Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

One State, Two State, Red State, Blue State
    #5213997 - 01/23/06 12:49 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

This Article said:
Red states and blue states have several demographic differences from each other. The association between colors and demographics was notably made in a column by Mike Barnicle, and reinforced in a controversial response from Paul Begala (though the association between demographics and voting patterns was well known before that). The most common observation is that the majority of red states tend to feature more rural area, with agriculture being one of the most important industries. The majority of blue states tend to be more urban, have higher per capita income, and are more multicultural. These demographic trends, along with less obvious correlations, have been analysed in detail by conservative pundit Steve Sailer.

The demographic differences between smaller geographical areas applies as well to counties, which follow the same trend as states. The results of the 2004 presidential election support this, as even red states contain blue counties, particularly counties that include major cities. For example, out of the 17 counties that constitute Nevada, only Clark County was won by Democratic candidate John Kerry. Not only is Clark County the most populous county in Nevada, but its county seat is the city of Las Vegas. The second-closest county?in which Republican candidate George W. Bush won by the slimmest margin?was Washoe County. The county seat of Washoe County is the city of Reno.

However, one exception to this is probably Indiana, where in the 2004 presidential elections Allen County voted Bush by 63%. Allen County is home to Fort Wayne. In addition, Vanderburgh County, home of Evansville voted Bush by 59%. Marion County, home of Indianapolis was only a win for Kerry by a 1% margin.

Taking the differences in demographics even further, one could argue that the current red-blue divide bears a resemblance to the divide prior to the American Civil War noting, however, that the "blue" states, save Kentucky, New Jersey and Delaware, were won in the 1864 election by Republican Abraham Lincoln. Similarly, one may compare the sectionalism of the 1860 U.S. presidential election to the presidential elections of 2000 and 2004, though with the Republican and Democratic regions reversed. However, it should be noted that these comparisons are subjective and are not scientific.

Quote:

This Article said:
The perceived division between red states and blue states has triggered a pronounced (if perhaps brief) introspection among some blue staters and red staters. Feelings of cultural and political polarization, which have gained increased media attention since the 2004 election, may have led in some quarters to increased mutual feelings of alienation and enmity. These attitudes have led to the often jocular suggestion that a red state-blue state secession is in order. The Jesusland map is one such joke, a satirical map that redraws the U.S.-Canada border to reflect this sociopolitical schism.

The polarization has been present for only two close elections (2000 and 2004). In the 1996 election, 31 U.S. states were "blue" and 19 "red" (though at the time the colors were reversed). One thing that has been more consistant over this period is that the average "blue" state has a greater number of people and electoral votes than does the average "red" state. (When George W. Bush won 31 states in 2004, he gathered 286 electoral votes ? 9 electoral votes for each state won. When Bill Clinton won 31 states in 1996, he tallied 379 electoral votes ? 12 electoral votes per state carried.)

• What are your thoughts on the cultural divide in America?
  • Is it a growing problem, perhaps leading to another civial war?
  • In your opinion, why do the more multicultural areas tend to vote blue?

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Loc: Yonder Flag
Re: One State, Two State, Red State, Blue State [Re: daimyo]
    #5214003 - 01/23/06 12:53 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I don't give a fuck about nicaragua
I don't give a shit about the President
I don't care about suburban white kids
Trying to show they've got compassion
Politics are boring
Politics are fucking boring
Philosophizing propoganda spewing
Teenage armchair revolutionaries
What's the problem? What's the matter?
You're sitting there getting fatter
You say that you hate capitalism
And won't you compromise
But when you're out of cigarettes
THE FUNNY THING IS YOUR BUTT'S FULL OF JIZZ
You pompous ass your moral outrage
Gives me a fucking headache
Closed your mind got all the answers
Don't even realize you're an asshole
If you had any brains I guess you'd see
You're a narrow minded judgemental left wing nazi
I don't give a fuck about Nicarauga

:grin:

--------------------

:murray:

OfflinekingboomerDiscord
smurfhouse archetect
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rocky Mountain High!!!!
    #5214005 - 01/23/06 12:54 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

:mushroom2: When did it go from Republican vs Democrat to Bloods vs Cripps?  :mushroom2:

-Kingboomer

--------------------
Hole in the sky/
take me to heaven..
window in time/
through it I'll fly...

-Black Sabbath

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Re: One State, Two State, Red State, Blue State [Re: kingboomer]
    #5214007 - 01/23/06 12:57 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Every other party is insignificant in the grand scheme of things. The Bloods and Crips are the biggest thing out htere, besides the GD and there is no equivallent in the political parties, unfortunately.:crazy:

--------------------

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: One State, Two State, Red State, Blue State [Re: blissedout]
    #5214017 - 01/23/06 01:02 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

That's good shit.  Who is that?

Also, I made it into a sig?  I'm flattered :blush:

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

#5214021 - 01/23/06 01:05 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

:smile:

It's Screeching Weasel from their album Boogada Boogada Boogada. That quote in my sig made me laugh alot.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom