Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinerun_rabbit_run
people arestrange

Protien(for anyone that worksout)
    #5219683 - 01/24/06 09:19 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Does anybody know how long it(generally)takes to see results form taking protien along with woking out Iv been working out for about 2 months and Im already seeing results but I just started taking protien today so how long untill that starts helping as well also should I take it everyday or just after every workout?

--------------------
If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJaimie
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Canada
Re: Protien(for anyone that worksout) [Re: run_rabbit_run]
    #5219771 - 01/24/06 09:48 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I work out some, but I'm a female, so perhaps not after the same results as you are. From a biochemical viewpoint though, I wouldn't suggest overdoing the protein. I've seen some helpful little calculators online that set a good amount. I think it's like 60 grams or so, depending on sex and age and stuff.

Protein has so much nitrogen and nitrogen breakdown is super tough on the liver. Ammonia is a product of the reaction and it's toxic and can even affect your brain. Your precious brain cells! You can also get dehydrated, weakened bones, damaged kidneys and other bad things. Some even say cancer (but they do for everything).

Heh, I'm a little obsessed with protein. Mostly because I don't eat meat and people are always bugging me..."You can never get enough protein on that diet"..."You're going to be so weak and pathetic"...and so on..ha ha

Good luck with working out and sorry for not answering the question! :grin:

--------------------

Sitting in the silent twilight rapture
Could it be too hard to capture
This velvet moment of serenity

Invisibledr_gonz
. [Re: Jaimie]
    #5219783 - 01/24/06 09:50 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

OfflineJaimie
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Canada
Re: Protien(for anyone that worksout) [Re: dr_gonz]
    #5219797 - 01/24/06 09:54 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

"A woman over 19 needs between 45-50 grams of protein a day. A man over 19 needs 58 - 63 grams of protein a day. And these requirements are much higher than the World Health Organization and many nutritional researchers believe. The average American male eats 125 grams of protein a day!"

-some website(reliable source I know! :P)

I can't say I know for sure, but from what I've read online and in books and from things taught to me through formal education in chemistry, biochemistry, biology, etc, it just seems like a bad idea to eat too much protein.

You will look muscular though. But looks are not everything!  :grin:

--------------------

Sitting in the silent twilight rapture
Could it be too hard to capture
This velvet moment of serenity

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
    #5219969 - 01/24/06 10:46 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Protein is only one component of the equation. Although supplementing is a good idea when trying to gain muscle, it shouldn't be the main focus of your diet.

I can't tell you how important eating a well planned diet is to muscle growth. I have trained on and off for 10 years. I had my training regimen down pat and consumed my protein shakes religiously after working out. My diet wasn't perfect, but I thought I was doing ok, at least during the week. On the weekends I would find myself slacking off but figured it wouldn't affect me too much. The results were coming, but slow.

After talking to some people and reading more, I resolved to get serious about my diet. Once you do, you'll be amazed at how fast the results come when paired with proper routine. In less than 2 months I gained around 10 lbs of lean muscle while losing fat. Everyone around me noticed and even a few of my friends were convinced I started juicing.

I've tried nearly every supplement in the book and none have compared in effectiveness to the proper diet.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Invisibleeligal
Noobie

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California
Re: Protien(for anyone that worksout) [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #5219973 - 01/24/06 10:48 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

so what is the proper diet?

--------------------
\m/ Spanksta \m/

"do you have the freedom to do with your nervous system what you want?"

"MolokoMilkPlus said:
I'll respect you if you let me give you a blow job"

"tactik said:
respect the can."

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: Protien(for anyone that worksout) [Re: eligal]
    #5220062 - 01/24/06 11:16 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Just saw your post when I was about to head to bed, so not enough time to explain in-depth and there really is no easy answer. You want to get the proper ratio of protein/carbs/fat for your specific needs at the necessary caloric intake and also ensure your consuming the meals at the right times to create the perfect environment to facilitate efficient muscle growth.

Many factors go in to determining that. Your body composition, your goals, lifestyle, body type (IE. ectomorph, endomorph, etc.) and probably some that are escaping me right now. Do some searching and I'll try to get back tomorrow with some links for you.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Protien(for anyone that worksout) [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #5220179 - 01/25/06 12:12 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I'd say that consuming around 100g of protein a day wouldn't be so bad for woman. I mean you have breakfast, a snack, lunch, go through your day and eat a good dinner... maybe a shake somewhere in the mix and you've easily hit whever goal that you have set out

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Loc: The Shire
Re: Protien(for anyone that worksout) [Re: browndustin]
    #5221519 - 01/25/06 12:13 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Dude you can put on like 2-3 lbs a week if you workout big and eat big. You will notice that you're ripped after only a week.

--------------------
Smoking my hobbit leaf...
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

Offlinecookeman
Live and let live
Male User Gallery

Re: Protien(for anyone that worksout) [Re: The_Hobbit]
    #5221563 - 01/25/06 12:32 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hobbitcg said:
Dude you can put on like 2-3 lbs a week if you workout big and eat big. You will notice that you're ripped after only a week.

2-3 lbs of what though? Who wants 2-3 of fat? If you're saying 2-3 lbs. of muscle, that's insane. 2-3 lbs of muscle on steroids is pretty tough. Protein plays a vital part of gaining muscle, but don't over do it. Too much protein can really damage your kidneys. Also drink a lot of water. If for some reason you want to look really cut up for a little while, cut down on your water. Not too long though, for obvious reasons. good luck. there's plenty of calculators out there for protein intake. 1 gram per lb is too much. stick with .8 or lower

--------------------
“Let’s put it this way – to lump psychedelic mushrooms into the same group as methamphetamine is like lumping the Bible into the same group as Mein Kampf.
I mean shit; they’re both books, right?”

Joe Rogan

R.I.P. - "Bones" - One of the greatest people I've ever had the pleasure of getting to know and become friends with.

Invisibleeligal
Noobie

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California
    #5221760 - 01/25/06 01:34 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hobbitcg said:

uhm, steroids?

--------------------
\m/ Spanksta \m/

"do you have the freedom to do with your nervous system what you want?"

"MolokoMilkPlus said:
I'll respect you if you let me give you a blow job"

"tactik said:
respect the can."

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Re: Protien(for anyone that worksout) [Re: cookeman]
    #5222664 - 01/25/06 05:50 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

cookeman said:
Quote:

hobbitcg said:

2-3 lbs of what though? Who wants 2-3 of fat? If you're saying 2-3 lbs. of muscle, that's insane. 2-3 lbs of muscle on steroids is pretty tough. Protein plays a vital part of gaining muscle, but don't over do it. Too much protein can really damage your kidneys. Also drink a lot of water. If for some reason you want to look really cut up for a little while, cut down on your water. Not too long though, for obvious reasons. good luck. there's plenty of calculators out there for protein intake. 1 gram per lb is too much. stick with .8 or lower

I dunno exactly, but I know that in my first few weeks of working out I gained numbers like that. Probably some was muscle, a little fat, and some water weight.

Just do big leg + back work. High rep squats are a good way to get an appetite. I'd eat every 1.5 hours - full bowls of food. I couldn't keep up that much eating all week long, probably only half the time, but it's just an idea of what you can do if you pound your body.

I gained 15 lbs. in my first 3 months of bodybuilding. No flab at all (still had a defined midsection, even obliques when flexing). I'm sure some of that weight was fat, but it's evenly distributed and not very much. I went from being puny to buffed.

--------------------
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

#5222721 - 01/25/06 06:03 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Bingo, ya hit the nail right on the head.

The kind of, somewhat unhealthy benefit to bulking is that you really put on loads of muscle when you're heavier. You can't gain weight and have 9% bf. *shrug*

That's right. Water, fat and a little bit of muscle can be gained at a steady rate of a lb a week. The standard 40-40-30 ratio of protein to carbs to fat can help with that. A tip for everyone is to average out how much you eat for a couple of weeks.... and assume that a comfortable body weight is around 170lbs, you never gain or lose weight and have a steady diet. Well throwing 300-500 extra calories on that can really help! A little chinese dude who's bulking up told me this and it's worked for him. I'd say that it's a good place to start, but there's so many variables that we can all agree on some room for error.

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents. I've only been weight lifting for a solid half year, but have researched this kind of stuff on and off for years.

--------------------

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

#5223515 - 01/25/06 08:38 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

browndustin said:
The kind of, somewhat unhealthy benefit to bulking is that you really put on loads of muscle when you're heavier. You can't gain weight and have 9% bf. *shrug*

Yes you can. I never exceeded 8% for sure. 6% was my start. You just have to do a clean bulk. Most people's idea of bulking is "fast food has lots of calories yes!" I'm the guy who thinks "hey.. if I buy a bag of pinto beans, rice, potatoes, and a shitload of meat, I can make food for a whole week yes!"

=)

And I really did put on 3 lbs 2 weeks. I considered 2 lbs good and 1 lbs minimum. Just realize that I took it really seriously. I worked out so much that I would be sleeping for 12-14 hours some days. And my waking hours were, most times, very slow moving because I was so bogged down by all the food.

1 lb a week is actually not bad.

Now I don't care at all about getting big. I just want to be strong and maintain a healthy metabolism. I'm 147.

--------------------

OfflineStandsAlone
Stranger
Loc: Arcata, California
    #5234315 - 01/28/06 05:32 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

hmmm....I was locked up for 1 year and 2 months and was only allowed out of my room for 1 hour per day. I was 16 and 17 at the time and after about 3 months of being jailed I was up to a 1000 pushup per day minimum, 2000 crunches, at least 600 tricep pushups, 1000 jumping jacks, and 500 squats (without weights of course) everyday. When I got out I was quite a bit stronger than when I was first incarcerated, but I was hardly "ripped". Oh yeah and I left out the fact that during my rec time I would do nothing but run, so that's also about 7-10 miles of running everyday. Every 10 days I would take 1 day off where I did not excersize.

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Protien(for anyone that worksout) [Re: StandsAlone]
    #5236153 - 01/28/06 06:59 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I was speaking more or less for the majority of people. I can agree with ya. I've always played it a little more smart, choosing nuts and sweet potatoes over double cheeseburgers and chocolate bars. That's good to know people still practice what they preach eh

I think we've probably had really similar gains. When I started working out I stayed commited from the very first day because I knew that a little slacking is a huge set back. I took creatine which contributed to my water weight, and before I knew it I was 158lbs!! It's hard to judge how much I put on weekly because I stayed away from the scale. I'm tipping 150lbs right now and at a weight plateu.

Strength is still increasing, so weight isn't much of an issue. My little brother just threw out all his creatine and suppliments, he's totally shredded at around 160lbs and looking better than anyone I know. I want to get past 160lbs on a clean bulk, and cut down to 150lbs until my frame starts maturing.

Any more goals right now, hobbit? I'm interested to know.

--------------------

OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
    #5236704 - 01/28/06 10:19 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Calories are more important than anything when it comes to building muscle mass. You must take in more calories than you burn in a day if you want to gain muscle. This is the most common mistake people make when they begin lifting. Protein is also important, but make sure you have a clean well rounded diet and use the shakes as a supplement to that. As far as protein being unhealthy, I have read a great deal of information to the contrary.

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

#5237485 - 01/29/06 02:43 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

browndustin said:
Any more goals right now, hobbit? I'm interested to know.

Right now I'm interested in getting stronger and a little bit bigger. I'd probably be happy to be right around 160. Only 12 lbs to gain. =) I could care less how long it takes. I just want to feel poweful and have fun.

I started sprinting again because I live on Oahu where they have the pro bowl game and they just built the practice field about 5 minutes away from my house. It's hellof fun to sprint up and down the sidelines, pretending I'm a player. =D

I just did my first sprints tonight. My crotch hurts. =x

--------------------

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

#5238704 - 01/29/06 01:43 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

It sucks to pull any leg or groin muscles. My mother and stepdad run, so being a skinny jungle runner it was only natural for me to start doing track and field. Plus I skated for years so I know all about lower body pain. I feel ya. lol :thumbdown:

And where's Oahu? I'm using firefox and have a google search bar right in front of my face but I'm too lazy. :frown:

Strength and size come at different times I find. My weight's still bouncing back and fourth give or take 3lbs, but I'm content. I could start doing cardio and I think the most I'd lose would be 5lbs, so the reassurance gives me more time to focus on increasing strength which is still consistent. Thank goodness. Gains are just around the corner. I find that keeping the scale in the closet does wonders. Heh heh.

To bulk up to 160lbs for a while and start cutting would be really nice. As long as I get totally shredded, I could deal with 155lbs or even 150lbs again. I haven't seen more than a damn 4 pack in a long time. The only part where I store fat is just over my bottom set of abdominals. I'm lucky for my genetics because I have abs by default, they're just hiding right now.

A friend who's really into female fitness (she's smoookkkinnnn, gotta find some pics!) mentioned your lower ab region can stick out because of your colon. Ever hear of that? I mentioned around 8% bf and it still pushes out a little... I did some research too and your little guy can hold like 10lbs of water weight down there! And it pushes your belly out. Her boyfriend just went on a fast, and he's planning on getting his pooper cleaned out professionally because he's going to compete in competitions. Is that not wild?

--------------------

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Protien(for anyone that worksout) [Re: PowerTrip]
    #5238712 - 01/29/06 01:45 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

PowerTrip said:
Calories are more important than anything when it comes to building muscle mass. You must take in more calories than you burn in a day if you want to gain muscle. This is the most common mistake people make when they begin lifting. Protein is also important, but make sure you have a clean well rounded diet and use the shakes as a supplement to that. As far as protein being unhealthy, I have read a great deal of information to the contrary.

I learned that lesson the frustrating way. I never realized that you can still burn so many calories after weight lifting, but it makes sense. I'm sure a ton of other people miss realizing this one too.

--------------------

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

#5238880 - 01/29/06 02:36 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I didn't pull anything. It's just really sore.

I slept after that run/sprint, woke up, and did it all over again. It was fun. =) I also did 4 sets of pushups, 1 of which was fingertip.

Anyways.. I would hope that my gi tract naturally cleanses itself. I bet there is some gunk in there, but hopefully not too much. I also have the bad posture thing going on where my lower abdomen sticks out, similar to something you would see from a pigme. =) Having a tight, strong midsection and a tight back helps that alot. It's too hard to have good posture all the time, but I definitely aim for it.

--------------------

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

#5238951 - 01/29/06 03:07 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Someone once told me that I hop when I walk... that sucked... then I slouched a bit in highschool when I was really depressed. Now I think I finally walk with good posture.

Posture's pretty important imo. I think I have pretty good posture and I don't have to force it, it's just comfortable. Sleeping with a pillow between my knees really helps too. I used to stick my feet out to the sides a bit during my skating years. I must have looked stupid.

--------------------

Invisibledr_gonz
. [Re: browndustin]
    #5238968 - 01/29/06 03:14 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

#5239079 - 01/29/06 03:51 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Skating was the shit. It was a complete lifestyle. Unfortunately my town had too many cliques. There were the skater fags, the punk ass posers, the real skaters and then the crews that were all sponsored.

That, combined with ankle problems made it easy to fall out of.

I've been thinking of skating lots though. I walk by park benchs and imaging gliding across them like butter. Do you still skate? I want to at least get all my flat ground tricks back so I can just mill about... skatin up and down the road and shit. :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineMisterMyco
Myco-fanatic
Male

#5241141 - 01/30/06 04:14 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Protein isn't a magical compound, you won't put on 11,000% muscle mass from it. IF you were working out before and not getting enough protein (the right proteins at the right times and a steady intake) then you weren't putting on maximum muscle mass. If you are really working out properly you should get .75-1.0g of protein per pound of body weight. Also, avoid the horribly-planned out fall of not eating before you sleep. Take a protein (no carbs or sugars or taurine to keep you awake) source just before your sleep. Sleep is your bodys time to rebuild it self and how can it do that without proteins!

--------------------
"I have never, in all my life, not for one moment, been tempted toward religion of any kind. The fact is that I feel no spiritual void. I have my philosophy of life, which does not include any aspect of the supernatural."
Isaac Asimov

OfflineMisterMyco
Myco-fanatic
Male

Re: Protien(for anyone that worksout) [Re: Jaimie]
    #5241142 - 01/30/06 04:18 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Jaimie said:
I work out some, but I'm a female, so perhaps not after the same results as you are. From a biochemical viewpoint though, I wouldn't suggest overdoing the protein. I've seen some helpful little calculators online that set a good amount. I think it's like 60 grams or so, depending on sex and age and stuff.

Maybe if you are living a sedentary lifestyle that would work.  If you are a man who is really hitting the weights, dieting properly, resting and getting plenty of sleep, you need WAY more than that.  Calculators on websites that have women in their early 30's in Spandex smiling while they walk aren't designed for young men who want to bench 300+ lbs and be ripped up.
Quote:

Protein has so much nitrogen and nitrogen breakdown is super tough on the liver. Ammonia is a product of the reaction and it's toxic and can even affect your brain. Your precious brain cells! You can also get dehydrated, weakened bones, damaged kidneys and other bad things. Some even say cancer (but they do for everything).

Most of that is BS.  The main byproduct of the decomposition isn't ammonia it's urea.  Drink lots of water and you'll be fine.  Protein is harder for the body to break down than clean-burning carbohydrates,  but, again, you can't build muscle from sugar :smile:  If you are really hitting the weights as you should be, you need protein to rebuild the muscles.
Quote:

Heh, I'm a little obsessed with protein. Mostly because I don't eat meat and people are always bugging me..."You can never get enough protein on that diet"..."You're going to be so weak and pathetic"...and so on..ha ha

It's amazing how many people ask vegetarians or near vegetarians "where do you get your protein", but most of them never ask themselves where they get their vitamins.  Maybe that hunk of beef with a baked potato loaded with butter is their source of antioxidants.

--------------------
"I have never, in all my life, not for one moment, been tempted toward religion of any kind. The fact is that I feel no spiritual void. I have my philosophy of life, which does not include any aspect of the supernatural."
Isaac Asimov

InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia Flag
Re: Protien(for anyone that worksout) [Re: MisterMyco]
    #5241832 - 01/30/06 11:45 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

To see real results, protein should be ingested no more than 20 minutes after a work out routine....works for me

Pluto

Invisibledr_gonz
. [Re: browndustin]
    #5241855 - 01/30/06 11:53 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

#5244516 - 01/30/06 10:26 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

lol

When I was in Texas I bought a complete set up and it rained ironically. I got to skate the next day but that state's flat as a board! Kickflipped like crazy in my room though.

There's no better feeling than ripping down the street at mach 10, doing a kickflip and riding away like it was nothing. The faster you go, the higher they snap up, float, catch and land like butter :shineon:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds