 smashed ones and there were caps everywhere from being kicked off.
But there are also people who fill up spray bottles with live mycelium and spray it onto wood chips whenever hes sees a suitable place.

here is more encouraging news.
Notice it growing on the outside of the card board

here it is mixed with the fresh wood chips.

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

#5252911 - 02/01/06 08:55 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

that's right..I can't imagine that place being planted...It is wild, and came through the air..Maybe from nearby, but maybe not, we'll never know.

Even people who spray - I wouldn't have done it right there..maybe further down, but not right there :P

are those cultures from that same spot?...because I'm doing the same thing..and another person as well...Still, MSSF is going to have to see fruits to determine species on this, and that might not happen until next season, unless they can do it earlier with a batch of mycelium.

I said early on I'm willing to share it. I have plenty anyway, but this still needs proper ID, because it sure isn't cyanescens or fibrillosa.

I'll feel more comfortable once I'm sure the mycelium is stable and propagated further, because you're right, people are trampling on it. I did see the real estate sign right there and I'm not suprised some were kicked.

There's plenty of places far better to put this. It's just going to take time, but at least it's a good start, and it hasn't become extinct, whatever the heck this thing is

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #5253058 - 02/01/06 09:22 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

It is highly likely that myc spread at the landscaping company that distributed the chips. Wild? it's a matter of degrees, not kinds, me thinks.

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: Azurescens in the bay area????? Pics [Re: shroomydan]
    #5253130 - 02/01/06 09:41 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I agree, that is also possible. If you think about they way people like Stamets propose to lay huge woodchip mats for old logging road recovery inoculated with saprophytes like these, see > http://www.fungi.com/mycotech/roadrestoration.html

Mycofiltration being spread all over in coming years, that might change the definition of hunting as well. If you think about it, I'm not even sure you could call that hunting anymore..More like a smorgasboard...You know, just drive up to the hills, and walk down one of those logging roads..I'll have a few of these, some of those...and a few of those over there for dessert, and don't forget to tip the waiter :P..

In that way, with the explosion of woodchip landscaping in the last few years, what exactly is the definition of 'wild'?.

Still, there are no sprinklers there, and it's obviously not somebody's backyard. It's adapted here without anybody's extra care, that's for sure, and not only that, for the 3 weeks leading up to the find, it was pretty warm too, averaging upper 50's and low 60's

That's actually one of the reasons why I puposly got a little background in the photos, to show that it wasn't in a backyard and fussed over, because people have told me that specimens have been seen before, but I sure haven't seen anything outside like that before, and I don't think anybody else has either, excpt for backyards..

Hard is I try to search online, I can't find any azures in the wild in the bay area...at least with photos

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

#5277481 - 02/08/06 01:00 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

This creature survives. Someday we may actually find out what it is  :peace:

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Loc: Osage Cuestas
Trusted Identifier
    #5277793 - 02/08/06 02:23 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

awesome! are you going to transfer some of that to a sterile environment or a patch?

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: Azurescens in the bay area????? Pics [Re: georgeM]
    #5277848 - 02/08/06 02:35 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

no need for sterile environment at this level. Cardboard is fine for now, like in the photo..Eventually, part of it is going to the SF mycological society, and the rest will be taken back outside somewhere and put in another woodchip area. I don't have a backyard myself

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

#5278495 - 02/08/06 05:28 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

a most vigourous strain.

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy

Teh=The
I need to proofread

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #5278590 - 02/08/06 06:05 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

if i lived in the area i would volunteer my back yard... and my front yard

:thumbup:

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Re: Azurescens in the bay area????? Pics [Re: georgeM]
    #5278923 - 02/08/06 07:25 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

they will grow in kansas

--------------------

My Legacy

Teh=The
I need to proofread

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #5282928 - 02/09/06 06:45 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah I know. In fact I have some rather special plans. The comparatively lush north eastern quadrant of the state has nearly a thousand documented fungi species and of course that number grows annually.  I'm hopping to increase this number by one or two.  :wink:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract