Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegoodoldrascal
protege

Vermiculite use in pre-hydrated poo/compost/bulk substrate
    #5218325 - 01/24/06 03:53 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

For my upcoming grow I will be using TN Stud's pre-pasteurized compost, no straw, just the straight up TN Stud poo. In order to bypass sterilization and bypass finding the perfect moisture content, I have choosen this product which has been pre-hydrated and ready to be spawned. What I wanted to find out is what some of you think about the necessity of adding verm to the mix in order to help maintain humidity, aerate etc.
I know when adding water when making your own bulk substrate, verm is often used to balance out the water ratio.
Ultimately, my question is whether or not vermiculite is necessary or even advisable when using a pre-hydrated mix like Tennesee's? If it is advisable, how much should I use if the mix already has an appropriate moisture level?

--------------------
Recent Discovery: Check out the Tibetan Book of the Dead, relevant information, and esp. Leary's translation/interpretation. I hope you will be as astounded by this ancient texts' relevance to the psychedelic experience as I have been.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Vermiculite use in pre-hydrated poo/compost/bulk substrate [Re: goodoldrascal]
    #5218423 - 01/24/06 04:20 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I routinely use vermiculite in my substrate mix. There is no magic formula for getting the moisture content right. It simply takes some time and dedication from you. I put together a recipe for myself, with the ingredient help from others, and simply slowly added water until I got the perfect amount of moisture. I recorded the measurements and bam, a recipe was formed.

If you are going to be introducing new non-sterile ingredients to the mix, you'll have to re-pastuerize it anyway. I would also consider adding some other ingredients to the mix. I use WBS, Canola oil, and Kelp Meal. If your spawn is already WBS, you could probably skip that ingredient.

Offlinegoodoldrascal
protege

Re: Vermiculite use in pre-hydrated poo/compost/bulk substrate [Re: Wronguy]
    #5219591 - 01/24/06 08:54 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I will be spawning the bulk w/ WBS. I was thinking I could mix in the verm (after sterilizing) when I spawn the bulk. I will have no need to add any water to my compost as it is already aptly hydrated. Are you suggesting that I would need to add water to the compost if I were to use verm, in which case I would have to re-pasteurize the compost?

Also, I have herd black mustard seed offers the same nutrients as does veg oil. What are your thoughts? and if I were to use oil what ratio do you suggest?

--------------------
Recent Discovery: Check out the Tibetan Book of the Dead, relevant information, and esp. Leary's translation/interpretation. I hope you will be as astounded by this ancient texts' relevance to the psychedelic experience as I have been.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags