Home | Community | Message Board

North Spore
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hygrometer, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinestelthvue
is frightened ofpoo
Perlite Help
    #5203875 - 01/20/06 08:24 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I have 12 cakes of B+ in half pint jars. I had a foam ice chest that i used as my terrarium. Today i picked up a large tupperware container, a hygrometer, and some perlite. I lined the bottom of the container with perlite 2 inches high. I also poured water in an inch high. Right now the temperature is 78 degrees F and the RH is 40%. I read that its supposed to take a few hours for the RH to get up to 100%, but how long exactly?

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Perlite Help [Re: stelthvue]
    #5203893 - 01/20/06 08:31 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

stelthvue said:
I read that its supposed to take a few hours for the RH to get up to 100%, but how long exactly?

Impossible to answer with any certainty. It could take a few hours or 12. It all depends on the container, temperature, amount of perlite, and fresh air exchange.

InvisibleTrippingDuality
cult classic
 User Gallery

#5203896 - 01/20/06 08:31 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i may be completely off the mark here, but i never had standing water in my FC. i soaked my perlite in a water/peroxide solution for about 25 minutes and drained the perlite in a colander. then i lined the bottom of my FC with 2+ inches of wet perlite. it may not make any difference, but my humidity was always high.

--------------------
turn off your mind relax and float downstream

Offlinestelthvue
is frightened ofpoo
Re: Perlite Help [Re: TrippingDuality]
    #5203908 - 01/20/06 08:36 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

at first i had way too much water in it. then i did some more reading and i believe it said 1 to 2 inches of perlite and 1/2 inch to an inch of water through and through. so i let all the excess water out and filled it back up to about 3/4 of an inch.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Offlineskeletor
the dude
Loc: heaven on earth
    #5203945 - 01/20/06 08:50 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

standing water is useless. maybe have one mm of standing water so that what is evaporated into the air will be replaced. other then that standing water just reduces surface area of the perlite and invites contams (maybe) unless you put in a little h202 but that breaks down.

--------------------
im sorry about your mother. She was a terrible attrative woman.

Get back to nature; hunting burgers and gathering fries.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Perlite Help [Re: skeletor]
    #5203963 - 01/20/06 08:57 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Agreed. You need to start over friend. Place the perlite in a strainer and let water run through it from the faucet. When the perlite has been throughly rinsed, let drain for a minute or two, then dump into your terrarium. Enough water will be stuck to the perlite to give 99% humidity for three weeks or so. Repeat this process after each flush or two. Standing water of any kind will actually lower humidity.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinestelthvue
is frightened ofpoo
Re: Perlite Help [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5204089 - 01/20/06 09:38 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

thanks alot. ill jump right on that.

--------------------

Offlinestelthvue
is frightened ofpoo
    #5206052 - 01/21/06 12:29 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

well i waited overnight and the perlite didnt do a thing. the humidity stayed at 40%. anyone have any other ideas?

--------------------

Offlinecorey420
Stranger
    #5206111 - 01/21/06 01:07 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Maybe your hygromiter isnt calibrated right?my 2cents

Offlinestelthvue
is frightened ofpoo
Re: Perlite Help [Re: corey420]
    #5206115 - 01/21/06 01:10 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i was thinking that too, but when i opened up my terrarium this morning the sides of it werent as wet as it should be. so i resealed it up and im gonna wait another few hours on it. if that doesnt work, im gonna try calibrating it.

--------------------

OfflineMushroomSmoothie
Sushi Fanatic

Loc: Local Brothel
    #5206127 - 01/21/06 01:17 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

If you did what you'r supposed to, you'll have easily 90% RH or more. Your hygrometer is shitty.

--------------------

Offlinestelthvue
is frightened ofpoo
Re: Perlite Help [Re: MushroomSmoothie]
    #5206157 - 01/21/06 01:25 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i got a springfield precision temp from home depot. anyone ever have problems with it?

--------------------

Offlinestelthvue
is frightened ofpoo
    #5206181 - 01/21/06 01:45 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i think i found the problem. i was using a thermometer probe that connects to the hygrometer through a wire so you can watch the temp/rh from outside of the chamber. instead i just put the hygrometer inside the chamber and im gonna see how that works in about an hour.

--------------------

Offlinestelthvue
is frightened ofpoo
    #5206286 - 01/21/06 02:25 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

yup, that was the problem. never trust a temperature probe. i put the hygrometer in the terrarium and it rose to 59% and still rising. thanks for the help guys!

--------------------

Offlineke1n
Stranger
Male

#5236425 - 01/28/06 10:29 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

hey guys im using an equally-shiti hygrometer/thermometer however I did basically the same thing you guys told stelt. I have had moistened per lite in my FC for like 4 hours and the humidity is still 31%. the normal air is very very dry but i have also misted. IT's pissing me off.

I just put my cakes in there. Should I leave them in there and mist alot until the perlite kicks in?

--------------------

Everything that is posted, including pictures and text, are a result of fictional storytelling using images found online and/or created using the latest graphics software. I am a fictional writer who likes to explore the internet world.
------------------------------------

http://www.adobe.com/

OfflineChronicStiffy
Pothead
 User Gallery
Re: Perlite Help [Re: ke1n]
    #5236887 - 01/29/06 01:11 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ke1n said:
hey guys im using an equally-shiti hygrometer/thermometer however I did basically the same thing you guys told stelt. I have had moistened per lite in my FC for like 4 hours and the humidity is still 31%. the normal air is very very dry but i have also misted. IT's pissing me off.

I just put my cakes in there. Should I leave them in there and mist alot until the perlite kicks in?

So you put your hygrometer in your FC and nothing changed?

When you open your FC, is there any condensation on the sides?

Offlineke1n
Stranger
Male

Re: Perlite Help *DELETED* [Re: ChronicStiffy]
    #5236910 - 01/29/06 01:17 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by ke1n

Reason for deletion: no need for this post

--------------------

Everything that is posted, including pictures and text, are a result of fictional storytelling using images found online and/or created using the latest graphics software. I am a fictional writer who likes to explore the internet world.

OfflineChronicStiffy
Pothead
 User Gallery
    #5237025 - 01/29/06 01:40 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

put the hygrometer inside the FC

Offlineke1n
Stranger
Male

Re: Perlite Help [Re: ChronicStiffy]
    #5237137 - 01/29/06 02:08 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

yeha i tried that and it helps alot. i guess that leak where the wire went through the lid was enough to drain the humidity

at 69% right now and rising. hopefully it goes to 95%

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #5237540 - 01/29/06 05:15 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Electronic hygrometers are not suitable for mycology. Get an analog one from a cigar shop and calibrate it.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hygrometer, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation