Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
Re: Important - All Cultivators please read. [Re: Thor]
    #521149 - 01/15/02 12:08 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I agree with your basic idea. Like some others here, I also agree with bassplayer74. I especially like the idea of a forum that more suits where "my friends" fit in (intermediate).

Overall, a great ideal.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

Edited by Jammer (01/15/02 06:07 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCheshirePhat
Re: Important - All Cultivators please read. [Re: Jammer]
    #521255 - 01/15/02 03:30 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

THIS IS AN AWESOME IDEA.... :P

id seriously like to see this implemented.........
But there are some good ideas also from others.....
im only new here my self but have seen the repeatedivness of some questions not in just this but also the advanced forum.....

im not sure i dont really go past the first block of forums... but maybe a TEK forum would be handy unto itself.... and then have your

n00b's.... and have it moderated by Anno etc.. for then you will have the more experienced checking in on the newbies
LIKE ME!!

and so on.....

but if you could lock ppl out of advanced unless they have posted in newbie ville forum and maybe intermediate like 20 times ......

oh well

AWESOME IDEA..... PUSH THE ENVELOPE! BTW not sure if this got answered but do you take aussie dollars for donations?

i wanna help you guys out because ive learnt heaps off the site and also by just being able to access these forums and the quality of ppl in them who help eachother......

cheering

--------------------
[orange]"Lets fuck this kat"[/orange] -Elroy "tasmanian babes fiasco"

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #521269 - 01/15/02 04:19 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Good idea! Perhaps a seperate category for cakes and casings?

OfflineSupershrooomer
journeyman
 User Gallery

#521308 - 01/15/02 05:50 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

One way to cut down on the massive amount of repeat questions would be to have an archive. Similar to the one found at Mycotopia.

The main questions regarding cakes, casings, substrates, vendors, could all be archived and grouped together. That would also cut down on the need to search through 500 responses from a search engine. The most relevent, helpful posts will be archived. Just an idea!

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
Re: Important - All Cultivators please read. [Re: Supershrooomer]
    #521320 - 01/15/02 06:28 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

hmm, well if theres going to be another cult forum why dont we split the two mods, i really doubt intermediate would need 2 mods. bluhoney should get to pick tho, ill take the remaining forum.
also lets not make a bunch more forums for evry little aspect of cultivation. that would just be too fractalish.
and instead of basic mushroom cultivation, perhaps call it begginners cultivation, or something hip so that begginers will stay there and not cross-post into intermediate or advanced.
ohyeah. and its going to be odd i think, begginners asking advice from other begginners? nahh, i think unless some experienced cultivators frequent the begginners forum, the most crucial function of splitting it will be flawed and evryone will just bost in intermediate anyway, if they want good answers for example... :)
one thing i DO approve of is people taking the time to suggest to the begginners to look for answers in existing posts so we dont have alot of repitition, that takes up space and gets on evryones nerves :)

OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

#521340 - 01/15/02 07:29 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

Invisiblewingnutx

Re: Important - All Cultivators please read. [Re: psilocyber]
    #521391 - 01/15/02 03:39 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

What you propose basically sounds like an FAQ that i slinked from the forum. (which is a good idea, imho)

As far as splitting the forums up, I agree with bassplayer. good idea.

Invisibledimitri211
Carpal Tunnel
    #521401 - 01/15/02 03:47 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I am not a cultivator, BUT I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express the other night.

And I must agree it sounds great to me.

Invisibletheseeker
addict
 User Gallery
    #521501 - 01/15/02 05:43 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Thor

I think it makes a lot of sense to break the
forum into developmental cycles.. such as
Incubation, Casings, Cakes, and Misc, for
example.. and of course leave the forum for
experienced cultivators so they willl not be
bothered by us. :)

OfflineTrail_Blazer
enthusiast

#521518 - 01/15/02 06:04 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Arite how about this:

Getting Started Forum : This forum is for those who have basic questions regarding the various teks, where to locate supplies, and how to set-up cultivation equipment (I.E. Incubation Chambers, Terrariums etc)

Incubation Forum: This forum is for those who have questions regarding innoculation procedures, the colonization process, and other basic questions pertaining to the incubation period during cultivation.

Fruiting Cycle Forum: This forum is for those who have questions regarding the fruiting cycle in cakes and casings, and any other questions relating to the fruiting cycle in mushroom cultivation.

Misc Forum This forum is for those who have questions which don't fall under any of the other cultivation forums.

Advanced Mushroom Cultivation : (Keep it as it is)

Anyone like????

Peace

--------------------
[green]There is a fine line between genius and insanity, I have erased this line.[/green]
Visit FSR

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
    #521557 - 01/15/02 06:36 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I think u should keep it the way it is, its great. Although I do think people should search for thier answer more before asking. This might be achived by setting up a better thread browser, I dont know. Thanks for asking anyways.

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#521560 - 01/15/02 06:40 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

That does sound like a good idea...and hopefully some of the more intermediate growers who enjoying growing and helping others will still hang out in the beginner section and give some feedback.
That is the only problem I can see with splitting the 3 up...is how will the newbies get any help in the beginner forum?
If nothing but newbies hang out and post there, it will be like the blind leading the blind :smile:

I think the blinking "please search first" errr somthing is a great idea... but how about a more effective search engine.
That one that comes with wwwthreads just sucks.

everytime I go to look up information or posts from certain ppl I can hardly find it with the current search engine.

For example.... if I wanted to find info about a certain species posted by a paticular member that had been growing them, I could not input that species name and his user name to find that info. Please....I beg....Im on my knees here.....throw me a bone...or at least a better search engine :smile:

--------------------
-Peace-

High Quality MUSHROOM SPORES and CULTURES  for microscopy at www.muShrooms.com

muShrooms.com is the new web site of
www.thehawkseye.com

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

Re: Important - All Cultivators please read. [Re: geokills]
    #521574 - 01/15/02 06:59 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Here's an idea to help make this work. I am not sure how complicated it is to implement this but I am sure some form of this idea could be implemented in one way or another.

You could make the forums accesible (TO POST NOT READ) only if you pass a quiz of some sort asking questions that you would have to know in order to be considered a a cultivator of that level.

I wouldn't think that the questions would have to be too hard or anything but just as long as they understand the basics of that forum levels info.

You could accompany the quiz with a faqs section so that the person trying to have access to the intermediate sections could go search through that and read it (learning at the same time) to find the answers to gain access to it. You could do this with all the different forum levels.

For example in order to post in the newbies forum there would be a paragraph describing the life cycle of a mushroom. Then you would have to answer a questions such as: A Tree has roots. What part of the mushroom would be comparable to roots? Answer: Mycelium

For intermediate it would be more like a paragraph about casing describing different casing methods and such. A question could be something like: What is the purpose of the casing layer? Answer: To provide additional moisture.

For advanced... maybe you wouldn't have a FAQS accompanying it so that it would be strictly for people who obviously have had enough experience that they can answer most of the questions off the top of their head. It could be a questions more like. What is the difference between rhizomorphic and tomentose growth? or maybe something about agar.

I know these questions were pretty poorly worded and such but it was just to give you an idea. Obviously you would have multiple questions to gain access to the other forums. they could be multiple choice type questons and you have to get a certain precentage right in order to be able to post in the forum not necesarily them all right.

The problem with doing this on just a post number count like some people would suggest is that there are many people that have already been growing for years that have just stumbled upon the shroomery. Also there are a lot of people that just post endlessly in OTD that have thousands of posts and have never even grown a single mushroom.

Again I just want to point out that this would be purely to allow you to post not to let you read it. All members should have access to read all the forums.

Oh well just a basic idea for you to expand on and alter as you see fit....OR totally ignore. hehehe.

Karen

Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

Loc: Tennessee
Re: Important - All Cultivators please read. [Re: Trail_Blazer]
    #521634 - 01/15/02 08:02 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I agree Trail_Blazer!! This is what I meant in my post. Thanks for putting some more detail to it. Over some time maybe a couple more forums could be added if the "Misc" forum gets too crowded. And I also agree with the imbedded post idea. It should encourage newbies to search before they post and also it should contain links to a few of the most informative documents and web sites. It should also warn newbies that if they ask a question that can easily be found by searching or reading a posted document, then they might be criticized in some way.

bassplayer74

--------------------
If you will it, it is no dream.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: Important - All Cultivators please read. [Re: Karen]
    #521679 - 01/15/02 08:50 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

although a little complicated... i like karen's idea

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Offlinefungichick
Your mom
    #521713 - 01/15/02 09:26 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I really like Karen's idea of a quiz to allow posting access to certain forums. This would both teach one how to use the search feature along with learning various information about cultivation etc. Read access should of course be allowed in all forums. I think this would really solve the problem of duplicate postings and posting in the wrong forum.

I see a few main problems with this place.
1. Repeat postings
2. Very Unspecific / General subject titles (making the search feature obsolete in some cases)
3. Not so friendly to newbies

I think the repeat postings and unspecific/general subject title problem could be helped quite a bit with more specified forums for various growing methods/stages. For example, if there was a specific forum on "casing" how many people would make their subject "casing question" knowing already they are posting in a casing forum. People would hopefully be more direct with their subjects making it both easier to find information and answer questions.

The not so friendly to newbies bit is obvious. Oops somebody made the mistake of posting a question that was posted 10 million years ago or 2 seconds ago (it really doesn't matter) and the response is basically "Search for it yourself" - don't waste the time of the established people on this forum. Well hell if you're going to spend the time to bitch them out give them a link and let them know how you found the info so they'll know next time. Unfortunately, half the time I've spent using the search feature is searching for what it is exactly that I'm trying to search for. For instance, if I'm a newbie and have a casing question...I dare not type in "casing", "casing question", "casing tek" or "casing methods" for fear of pulling up hundreds and hundreds of entries to be sifted through. Giving newbies suggestions on searching for specific info and making their subject titles for questions more specific is much more helpful and useful in the longrun.

OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
    #521878 - 01/16/02 12:09 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

My hat is off to you Karen!

I LOVE THAT IDEA OF A PRE_TEST of one's knowledge to get acess to certain forums.

ALL AT ONCE NOW (in support of Karen's idea) .... DO I HEAR AN:

AMEN!!!!!!!!!
???????????

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

OfflineMatty_Rulez
Lurker, explorer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Important - All Cultivators please read. [Re: Jammer]
    #521885 - 01/16/02 12:17 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

AAAAAAmmenn!!!

;)

--------------------
Life would be tragic if it weren't funny. - Stephen Hawking

Invisibleblahblahblah
Mad Scientist

Loc: South America
Re: Important - All Cultivators please read. [Re: Matty_Rulez]
    #521966 - 01/16/02 02:17 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Do people like newbies? Cause if they dont I think karens idea is the way to go (no offence karen). I know that when I was just starting out that if I would have had to take a quiz to be able to ask questions somewhere, I would have found someplace else to ask questions. But I guess this goes both ways, it helps weed out the lazy like myself. Personally I didnt even know the search option existed until a few days ago (j/k), but seriously I didnt know what the thing was for, it was just kind of there.

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

#522001 - 01/16/02 02:45 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Damn, I just came in today and was gonna reccomend something like that, but that sneaky Karen (whom I don't know at all) beat me to it! :wink:

I was just going to reccomend some type of rating system, perhaps from a graded quiz or something like that. The problem with a quiz would be cheaters, and the info is readily available to fill in most any question you could put on it. (unless it was timed or something like that...) Some type of rating would definately be good though.

I could serve as a tester, as I should surely be barred from posting in both the advanced and intermediate forums. :wink:

--------------------

Edited by Ulysees (01/16/02 02:47 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order