Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
ID MY SHROOMS! Combined lime + bleach pasteurization of straw. Using compacted straw.
    #4719614 - 09/27/05 11:57 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I have been reading about lime pasteurization and bleach pasteurization of straw. Most say heating is better, but combined they should give good results. I hear the bleach will kill any contams in the straw and the high ph from the lime will reduce other newly introduced contams capability to grow.

What I find bad about straw is its very low density. I work in small tubs so could only fit a very small weight of straw into a tube. I have heard that cubensis myc will hold together straw very well. I can buy straw that is highly compacted in pet shops in fully sealed plastic bags. They look about 20 litres. I was thinking I could make a hole and pour in a water/bleach/lime solution and leave it soak, then drain it out.

Now make small holes all over the bag, then insert bunches of colonised grain into the holes, stick it in a big black sack and and let it colonise. Once colonised rip open the bag and it should be held together by the myc. Stick it in a big container and case. You wouldnt even have to shred up the straw.

I have read it is 4 cups of lime to 45gallons of water. The same for bleach.
That is 5.5ml per litre in metric. Are these figures right?

Edited by blackout (01/21/06 09:41 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJeremy_Davis
Mycelial NetworkAdministrator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Re: Combined lime + bleach pasteurization of straw. Using compacted straw. [Re: blackout]
    #4720377 - 09/27/05 02:36 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

You go man! I can't wait to see the results of this. This should be an interesting experiment. I can't say for sure about your ratios, though I know there is a formula in GGMM or TMC (both are just out of my lazy reach (but in the room). If you can't find it elsewhere I'll happily look it up after I get off work tonight.
I can say that many years ago I grew some oyster mushrooms using the bleach method. I just took a bus boy tub (from restaurants) and filled it halfway with water. I poured one cap full of bleach (Bleach bottle cap- 1 gallon bottle) into the water, and swirled it around. I added dry wheat straw to cover the water, and let it soak for no more than a half hour. I poured off the water into the sink, and filled a plastic bag layer spawned with grain from Amycel (3015 Grey oyster- great yields with this strain, for me anyway). Cut vents with a razor blade and left alone for 3 weeks on my bookshelf. It fruited beautifully, but I didn't weigh the substrate or the mushrooms, but it was enough for a nice family meal, that's for sure! So best of luck with your experiments, and I'll be curiously watching.
Light and Love,
Jeremy Davis

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Combined lime + bleach pasteurization of straw. Using compacted straw. [Re: Jeremy_Davis]
    #4720800 - 09/27/05 03:50 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I do all of my straw pasturizations with 1 cup of both bleach and hydrated lime per 10-12 gallons of water. Use hot tap water only and allow the straw to soak for 2 hours submerged well and then flip the contents. Allow to soak for another 2 hours. 4 hours total...

Edited by hotnutz (09/27/05 05:25 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Combined lime + bleach pasteurization of straw. Using compacted straw. [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4721970 - 09/27/05 07:34 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

No idea if itll work, theyre very compact..I had the same idea though..ended up going with a hotplate and trash can, and blendered straw, alot fits..Good luck though, I'll be interested to see if it works out.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Combined lime + bleach pasteurization of straw. Using compacted straw. [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4724022 - 09/28/05 04:03 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I won't be getting around to trying this for a while yet. Maybe on a smaller straw bale, they have ones for rabbits.

hotnutz-Thats 4 times the amounts I saw. But if it works, I say the more the better. I thought my original figures were quite low. Does your straw have heads in it? Some say to remove them but I am too lazy.

I also wonder about adding a set amount of bleach/lime water to the straw, I hear it should be 75% moisture content. So if you calcultated it correctly you could make it up to 50-60% bleach/lime. Leave warm for a day so the bleach will degrade, then add the remaining water in the form of LC, a large dose could mean rapid colonisation.
I will try this myself with a small jar of straw.

My new scales arrived today so I can weigh my straw, and other things  :mushroom2:  :evil:

Edited by blackout (09/28/05 04:40 AM)

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Combined lime + bleach pasteurization of straw. Using compacted straw. [Re: blackout]
    #4724514 - 09/28/05 09:17 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Never tried the remainder in a LC. I'd bet it would work, but the bleach might interfere with multispore germination. I've used that same mixture for a couple of years now and haven't had any problems. It works good, especially if you use something like this for the pasturization.

Edited by hotnutz (09/28/05 09:18 AM)

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Combined lime + bleach pasteurization of straw. Using compacted straw. [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4724736 - 09/28/05 10:22 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah I thought the bleach wouldnt be too helpful, but after a few days in a warm place it should decompose. But the chlorine gas may linger on a bit. I will give it a go with a small jar jammed with straw.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4903333 - 11/07/05 02:18 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Well I have started this off now. Got a small compressed brick of barley straw, weighed 850g. Mixed 35g hydrated lime with about 1litre of water and 10ml of 5% bleach. I injected this into the bag in various spots with a 60ml syringe. Left it about 5 hours. Then I put 25g of fresh cubensis stems into a blender with about water and whizzed it up well. This was mixed to about 750ml water and injected this into the bag in many spots. This both aerates the bag and spreads out the myc evenly. The bag now weighs about 2550g so it has about 70% water content, assuming the straw was about 10% naturally.

The bag is very compact so I am a little worried about air exchange, bigger bags fom the same manufacturer were looser.

Edited by blackout (11/07/05 03:51 AM)

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4940470 - 11/16/05 05:58 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Got no growth at all...
Just letting people know in case they were going to try it too.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #5205935 - 01/21/06 09:29 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Well I checked back on the straw that was just lying in my room which is at 60-70F most days. I noticed white growth and thought it was mould. I noticed little strands which I thought were mouldy shoots from germinating seeds in the straw (there were about 10 real shoots). I checked back today and I have shrooms!
Can anybody ID these as cubensis? doesnt look like it to me, the caps are perfectly white. I wonder what the chances are that some other spores were on the straw when I bought it.

OfflineOatman2000
-=Outa Space=-
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Planetary Nebula
Trusted Cultivator
    #5206013 - 01/21/06 10:11 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

ya know.... i have seen a pic somewhere of one of those bales of hay, completely covered with myc... still held together with the wire.

they fruited it like a giant cake, and had massive fruits coming off it in all directions.

has anyone else seen this pic?

--------------------
Spawning to COIR
:thumbup:  My Chocolate Recipe
WBS QUART SPAWN JAR PREPERATION
----------------------------

4-PO-DMT; 4-phosphoryloxy-N,N-dimethltryptamine

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Combined lime + bleach pasteurization of straw. Using compacted straw. [Re: Oatman2000]
    #5206034 - 01/21/06 10:20 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I supposed I should pick one and see if it blues.

Invisibleshobimono
Why?
    #5207658 - 01/21/06 07:44 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate