Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinemrsautoman
Don't DriveAngry
Female User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South
Re: could you survive? [Re: Rono]
    #5221291 - 01/25/06 10:48 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I know this is gonna make me sound like a housewife... but did you see Oprah yesterday?

It was all about the bird flu and how it could morph into an airborne human virus. Then this guy Dr. Michael Osterholm starts talking about how everyone is gonna get sick cause there's no vaccine... and once everyone gets sick and no one shows up for work the global economy grinds to a halt and BAM nobody has any electricity or food...

...this is all old hat stuff for amateur stoner theorists right? It just blew my mind that the 'average american citizenship' (aka Oprah viewers nationwide) had a chance to take an issue like this seriously.

It makes me wonder what was going through everybody's head, looking around at their nice cushy suburban homes with their half acre yards and Publix discount memberships...

I live in the boonies, I have a river, I have a well, I have guns, I have dogs, I have deers, and I'm not sure my family would make it.

--------------------

~I was born of a voice untimely,
the so-called echo of a man's ordure~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: could you survive? [Re: mrsautoman]
    #5221320 - 01/25/06 10:59 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

"I live in the boonies, I have a river, I have a well, I have guns, I have dogs, I have deers, and I'm not sure my family would make it."

I would say that you have a much better chance than most...hopefully you have somewhat of a community to there help eachother out if it comes down to it.

p.s....No...I didn't see Oprah.  :wink:

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #5221336 - 01/25/06 11:07 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I give myself a 50/50 chance of survival if I am given a week or two to prepare myself.

If such a thing happens totally unexpectedly, I'd lower my chances to 20-30% survival. At that point I might have to toss out my passive nature.

My goals would (and will) be:
1) Shelter - you will die within hours without proper shelter
2) Water - you will die within days without fresh water
3) Food - you will die within weeks without food

Above all this is the MAJOR requirement to get at least 3 days walking distance from any city or large towns - 3 days being the expected time/distance a starving person could walk before they run out of energy.

Next I would need to find some others to group up with, as group survival (provided it's not too large of a group) is almost certainly much more feasible than going it alone.

I ever tell you how cool you are, Rono? :grin:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineMisterMyco
Myco-fanatic
Male

Re: could you survive? [Re: psyka]
    #5221342 - 01/25/06 11:08 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

psyka said:
I think the biggest threat will be your neighbors. The number 1 thing to do on my list, would be to get away from people ASAP. When the shit settles, attempt to reach out towards fellow survivors and go tribal.

Where I live, all of my neighbors are into "survival" as well. By this I mean they have wood stoves and harvest their own firewood, they have firearms for defense and hunting, we all have wells for water and, best of all, we are all good friends. We'd band together and do what we needed to do. Also, fossil fuels wouldn't magically disappear, they'd just be harder to get. I have 600 gallons of heating oil stored in my house and I never let it run under 400 gallons. We'd just grab our guns, find someone with a big tanker truck of gasoline hwo didn't have guns, and then we'd have the guns and the gasoline.

MAdMaX!

--------------------
"I have never, in all my life, not for one moment, been tempted toward religion of any kind. The fact is that I feel no spiritual void. I have my philosophy of life, which does not include any aspect of the supernatural."
Isaac Asimov

Offlinemrsautoman
Don't DriveAngry
Female User Gallery

#5221347 - 01/25/06 11:10 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hopefully you have somewhat of a community to there help eachother out if it comes down to it.

That's what I need the guns for. To keep all those people from taking my stuff.

It would be be dicey for us. Most people around here have their own resources just like we do, so I can see how we might all bond together to lighten our load. Then again half of our neighbors are feuding in some small way with the other half, and my concern is that those disagreements might cause some hostility.

That's why when I saw that TV show the first thing I asked my husband was 'where's the guns at'?

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #5221388 - 01/25/06 11:26 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

You have put your finger on the reason that you might want to head out. You know how humans are. :wink: I wouldn't necessarily count on them laying down their differences in a survival situation. In fact without laws you might just see some old scores being settled. Also the nastiest guy might just want to be leader.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlinemrsautoman
Don't DriveAngry
Female User Gallery

Re: could you survive? [Re: Icelander]
    #5221425 - 01/25/06 11:38 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

You have put your finger on the reason that you might want to head out. You know how humans are. I wouldn't necessarily count on them laying down their differences in a survival situation. In fact without laws you might just see some old scores being settled. Also the nastiest guy might just want to be leader.

So I should start taking a basket of muffins around to each of my neighours right now before the shit goes down?

What would be the right strategy for making sure my acerage is protected? Should I try to protect all of it or only my immediate vicinity?

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#5221544 - 01/25/06 12:23 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

protecting property would be a pretty dangerous situation. If anyone thinks you got something good then you're a sitting target. You would need a lot of firepower. Do you really want to live like that?

That's another reason I would head for someplace in the hills ( although you may not have that option where you live.) It would be a nasty business this survival stuff if the whole thing went bad. I personally don't want my last days on earth to be about killing people.

Being on good terms with the neighbors is a plus. But not if you have to suck up to people you really don't like or trust. That's just fear based slavery. I would rather be shot. If you have friends you can trust with your life then you got what you need. Otherwise...

--------------------

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
    #5221828 - 01/25/06 01:54 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

yall are all crazy man, if that situation ever happened its every man for himself and I would not be ashamed to loot what I needed to survive(Necessities only of course)from all the abandoned stores and houses and factories, and warehouses, that arent going anywhere from lack of electricity. The whole of our civilazaiton becomes one big ass tool kit. I can build a fire, and I have shotguns for killing birds, and rifles for deer, and pistols for people. I live in the country, and I know the area very well what plants are good and which ones are poison, how to track deer and hog, Hell there are bout oh IDK 7 or 8000 cattle in a 30 mile radius from my home id think. I know people people all around here and im welcome in all their homes as they are in mine. we have a river in our town(id definately boil it first its not exactly the cleanest of rivers, tho after a few days it would run clear again.) I can fish for huge ass catfish in the river too. I got about 500 good pot seeds right now. What more do you need man?

The smartest thing to do in that situation is to just sit tight for as long as you can let all the really crazy, and paniced people, end up getting themselves killed or lost, or maybe if their lucky they will make it through and calm their pansy asses down. Either way I wouldnt want to be out the first couple days after that, it will be mass confusion adn no one will be willing to fully realize their situation. People will come around tho and be a little more rational if you give them time.

you make it seem like suvival is an impossible task, the hardest part will be to not get shot by some crazy ass mutherfucker like you guys, but its a small town and I'm pretty sure most people here would get along just fine together. Then again this is Texas and it might have its problems but you arent going to find friendlier people in the entire US in this sort of situation.

If you live in a city well thats a whole different story, but its your own fault for being a part of such a fragile society in first place.

Yall might think I'm crazy but I kinda wish somethiing like this would happen, I would much prefer it to fake ass way we live now. Even if i dont live as long as I would have in my comfy house it would be a better life. Imagine the FREEDOM man. cant beat that. peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: could you survive? [Re: blaze2]
    #5221842 - 01/25/06 01:57 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I predict that loudmouth braggarts will be the first to get scared and die.

--------------------

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#5221896 - 01/25/06 02:11 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I predict that hot shot city slickers, who think they are better informed because they "attened survival training" read this as boy scout camp folks, will be the first to die.

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#5221905 - 01/25/06 02:14 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Who lives in the city?

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
    #5221911 - 01/25/06 02:16 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

blaze2 said:
I predict that hot shot city slickers, who think they are better informed because they "attened survival training" read this as boy scout camp folks, will be the first to die.

How about military survival training for a week in the Canadian Rockies armed with nothing but a knife.
...apparently your Boy Scout camps are alot tougher than ours....

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #5221912 - 01/25/06 02:16 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

His imaginary version of you. :rolleyes:

Is high school out for the day already??  Maybe the study hall has internet access.

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#5221917 - 01/25/06 02:19 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Maybe you do maybe you dont doesnt matter. someone who lives in the lap of luxury and has to go to "survival training" to feel like they could survive, is a city slicker. Even a yankee from teh north who lives in the woods is a city slicker to a Texan. Have you ever been to Texas?

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#5221920 - 01/25/06 02:20 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

fucker im 21 thats well past high school.

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#5221926 - 01/25/06 02:21 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

How do you know I have lived in the lap of luxury? If you're swinging wild trying to land a punch you aren't their yet.

Isn't bush from Texass. :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#5221930 - 01/25/06 02:22 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

blaze2 said:
fucker im 21 thats well past high school.

:rofl2:

--------------------

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#5221932 - 01/25/06 02:22 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

How about military survival training for a week in the Canadian Rockies armed with nothing but a knife.
...apparently your Boy Scout camps are alot tougher than ours....

why why why would you do that? That is simple idiocy man. You arent rambo and i assume you have guns you arent going to run around and only use a knife are you? nope dont act like you are. Things are not as hard as your rambo camp tought you. DOnt say ill run out of ammo either I got a hand loader and there are ways to make your own gunpowder. Id have to look it up but its in a book somewhere books are going anywhere.

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: America
    #5221937 - 01/25/06 02:25 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

yea, my dad hunts deer with bow on our land. Meet, and wood for fire, or coal. I could learn the teqnique from him and then survive.

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies