Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Money is NOT the root of all evil! [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #5218273 - 01/24/06 03:39 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

MushmanTheManic said:
mathematical symbols = √evil

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

Re: Money is NOT the root of all evil! [Re: Silversoul]
    #5218297 - 01/24/06 03:45 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Mathematical symbols == evil.
Since Man-1 is equal to ActionofMan-n, we can reasonably assume that: Paradigm > good^-1.

"Hate the Mathematician, not the sinner"
-- 12:5 Honest Book of Truth

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: Money is NOT the root of all evil! [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #5218401 - 01/24/06 04:11 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Mush, you're cracking me up in this thread!:lol: You have roots of evil growing all over the place. :lol:

What about evil being the root of evil?

What definition of evil are we even working with here?

I like the model that sees evil as live spelled backwards. That implies that anything related to not living spawns it.

I take that to mean that fear of death, be it false ego death, death of consciousness or physical death, wherever they think the limits to life are scares people and makes them do evil things to protect themselves from perceived threats of loss of false ego life, loss of conscious life or loss of physical life.

To me fear of loss of life in some form is the root of evil actions and the root of such a fear is........hmmmmmmm.........is what? Thats a good question?  :confused:

Maybe I should flip it over. What happens when we live not in fear of loss of life/livelihood in some form but in love with the life that Is, as it is for what it is while it is? We act differently.

Perhaps the root of evil is the fear of impermanence.

Even Darwin says what adapts well to changing environments continues to survive. It would seem then, that the way to  overcome the fear of impermanence "evil" is to be able to adapt to changing environments well. As we do that, the living in some form continues on. Resisting change of form runs against nature. Perhaps running against nature is the root of all evil.

In religious terms, if God is Nature itself, and running against nature is evil, that would even fit in with the idea of evil being what goes agaisnt God.

Good food for thought Post idea Skorp! I enjoyed reading all of the replies so far! :thumbup:

:peace: :heart:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (01/24/06 04:13 PM)

OfflineFospher
Crime FightingMaster Criminal
Male

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Money is NOT the root of all evil! [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #5218503 - 01/24/06 04:45 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

"The fuel of world hate, although it's just a seed,
but when it grows and flowers, it becomes the world's greed!
"

/Choking Victim

--------------------
010001100100001001000101!

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Money is NOT the root of all evil! [Re: blaze2]
    #5219254 - 01/24/06 07:39 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Sorry, I disagree. In a non-violent world without criminals and wars, guns would be unnecessary for protection. If I HAD to hunt an animal, it would not be for sport but for survival and a gun is the most effective choice. I would rather S.W.A.T have marksmen with telecsopic sites than bows and arrows. Harpoon guns are used for mooring a boat that is in trouble by firing a line over it and saving life. Bombs are explosive devices used to destroy property for the sake of destruction (not demolition for renovation) and for anti-personnel weapons, but explosives per se are not for such use. I have watched dynamite being used most helpfully. Still, it is a matter of intentionality.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Money is NOT the root of all evil! [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #5219432 - 01/24/06 08:21 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

your right you have to weild an evil thing with an evil heart to do evil but does that mean the thing has no inherent evilness? Do we really need to shoot things? even animals? guns are impersonal, and seperate someone from the destruction they cause. at least when hunting with knives or bows and arrows one is in full awareness of what he is doing. We dont need to hunt for meat anymore anyways we have things called domesticated herds. We dont need to blow up buildings we have things called wreckign balls and bulldozers. just because it is easier does not make it right. Some things should be hard, like killing. To make them easy is only a way for humans to remove guilt from themselves. Everyone is so concerned with convience that they could care less about moral implications.

And anytime you invent a "helpful" device capable of murder, you invite it ot be used for that purpose. People kill why make it easier for them? So that you can take a building down in a day instead a week? well i guess that is more cost effective what do you know yet again it all comes back to moeny surprise surprise.

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#5219526 - 01/24/06 08:40 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Anything which can be used for good cannot be inherently evil.

--------------------

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#5219541 - 01/24/06 08:44 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

how is a gun ever used for good even when shoot a bad guy or a deer your still killing and killing is never good, necesarry maybe but never good. there is a difference.

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#5219566 - 01/24/06 08:50 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Self-defense = good

Food = good

Survival = good

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#5219590 - 01/24/06 08:54 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

And as for bombs and missiles, if a large comet or asteroid were ever headed on a collision course towards earth, a nuclear missile launched into space may be our only hope.

--------------------

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#5219597 - 01/24/06 08:56 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

yes but all of those involve killing and...

killing=evil

Your list is full of selfish needs do you need to kill to survive(perhaps sometimes but one should always find other ways first no?)

Do you need to kill to get Food...Nope

Do you need to to kill in self defense? Nope.

GUNS ONLY PURPUSE IS KILLING how is that not evil?

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#5219607 - 01/24/06 08:58 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Killing is not evil. Killing is natural. Murder is evil. Killing in self-defense, when necessary, is not evil.

Furthermore, guns are not used solely for killing. If I shot you in the shoulder or the leg, you would most likely survive.

--------------------

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#5219616 - 01/24/06 09:00 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Id say let the asteroid hit, yes im aware its killing people, but that would be God doing the killing, and that is just fine by me. The world is full of sheep and fools a little house cleaning couldnt hurt anything. If im killed in the process so be it, im ready to die. You obviously arent.

blaze2

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#5219629 - 01/24/06 09:05 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

blaze2 said:
Id say let the asteroid hit, yes im aware its killing people, but that would be God doing the killing, and that is just fine by me.

If I shot you, that would be God killing you too. The separation between God and not-God is illusory.

Quote:

The world is full of sheep and fools a little house cleaning couldnt hurt anything. If im killed in the process so be it, im ready to die. You obviously arent.

I'm ready to die if it's my time. But I'm not ready to have the entire population of this magnificent planet wiped out if it can be prevented. I find it rather cruel of you that you would wish that upon everyone.

--------------------

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#5219634 - 01/24/06 09:06 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

oh well then i guess we should only give the guns to people who can aim for the shoulder or legs then huh?

killing is natural and necassecy part of life your right and its also the most evil part of nature, one shouldnt look for ways to make it more convienent. Do you think that when you kill in self defense or shoot a young buck for dinner that you feel no guilt? of course you do and you feel that guilt because killing is evil.

I'm going to go on a limb here and say you havent actually killed anything more personal than a bug maybe a bird. just a hunch.

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#5219645 - 01/24/06 09:09 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

blaze2 said:
oh well then i guess we should only give the guns to people who can aim for the shoulder or legs then huh?

straw man

Quote:

killing is natural and necassecy part of life your right and its also the most evil part of nature, one shouldnt look for ways to make it more convienent. Do you think that when you kill in self defense or shoot a young buck for dinner that you feel no guilt? of course you do and you feel that guilt because killing is evil.

It's sad that your simplistic mind can only concieve in terms of good and evil. There's several shades of grey you're not seeing.

Quote:

I'm going to go on a limb here and say you havent actually killed anything more personal than a bug maybe a bird. just a hunch.

I've gone fishing before, then gutted and ate the fish. But so what?

--------------------

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#5219666 - 01/24/06 09:16 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

no if you shot me YOU would be shooting me. You are a human and as such you have no right to judge. God, if you believe in him that is, is infallible, so i would have no problems with his judging me. You are very fallible being the human that you are

God is not illusion if you actually believe in him man, but its all about the side of the fence your on.

Oh yea and if humans were able to divert it then i highly doubt it was Gods will anyways, when he is ready to wipe us out we wont see it coming till its too late.

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#5219697 - 01/24/06 09:23 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

fish are about on par with birds, when you shoot a deer man and look in its eyes you see emotion there. It knows its dieing and until youve looked death in the eye then you dont understand the full impact of having caused something else's death. i dont know how to describe it any better than that. You'll actually have to experiance it yourself. There is a reason that indian tribes would only kill when absolutly necessary, adn then used every bit of the animal they could.

MY "simplistic mind" knows many shades of grey on many issues killing is not one of them. Killing is absolute most evil thing humans can do no matter the circumstance. Slavery, rape, violence, all are bad but at least the victim is still alive, killing IS black and white man its as simple as ALIVE OR DEAD.

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
    #5219700 - 01/24/06 09:25 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Anyone who says Money is the roof of all evil Doesn't have any.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Money is NOT the root of all evil! [Re: Maverick]
    #5219761 - 01/24/06 09:46 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Anyone who says Money is the roof of all evil Doesn't have any.

Or he feels he hasn't enough and wants yours. As Ayn Rand puts it -- "Run for your life from any man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter."

"Leper's bell" -- what a great phrase!

Phred

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies