Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesillvyr

Loc: under a tree
Newbie With Tons of Questions
    #520508 - 01/14/02 01:49 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Hello 'Shroomie Community,
I am very new to this forum. My friend Shy Violet is interested in cultivating small scale, and has read many, many different pieces of information, she is a little overwhelmed! I told her I would contact you all and see if anyone could help. She wants to make an inexpensive fruiting chamber, and thinks she wants to try a cool-mist humidifier. She is planning to make a "tent" from clear plastic to house her chamber, to keep it separate from the air in her house (against contamination) and plans to fit her humidifier with a HEPA filter on the air-intake. She knows about oven-inoculation. There's about 2 weeks before she can order her kit (4 jars pre-autoclaved from JLF), so she still has time to pick up some more info before she gets started. Could someone help, with info/ experience? She would really appreciate it!

--------------------
The "Little Mushrooms" are but emisaries to the Overmind.....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepikalo
Stranger
Re: Newbie With Tons of Questions [Re: sillvyr]
    #520517 - 01/14/02 02:00 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/findorgrowthem.php?View=docs&doc=16

Print this out on paper. If you haven't already. It is extremely helpful info. Also, I would reccommend looking into Ryche Hawks 50/50+ Casing techinique and his substrate recipes. you can find them at the Hawk's Eye. Without specific questions, i's difficult to give answers.. But a lot of people aren't just going to hand you the information because they had to do research themselves. Research is the main key. Cool mist is a great way to go in my opinion. If people respond to the poll I just posted, that may be a place to watch for information as well. What's your Terrarium made from?

That link is to the Magic Mushroom Guide v3.3

--------------------
[peace]

Offlinesillvyr

Loc: under a tree
Re: Newbie With Tons of Questions [Re: pikalo]
    #521361 - 01/14/02 05:16 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Pikalo,
Thank you for responding! The terrarium will probably be made from a styrofoam cooler fitted with a clear lid. Should it have a drip shield ala PF Tek, or can it be done away with? Is the tent a good idea? Growing has not actually begun, it is in planning stages only.
I understand that most folks want to keep info to themselves. I know I'm new here, and that makes me suspect. However, I really wanted to be a part of this community and want to call it home, in time. I know I would be happy to share and help others when it becomes my turn and I have more experience. I'm sure there are others who feel the same about this. Meanwhile I'll just keep reading all I can, and hope for the best.

--------------------
The "Little Mushrooms" are but emisaries to the Overmind.....

OfflineNecron99
Protect youreyes from flyingsugar!

Loc: SATx
    #521420 - 01/15/02 04:02 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

If the lid fits airtite, then you don't need the tent.

Hell, don't even bother with the humidifier or drip shield.
Just put an inch of perlite in the bottom, wet it with distilled water and hydrogen peroxide and you'll be good to go.

Welcome aboard!!

--------------------

"Puny earthlings do not yet know the meaning of the word suffering!!"

OfflineSadMafioso
Stranger
Loc: the dark side of the moon
    #521453 - 01/15/02 04:47 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

It's been well over 3 years since I was involved in any of this activity and you all should stop right now! Don't you see what you're doing to this great country!?

ahahaha sorry just kidding. But it has been well over 3 years and I agree w necron. What I used was an aquarium with the sides wrapped in black plastic bags to keep light out with a clear plastic sheet on top w saran wrap taped in between the 2 to help get a better seal. perlite and everything else necron advised using.

I didn't use any drip shield. I only did it twice and I think my only flaw was not a good enough seal. I could only get around 88-90% humidity.

I followed the tek that was given in the link in a previous post altho I do think what I used was an earlier version.

Out of 2 syringes from PF I was able to get only about 6 good doses. I blame my newby experience and again not good enough humidity.

OfflinejokerGD
interestedindividual
Loc: Earth
    #521519 - 01/15/02 06:05 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I say stick to the basics....

Shroom growing is a step by step process, with a few major steps that can be done in MANY separete ways.

Since you're getting your jars pre-sterilized, I can't say much about this because i've ALWAYS done my own spawn substrate.

However, if you plan on skipping the whole spawn substrate prep, I would say you're left with just innoculating then casing.

For innoculation, hopefully everything will go good for you and within 5-14 days of innoculation you should have something.

I think the easiest method of fruiting is casing. Get a Rubbermaid/Sterlite plastic bin.

Make your casings out of your substrate, bottom layer 1/2" wet vermiculite (sterilized) then your spawn substrate (white mycelium stuff), then on top of that 3/4" 50/50+ mix.

Spray it every other day or so to keep it nice and wet. Anywhere between 5-14 days you should see growth of the mycelium peeking up. At first cover that up with sterilized 50/50+ mix and spray some more water.

Once that peeks through, start fanning the bin twice a day and keep the temp apx 80-83 F... temp is also species dependant....

You'll have nice shrooms within a few days of starting fanning...

Dont worry about cool mist/perlite/humidity/etc if you're gonna be doing casings in plastic bins. As casings themselves do this job quite well.

I also recommend going to your local book store and reading The Mushroom Cultivator by Paul Staments... if you dont wanna buy it just read it a few hours at the store.

-joker

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures